TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

On 11/28/2020 at 7:10 PM, KIEnthusiast said:

They can do this but not Winterfest/Tastings of the Season? 

How is stringing lights off of the tower a comparison to the amount of work needed for an event like Winterfest? Be grateful, because from the sounds of it KI had one of the better seasons in the industry.

King Cobra was far from the best coaster ever but growing up going to Kings Island as a kid until it was removed when I was in high school I have some serious nostalgia for that thing. If I rode a Togo standup today I'd probably think it was awful but I'd be lying if I said I didn't seriously enjoy King Cobra for the years it was around,  so the nanocoaster and train model is pretty cool.

On 11/28/2020 at 8:10 PM, KIEnthusiast said:

They can do this but not Winterfest/Tastings of the Season? 

Thinking about it logically it doesn't surprise me that CF is focusing these events at the parks that missed their summer seasons completely.  To me it's a nice gesture to the pass holders who missed their season.  Maybe this has nothing to do with it and I am thinking to much but to me it makes sense. 

Plus KD, Carowinds and CW are all 8 or less hours from KI.  Make the weekend trip and support a park that may need it more than KI. 

4 hours ago, WolfBobs said:

Plus KD, Carowinds and CW are all 8 or less hours from KI.  Make the weekend trip and support a park that may need it more than KI. 

"8 or less hours" 🤣

Yeah, if it were a case where the park was fully open, I might consider doing an eight hour road trip, but for a limited Christmas event that focuses on lights and food moreso than rides? That's a pretty tough sell. These events are meant for locals to get out and enjoy a little bit of their home park, not enthusiasts looking for their next fix. And that's not even taking into account whatever arbitrary travel restrictions that may currently be in place from state to state (not discussing the validity of them, just simply stating that they exist).

• Like 3

The point was that if KIEnthuiast is so desperate for Winterfest-lite events, options exist.  Whereas his park had 4 months of a near-100% operational season while KD/CW/Carowinds got zero months of any kind of operation, which kinda removes his right to complain that KI isn't doing a Winterfest-lite like those parks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mike240SX said:

The point was that if KIEnthuiast is so desperate for Winterfest-lite events, options exist.  Whereas his park had 4 months of a near-100% operational season while KD/CW/Carowinds got zero months of any kind of operation, which kinda removes his right to complain that KI isn't doing a Winterfest-lite like those parks.

Absolutely, I do agree with that, and I'm not personally arguing that Cedar Fair should have opened KI or CP or any other park that had summer operations. I'm just saying that casting such a wide radius to the point where you're spending 4x the amount of time on the road than you would spend inside the actual park is kind of asinine, but I really guess it depends on how hard someone is fiending for a Christmas-in-the-park event.

Kings Island Camp Cedar to Open Spring 2021

image.thumb.png.44dd8911487558a9a2745d56407bf3a7.png

image.thumb.png.ec859bbefd6271aed441bbefb5ff9841.png

Source

Kings Island Official Link

MASON, Ohio--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Construction of the $27 million Kings Island Camp Cedar is underway, and the new luxury outdoor resort is scheduled to open in the spring of 2021. The resort will feature modern lodging that will welcome Kings Island guests, families, vacationers and recreational vehicle (RV) travelers.

Kings Island Camp Cedar is owned by Small Brothers, LLC and Terra Firma Associates. Through a unique partnership and licensing agreement, Kings Island Camp Cedar will be managed by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, owner of the Kings Island amusement park. Cleveland Construction serves as the general contractor, McHarris Architects as the project architect and The Kleingers Group as the project’s civil engineer.

“It’s natural for us to partner with Cedar Fair, the owners of Kings Island,” said Jon Small, Chairman and CEO of Small Brothers. “As a top destination in the area, their ability to entertain and provide a place to create lasting memories is exactly the type of experience we want our visitors to have at Kings Island Camp Cedar.”

The new luxury outdoor resort is located on more than 50 acres of land less than a mile from Kings Island’s front gates. Once complete, it will complement Warren County’s exciting tourism attractions including Kings Island, the Western & Southern Open, Warren County Sports Park and other popular southwest Ohio destinations.

“We are excited to offer our guests a unique lodging experience and a contemporary outdoor retreat so close to Kings Island,” said Mike Koontz, Vice President and General manager of Kings Island. “The addition of Kings Island Camp Cedar luxury outdoor resort will make a visit to our park even more memorable.”

The Kings Island Camp Cedar Experience

Kings Island Camp Cedar is a hybrid resort and camping destination that will open in spring, 2021 with 73 beautifully appointed cottages and 164 full-service RV spaces, with 100 additional cottages planned. Resort guests will be able to take advantage of outdoor entertainment including recreational and adult exclusive pools, ponds, walking trail and unique dining options. Plus, they will find camping must-haves including bathhouses, laundry facility, firepits, grills and picnic tables. For those visiting Kings Island, there will be a number of exclusive resort perks like Stay and Play packages.

Guests will be able to enjoy state-of-the-art resort experiences including:

The Grand Lodge will include a signature indoor/outdoor restaurant and bar, shopping, exercise facility and expansive fireplace.

An outdoor cantina will offer a casual outdoor dining and bar experience offering American, Mexican and Italian fare in a grab-and-go food truck-inspired experience.

Outdoor pools will include a family activity pool with water play features and a separate adult-exclusive pool. Both will offer poolside service and cabana facilities.

Peanuts character appearances such as Character Breakfasts, Smores with Snoopy and more.

For more information about Kings Island Camp Cedar go to visitcampcedar.com.

