TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I don't get waiting in long food lines. It's so easy to leave a park and get a better meal in the time it takes you to wait in line for park food. That's been my experience. We pack a healthy lunch in the car. For dinner we leave early for food and beer, usually around 4-5. We return with plenty of time to enjoy the park and drink more beer. There are some parks which are exceptions, like CP and BGW, but with a park like KI it's very easy to come and go. I guess things are different with 8pm closings.

No park food could ever be as good as Drunken Chicken. (AKA that's what we call "Roosters" within a short drive. They have ice cold Yuengling and my favorite boneless wings ever. It's the kickoff to the shit show evening. Suggestion: Uber/Lift)

I see Fastlane Plus has increased to $100 this weekend.  I had it in my cart for $95 and after a meeting I was in ended, I went to finish my transaction and I was told that one of my cart items was no longer available.  I'd pay $200 for Fastlane Plus at Kings Island though.  Definitely one of the best paid line cutting systems out there as far as where you get to merge.  My lone complaint is that they don't have anyone inside Boo Blasters to merge the two lanes.  Makes for a rather awkward moment!  :)

15 minutes ago, BitterOldHag said:

I see Fastlane Plus has increased to $100 this weekend.  I had it in my cart for $95 and after a meeting I was in ended, I went to finish my transaction and I was told that one of my cart items was no longer available.  I'd pay $200 for Fastlane Plus at Kings Island though.  Definitely one of the best paid line cutting systems out there as far as where you get to merge.  My lone complaint is that they don't have anyone inside Boo Blasters to merge the two lanes.  Makes for a rather awkward moment!  :)

Still worth every penny, unless you only want to ride 5 rides all day long. I know Cedar Fair parks used to raise the price for Fastlane as they got closer to selling out, so you might want to act quickly if you want one. I wouldn't go without one, especially with these shorter operating hours.

56 minutes ago, prozach626 said:

No park food could ever be as good as Drunken Chicken. (AKA that's what we call "Roosters" within a short drive. They have ice cold Yuengling and my favorite boneless wings ever. It's the kickoff to the shit show evening. Suggestion: Uber/Lift)

As far as I"m concerned, I'll eat before they open at 11 am, then I can wait until they close to eat again somewhere outside the park. Who wants to give up ride time to eat? Not me, lol.

6 hours ago, grsupercity said:

I wanna try skyline chili when I go next weekend 

Don't do it! When we went last year we ingested on recommendation by our friends from Cincy who swear by Skyline chili, said it was a Cincy must and Said that it was great. So we went and ordered what we thought would be chili and were served what seemed to be some pre-digested, finely pureed meat product (With a hint of cumin) with some form of artificial cheese substance on top . I am very tolerant with food and can eat just about anything but this is just plain old awful food. Anyone who can say this stuff is good is palate deaf. I am amazed there are multiple locations that sell it and it is also sold in cans (similar to Alpo by the way) at your local supermarket. Eat at your own risk.

If you want the Cincinnati chili experience but want to do something a little less "chain-y" like Skyline, go to Blue Ash Chili. Their Mason location is literally around the corner from Kings Island. We ate there last time we were through and were deeply satisfied. Recommendations: 6-Way, chili lasagna (trust me), and if they still have it, the Chili Philly (chili-covered Philly cheesesteak), but I didn't see it on the menu anymore just now.

I might be somewhat biased since I'm an Ohioan, but I think Skyline is great.  You can actually get a decent amount of food (2 cheese coneys and fries) with the dining plan.  The Skyline at KI is right near the main entrance so lines can get pretty long at peak meal times.  There is a separate restaurant just a couple miles away, though, which might be a better option during crowded weekends.

• Like 1

I keep my eye out for any unusually short food lines as even on busy days there can be the odd lull.  Lucked out at the chicken place last Saturday at like 11:45, just two groups in front of me and it moved fast.  An hour later there was a huge line out the door.  

Brewhouse only had a few people on Sunday around noon.  Really nice relaxed stop and the burger/fries so much better than I would have guessed.  Food for my trip was A+!

Yeah, I find KI's food options to be decent enough to not necessitate leaving the park.  Tom+Chee is the shiznit, and unlike Melt at CP, is on the meal plan.  Just avoid any of the pizza places.

A tip for the Miami River Brewhouse to skip the line is to just ask to sit at the bar.  Every time I've asked the host if I could just go in, they've allowed it.

The funny thing is that Skyline actually has a rival, Gold Star Chili, which has a very similar menu.  At least among people I know (although I'm not from Cincinnati), Skyline is pretty much universally considered the better of the two.  

