TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

7 hours ago, Zand said:

Booked a KI trip for Columbus Day weekend. Flying from Hartford to (ironically) Columbus Friday night via Breeze Airlines for the first time. Not sure who in their right mind decided  scheduling flights between Hartford and Columbus was a good idea but they're cheap and I'm not complaining. Should be at the park in time for a couple night rides before the midnight closing. Have all day Sat and Sun. Will splurge for a FL+ on Saturday. $125 but I think I'm gonna need it (UNLESS...if anyone here can confidently tell me that the lines might die down after sunset due to people all heading for the haunted mazes). Sunday will be more leisurely, will probably watch football at the bars and hit short lines as I come to them. Then flying back on Monday.

Feels weird to spend this much time and money to go to one park, especially one that I've already been to this year, but after the spring trip I've been dying to get back for night rides and I've heard their Haunt is one of the better ones.  Feels even weirder going to Ohio and not going to Cedar Point, but honestly I don't even care. Thought about maybe running down to Kentucky Kingdom on Sunday but unfortunately they close this weekend.

So all I have to go on for 2021 is my experience at CP's Haunt last weekend, and there, yes after like 10 most of the ride lines died down.  Personally that's not late enough for me to not have the Fast Lane Plus.  Before then, the some crowds would see the 2 hour waits for the mazes and say "Screw it, let's do some rides instead."

KI's Haunt historically has been pretty good, just know that it's limited this year to only 5 mazes (typically there are 7-9), and if you have any interest in them you will want the Fright Lane pass.

KI haunt is sooooo good didn't you see they won BEST HALLOWEEN EVENT in America (thanks USA Today, you 🤡) before the event even started? 

Honestly it's a good time, KI actually puts time and effort into make up instead of masks which is great, but the houses are usually on the short side. For a Saturday, the park is open so long, it's easy to justify a FL+. It's barely $10 an hour to ride whatever you want when you want. Even as a local I'd never go without it on a Saturday. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PKI Jizzman said:

KI haunt is sooooo good didn't you see they won BEST HALLOWEEN EVENT in America (thanks USA Today, you 🤡) before the event even started? 

Honestly it's a good time, KI actually puts time and effort into make up instead of masks which is great, but the houses are usually on the short side. For a Saturday, the park is open so long, it's easy to justify a FL+. It's barely $10 an hour to ride whatever you want when you want. Even as a local I'd never go without it on a Saturday. 

That and KI's Fast Lane is the best I've ever seen.  Almost every single ride that's on it, the FL line dumps you right into the station.  No stupid merge points before stairwells or before stupid phone lockers and then 25 minutes of combined queue after it *cough-CP-cough-KD-cough.*

On 9/23/2021 at 10:50 PM, Zand said:

Feels weird to spend this much time and money to go to one park, especially one that I've already been to this year, but after the spring trip I've been dying to get back for night rides and I've heard their Haunt is one of the better ones.  Feels even weirder going to Ohio and not going to Cedar Point, but honestly I don't even care. Thought about maybe running down to Kentucky Kingdom on Sunday but unfortunately they close this weekend.

I can't seem to find confirmation on their website, but Stricker's Grove is typically open to the public on the Sunday of Columbus day weekend. The random ejector hill on Tornado would be well worth the mid-day break form KI.

As for FLP...get it! You will not regret it on a Saturday.

Hit Cavern of Terror right when it opens, as that line gets insane. 

Thanks for the Strickers Grove recommendation, definitely considering popping in there! Haven't really heard much about their coaster but random ejector hill sounds good to me!

Not really planning on hitting any Haunt stuff at KI, primarily there for the night rides on...well...almost everything. So haunts would cut into the night time riding. If I happen upon a short line for a haunt, sure, but otherwise I'm okay not hitting any of it. 

I was at Stricker's Grove this past Labor Day, and that ejector moment on Tornado was pretty legit.  Maybe not quite on the level of something like the double down on Jack Rabbit or the second drop on Camden Park's Big Dipper, but still strong enough to catch me off guard.  Teddy Bear is worth a ride as well, and the free soft drinks and cheap food definitely make it worth stopping by for an hour or two IMO.

