TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I feel that KI is one of the 'most improved over the last 15 years' parks in the US. I remember dreading going there. No shade, long lines, crap rides, terrible food, etc. Cedar Fair actually really seemed to make a positive difference which I wouldn't have given them the credit for early on. I actually like the park too now!

I really need to get back to KI one of these years. The last time I went was one of those dystopian years after Son of Beast had the loop removed and the best coaster in the park was probably Flight of Fear or Firehawk. I spent more time in the waterpark than the dry park. Now the park looks to have a lineup that might be top 3 in the nation.

Even more dystopian was during that same trip, I visited SFKK 2 weeks after the Superman Tower accident. I've never seen less people in a park on a sunny summer day.

^^Speaking of Flight of Fear, you just reminded me that I forgot to mention how much I love how they revitalized Flight of Fear when they added Orion.

They added more theming to the outside of the building and some cool lighting, they added an outdoor overflow queue (was that Firehawk's queue?) they put up walls on the entrance area to make it look better and all of the effects and theming looked to be in great shape.

I'm a big fan of those rides and it's nice to see that this one is so well-taken-care-of.

Edited by coasterbill

Back in Cincy for these last two Saturday Night opportunities at KI! Anyone else going feel free to reach out.

It's been 85* here recently and the forecast looks like it's going to stay that way through the weekend. Likely gonna be another busy couple days as locals are getting the most out of their pass and people are coming in from out of state.

The last time I went was one of those dystopian years after Son of Beast had the loop removed and the best coaster in the park was probably Flight of Fear or Firehawk..

Was Beast closed for some reason while you were there?

Was there ever a bathroom back by Flight of Fear/Firehawk before they made it Area 72? I was surprised how there was no bathroom back there in my recent visit and I think the closest ones were over by Windseeker or Adventure Express.

Nope. Same issue at Kings Dominion surprisingly; the nearest bathrooms to their FoF/i305 area is buried up in the middle of Safari Village.

KI is one of the parks I need to get back to most (I was supposed to this summer, but you know...). My last visit was in 2015 and I liked the park atmosphere, but found the coaster lineup slightly underwhelming since it lacked what I would consider a true headliner. Diamondback, Banshee, and Beast all came up just short of that for me. From the looks of it, atmosphere and especially f&b have improved even more and Orion or Mystic Timbers could be that halo coaster I've been waiting for.

Was there ever a bathroom back by Flight of Fear/Firehawk before they made it Area 72? I was surprised how there was no bathroom back there in my recent visit and I think the closest ones were over by Windseeker or Adventure Express.

Nope. Same issue at Kings Dominion surprisingly; the nearest bathrooms to their FoF/i305 area is buried up in the middle of Safari Village.

Ok thanks. Honestly Kings Island has improved so much my only issue with that park is a lack of bathrooms.

Was Beast closed for some reason while you were there?

Haha actually I'd never seen a POV before I first rode it and I didn't know anything about the layout other than what you can see in pictures. I still remember halfway through my first ride thinking how it was the dumbest thing I'd ever ridden, especially considering the hype. After a couple more rides and a magical front seat night ride it grew on me a bit. But yeah...when I first saw 2/3rds of the layout was just long straightaways through the woods it was a WTF moment for sure lol.

I feel like the more coasters I ride the more I appreciate coasters that are just flat-out-weird and the Beast is flat-out-weird. Also, all of the hype is real for the night rides.

I think it's because even so many good rides fall into similar experiences and categories.

Last Saturday 10PM close night of the season this weekend, I'm probably going to get FL+ and actually get multiple rides in since I had one real visit this season.

Anyone else going on Sat?

I will be at KI on Saturday if you want to meet up!

I am assuming you would still recommend FL+ for Saturday, October 24th, right? I am not sure if we are going to be able to make the drive yet because of work situations, but we might be able to get away for a long weekend and that would be the target day for my first visit to KI given that it won't be open on the Friday before.

I am assuming you would still recommend FL+ for Saturday, October 24th, right? I am not sure if we are going to be able to make the drive yet because of work situations, but we might be able to get away for a long weekend and that would be the target day for my first visit to KI given that it won't be open on the Friday before.

I'd get it!

There's no OSU football, people have given up on the Bengals, and no one believes in the Reds. Anyone in the tri-state area with a season pass is probably going to be there

At least us Browns fans wait till the bye week to completely give up on our team... before getting hurt again every Sunday. It's been my Sunday fall tradition since 1999! :audible sigh:

KI does have one of the largest season pass bases in the chain and fall weekends is traditionally the busiest weekends for both Ohio parks.

wiyoh1984 and I had a great day at KI on Saturday, and it was great to meet Ape as well. It was like a mini TPR day!

FL+ was needed. As the previous weeks have shown and as I've called out - it's just packed. When I got off the exit I was surrounded by KY and IN license plates. I imagine the following weeks will be just as busy with the Fall food & bev event.

What makes wait times deceivingly long is that KI's staff is still constantly being added, so you've got inexperienced operators which is better than no staff! Just be prepared to be patient. Seemed like every other ride there was someone being trained.

Mask usage/safety restrictions still being enforce, love it. Ops are telling people to cover up their nose, wear face coverings properly, and there are signs at every ride saying 'no mask, no onride photo' haha. Well done KI.

It is shitty that FL for the reduced hours days are still the same price as the longer Sept/Summer days ($95) But it is what it is. So either pay up for FL and have ERT all day, or get there at opening get a few rides in before crowd multiplies too quick and all the queues are full. Adventure Express had the line out to the midway, Orion as well. Sun sets FAST at 730 (and earlier each day) so 8pm night rides will be possible. Just gotta plan ahead because everyone wants a Beast night ride. I'll post some pics later!

Orion row 4 is my favorite row?!