About Kings Island

With more than 100 rides, shows and attractions, Kings Island offers the perfect combination of world-class thrills and family attractions. Guests can experience 15 roller coasters, including the all new Orion giga coaster; Planet Snoopy, the award-winning kids’ area and Soak City, the park’s 33-acre water park included with admission. Kings Island is owned and operated by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company (NYSE: FUN), one of the largest regional amusement-resort operators in the world. For more information, go to visitkingsisland.com.

About Cedar Fair

Cedar Fair Entertainment Company (NYSE: FUN), one of the largest regional amusement-resort operators in the world, is a publicly traded partnership headquartered in Sandusky, Ohio. Focused on its mission to make people happy by providing fun, immersive and memorable experiences, the Company owns and operates 13 properties, consisting of 11 amusement parks, four separately gated outdoor water parks, and resort accommodations totaling more than 2,300 rooms and more than 600 luxury RV sites. Cedar Fair’s parks are located in Ohio, California, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Missouri, Michigan, Texas and Toronto, Ontario. The Company also operates an additional theme park in California under a management contract.

About Small Brothers

Small Brothers, LLC is a privately owned real estate development and holding company. Small Brothers, LLC seeks to acquire, develop, and invest in income-oriented real estate assets throughout the United States. The company’s current portfolio includes various income producing properties of all types including; hospitality, office, assisted living, mixed-use, industrial, warehouse, flex and residential properties. For more information, go to smallbrothers.com.

About Terra Firma Associates

Terra Firma Associates is a Cincinnati real estate development company founded in 1999 by Richard Haglage and Craig Kolb. They have been responsible for the development of over three million square feet of Greater Cincinnati area projects involving all aspects of commercial real estate. For more information, go to terrafirmaassociates.net.

Edited by A.J.
Added official images. -- A.J.

16 minutes ago, mikeykaise said:

Doesn't Kings Island already have a campground next to it, or am I mistaking a KOA campground for a KI campground?

Kings Dominion has a KOA nearby, but the nearest extant campground to KI is a KOA in Lebanon, 8 miles away.  Apparently KI had a campground closer in the distant past (like the 1970's).

There was a campground at some point around 1999 2000ish.. my Dad died in 2001 and one of our last get togethers was at a campground right by KI.... they must have put Great Wolf over top of it. I met him and some other family members there and we rode the tram to the park.

7 hours ago, prozach626 said:

It seems recently businesses sure are throwing around the word "luxury." It's becoming about as useless as the intangible label, "World Class."

Seriously. It seems like every new apartment development the last 5-10 years are "luxury" apartments. I do think it is a good addition to the area though. I would be tempted to stay in one of those cabins with friends if they offered early entry like CP does.

• Like 1

That's a great concept, I've been wanting to take my kids to stay in the cabins at Cedar Point as soon as they're tall enough for the rides there, and now I've got the same option at Kings Island so that's exciting.

On 12/8/2020 at 11:49 AM, KIEnthusiast said:

Between this and Orion, King's Island could become an international destination!!!!!

It's a roller coaster and campground not the Mira Costa, let's pump there brakes a little bit lol.

On 12/8/2020 at 12:13 PM, prozach626 said:

It seems recently businesses sure are throwing around the word "luxury." It's becoming about as useless as the intangible label, "World Class."

I dunno, Zach. Nothing screams luxury to me more than being located directly behind the McDonald's and next to an industrial park off of I-71. Ooh, totally dripping in luxury! 🤣

390831630_ScreenShot2020-12-10at9_14_23AM.png.a8941378f3ad994a3383d0958b3f14ac.png

• Haha 2

Interesting how Cedar Point has so many on site hotels to encourage guests to extend their vacations, and yet Kings Island closed their own hotel years ago. Why won't they build another one?  Knotts has a hotel, and even Carowinds built a new one a few years back.  It just makes no sense why they would not want to capitalize on their guests.
These cabins are a nice start, but they really need a full hotel with on site restaurants. 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, pianojohn said:

Interesting how Cedar Point has so many on site hotels to encourage guests to extend their vacations, and yet Kings Island closed their own hotel years ago. Why won't they build another one?  Knotts has a hotel, and even Carowinds built a new one a few years back.  It just makes no sense why they would not want to capitalize on their guests.
These cabins are a nice start, but they really need a full hotel with on site restaurants. 

I didn’t think the park actually owned that place, did they?

I remember that we almost stayed there once but then I read the reviews and it sounded like it was a big-time sh*thole.

1 hour ago, PKI Jizzman said:

This seems like a pretty ambitious project for spring 2021, right? Or is this part of a re-brand of the Great Wolf? 

No, it has nothing to do with Great Wolf. If you look at the map I posted above, they're clearing space out on the other side of Kings Mills Road back behind the McDonalds and industrial park. Great Wolf Lodge is not going anywhere.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, pianojohn said:

I'm waiting for someone to say they don't have a hotel, because Cedar Fair doesn't want Kings Island to compete with Cedar Fair.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/10/2020 at 2:33 PM, The Great Zo said:

Guests of the new campground should have a great view of the rotting carcass of The Beach right across the freeway. :lmao:

Wonder if anything's ever going to happen with the big plot of land where the KI Resort and Conference Center used to be?

At first I thought the campground was going to be The Beach repurposed. Now I'm just imagining a bunch of children asking their parents when they can ride the water slides and the parents having to explain that it's closed. Last time I drove past that area, the slides were still there and didn't look like they were going anywhere any time soon.