8 minutes ago, dankeykang said:

I was at Stricker's Grove this past Labor Day, and that ejector moment on Tornado was pretty legit.  Maybe not quite on the level of something like the double down on Jack Rabbit or the second drop on Camden Park's Big Dipper, but still strong enough to catch me off guard.  Teddy Bear is worth a ride as well, and the free soft drinks and cheap food definitely make it worth stopping by for an hour or two IMO.

Hell yeah, glad to hear! Yeah totally agree, not Jack Rabbit more so a 'homemade' little pop up then bounce you off your ass ejector pop!

Had a fun quick visit to KI on Friday since I'll be out of town the next 2 weekends. Goal was to beat the crowds for the first hour, see how busy it would get since the opening night of Haunt was the same beautiful weather and most coasters were 15-20 minutes or less.

Got up to KI around 530, they had already opened parking and it was already looking a bit busy. They were holding everyone at the front fountains, brought out monsters at 6pm, and the park opened to wherever you wanted to go. 

By the time I got to Orion it was a 5 minute wait and the scare actors next door at CHAOS Labs were begging for someone to choose their Haunt over Orion, so I decided to be the first experiment. I went through this one twice since I couldn't believe how bad it was the first time. It was really just smoke and mirrors and actors in lab coats. This building has had some good haunts in the past - the board game one comes to mind. Skip this one.

As tempting as Orion was I wanted to see how the popular Kill Mart was doing to I made my way down there to find another 0 minute wait. Despite only a dozen people in line, they were trying to get huge conga line going but I slowed my walk down to give some space. If you can get some space, the Haunt will generally be so much better. This was a big step up from CHAOS and Kill Mart was just as fun as I remembered. There's not a scene that isn't covered wall to wall with different department + zombie decorations. Check this one out. 

Slaughterhouse was next as I made my way around the park, and this one just doesn't seem as good since it was moved from the previous spot in Action Zone across from Banshee. I guess it's just easy to bring this one back year after year, it's pretty tired, especially if you remember the old gems - Trail of Terror that want back beyond Orion and the old Dino Alive, Massacre Manor. Maybe we can get the Paranormal show from Knott's here next year. 

Madame Fatale's Cavern of Terror is your chance to explore the old Tomb Raider The Ride building. This Haunt I hope keeps going as long as the building still stands. It's packed with scare actors, there's awesome detail in each room, it's fairly long, and you can still see the details of the theming inside from TR:TR. This one is missing a good finale, but I'll let it slide. Easily the best haunt and most unique at KI. Don't miss it. 

It was about 715 at this point, I didn't have to wait more than 5 minutes for a haunt and they aren't too long so  the crowds were still filling into KI. Diamondback was my last stop of the night and I waited 5 minutes for a great ride as always. 

So for 90 minutes at opening I was able to get a lot done! Had I waited 20 minutes for Orion at the start the haunt lines would have probably filled up a bit more. 

20211001_182410.jpg

20211001_182447.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, prozach626 said:

I was looking around on the website and couldn't find a fastlane/fright lane combo. Do you have to buy them both separately, now?

Yeah, they're separate purchases, and always have been, though they may have offered a package deal in the past.

5 hours ago, prozach626 said:

I was looking around on the website and couldn't find a fastlane/fright lane combo. Do you have to buy them both separately, now?

Sorry man only separate. Unless you want to marathon the mazes, and I suggest you don't as most are shit, just focus on Kill Mart and Madam Fatale's and do those at opening. Pocket the fright lane for more beer $

38 minutes ago, Zand said:

Just arrived a few mins ago, but have noticed on Queue Times that Beast has been down the whole night. Hoping it's nothing big and it's open tomorrow. Anyone have any intel?

Idk anything but it's had issues this year. I was there 2 weeks ago and didn't ride but also didn't see it running when I was in the area around 630-730. 

