TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Totally agree. I was actually going to try out T&C for lunch last weekend (in fairness - I’m sure it’s pretty good food, just not exactly the healthiest and not something I’m willing to pay for outside the park), but the line was back to the brewhouse 😆

Maybe the chain could try mobile ordering at some point like Six Flags has done.  

3 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

Just had my longest wait of the day (with FL+)

What was the FL+ line like for Orion? I know the park was very busy today but from the webcam it looks like Diamondback's FL+ line was pretty much empty as usual. I love FL+ at this park.

1 minute ago, jonskinny12 said:

What was the FL+ line like for Orion? I know the park was very busy today but from the webcam it looks like Diamondback's FL+ line was pretty much empty as usual. I love FL+ at this park.

From time entering the queue to walking down the exit stairs was 13 minutes for the front row. This while the app was posting a 90 minute standby wait.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mike240SX said:

From time entering the queue to walking down the exit stairs was 13 minutes for the front row. This while the app was posting a 90 minute standby wait.

Awesome. That's exactly how it was on my visit last year. Thanks!

5 hours ago, dankeykang said:

Maybe the chain could try mobile ordering at some point like Six Flags has done.  

If you're trying to live up to Six Flags' food service, that says a lot.

First day at Kings Island for 2021 is in the books.  All around, despite being very busy, I got two rides on almost everything I wanted to (Banshee was down when I went by for my second lap), closed out the night in the only way you should at this park, and even got myself an awesome grilled cheese donut.  That said, it was thanks entirely to having Fast Lane...without it, the day would have gone very differently.  Full report coming in the next few days.

Now to try to wake up for the 8 hour drive to Kings Dominion to check out their passholder preview tomorrow.  Yeah that's not happening.

• Like 1

They (Cedar Fair) do have mobile ordering this year. I used it at Johnny Rockets Friday at KBF.  Also sounds like it will be expanded this season, based on comments on the conference call.  

heh. . on MeTV, they are right now, showing the Brady Bunch episode of King's Island.

it was filmed almost 50 years ago, and pretty much every ride they go on in the episode is now way, way gone.

still cool to see Racer, Eiffel Tower, flyers, scrambler and the flume (I think that's still there, right?) that will look similar when I finally get to this park for the 1st time.  
(along with the way gone Monster, Rotor, Spinning barrels, Trabant, Bayern Kurve, Sky Buckets, Canoes, and so many more things from way back then).

tho I think the neatest was in the overhead establishing shots of the Bradys riding Racer (maybe filmed from the Sky Buckets?).. the's clearly a ton of land clearing/construction going on to the right of the lift hill -    that's where the Beast was built, right?

2 hours ago, coasterjohnh said:

How is the racer with the new retracking?

Incredible!  I'm going to talk about it when I do my report, but the new track sections (basically everything between the bottom of the first drop and the turnaround) is new, and in the front and row 5 at least, are Mystic-Timbers-smooth, no joke.

3 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

Incredible!  I'm going to talk about it when I do my report, but the new track sections (basically everything between the bottom of the first drop and the turnaround) is new, and in the front and row 5 at least, are Mystic-Timbers-smooth, no joke.

Nice! I enjoyed Racer though even for me it was bordering on too rough, so this is wonderful news

Some notes from my visit during passsholder Saturday:

Park hours 11-10. Parking opened at 10:10am. Last year rides opened up around 10-15 minutes before scheduled hours but not this time. Also they usually play the national anthem before opening which is hilarious to see reactions from everyone..but maybe I missed it this time? Someone please report on if this still happens haha.

The pretzel at the Brewhouse is great, comes with beer cheese (not shitty neon ballpark cheese) and mustard!

Adventure Express has added lights/themeing in the second tunnel.

Food/bev lines were insaaaaane. We are smart here on TPR, we don't eat at peak hours! This made no difference. I ended up staying to close, and I think I had my pretzel around 8pm at the brewhouse which I didn't have to wait long for, but that's the advantage of the bar. Hopefully the park can get more help, but I am not sure if that's the issue. I believe that dining plan is bought by 70% of passholders. 

Racer was running fantastic. Like as good as the Hurler & Racer 75 retracks in 2018. Gravity Group did an awesome job.

Beast gave me on of the most painful rides ever last year, and typically I only ride in the front to make sure that I never get a bad ride. 2020/social distance didn't allow you to wait for the front seat. 2021 we can pick our seats, hooray! The 2 front row rides I had were great. 

Diamondback running with full trains makes it feel like an above average B&M hyper again!

Banshee running with full trains is great but I didn't enjoy it as much as I did last year. I had some amazing glass smooth rides in 2020 but 2021 it's back to the usual Banshee. I really think that it's not a rough coaster, those vests just hug you into the seat so tight you feel every imperfection on the wheel/track. That first drop is wicked! 

