TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Very interesting ride. It reminds me both of Nitro and of Goliath. I regret that it reminds me of Nitro, as I really thought the ride was boring, but I love the fact that it also reminds me of Goliath as its one of my favorites.

First the things I don't like. A lot of the hills seem quite tall, and as others have said, don't look too promising on the air time front. Nitro was the same for me: lots of tall hills but little air-time on them. I found this to get boring pretty quick. Another negative for me is the high turnaround. Again, as on Nitro and others, I find them pretty boring and forceless. Finally, I've found, again as with Nitro, that having some of the ride being by itself in the woods or in a field makes you lose your perspective of height, and sometimes makes the ride feel smaller than it is.

There are a lot of things about the ride I really like though. First off I really like the fact that the first hill seems to go down over a midway. Plummeting down head first towards a midway really makes you realize how high up you are, and is one of my favorite sensations on a coaster. And although much of the ride is in the woods, there still seems to be a lot of low to the ground elements which are exciting. Also the second half of the ride really seems to interact with the midways which I think adds to the overall excitement of the ride. The ride also has a great height and speed, and the trains certainly seem good (haven't been on Behemoth).

Overall it looks like a promising ride. Yes it is the same old (and getting somewhat tired) B&M design, but this is really just what the doctor ordered for Kings Island. That park is so full of "gimmick" coasters you really just want one normal B&M hyper that you can ride over and over. This is what I said after visiting the park for the first time two years ago, and still believe it. I think this ride will be perfect for the park, and should be a lot of fun.

I know i'm going to get heat for this... but 36 years in the making and this is the best they could come up with I see putting CF and B&M together equals BLAH! these two companies have not a creative bone in their bodies. Why in the hell are these parks spending 20+ million dollars on the same cookie cutter B&M Bullsh%$T, hell CF should of gotten this for atleast half price since it's nothing NEW to this ride . That's like a park paying 20+ million for pretty much a B:TR clone why?

The theme/name is also lame Diamond back it took 36 years to come up with that?Hell Mustang would of been much better and atleast original heck the LSHOF would of been a much better name theme then Diamond Back, also what Diamond Back is red, yellow and cream colored, and splashes through water? CF should of really shown they're creative skills and just named the damn ride Hypercoaster

My god where is Intamin when you need them? a megalite themed to a septic tank would be 10x better then this imo. Sorry but i'm just totally anti-B&M

this rides ok, behemoth owns this ride right away, copying behemoth and nitro, and the splashdown is only cool part.

differences

behemoth-longer,better,bigger drop and steeper by 1 degree

this one- splashdown

Overall it looks like a promising ride. Yes it is the same old (and getting somewhat tired) B&M design, but this is really just what the doctor ordered for Kings Island. That park is so full of "gimmick" coasters you really just want one normal B&M hyper that you can ride over and over. This is what I said after visiting the park for the first time two years ago, and still believe it. I think this ride will be perfect for the park, and should be a lot of fun.

I agree. I'd take a "tame" hyper over an overly-intense any day. If it's too intense, it loses its re-rideability.

I am really liking the looks of this new coaster! If it is anything like Nitro, it's going to be awesome. A big (215ft) steep (74 degree) first drop, lots of airtime hills, overbanked turn, 2 helixs, splash down. It should be a great ride. I hope I can get out there within the next few years to ride it.

I know i'm going to get heat for this... but 36 years in the making and this is the best they could come up with I see putting CF and B&M together equals BLAH! these two companies have not a creative bone in their bodies. Why in the hell are these parks spending 20+ million dollars on the same cookie cutter B&M Bullsh%$T, hell CF should of gotten this for atleast half price since it's nothing NEW to this ride . That's like a park paying 20+ million for pretty much a B:TR clone why?

The theme/name is also lame Diamond back it took 36 years to come up with that?Hell Mustang would of been much better and atleast original heck the LSHOF would of been a much better name theme then Diamond Back, also what Diamond Back is red, yellow and cream colored, and splashes through water? CF should of really shown they're creative skills and just named the damn ride Hypercoaster

My god where is Intamin when you need them? a megalite themed to a septic tank would be 10x better then this imo. Sorry but i'm just totally anti-B&M

and behemoth kicks this ride a$$ big time, just by looks i can feel it.

this rides ok, behemoth owns this ride right away, copying behemoth and nitro, and the splashdown is only cool part.

differences

this one- splashdown

Oh boy! 1 degree steeper!!#@!@#!@#!@#

WARNING: Serious coaster-nerd moment featuring conversational critique/debate about recent coaster design, as well as the direction of Bolliger & Mabillard. This is not specific criticism for Diamondback.

