TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

On 12/26/2021 at 11:48 AM, southpuddle said:

Wow interesting! The new track on Racer was butter smooth, this should be fantastic! Can anyone clarify what they mean about the upper and lower bents in that last paragraph?

What I'm getting from it and I could be wrong is they're redoing the geometry so instead of dropping down and then coming back up possibly maybe start out on the bottom near the tunnel and then climb up the helix?

16 hours ago, dankeykang said:

I'm guessing the changes to the second half are entirely for structural purposes; the actual ride layout won't be changed.

I think you're right the layout won't change, I think looking at the crossover in the picture I think they might mean that the elevation will change at the tunnel entrance, like the drop in will go lower and then the crossover will move to above the drop-in... just how I'm reading it.

the beast layout.jpg

I think it's more about how the helix was deigned and the support structure's ability to flex differently for different weighted trains, and they didn't have the technology back then when it was originally built. Remember this ride was designed in house by hand.

I read it as there was one support structure before the tunnel. Now the will change that so that there will be two different support structures, one for the tunnel/helix entry out of the drop and one for the second run of the helix. In the tunnel, it will remain one structure for both laps.

23 minutes ago, PKI Jizzman said:

I think it's more about how the helix was deigned and the support structure's ability to flex differently for different weighted trains, and they didn't have the technology back then when it was originally built. Remember this ride was designed in house by hand.

I think you're right, the park's engineers have a lot more tools available to them now than when the ride was built.  I think these changes are more to improve structural stability and alleviate stress points.

Since I'm home with COVID now, I have nothing but time!
I have started transferring old video tapes to digital format.

Here is one I shot at Kings Island in May 2000 right after Son of Beast opened. There are 3 defunct coasters in this video: Son of Beast, King Cobra, and Vortex.

Enjoy!

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, pianojohn said:

ince I'm home with COVID now, I have nothing but time!
I have started transferring old video tapes to digital format.

Here is one I shot at Kings Island in May 2000 right after Son of Beast opened. There are 3 defunct coasters in this video: Son of Beast, King Cobra, and Vortex.

Enjoy!

Four maybe...it looks like the red side of Racer was running backwards.

Either way, very nice!  I look forward to more.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure it's been talked about somewhere one here, but we can officially add Racer to the list of rides being painted this off-season:

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2022/march/bringing-back-original-color-scheme-on-the-racer

Looks pretty snazzy to me! Was kinda hoping they'd bring back the backwards train though, now that sounds fun!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fun interesting updates to the Beast, but will it be finished before the quickly upcoming opening date? Tbh take as long as you need. 

Idk why but I'm not loving the old school paint scheme. Perhaps because so few besides the Bradeys see the Racer that way? I'd love to bring back backwards. Oh well, just keep it smooth. The Adventure Express refresh needs to be talked about more, honestly. 

What ever happened to the disastrous Camp Cedar?  Has anyone stayed there or booked a reservation yet?

Kings Island is a fine example of what a corporate park can be. They do so many little things such as upkeeping iconic attractions like Beast, Racer, and Carrousel, while adding or restoring minor touches most corporate parks wouldn't care to do.

Kings Island really cashes in on nostalgia, even with such minor details as hidden easter eggs in Mystic Timbers' shed, the SOB eternal flame in Banshee's queue, and going as far as repainting and renaming Flight Deck to The Bat. Not only that, but the park sells these things from a marketing and PR standpoint so well. Cedar Point is removing old attractions and replacing them with mediocre food venues, while Kings Island finds huge success just by adding what would typically be an outdated attraction like the Antique Cars.

Despite the mega-park Magic Mountain, I still believe Six Flags Fiesta Texas is a strong contender for best park in the Six Flags chain. Likewise, as far as Kings Island goes with Cedar Point in Cedar Fair's line-up, I think Kings Island is the best single day park in the chain, if not one of the best in North America. 

I can't say enough good things about Kings Island. I'm glad I'm within six hours of it.

• Like 12

Beast will be longer and steeper.

https://www.wlwt.com/amp/article/cincinnati-kings-islands-the-beast-to-break-own-records/39581555

When the Mason amusement park opens in May, The Beast will move from a 7,359 ft. coaster to a 7,361 ft. ride due to offseason re-tracking and reprofiling work, including the addition of a steeper drop, from 45 degrees to 53 degrees.

• Like 2

We knew the angle difference, but good to know those extra two feet help it keep its record LOL.

The big question:  Does this count as a new credit? :lmao:

Edit:  On another note, they've announced the Early Entry ride lineup for this year.

April 16 - May 27
Banshee
Delirium
Drop Tower
Boo Blasters
Great Pumpkin Coaster

May 28 - July 31
Orion
Racer
Dodgem School
Woodstock Express
Woodstock Whirlybirds

August 1 - October 30
Diamondback
Mystic Timbers
Flying Ace Aerial Chase
Snoopy's Space Buggies
Woodstock Gliders (Flyers!)

Soak City (May 28 - September 5)
Mondo Monsoon (funnel slide)
Pipeline Paradise (surfing simulator)
Splash Landing
Tidal Wave Bay

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 10:42 PM, PKI Jizzman said:

Idk why but I'm not loving the old school paint scheme. Perhaps because so few besides the Bradeys see the Racer that way?

I don't usually editorialize on this site but...red, white, and blue was what The Racer was painted for for 20 seasons. It was hardly just the Brady Bunch that saw the ride in that state.