Love to see Drop Tower running consistently. 

Delirium was down/testing.

Windseeker is even more fun with Orion right below you.

Boo Blasters was a fun ride to revisit, it's okay for what it is. Knotts bringing back Beary Tales gives me hope that KI could take advantage of fhe omnimover base here and restore the Phantom Manor. But when you're winning golden tickets for your kids area I doubt they'll ever change it.

Orion is essentially a brand new coaster for 2021 for the GP so the only thing slowing down the ride's operations is the walk of shame. The lines we've seen for it so far are pretty impressive, but remember it's not just Ohio locals coming to KI regularly. You've got Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, and Michigan folks coming in. I'll be curious to see how lines are during the week but if you want more than 2 rides in 1 day without waiting 2+ hours just budget FL. 

Orion has a good looking light package at night and the park added more lights in the helix calling it 'Orion's Belt'. It's just a really fun re-rideable coaster that's focus is on speed. The first drop seems endless, the wave turn is taken at 1000%, the speed hill gives good air and the final sideways hill and jump into the brakes are the stand out airtime moments in my opinion. 

Mystic Timbers still hauls ass.

No one spotted my Fuji Q hoodie except for 1 older dude in the beer line who just wanted to rant about Kingda Ka being the best and was still very mad about Rebel Yell being changed to Racer 75. Where we the cool nerds at??

• Like 3

Sorry if I've asked before but are schools still open/what are crowds normally like on a weekday in Early June, in this case Monday the 7th. Last time I came here around this time it was totally dead, and with 2 train/quick ops lines were barely anything BUT its a bit later this time/covid and all....just wondering if worth the risk of getting fast lane or not. 

Also where the cool nerds at? Good luck lol While I have found a few gems in my years of being an enthusiast....I think each one may have 20 to counter :(  But yeah it seems like all parks have been utterly mobbed due to pent up demand and the above trip report makes me wonder if I need to get FL. I'll be so mad if its a quiet day but oof....I know how slammed KI can be. Ugh choices lol

15 minutes ago, tndank said:

No way they sell out on a Wed. If it's crowded and you want it, buy it then. 

Agreed, I would wait and see how the crowds are before making a decision on FL+.  I went to KI on a weekday in early June a few years ago and the coasters were mostly walk-ons.  It could be different this year due to pent up demand, but I'd still wait to make a decision until you see the lines at the park.

• Like 1

Good to know! Yeah just on extra prepared mode given everything is still out of whack, supposedly parks all over are having staffing issues and wonder if that will impact KI's legendary ops (even on a dead day w 2 trains my god they were moving, it was the best I've seen). But yeah agreed best to risk waiting till day of that they wont likely sell out. 

On 5/17/2021 at 8:06 AM, PKI Jizzman said:

No one spotted my Fuji Q hoodie except for 1 older dude in the beer line who just wanted to rant about Kingda Ka being the best and was still very mad about Rebel Yell being changed to Racer 75. Where we the cool nerds at??

Absolutely incredible to me that some people are still willing to die on this hill, three years later.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 5:25 PM, prozach626 said:

I wonder how they'll enforce the vaccination standards. Hand stamps or wrist bands???

I wouldn't be surprised if the parks will keep the policies as already announced this year, since most of them have lightened up. 

Trust humans to do the right thing and be honest... 

On 5/17/2021 at 11:24 PM, JJLehto said:

Good to know! Yeah just on extra prepared mode given everything is still out of whack, supposedly parks all over are having staffing issues and wonder if that will impact KI's legendary ops (even on a dead day w 2 trains my god they were moving, it was the best I've seen). But yeah agreed best to risk waiting till day of that they wont likely sell out. 

I bought FL that Saturday when I was waiting for parking to open. You can only buy FL online so if you get to the park and need/want it buy it on the KI site or app. You pick up the wristband at the front gate, but gotta buy online. 

2 hours ago, PKI Jizzman said:

You pick up the wristband at the front gate

I've never heard of this. I always go to the booth just inside the gate or the store by Banshee. But are you saying you if you've already purchased it you can pick it up at the gate? Is this true for other CF parks?

do y'all think I should pre-purchase FL+ for when I'm there for CoasterStock?

It's on Fri/Sat in July, and keep in mind there is a bunch of ERT before and after Park open/close on both days.
So I hadn't planned on doing FL/FL+. . but seeing how insanely crowded all the parks have been, I'm second guessing myself if I would need it.

1st time/only time visit. . so . . . opinion?

Hard to say, since this year is so crazy. In years past I'd say wait and see, but if you don't see yourself getting back here for a while, and there's a possibility that FL may sell out, then grab it. The FL queues here are very much worth it, you basically won't wait at all.

Oh, and standard advice holds here, ride the Beast at night, and don't go in the shed.

• Like 1