TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

2 hours ago, PKI Jizzman said:

I had a great day dodging storms at KI today. Outside of the beer and food options for the 50th anny, I didn't really feel like there was this huge celebration going on.

The park has a massive dead space from Orion to Beast; Antique Cars is the only attraction of note there and its nostalgia is wearing off tbh. There's nothing to do. No, no one is spending $ on the big games from the 70s still standing there taking up most of the space in the area.

Mystic Timbers tried to take off my shirt every ride lol but god the operations were bad.

Most of the 50th stuff is kinda easy to miss - the history in Tower Gardens, the art on display in one of the stores, the once-a-day-and-now-it's-over(?) parade, the nightly fireworks/drone show.

Um...Shake Rattle and Roll (their Troika) is awesome, and you forgot about Backlot.  Or maybe you didn't, you did say "attraction of note" LOL.

As for Mystic trying to lift your shirt over your head, I thought I was the only one it does that to!

14 hours ago, PKI Jizzman said:

I had a great day dodging storms at KI today. Outside of the beer and food options for the 50th anny, I didn't really feel like there was this huge celebration going on.

The biggest piece of the 50th were the (really great!) shows, and unfortunately they almost all ended on either August 14 or 21. The only one left is Fun, Fireworks, and Fifty which only runs during 10 p.m. closes.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RideThroughTime said:

The biggest piece of the 50th were the (really great!) shows, and unfortunately they almost all ended on either August 14 or 21. The only one left is Fun, Fireworks, and Fifty which only runs during 10 p.m. closes.

I did follow some reviews about the shows/Phantom Theater, looked like a nice compliment to the ride and the park. I wasn't able to stay into the evening so I didn't get to see the fireworks show, but I did watch the official video when I got home! Looked really nice! 

1 hour ago, PKI Jizzman said:

Also Disney Ducks < Beastly Woodchuck 😅

20220821_112934.jpg

Ha there is a huge groundhog, to me, (woodchuck to you) colony around Screaming Eagle at SFSTL too. I too often get partially undressed by Mystic Timbers and a few other coasters. Iron Gwazi is the worst for that in recent memory.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Family and I have been considering for a while trying out Camp Cedar with an RV. We may end up doing it some time before the end of the year, most likely during Haunt, but Winterfest is also an option of course. Has anyone here ever stayed there? Any takeaways, likes/dislikes, or things we should consider before going?

• 2 weeks later...

Never realized how much nostalgic value KI had to me until I confirmed my trip there this sunday… 😅

My brother and I have FL+, husband hates coasters so he’s just either holding phones or drinking beers (which, of course we’ll join at some point!) but, I’ve not been to the park since probably 2018 so I’m not too sure what to expect as far as changes to what’s best to hit first, etc. Also fingers crossed Wishbone Grill is open… see above 🫠 TIA!

3 hours ago, kahill04 said:

Never realized how much nostalgic value KI had to me until I confirmed my trip there this sunday… 😅

My brother and I have FL+, husband hates coasters so he’s just either holding phones or drinking beers (which, of course we’ll join at some point!) but, I’ve not been to the park since probably 2018 so I’m not too sure what to expect as far as changes to what’s best to hit first, etc. Also fingers crossed Wishbone Grill is open… see above 🫠 TIA!

With FL+, you can kinda do whatever you want in any order.  But if you have interest in Bat or Woodstock Express, I'd hit those early since neither is on FL.

I'll be visiting the park this weekend Friday, Saturday, and the first couple hours Sunday for the first time. I have FL+ Friday only. With this being the opening weekend of Haunt, how early should I line up to park? Any row recommendations on Adventure Express, junior wooden, and Vekoma Hang n Bangs?

1 hour ago, CaptainUnknown said:

I'll be visiting the park this weekend Friday, Saturday, and the first couple hours Sunday for the first time. I have FL+ Friday only. With this being the opening weekend of Haunt, how early should I line up to park? Any row recommendations on Adventure Express, junior wooden, and Vekoma Hang n Bangs?

I would get there an hour before the posted opening time to be safe.