While I am pretty excited about this ride, I can't help but wonder if Walter and Claude are simply losing their motivation. It's been no secret that many people feel that B&M are losing their touch, and I'm one of them. They just seem to make no effort to create a truly unique ride anymore. More and more, their creations seem to have a strikingly familiar flow, particularly in the hyper department. It's almost as if they have their own short set of pre-designed elements like in NoLimits and they just change the size percentage to fit the specified height and layout. For example, the entire flow and order of Diamondback bears a striking resemblance to Nitro. Furthermore, the first drop and following camel back is essentially a tweaked version of the same elements on Behemoth and Goliath (SFOG). The second camel back is essentially a tweaked version of the same element on Goliath (SFOG), Nitro, or any other B&M camel back. The turn-around is essentially the same as that of Behemoth, Nitro, and moderately Silver Star and Hollywood Dream. After which, there is the generic camel back, followed by an uphill turn onto the mid-course. The mid-course is followed by the exact same over-sized bunny hills that is seen following a mid-course on every single B&M hyper. The end of Diamondback features the exact same turn found on Behemoth in the far right of this picture, followed by a splashdown.

Again, I'm not saying that Diamondback is going to suck. This is not a criticism of Diamondback. It just seems that B&M is losing their drive or imagination. They rarely branch out to try and create a truly unique design. There have been a few spots of uniqueness in recent years, such as Tatsu, Hydra, and Hollywood Dream, but the majority of their coasters seem to follow a similar format within their respective ride style. So, have they lost their drive, is this just what parks are asking for, or have they simply discovered that they don't have to put much effort into their layout designs in order to get a park to purchase from them?

Who knows. Sorry, I had to dork out. Again, I'm not trying to pick a fight about Diamondback, but simply questioning B&M's business progression.

differences

this one- splashdown

Oh boy! 1 degree steeper!!#@!@#!@#!@#

lol, i know. butit kinda makes a difference. i think?

pretty excited about this ride, I can't help but wonder if Walter and Claude are simply losing their motivation. It's been no secret that many people feel that B&M are losing their touch, and I'm one of them. They just seem to make no effort to create a truly unique ride anymore.

B&M just does what the park wants, if Cedar Fair says they want a ride similar to Behemoth with some layout change for a specific area thats exactly what B&M will do.

^I would like to know how Behemoth kicks this rides a$$? It's not even built yet!

it has the same features as nitro, and i've been on it and its an ok ride, behemoth is alot better to be honest, so this is basically a kind of a copy of alot of rides, which is not original is it. only thing new is the splashdown.

I liked what I saw in the POV. It's like Nitro in the woods, which is fine by me because Nitro is my second favorite hyper coaster. I actually like Nitro better than 3 of the Intamin hypers I've been on. Only GeForce tops it for me.

Working in the industry (news), I can tell you that it normally isn't the anchors who say those things are not the ones who right them. That is what producers do, anchors only proof read and most of the time make it so they can say things correctly on air.
You don't have to tell me. I'm a TV news geek myself. I could tell you about graphics, sets, bumpers, stingers, the list goes on.

I just think it would be common sense that it's not open yet and they shouldn't ask "how it felt."

Scaparri, I don't believe that B&M is losing their touch or motivation. They build what the park orders. Parks are probably ordering rides that have the same elements because they know it will work. If they build it they are positive everything will work out and they will still have a great ride. That is how I feel on the situation. Would I like B&M to become a little more unique? Of course, but I don't expect it so I am happy with what they build.

I liked what I saw in the POV. It's like Nitro in the woods, which is fine by me because Nitro is my second favorite hyper coaster. I actually like Nitro better than 3 of the Intamin hypers I've been on. Only GeForce tops it for me.

im not saying it sucks its an ok ride, but sont you want something original?

WARNING: Serious coaster-nerd moment featuring conversational critique/debate about recent coaster design, as well as the direction of Bolliger & Mabillard. This is not specific criticism for Diamondback.

While I am pretty excited about this ride, I can't help but wonder if Walter and Claude are simply losing their motivation. It's been no secret that many people feel that B&M are losing their touch, and I'm one of them. They just seem to make no effort to create a truly unique ride anymore. More and more, their creations seem to have a strikingly familiar flow, particularly in the hyper department. It's almost as if they have their own short set of pre-designed elements like in NoLimits and they just change the size percentage to fit the specified height and layout. For example, the entire flow and order of Diamondback bears a striking resemblance to Nitro. Furthermore, the first drop and following camel back is essentially a tweaked version of the same elements on Behemoth and Goliath (SFOG). The second camel back is essentially a tweaked version of the same element on Goliath (SFOG), Nitro, or any other B&M camel back. The turn-around is essentially the same as that of Behemoth, Nitro, and moderately Silver Star and Hollywood Dream. After which, there is the generic camel back, followed by an uphill turn onto the mid-course. The mid-course is followed by the exact same over-sized bunny hills that is seen following a mid-course on every single B&M hyper. The end of Diamondback features the exact same turn found on Behemoth in the far right of this picture, followed by a splashdown.

