TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

they've posted multiple updates on their YouTube page:

. . . they didn't redesign the ride, it's the same layout, so not really any rush to put out another POV, is there?

• Like 1

I've heard good things about the Beast so far. Sounds like the biggest difference is the long covered straightaway section's trims have been reworked or redone and don't pull as hard. Then there's maybe a bunny hill added before entering the second tunnel/first helix and the ride really maintains speed from there, hurling around those 3 right turns and firing up the 2nd lift high before the chain catches you some say it's reminded them of the 80s. Sooo it could be overhype or just great news that it's running better than ever. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, CP_RULES said:

I really really want to go to KI, but now that TTD down for the season at CP has been confirmed I am not sure... My husband is not an enthusiast and only entertains these trips for me. He asked me where I would want to go to include a park too, and Ohio was where I said. I am not sure Cincinnati provides enough of a draw for a whole trip for us. As a non-enthusiast, TTD was a must for him and CP was the icing on the trip.

I also have HUGE doubts about Mystic Timbers based on my Prowler experience. I would go into it with super low expectations, surely it could beat those. 

Its not just Cincinnati, youre 2 hours from Louisville (Churchill Downs, Louisville Slugger Museum) and Kentucky Kingdom and one hour from Lexington if the Ark Encounter is something that interests you. Theres also a Great Wolf Lodge next door to KI. 

^Yea call me different I guess. Horse racing is a laughable tradition, baseball is boring, KK closed for a reason, I don’t know what an ark encounter is but sounds terribly religious, and we have a Great Wolf here in KC I have proudly never been to. 

TTD is a one trick pony but it is one of those experiences that stays with you for a lifetime. Like seeing the Grand Canyon or skydiving. We will go to KI someday, but I don’t think this year is the one.

Churchill Downs as a facility is what I was suggesting, not a horse race, you wont see a baseball game at the Louisville Slugger museum, KK still has a roller coasters and you are correct about the Ark Encounter. Next time ill try and cater my suggestions to your unknown tastes. Id suggest hitting the Kentucky Bourbon Trail but I assume you dont like that either. 

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, CP_RULES said:

^Yea call me different I guess. Horse racing is a laughable tradition, baseball is boring, KK closed for a reason, I don’t know what an ark encounter is but sounds terribly religious, and we have a Great Wolf here in KC I have proudly never been to. 

Well at least you're not opinionated.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, PKI Jizzman said:

You're spot on with suggestions but idk why anyone would suggest Ark Encounter 🤣🤣 9/10 Haymaker

I thought the Ark itself was impressive, kind of boring beyond that.

^
Personally I thought it was interesting and wish I could have spent more time reading and looking at things, but my children wanted to get through quickly to get to the zoo section and the playground.
I understand why some people would have no interest at all in the Ark Encounter, but I'm a Christian and it was designed for my demographic, so I can understand why people would be really interested in it and why some people would have no interest at all.
Hard to know from a forum what people would be interested in, but it is a thing between Kings Island and Kentucky Kingdom that some people may be interested in.  If you're not that's fine, you can always just drive right past that exit and that's fine too.

• Like 6

On 5/12/2022 at 10:18 PM, Haymaker said:

Churchill Downs as a facility is what I was suggesting, not a horse race, you wont see a baseball game at the Louisville Slugger museum, KK still has a roller coasters and you are correct about the Ark Encounter. Next time ill try and cater my suggestions to your unknown tastes. Id suggest hitting the Kentucky Bourbon Trail but I assume you dont like that either. 

What does one do at a facility for horse racing when a horse race is not happening? The Louisville Slugger Museum certainly won't hold a baseball game, but I doubt a museum about baseball [bats] is going to be exciting for someone who doesn't like baseball. Going to KK would add another park chain and would void the benefit of the double Cedar Fair parks with season passes (not to mention I can get my home park out of that too... not that that is much of a benefit). The Bourbon Trail is more up my alley. Like I said, call me different, but I don't recall asking for anyone's opinion.

On 5/12/2022 at 11:02 PM, prozach626 said:

Well at least you're not opinionated.

My therapist prefers to call it sassy. 😘

On 5/10/2022 at 4:22 PM, CP_RULES said:

I really really want to go to KI, but now that TTD down for the season at CP has been confirmed I am not sure. As a non-enthusiast, TTD was a must for him and CP was the icing on the trip.

I also have HUGE doubts about Mystic Timbers based on my Prowler experience. I would go into it with super low expectations, surely it could beat those. 

On 5/7/2022 at 3:32 PM, CP_RULES said:

I am considering an Ohio trip with my husband to introduce him to Cedar Point and we would stop at KI as well. Neither of us have been to KI, but the Beast is a ride I have been wanting to ride for years. Glad to see it get some love instead of being torn out or even RMC'd!

