TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

17 minutes ago, Danrarbc said:

how intensive are Ohio ride investigations compared to New Jersey?

Steel Vengeance crashed and opened a few hours later. It's Ohio.

As for everything else that you said, just because we only saw a photo of one piece of damaged track doesn't mean that's all there is. I wouldn't be surprised if this ride opens in the next few days, I also wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't open until next season. Nobody is going to be able to get anywhere near this thing until it reopens just because of it's location so we're just making assumptions based on 3 photos.

3 hours ago, coasterbill said:

Steel Vengeance crashed and opened a few hours later. It's Ohio.

As for everything else that you said, just because we only saw a photo of one piece of damaged track doesn't mean that's all there is. I wouldn't be surprised if this ride opens in the next few days, I also wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't open until next season. Nobody is going to be able to get anywhere near this thing until it reopens just because of it's location so we're just making assumptions based on 3 photos.

I could picture premier, S&S or Vekoma retracking large sections. I would assume it would also prolong its life span. Then have some new lap bar vekoma trains installed!!!!!

4 hours ago, grsupercity said:

I could picture premier, S&S or Vekoma retracking large sections. I would assume it would also prolong its life span. Then have some new lap bar vekoma trains installed!!!!!

Major renovations would be good. But none of that necessary to get the ride reopened. KI has all of the materials and tools on hand to fix the damaged rails because they were already doing rail work on the coaster within the last few months.

On 6/23/2022 at 6:57 PM, haydn12 said:

We rode row 17 a few weeks on the Beast and was amazed how smooth it was.  Park looked dead yesterday. 

Isn't that insane? I normally avoid the back end of older woodies as I favor not getting amateur spinal replacement but row 17 is amazing. I don't quite get it but truly best row on the train.

I've been told I was crazy for recommending row 17 here before. Locals know.  More should know and try it.   Front row or 17 is the way to go.

Still haven't been able to get up there this year to try the Beast or Racer yet.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, tndank said:

I've been told I was crazy for recommending row 17 here before. Locals know.  More should know and try it.   Front row or 17 is the way to go.

Still haven't been able to get up there this year to try the Beast or Racer yet.

They are both running great this year! I had always ridden Beast in the front but so glad I tried row 17 this year. I'm converted!

• Like 1

Got back from a recent trip to Ohio to visit the two Cedar Fair parks in the area (along with other miscellany). I visited Kings Island from the evening of Sunday, July 3rd through Monday, July 4th.

Crowds on July 3rd were pretty bad, but it surprisingly didn't feel unmanageable (unlike some of the other Cedar Fair parks that I have hit on holiday weekends). Lines seemed to be mostly <1hour. However, I was actually pretty shocked at how reasonable the crowds were on 4th of July itself. I was actually preparing for the worst and was planning to visit the park again the following day, but I got more than my fill of King's Island after that full day on the 4th, and moved other parts of my vacation up in the schedule. I was able to ride most major roller coasters twice, and got 4 rides on the Beast and Adventure Express each, as they were easily my favorite rides.

Miscellaneous Major Rides Thoughts

• Adventure Express - I thought this was a really pretty great Arrow Minetrain, and although I love the ridiculous ending, I think that idiot kids think of it as an invitation to be as loud and obnoxious as possible.
  • Mystic Timbers - They clearly put in effort around this ride, and I thought the theming in the final break run was effective. However, it feels like they put in that ending to address how much overkill three train operations are on such a short, slowly loading ride.
  • The Beast - I ended up waiting quite a long time in the queue line due to fireworks on my first night because I am dumb. However, the wait was basically worth it: That first night ride was pretty magical, and I think that the Beast would be a strong contender for my favorite wooden coaster if the subsequent daytime rides the following day were nearly as good. Even with the somewhat disappointing daytime rides, I think that this was my favorite ride at Kings Island just for how unique it is.
  • Flight of Fear - the theming of the queue and loading platform were pretty great, and because I knew that the ride is infamously rough, I rode defensively. I can definitely see why people don't like it though. Also, I think that it had the worst operations of the major roller coasters in the park due to the unusual restraint system.
  • Flying Ace Aerial Chase - the worst ride in the park. Boring and rough.

Theming

• There was more effort in theming than I expected, with some partially themed major rides and very deliberate mini themed areas. Overall King's Island is a gorgeous park.

Food

• I was actually impressed with the one major food item that I bought at Kings Island. While most of the food seems like standard Cedar Fair amusement park junk, I ended up having the pork nachos at the Miami River Brewhouse which tasted good and was an obscene amount of food (basically double what I had anticipated), especially for an appetizer and especially for an amusement park. It actually felt like a good deal (by my standards).