Again, I'm not saying that Diamondback is going to suck. This is not a criticism of Diamondback. It just seems that B&M is losing their drive or imagination. They rarely branch out to try and create a truly unique design. There have been a few spots of uniqueness in recent years, such as Tatsu, Hydra, and Hollywood Dream, but the majority of their coasters seem to follow a similar format within their respective ride style. So, have they lost their drive, is this just what parks are asking for, or have they simply discovered that they don't have to put much effort into their layout designs in order to get a park to purchase from them?

Who knows. Sorry, I had to dork out. Again, I'm not trying to pick a fight about Diamondback, but simply questioning B&M's business progression.

I feel the same way about B&M. It is like they do not want to explore new boundaries. Manta looks...sort of different and hopefully some new ride may stand out from the rest...but now I kind of doubt it

I think this ride looks like it will be a great improvement for the park. The park was in need of a B&M and a hyper, so this covers both. Yeah, it may not be the world's most innovative ride, but were any of you really surprised when the announcement came this morning that the ride was very similar to the other B&M hypers? I, for one, wasn't expecting this extremely unique layout with all new elements to boot. Therefore, I'm not let down at all. I'm actually really happy with this. The ride is very good looking (even if it is the common CF color scheme, there isn't much red in Kings Island) and should be a dramatic addition to the skyline. And the second drop almost as big as the first one is definitely going to be thrilling in my opinion.

The only thing that I would have loved to see on this ride was to keep the exact same layout, but to remove the third hill and replace it with a high-speed, low-lying overbanked turn into a small bunny hill up into the turnaround. That would have been great and would have been really fun to go through the woods close to the ground at such high speeds.

it has the same features as nitro, and i've been on it and its an ok ride, behemoth is alot better to be honest, so this is basically a kind of a copy of alot of rides, which is not original is it. only thing new is the splashdown.

I just don't understand how you can say Behemoth is a better ride if you haven't been on the coaster yet. For all we know it may turn out to be the best coaster ever. I highly doubt it but we don't know cause no one has ridden it yet.

I am so freaking excited about this ride. I have not been to KI yet and this will give me yet another reason to visit next year. Hypers are my favorite style of coaster and I am glad KI is getting one. I like almost everything that I have seen about this coaster thus far (minus the Deja/Behemoth style trains which I will try not to complain about.) Good for KI for getting a hyper. Now if Carowinds could just get their rumored hyper next year, I will be set!

You mean in 2010 don't you? Carowinds is getting GL's boomerang in 09.

Let's see how long it'll be before someone complains about the drop angle not being 74 degrees & saying the park lied about it like the folks on the CWL sites did with Behemoth this year....everyone always finds something they don't like about a new ride.be it the name or the overall layout or the color scheme.

I would like to see how much of the general public is going to criticize how this coaster compares to other B&M hypers. Knowing how the economy is in Ohio, I doubt many in Kings Island's super region have ridden Behemoth, Nitro, Goliath, Raging Bull, or Apollo's Chariot.

While it's easy to point out how B&M is copying elements of other coasters, we're seeing the first splashdown not on a Busch Gardens dive machine. The ride also travels over the midway, with the return portion very close to the midway, hovering over the Crypt and Beast plazas - very photogenic. It uses the best of both worlds - prominently placed while tucked into the woods at the same time.

Besides, there's been a large amount of people - even those who don't consider themselves coaster freaks - who have been wanting Kings Island to build a ride like this. The combination of speed, height, airtime, length and capacity is indisputable. Also, it greatly utilizes the park's terrain, which has helped to make The Beast so great. The coaster has a bit of gimmick to it, but it won't be overly reliant upon the gimmick to make it a great ride.

Diamondback may not be the most unique hyper in the world, but it's nice for me not having to drive to Chicago, Williamsburg, Jackson NJ, or Atlanta just to ride a B&M hyper.

While I must agree with Scaparri, B&M isn't building many of those cutting edge, awesome coasters they were building a few years ago, I also agree with yankees15 in that, quite frankly, B&M hasn't been asked to do anything cutting edge by their customers for quite some time. I think right now parks are content with building what's tried and proven and are not really into building anything too groundbreaking, like they were a few years ago.

As far as Diamondback goes, I think, as unoriginal as it may be, it will be a great ride and may persuade me to visit KI next year.

Diamondback looks pretty cool to me, granted I haven't been on any B&M hypers. Is Intamin building any rides in the states anymore? I would think if SROS and Ge Force are constantly 1&2 why wouldn't more parks want them? Are they more expensive or less reliable? B&M is buiding a ton of rides, Getting orders for more than they can produce. I am more a fan of Intamin, but what gives?