TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I'm not going today haha, I'll visit sometime this week. I had a few visits last year and went passholder weekend this year.

Orion is a ton of fun but if you haven't been on it yet I'd recommend you get more than 1 or 2 rides on it. I like it the more I ride it, it's just a really fast coaster so it's over before you know it! Multiple rides allow you to appreciate it more for sure.

• Like 1

Multiple rides is always the goal! As many as I can ideally. And yeah I got expectations pretty grounded so I'm looking forward to it. Yeah man appreciated! Hope it's well and crowds are not too bad. 

Just about 5 weeks until my 1st ever visit, and get to knock this bucket list park/coaster (the Beast) off my ever shorter list.

it's gonna be interesting that my 1st time is for Coasterstock, so there will be a lot of ERT, and I'll have to make decisions on what activities during the event to "miss" so I can experience more of the park.

but I *did* just go ahead and purchase FL+ for the Saturday ($116 online). . . for Friday? will just stick to CoasterStock schedule (once released). . but I have a feeling that Sat will be PACKED, and I'm gonna wanna have that FL+ to ride a few things during the day, that are outside of the ERT sessions.  (or, hell, just be able to focus on Non-FL+ rides during ERT, since I'll have the wristband for the day).

can't wait!

added bonus is get to hang out with TeacherKim and her son,Joel. . both very cool people.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@bert425, you're definitely in for a treat with the FL pass.  Pretty much every ride except for Flight of Fear drops you right in the station, and it's easier to list what adult rides *aren't* on the Fast Lane plan than the ones that are.  The rides that arent?
-Bat
-Congo Falls
-Carousel
-Railroad
-Slingshot (upcharge)
-Viking Fury
-Whitewater Canyon
-Woodstock Express
-Xtreme Skyflyer (upcharge)

Yes, every other thrill ride or coaster is included in FL.  It's insane.  Have fun!

• Like 1

Visited yesterday and despite some worries about getting in the parking lot (traffic on Kings Island Dr was backed up past the Great Wolf Lodge, and this was at 10:15), I had a fantastic 4 hours there.   I so wish Cedar Point’s FastLane was set up like Kings Island’s.  The longest wait I had during my visit was 10 minutes to actually get my FastLane wristband.   I’m sure if I would have eaten at the park that would have been a much higher number though as the food lines were insane.

- Banshee (walk-on FL+): rode during the tail end of early entry.  Someone here mentioned that Banshee is really rattling and I have to agree.  The first drop and Immelmann were pretty janky.  I do love the batwing element and the final inline twist is my favorite part of the ride as it is just taken so slowly.  It’s a decent ride, but I honestly think Raptor is the better B&M invert in Ohio.  Rating 7/10

- Flight of Fear (5 minute wait FL+): speaking of running a bit rattly, FoF was a bit bumpier than I remember.  I was on the first train of the day as they let the FL+ line in first before the regular line entered.  The launch is still intense and twisting through near total darkness is always a blast.  But the stop on the mid course and the bumpy ride keeps it from being a repeat ride for me.  Rating 7/10

- Orion (walk-on FL+): wow.  Full trains REALLY made a difference here.  Orion was really flying compared to my rides last season and I absolutely loved it.  So smooth, so fast, and a killer first drop make this a really solid addition to KI.  Rating 9.5/10

- Mystic Timbers (walk-on FL+): My #1 wood and #1 overall coaster was still running unbelievably well this year.  Mystic Timbers is a completely chaotic, out of control ride that never slows down and launches you off your seat more times than I can count.  In the shed (which we are repeatedly warned not to go in, but we do anyways),  the tree monster attacked on my first ride and the bats swarmed on my 2nd and 3rd rides.  Absolutely love this coaster.  Rating 10/10

- Diamondback (walk-on FL+): I was assigned to row 16 (they were assigning seats on all coasters, I didn’t ask for any special requests so I’m not sure if they were allowing it), and the airtime on this ride in the back is unreal.  Sustained floater airtime on almost every hill, it was spectacular.  I made the mistake of putting my arms out on the splashdown finale, resulting in my back getting a bit damp.  I didn’t care though as Diamondback may have even been better than Orion.  Rating 10/10

- BooBlasters on Boo Hill (3 minutes FL+): I miss Phantom Theater and the Enchanted Voyage.  BooBlasters is alright.  Nothing really stands out as being memorable, but I did end up with 1260 pets. Which I guess is good?  Rating 5/10

- Racer (walk-on FL+): If KI can retrack the return leg of this ride like they did the outbound run, they will have something special here.  This is the best Racer ride I have had in years.  Massive props to the park for taking care of this historic gem.  Rating 7/10

- Adventure Express (5 minutes FL+): The regular line was out to the midway so thank goodness for FL!  I’ve always enjoyed this ride even though the finale after the final lift is such a letdown.  The drummer guys on the final lift all seemed to be working AND had colorful new lighting installed.  Even the “you will pay” guy looks like he got some colored contact lenses.  Nice!  Rating 7/10

- Kings Mills Antique Autos (walk on FL+): I am so glad KI added antique cars back to its lineup a few years back.  The course isn’t anything spectacular, but it is a pleasant diversion and since it’s on FL+, how can you not stop for a quick ride?  Rating: 6.5/10

- Windseeker (one cycle wait FL+, would have been the same without it!): not sure why I like these rides.  There isn’t much to it, but the views are stunning.  Rating: 7/10

