TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Just wrapped up my full day at KI of this trip. Got on every adult coaster except Invertigo (die in a fire), Flying Ace, and Woodstock Express, and spent a few solid hours in the water park. Storms never materialized, but nearby lightning did close the rides for about a half hour.

Closed out the night with the next to last Beast train before fireworks shutdown, and had lightning in the distance while cresting the lift hill...even more magical than ever.

Report coming eventually. Tomorrow it's off to Indiana Beach for my first trip there.

How do you skip Woodstock Express?  I still ride it every time.  A classic John C Allen with buzz bars.

Have a blast at Indiana Beach.  Looking forward to hearing about your day there.  I'm tentatively planning to visit IB next Saturday for the first time myself.

8 minutes ago, tndank said:

How do you skip Woodstock Express?  I still ride it every time.  A classic John C Allen with buzz bars.

Have a blast at Indiana Beach.  Looking forward to hearing about your day there.  I'm tentatively planning to visit IB next Saturday for the first time myself.

Honestly, I've been on it a ton of times before (and only live 3 hours from its sister at Kings Dominion), and probably could have gotten on it had I not went back to the hotel for a nap in the middle of the day LOL. Don't worry, I'll be back for Haunt.

Will do on IB.  I'm a bit disappointed that the new Schwarzkopf won't be open, but there's still another one and a few reportedly-awesome woodies.

46 minutes ago, tndank said:

it was quite rough, and needs some love - when we rode it ~4 weeks ago.

On 8/13/2021 at 1:20 AM, Mike240SX said:

So, I arrived in Mason around 3 after my 9 hour drive from Delaware. Dropped off my stuff at the hotel and then headed to the park. As it was around 94 degrees ambient, I went right to the water park and spent about 2 and a half hours there. Everything was open.

Made my way over to the rides side around 6, for a one train wait for the back row Mystic Timbers ("Cars" and snake monster ending). The shed was damned hot LOL.  Still awesome though.

Next up was the Beast, with a 5 train wait for front row. Not night, but still great. I noticed brand new wood for the rails at the bottom of the valley after the first hill and at the turn into the 2nd tunnel. I also noticed the American flag in the pre-lift turnaround, which is never noticed before.IMG_20210812_185957018_HDR.thumb.jpg.cd54f8394e30a69589aaa84d1d456837.jpg

After that, I just grabbed a grilled cheese from Tom + Chee (eating now) and will then head out...I'm tired haha. I wanted to go back to the hotel after the water park but needed to get at least one ride on my number one and two here in case the weather doesn't cooperate tomorrow (when I looked this morning they were calling for 40-60% chance of thunderstorms all day Saturday).

More to come.

Wow, that's a strange look without Vortex between Beast and Orion. It's the first time I see this since the demolishion of Vortex. I really had to think about what it is that i am seeing.

6 hours ago, Pedrinho said:

Wow, that's a strange look without Vortex between Beast and Orion. It's the first time I see this since the demolishion of Vortex. I really had to think about what it is that i am seeing.

ah.. you must not have looked at my Coasterstock Trip Report 😛

IMG_4967.thumb.JPG.a68b5ce9237ade027a813b569a9f1259.JPG

IMG_5200.JPG

IMG_4962.JPG

IMG_4963.JPG

15 hours ago, Pedrinho said:

Technically, you never saw Vortex and Orion at the same time. 

EDIT:  Here's the "report."

So, I realize now that I didn't really take a lot of pictures, so this will be pretty brief.

My day on Thursday was quite limited; I had just finished the drive from home (about 9 hours) and was feeling pretty tired by the end of the day.  Spent about 3 hours in the water park, and got a total of 4 laps on the lazy river, two wave-cycles in the wave pool, one slide, and 2 adult beverages from the woefully understaffed bar.   I then went into the dry park around 6:30 (8 PM closing) for laps on Mystic (back row, 1 train wait, "Cars" & snake ending) and Beast (front row, 5 train wait).  Notably, the ambient temp was probably still above 90, and it felt over 100 inside the shed on Mystic.  Grabbed a classic grilled cheese from Tom + Chee and went back to my hotel and passed out.