I love TTD and it sucks that it's closed for the season. I would understand wanting to put off the visit, but you still got MF, Maverick, and SV. SV is worth the visit alone. I'm sure your husband will still have fun want want to go back.

KI is my second favorite park behind CP. KI has a good coaster collection, good operations, and is aesthetically pleasing. It's definitely worth a visit.

Mystic Timbers is great and it's one of my favorite wooden coasters. It feels much faster than it is, strong laterals, nice pops of air, and smooth. Really good during the day and even better at night. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I love The Beast. It's one of my favorite wooden coasters and my favorite at KI. It's more about speed and feeling out of control. Not much airtime to speak of. The helix is one of my favorite moments on a coaster and is lateral bliss. The Beast is a better experience at night and it's my favorite night ride. I would say go in with moderate expectations.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 10:19 PM, Mike240SX said:

Don't show this to the SFStL thread...according to their fanboys it takes two years to properly renovate a carousel.

On 5/1/2022 at 9:38 PM, prozach626 said:

You beat me to it. It's cool that ours will take three years, which is somehow totally acceptable among our enthusiasts.

You are both more than intelligent enough to know that the KI carousel was much better maintained, did not need the TOTAL "down to the studs" refurb as the SFSTL carousel, and that the situations are no where near the same thing. Joking or not, stop stirring the pot.

3 hours ago, CP_RULES said:

What does one do at a facility for horse racing when a horse race is not happening? The Louisville Slugger Museum certainly won't hold a baseball game, but I doubt a museum about baseball [bats] is going to be exciting for someone who doesn't like baseball. Going to KK would add another park chain and would void the benefit of the double Cedar Fair parks with season passes (not to mention I can get my home park out of that too... not that that is much of a benefit). The Bourbon Trail is more up my alley. Like I said, call me different, but I don't recall asking for anyone's opinion.

Not that you apparently are really interested but since you asked, they have a very nice horseracing museum there and there are various tours you can take. The basic one being very reasonably priced and it lets you walk under the famous grandstand that the race participants take and go into the paddock area. It is a very unique and famous venue. For what it's worth you did kind of ask for reasons to visit the area besides just the park and when a couple people gave you some ideas you crapped all over them, even though you've experienced none of them. A  polite thank you or better yet "if you have nothing nice to say just say nothing policy" would have been appropriate. Not everything suggested is my cup of tea either but no reason to be mean when people have offered suggestions that you asked for. And if you won't visit CP without TTD you might be waiting a very long time. 🙄

And comparing Mystic Timbers to Prowler is ridiculous and how would you know if you haven't ridden the former?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, teacherkim said:

Not that you apparently are really interested but since you asked, they have a very nice horseracing museum there and there are various tours you can take. The basic one being very reasonably priced and it lets you walk under the famous grandstand that the race participants take and go into the paddock area. It is a very unique and famous venue.

This.... and the grounds are beautiful. Same reason a lot of people go to The Masters (Augusta National Golf Club) even though they dont like golf. 

• Like 2

Went to the park for the first time of the season last Friday and all I can say is... wow. KI has done a lot to improve the atmosphere of the park over the last couple of years, but they've really pulled out all the stops this season shining everything up for the 50th. The Beast retracking has moved it back into my #2 slot at the park (just barely behind Mystic Timbers) and I suspect people will be really impressed with how well it's running now. You can still feel the trims (especially in the shed) but it still feels way faster than ever before, so I really don't mind too much. Racer looks gorgeous in its new paint job, and the GP has clearly responded well to the retracking, since it consistently has a wait now, when it used to almost always be a walk-on. And all of the effects are working on Adventure Express, along with a new lighting package and a repainted track! I also noticed new BGM throughout the park, with an attempt to have appropriate music for each themed area instead of just playing generic pop in each section of the park. I really appreciate all the little details like this that they're focusing on and it seems to be paying off for them. Hopefully they keep making little tweaks and improvements like this to really make KI stand out from other seasonal parks. 

• Like 3

Awesome to hear! My kids and I love this park, and it's been creeping up to the the top of our favorite park rankings (yes, even over our beloved "home park" Cedar Point), and we've going every year for years now! We're making our first trip out to the park a week from today, and are very excited to see and experience all of the additions, and changes ourselves!

23 hours ago, tndank said:

Slingshot was removed on Monday.

Love it. Kings Island doesn't need that type of ride and I am really starting to feel the same about the sky coaster. Go carts have been gone for years now and it seems like a trend to get ride of these 3rd party/tourist area non coaster rides. Can't wait to see how they improve this space.

Let the speculation about Adventure Express' future begin.

Yes I know they just repainted it and it's not going anywhere.

• Haha 1