I was super excited to try Skyline the first time I was at KI but it turned into a meh for me. I said something that I never though I would ever say in a million years which was "there is way too much cheese on this" 🤨 I mean the proportion of cheese to chili and spaghetti was so off balance that it was ridiculous. I have no idea if that was an anomaly or how it always is. Tom+Chee on the other hand.................I would drive the 6 hours just for one of those, even if there were no rides open.

On 10/18/2020 at 9:40 AM, coasterbill said:

Skyline chili sucks. I know Cincinnati really wants to have their own *thing* but maybe just take the L on this one, read up on the sunk cost fallacy and maybe try something new. Lol

I say this out of love, Cincinnati. 

I thought this for years.  No way is brown meat water on noodles should be called chili.  

Then I ate it, hated it.  Ate it again, hated it.  For some reason ate it a third time and was like "meh it's not bad" then I kept eating it.  Now I love the stuff.  It's still brown meat water, just now it's delicious brown meat water to me.  

If it's good enough for Anthony Bourdain it's good enough for me!

3 hours ago, WolfBobs said:

I thought this for years.  No way is brown meat water on noodles should be called chili.  

Then I ate it, hated it.  Ate it again, hated it.  For some reason ate it a third time and was like "meh it's not bad" then I kept eating it.  Now I love the stuff.  It's still brown meat water, just now it's delicious brown meat water to me.  

If it's good enough for Anthony Bourdain it's good enough for me!

I grew up on the stuff even after moving to Indiana from Cincy.... one of my best memories was getting home from school and smelling the smell of it after it's been simmering all day on the stove. Cincy Chili Conies with cheese, mustard, and onions is the bomb.

I went to the park yesterday for my only visit of the year. I had a great time and the only coaster I didn't ride was Invertigo. I would have liked to, but I skipped the hour wait for a second ride on the Beast. I got to the park early to make sure I got on Orion before the line got long. I got 3 laps in before 11:30 and it slightly surpassed my expectations. It's fun, smooth, and re-rideable. I like the first drop and the wave turn like element, but the rest is forgettable. I'll probably ride Orion once during future visits and It feels weird to say that about a giga coaster. Diamondback outshines it and I much prefer Millennium Force, which is the only other giga I've been on. Like I said it's fun, so I don't want it to sound like I'm trashing it.

All the coasters were running great and I was so happy that Racer got the much needed track work. I would have ridden it a few more times if the park was open longer. The last few years it was one and done. Mystic Timbers felt more out of control than usual and I wish I could have gotten a night ride. I saved my one night ride for the Beast and it was awesome as usual.

It was weird seeing a big empty space where Vortex was. I know I'm in the minority, but I miss it. Vortex was one of my favorite coasters at KI. It will be interesting to see what happens with that space in the future. There's a lot of potential for something really cool. 

Side note, I'm also in the Skyline Chili sucks camp.

• Like 2

I like Skyline best as the dip. 

Cream cheese + Skyline + cheddar, baked. Then your fav chip.

I believe Skyline is the best over any Blue Ash/ PRC / Dixie /Goldstar but they're all so similar it's not that much of a difference. Only if you know Cincy chili do you really have a 'fav'. 

Btw Orion is a ton of fun, Banshee is running the best it has ever ran this year, Adventure Express & Bat are excellent Arrows, and there's a ton of good beer and non chili food at the park, get there!!

2 hours ago, IntaminLove said:

I went to the park yesterday for my only visit of the year. I had a great time and the only coaster I didn't ride was Invertigo. I would have liked to, but I skipped the hour wait for a second ride on the Beast. I got to the park early to make sure I got on Orion before the line got long. I got 3 laps in before 11:30 and it slightly surpassed my expectations. It's fun, smooth, and re-rideable. I like the first drop and the wave turn like element, but the rest is forgettable. I'll probably ride Orion once during future visits and It feels weird to say that about a giga coaster. Diamondback outshines it and I much prefer Millennium Force, which is the only other giga I've been on. Like I said it's fun, so I don't want it to sound like I'm trashing it.

All the coasters were running great and I was so happy that Racer got the much needed track work. I would have ridden it a few more times if the park was open longer. The last few years it was one and done. Mystic Timbers felt more out of control than usual and I wish I could have gotten a night ride. I saved my one night ride for the Beast and it was awesome as usual.

It was weird seeing a big empty space where Vortex was. I know I'm in the minority, but I miss it. Vortex was one of my favorite coasters at KI. It will be interesting to see what happens with that space in the future. There's a lot of potential for something really cool. 

Side note, I'm also in the Skyline Chili sucks camp.

Sorry you did not like Orion :(