On Friday, I made it to the park for early entry, grabbed my Fast Lane+ wristband, and hopped on Orion (back row, 14 minutes wait-and-ride) and then hung around Area 72 for Flight of Fear (front row, first public train of the day, 10 minutes wait-and-ride, largely caused by staff just chatting while the station was loading).  Grabbed a sub from Subway, then hopped on Racer (red side, only one running, row 2, one train wait), Adventure Express (row 5, half-train wait), Bat (back row, 14 minute wait-and-ride from the time I encountered people in the queue), and Banshee (back row right, 6 minutes wait-and-ride).  I then went over to the water park for about two and a half hours, getting like 5 consecutive laps on the lazy river and another two adult beverages, when the nearby storm meant the entire water park and anything taller than a building to close in the rides side.  Not knowing how long this would last, I went back to my hotel for a nap, and then went back to the park at around 7.  Got on Diamondback (back row left, 14 minutes wait-and-ride), Mystic Timbers (front row, 14 minutes, "Total Eclipse of the Heart" and bat ending), Beast (front row, 20 minutes), Banshee (front row left, half-train wait), Shake Rattle & Roll (half-cycle wait), Backlot Stunt Coaster (row 5, half-train wait, all effects on). 

SR&R and Backlot were pretty much just to kill time while it got darker.  I had to be on the road early, so I didn't want to stay until after the fireworks shutdown for my night ride on Beast, but I did want it to be as dark as possible.  I made it to the station around 8:55, waited for the front until I was the next-to-next to ride, and then let people pass me until 9:33, when, after being informed by the ride ops that there would only be two more trains before the shutdown, I hopped on.  It wasn't pitch black, but it was dark enough, and with the lightning in the distance lighting fire to the sky, it was just about as perfect of a closing to a day at Kings Island one could have.

Some observations:
-I've never noticed it before, but Shake Rattle & Roll has the best light programming I've ever seen on a Troika.
-They really gotta do something with that Crypt building.
-I observed the groupers not restricting guests from requesting specific rows.  Even on Mystic, with it's tiny station, there were like 4 trains of people lined up along the wall waiting for the front row.  They were still generally limiting the amount of people of the station though.
-Food lines were back down to their normal lengths; none of the 40+ minute waits for grub that I saw earlier in the year.

The next day, I'd drive to Indiana Beach for my first ever trip there.  Go read about it. :)

Oh, and here's a picture of the song-and-dance stage show that's done at closing between the fountain and the Eiffel tower.  Music wasn't quite my taste, but the presence of a live band was a cool touch, and the lighting setup was pretty good.

IMG_20210813_214914499.thumb.jpg.d83c4c72bad59538df2d214004726009.jpg

I'll likely be back for Haunt, so long KI until then.

• Haha 1

On 8/14/2021 at 5:35 PM, bert425 said:

ah.. you must not have looked at my Coasterstock Trip Report 😛

Indeed I didn't! :)

I made some TPR, theme park and coaster hiatius because it fugged me up that we can't do anything here in Germany and I needed some distance. Not good that I missed your report anyway ;)

I'll make sure to correct that mistake! :)

On 8/14/2021 at 5:37 PM, Mike240SX said:

Technically, you never saw Vortex and Orion at the same time. 

Yes, I know. It was misphrased by me. I wanted to say that, when I thought of the look from Beast in this direction, I would always put Vortext in there. So to see a picture of Orion from the Beasts platform without it looked odd because I know from my last visit that there should have been a lot of view obstructing steel in between.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't even think about the tower needing paint, but I guess it's not perfect. Being it's the centerpiece of the entrance and park, them making sure the paint is in great shape is just another reason why this park is amazing.

Are there any plans for COVID restrictions in place? My vaccinated self will begrudgingly wear a mask for the Haunt. If there are other noticeable measures beyond that, I'll wait for this to pass for another few months at a time, before visiting again. I won't visit any parks ever again for another sanitized soaked train loaded every-other row. Miserable.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, prozach626 said:

I didn't even think about the tower needing paint, but I guess it's not perfect. Being it's the centerpiece of the entrance and park, them making sure the paint is in great shape is just another reason why this park is amazing.