It has had some emergency repairs on the track for reasons we don't know but after the wonderful results of the Gravity Group refurbishment on Racer hopefully the park invests on a full Beast refurbishment GG pre fab style. Maybe kill some brakes as a wish..

Queue times said Beast opened around 11:20 and immediately pulled a 30 minute line. Glad there's nothing catastrophically wrong with it.

Arrived at the crack of 11 to a mobbed but slowly emptying park. Have wristbands for tomorrow so figured I'd pop in tonight and ride a couple coasters. Hit Mystic Timbers with a 45 minute wait, then hit Diamondback with about a 5 minute wait on the way out. 

It was my first time at a non Six Flags park (or Lake Compounce) for a Halloween event and...yeah what a difference. Great atmosphere in the park. Pumped for tomorrow.

80* and sunny this weekend, it's going to be amazing....but very busy! And all of Green Bay is in town for Pack v Bengals tomorrow, UC already played, most high schools played last night, and I've noted there's not as many independent haunted houses around anymore. 

This place is officially bullshit busy. Worst part is trying to get something to eat without standing in an hour line. Ended up breaking down and getting in the Chicken Shack line which is about 40 minutes.

Wristbands have definitely helped, although even those haven't been without lines. Diamondback was 35 minutes with fastlane at 3:30 (standby was 2 hours). Mystic Timbers and Beast were a little quicker. Orion was down for a while but I caught the first train when it came back up. Grabbed rides on Racer, Adv Express, and Drop Tower as well. 

Nightfall is here so will spend the next 4 hours riding as much as I can!

Fastlane saved the night tonight for sure. I couldn't believe how crowded the park got...most midways were so full of people you couldn't move. After dinner I hit Banshee which had a pretty full line but walked right up fastlane and right to the front row. I love this thing...my favorite invert and the night ride was even more insane. Feeling the temp changes was really neat.

Around 8:30 I started a loop around the park as most major coasters were showing 2-3 hr standby lines. First up was Orion, which had both the fastlane and standby lines full to the entrance. Fastlane took 30 minutes, greeter was telling people 3:15 for standby. Ended up in row 2. Real fun at night. Love that speed hill and the 2nd to last airtime hill. Just wish it was longer, no brake run should be 100 feet high.

Headed back to Windseeker which had a standby line stretching back almost to Troika but not a soul in the fastlane line. Awesome view and I feel like this one spins faster than others at the top.

Next up was Beast which had a line spilling out the entrance and posted at 2:45. Even the fastlane was beyond the split with the exit line. Took over 30 minutes but still saved a lot of time. Rode in front and got my first night Beast ride in 14 years. Absolutely love it. The first half is like Blair Witch Project: The Ride. Then that damn helix is unreal at night when you can't see it and can't anticipate when you're going to slam into it.

Headed over to the best standup coaster in the world...Mystic Timbers. Got two rides in 10 minutes as there was 0 line for the fastlane despite 1:30 for the standby line. The airtime on this thing is mental and some of the sharp turns catch you off guard at night. To have these two woodies in the same park as 3 top tier B&Ms should be illegal. Too much greatness in one park.

Finished up with Diamondback and a front seat ride. Almost as good as Nightro, but nothing beats 20 degree rides on Nitro in January. This definitely has the better ejector air of the two, especially in front. The camelbacks just launch you into outer space.

Was time to head out by then, but scored a Boo Blasters ride on the way by just before closing. This park is already pretty special as it is, but when the sun goes down it's just the best. Some parks have a designated night ride that you always need to finish the day on. This place has 6. And now that Boulder Dash sucks, the Beast can reclaim its crown as the best night coaster on earth.

Only thing I didn't get to that I wanted to was Bat. Theres no fastlane access for it. I actually went to get in line for it as Queue Times said 45 minutes, but I knew it would be longer when I only had to walk 45 seconds to find the back of the line. 

Heading to Strickers Grove tomorrow at 1 then coming back for a few hours. Only open till 8 so will only have time for one fully dark ride to wrap up the trip. There's only one candidate for which ride that will be.

• Like 2