The only place for an adult to ride Woodstock Express is the back.  Adventure express, I prefer a middle-row (non-wheel seat) to wards the front, but it really doesn't matter.  Flying Ace...if I'm riding it, which I rarely do, it's in the back.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, prozach626 said:

Before entry is denied at 6pm

Maybe front row on Adventure Express, for the view. I would say no rows on the latter, since they're for children.

Nope. . Woodstock Express is a Junior Woodie, not a kiddie coaster.  Same with the Vekoma suspended, it's a Junior.

if you told him don't ride Great Pumpkin Coaster, then I'd agree. . as THAT one *is* a kiddie coaster. . it just does the oval thing, and you can't ride without a child anyways.
(I skip that one at Coasterstock when adults ARE allowed to ride it).

that said?  skip the Vekoma headbang suspended. .it's AWFUL. .even in the front row.

Woodstock Express is decent in any row, tho I prefer 1st or 2nd row.   (adults easily fit in these trains, with buzz bars only). . .it's not as smooth as the ones at KD and Carowinds, but it IS a fun little coaster.

IMG_8720.thumb.JPG.ddd74079b40b0d0a4d8ce6aa1815d011.JPG

- while over here in Camp Snoopy tho?  I highly recommend a ride on Woodstock's Whirlybirds - elevated "helicopter" monorail. . it does have a little bit of a dip, and it's powered, so maybe call it a "coaster" ?  the ride vehicles are large, and it gives a nice breeze as well as a lovely view of the area.

IMG_8723.thumb.JPG.2e067d9e7f0ce82bd70c58859d3a0c62.JPG

IMG_8726.thumb.JPG.df638e599cbe18c6c25280aefbd9cc0f.JPG

IMG_8729.thumb.JPG.ceacad0d2c4fc32df5d4913d6750a702.JPG
as to Adventure Express?  Love it.. but it can get rickety the further back you sit.    Non-wheel seat (row 2) is probably the best, tho I'd just grit my teeth and do row 1 for the view (as Zach said)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And as an addendum to Bert's pics.....that was the youngest (though not shortest) of the group riding in the back of Woodstock Express, but everyone in the pic was over 18 and I don't believe that was ert at Coasterstock, I think it was just after regular open. Also, the Whirlybirds are legit because that is a genuine, bona fide smile on a normally expressionless "too cool to smile" 19 year old. Of course it occurred when Mom was not in the vicinity 😝

• Like 1

How's the Haunt this year? The weather is getting colder and I'm getting excited about our trip later next month. I would imagine the last weekend before Halloween might be pretty busy, but oh well. Binge day 2022.

Why did they get rid of the dude who used to talk shit from the balcony while guests were waiting to enter the park? He was great.

Going to be swinging through Cincy area Saturday evening.  We have platinum passes and bought Fright Lane. Plan on doing only Haunt stuff.   Have never been to KI Haunt before.  Any tips/ tricks to get the most out of one night I know will be ridiculously busy?  I.E.  Order of houses?  Thanks.

You have Fright Lane. You'll be able to hit all of them with minimal wait, and time to spare. If anything, just stay on the rides for a couple hours when the Haunt starts. 1) The ride lines will die, because everyone will rush to the haunts. 2) By the time you get to the haunts, you'll have no wait with Fright Lane.

• Like 1

Near the end of opening night this year, I had a 5 minute wait for Kill Mart and a 0 minute wait for the one in the old Tomb Raider building. Slight rain may have had a hand in that. And on might 2, the lines I saw were short as well at the end of the night.

I went into the event not expecting/really wanting to do the houses due to lines/the fact I've worked better haunts.  The trip was more about the night rides anyways.

We're going to be there Friday and Saturday. Despite all the visits we have to KI, we've never been there for haunt so looking forward to it. Just decided to have an enjoyable trip so got Frightlanes for Fri night and FL+ for Saturday and therefore no need for complicated ride strategy. Although I did see a report that lines to get into the parking lot can be atrocious. Anyone know if that has been the case for Fri nights? Just trying to decide how early we need to be lined up at the tollbooth or since we have the Frightlanes if we are just as well off to let the initial wave get in and then show up a half hour later.

The lines are bad after about 5. We've never had any problems during the day. I think the cutoff for entry is 6pm, so if you leave the park, get your ass back by at least 5 to be safe. We cut it close one year, after we left for dinner and beer. Finding a parking spot was also difficult.