Are there any plans for COVID restrictions in place? My vaccinated self will begrudgingly wear a mask for the Haunt. If there are other noticeable measures beyond that, I'll wait for this to pass for another few months at a time, before visiting again. I won't visit any parks ever again for another sanitized soaked train loaded every-other row. Miserable.

As of two weeks ago, the only COVID restriction in place is "masks required indoors if not vaccinated and not eating and drinking."  No reservations, no temperature checks, no limitations on ride capacity.

And I'm tentatively planning a trip for October 15/16, hint hint. ;)

EDIT: They're also completely cash-less; don't know if this would count as a "COVID" restriction or not.

I haven't visited a park this year that's doing cleaning on attractions unless there's a protein spill.

Hardly any of the sanitizer stations are full at KI anymore so bring your own if you want to use after every ride. 

The masks indoors must be new a new rule but at this point I'm just going to keep a mask with me at all times since the rules change often and it's nearly impossible to not have kids/people bumping into you in line. 

4 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

And I'm tentatively planning a trip for October 15/16, hint hint. ;)

Hey! That's the weekend I'm targeting on making my annual trip to Haunt with a couple of my kids and my girlfriend! It'd be great to meet up with you, AND Prozach and wife if they come as well! Maybe RawkinCoaster will make her usual appearance (KI's Haunt is where I first met her as well) also!

• 2 weeks later...

I was passing through the area and stopped in for a quick 4 ride trip, Orion, the beast, Mystic timbers and diamond back and left since we didn't have much time but Orion was an absolute blast.

Really don't understand the complaining about Orion that I've seen by some people. We sat in the front row and it was so much damn fun. I would love to have this ride closer to me, felt like it was something you can ride a bunch in one day and not get tired of it. 

• Like 2

I have a new position at work. Despite it involving weekends off, it also has the drawback of being on-call... indefinitely. A meetup won't be easy for me.

As far as Orion, I think we've heard far less complaints about it this year than we did last. It's been getting a lot of praise. I'm convinced the full trains have something to do with it.

• Like 1

I didn't pay any attention to the Racer project but can someone explain what makes Gravity Groups prefab wooden track different/innovative compared to the Prefab wooden track Intamin innovated two decades ago? 🤣 🙄

(also, screw the GTA, their picks for top coasters is mostly laughable, as always. Candymonium in the top 5? GTFOH. And MF... still? The Beast over every RMC? lmfao)

• Like 1

Because it was used at Kings Island, and anything done at KI/CP/Dollywood/Disney/Universal, etc. pretty much instantly becomes favorite to win these types of awards by default...

Couldn't agree more about Candymonium at #5...I wonder if that ride is about to become a bit of a meme over the next few days/weeks, kind of like all the "Millennium Forceless" stuff

• 2 weeks later...

Booked a KI trip for Columbus Day weekend. Flying from Hartford to (ironically) Columbus Friday night via Breeze Airlines for the first time. Not sure who in their right mind decided  scheduling flights between Hartford and Columbus was a good idea but they're cheap and I'm not complaining. Should be at the park in time for a couple night rides before the midnight closing. Have all day Sat and Sun. Will splurge for a FL+ on Saturday. $125 but I think I'm gonna need it (UNLESS...if anyone here can confidently tell me that the lines might die down after sunset due to people all heading for the haunted mazes). Sunday will be more leisurely, will probably watch football at the bars and hit short lines as I come to them. Then flying back on Monday.

Feels weird to spend this much time and money to go to one park, especially one that I've already been to this year, but after the spring trip I've been dying to get back for night rides and I've heard their Haunt is one of the better ones.  Feels even weirder going to Ohio and not going to Cedar Point, but honestly I don't even care. Thought about maybe running down to Kentucky Kingdom on Sunday but unfortunately they close this weekend.