Clientele

• This is my biggest issue with the park. It sort of feels like parents just let their kids loose in the park to a higher degree than most other regional parks that I have visited. While this isn't necessarily bad in itself, those kids were more disruptive than usual - a couple of incidents crossed the line from obnoxious to outright harassment. And there was another time where some kid caused the Beast to estop by removing their seatbelt on the first lifthill.

Overall, I think that Kings Island might be my favorite Cedar Fair park that I have visited. In theory, the ride lineup isn't as good of a fit for me as Knotts Berry Farm, but Kings Island seems to be better able to deal with large crowds and so it was a much more pleasant experience (outside of the unfortunate issues with the clientele).

Kings Island is by a major city so families do drop off their kids at the park while they work.  We have friends that used to live about 2 miles from the park and they would drop their kids off during the day at least once a week while they worked.   Cedar Point isn't by a major city so they seem to cater more to families in the summer.  You do get quite a few school trips at the end of the school year. 

I noticed on the webcams on July 4th that the park was empty with walk-ons for Diamondback.  It looked like almost all the rides were walk-ons.

Who knew kids would be at an amusement park acting like kids? If only Kings Island catered to middle aged visitors without kids, like the rest of the parks in the industry and their target markets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm going to visit KI for the first time ever on Friday and I'm excited. From reading through this thread it looks like the ride pass+ is gonna be the absolute way to go. I'd ask for tips, but reading the last few pages and excellent trip reports has given me what I think I need, so thank you all for that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thisdougsforu said:

I'm going to visit KI for the first time ever on Friday and I'm excited. From reading through this thread it looks like the ride pass+ is gonna be the absolute way to go. I'd ask for tips, but reading the last few pages and excellent trip reports has given me what I think I need, so thank you all for that.

Get your Fastlane plus wrist band and proceed immediately to The Bat. It doesn't have Fastlane Plus. After that, take the park at your own pace. Enjoy visiting the best one-day park in the country. (Maybe 2nd to Worlds of Fun, right?)

I cansecond that. We had one day with FL+ and rode everything as much as we wanted, plus having a nice sitdown lunch, had time to stroll through the park  and enough spare time for all the smaller rides we would have skipped because we stood in lines.

We had an All-In-One-Ticket with food, drinks, FL+, parking and more perks. It was definitely worth it as we had not to worry about anything with a reasonable price.

23 hours ago, Pedrinho said:

We had an All-In-One-Ticket with food, drinks, FL+, parking and more perks. It was definitely worth it as we had not to worry about anything with a reasonable price.

Gonna sound like some PR rep saying this, but I genuinely think that All Inclusive package is a really good move from KI for folks wanting to get the most out of one day at the park. Guaranteeing a worry-free visit to a park in just one purchase is always a good move in my book. Glad to hear it worked out so well for your group!

On 7/11/2022 at 4:20 PM, thisdougsforu said:

If you can budget it in, I'd recommend it too.

4 hours ago, Midgetman82 said:

Gonna sound like some PR rep saying this, but I genuinely think that All Inclusive package is a really good move from KI for folks wanting to get the most out of one day at the park. Guaranteeing a worry-free visit to a park in just one purchase is always a good move in my book. Glad to hear it worked out so well for your group!

Funny. This was the very reason we booked it. At first, we didn't really sum up the single prices. We we're on our first US vacation and knew that we had one spare day between DC and a NASCAR race in Kentucky. KI was on the way and we just wanted to get sure to get everything done, not to worry about food and drinks and parking. As the price for the AIO ticket was just a bit over entrance and FL+, we knew that parking, food, drinks and pics were basically for free.
I'm not sure how the price difference would be as of today, but if the AIO ticket is still a thing, I would highly recommend to do the math and evaluate.

EDIT: Just checked. AIO is not available at all days - but when it is, it's still a valid option. You get admission (50 $), FL+ (95 $) and preferred parking (35 $) for 199 $. So you eat and drink almost for free all day and get Funpics. I would consider that every day just for having not to worrs about anything. Not the big steal we had back in the days, but still good. Also, there is something like a VIP lounge. I don't know what that is.

7 minutes ago, tndank said:

They have a $5 spin the wheel game now for Front of the Line passes.  Spin and land on a ride.  Players choice, Orion, Banshee, Monster, etc. I like this idea for some reason.

Yeah, they had that out near Tom + Chee and Diamondback's entrance during my visit back over Memorial Day.  I didn't see it anywhere during my most recent trip over 4th of July.  Glad to hear its back.

15 hours ago, tndank said:

They have a $5 spin the wheel game now for Front of the Line passes.  Spin and land on a ride.  Players choice, Orion, Banshee, Monster, etc. I like this idea for some reason.

They first brought that out in 2009 for Diamondback's opening year and it lingered and bounced to Firehawk, fun to hear it's back around. It's the only game where you win something of value lol