- Shake Rattle and Roll (one cycle wait FL+): a KI classic since 1975, this Huss Troika has always been one of my faves at the park.  It is weird not having Vortex in the background though.  Rating: 6.5/10

- Backlot Stunt Coaster (walk-on FL+): when this ride first opened in 2005, I hated it.  I thought it was a complete waste of space and a disgrace to Paramount’s Kings Island to visually destroy such a pretty area of the park.  Now, it’s a can’t miss attraction each time I’m at the park.  Guess I just needed to “get” the ride!  The helix beginning is way more intense than it has a right to be, the flame effects work still (as do the “bullets”!), and the final tunnel seemed much darker than usual.  Fun, smooth, and re-rideable, especially when there is no wait!  Rating: 8/10

- Woodstock Gliders (one cycle wait FL+): while not the park originals, it’s still nice that Kings Island re-introduced a set of Flyers.  They are your typical Larson model and move at a pretty good clip.  The only complaint I have here is that they are located in Planet Snoopy.  Rating: 7/10

overall a tremendous day at one of my favorite parks.  The Beast was closed during my 4 hours there, so I didn’t get to ride, but Mystic Timbers more than makes up for that.  I also think White Water Canyon and Congo Falls were closed.  The temps never got past 60 while I was there, so that might explain it!  Can’t wait to go back, even with the 8 hour round trip drive!  

• Like 2

Sounds like an awesome trip, and great that the FL+ is still awesome this year. Looking forward to my visit this weekend. I'm so hyped for Holiwood Nights I had to just reminded myself I booked a hotel outside Kings Island to visit all day on Sunday with FL+. So stoked! Thanks for sharing your report.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, anonymouscactus said:

Sounds like an awesome trip, and great that the FL+ is still awesome this year. Looking forward to my visit this weekend. I'm so hyped for Holiwood Nights I had to just reminded myself I booked a hotel outside Kings Island to visit all day on Sunday with FL+. So stoked! Thanks for sharing your report.

Nice! Enjoy Holiwood Nights. Superb event, and it links so naturally with a KI visit. 

30 minutes ago, Mike240SX said:

This is more like it! Unlike my last trip here, where I was way down the block.IMG_20210601_094427938_HDR.thumb.jpg.b56e0c329bddcbf933d8dfa747b1d2e1.jpg

Can you report back on crowds around 1:00? I'm arriving around 1:30-2, have to decide on the fly whether to get FL+ or not. Just want to make sure I have time for a couple rides each on Banshee, Orion, Diamondback, Mystic Timbers, and Beast. Just in case they close tomorrow. If the lines are like 30 mins or less I'll be good.

I'll be happy to provide a report around then, or when I head over to the water park, whichever comes first. Though I'll spare you the FL dilemma - daily FL is sold out. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. 

Soak City water park update: not too busy at all. Most everything is open, except one of the two wave pools, the tornado slide, the big family raft slide, and the flow rider surf simulator. Some smaller food stands are closed, but the most important thing (the bar) is open.

Got in the park about 15 minutes ago. In line for Diamondback. Half of the first set of switchbacks are full. Queue Times says 75 mins, we'll see. They seem to be cranking trains out.

Can see Orion cycling empty trains from here.

14 minutes ago, Zand said:

Got in the park about 15 minutes ago. In line for Diamondback. Half of the first set of switchbacks are full. Queue Times says 75 mins, we'll see. They seem to be cranking trains out.

Can see Orion cycling empty trains from here.

I'm trying out the blue ice cream beer next door! It's delicious. If you wanna meet up when you're off say hey! We've got a solid showing of TPR here today wow it's almost like things are back to normal!

20210601_145712.jpg

• Like 1

I ended up leaving since the park is just slammed. Looking out from the Tower every. Single. Food. Drink. Has a 30-60 minute wait! They need help badly. So many closed spots. This isn't a 'just busy at lunch/dinner' it's all day. So be strategic if you're at the park all day. Mobile ordering is not available. 

Great meeting @Mike240SX !

On a Monday? oof. How have rides been? Was FL still available at the start of the day? Don't wanna buy one ahead of time and not need it but would be great if I was able to grab one day of! 

For those that were there today, what were FL lines like if there were any? We all know how valuable FL is at this park and I'm curious what it's like on a day where it sells out.

Looking at the webcams Diamondback's FL line is basically empty right now...

75 minutes at Diamondback turned into 35 minutes for a back seat ride. Pretty good ride, a little rattly and not quite as much airtime as I've heard but still a pretty solid ride. Hit Mystic Timbers next, again being told 75 mins but ended up being 45. Rode in front, freaking awesome coaster! Tons of airtime and fun forceful turns. Inside of the shed was super hot. Just hopped on the train as it was loading when I got off Mystic Timbers. After the train I'll probably hit Orion and Banshee just to get through the rest of the new to me stuff. It's crowded for sure but a lot of it is school groups who seem to be slowly heading out. Luckily the crews have been great so far. Food lines do look extremely ugly though.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JJLehto said:

On a Monday? oof. How have rides been? Was FL still available at the start of the day? Don't wanna buy one ahead of time and not need it but would be great if I was able to grab one day of! 

It's Tuesday haha. And yeah the FL booth had the sold out signs as soon as I walked in, and I was the second redemption of the day. I've got it and I'm chilling in the water park, probably going back to the dry park between 5 and 6. If you're here and wanna meet up and grab a drink, shoot me a PM. I can up my "TPR members met" count to 3 LOL. That goes for you too, @Zand.

• Like 1