TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

They didn't scan anything, so I can imagine you just get back in line for a ticket. Things change daily so I'm sure they are working on making it fair.

As of yesterday, there was a sign saying one boarding pass per passholder per day. It's done on the honor system. When I came back later in the day to ask if the standby queue would reopen after the final boarding pass time, the employee actually tried giving me a second boarding pass that I turned down.

I saw earlier someone asked if the water park was going to open, I "hear" none of the cedar fair water parks will be opening this season.

Wow, RIP Dorney Park, I guess.

Well, they did officially come out and say that Wildwater Kingdom wasn't opening with Dorney Park's rides on the 8th, but haven't ruled it out completely. CF also owns (and operates?) those two Schlitterbahn parks in Texas, and they've been open since the middle of June.

In states where masks are not mandated, staffing is probably a major issue more than anything else. Figure 2 lifeguards per pair of slides, not to mention the 10 at the wave pool and who-knows-how-many for the lazy river, then you have all of the food service stands...it all adds up. In states that have said "if you're in a public place you have to wear a mask," then waterparks are a non-starter.

I saw earlier someone asked if the water park was going to open, I "hear" none of the cedar fair water parks will be opening this season.

Cedar Point Shores is confirmed to be staying closed, Soak City is TBD

and the Worlds of Fun calendar still says hours pending for Oceans of Fun,, have they filled the pools at any of the parks or left them empty?

Edited by rickjuly252012

Well, they did officially come out and say that Wildwater Kingdom wasn't opening with Dorney Park's rides on the 8th, but haven't ruled it out completely. CF also owns (and operates?) those two Schlitterbahn parks in Texas, and they've been open since the middle of June.

In states where masks are not mandated, staffing is probably a major issue more than anything else. Figure 2 lifeguards per pair of slides, not to mention the 10 at the wave pool and who-knows-how-many for the lazy river, then you have all of the food service stands...it all adds up. In states that have said "if you're in a public place you have to wear a mask," then waterparks are a non-starter.

a few weeks ago they were offering a $200 bonus for lifeguards at Oceans of Fun, CF mandates masks at all of it's parks no matter what the local mandate is, Kansas City right now is only mandating masks indoors

Noah's Ark was full this weekend, White Water in Branson and Big Surf in the Ozarks have opened, they don't recommended masks in the water

My point was that masks + water park =/= a functional solution. Wet cloth isn't exactly breathable (ever heard of waterboarding?). If the state requires masks EVERYWHERE, with no exceptions, then there's no point in opening a water park.

You can bet if Oceans of Fun opens, masks will be required for entry and in food lines and then when not on rides or generally walking around. This is the exact policy that has been implemented at CF's Schlitterbahn parks:

"Face coverings are required for entry into the park, in food and beverage lines, bars, merchandise locations, restroom facilities, and as you exit the park. Face masks are encouraged while walking throughout the park. For your safety, we ask that you remove face coverings when experiencing water attractions or pools. Face coverings are not required while waiting in line for water attractions, nor for guests under the age of two-years-old."

My point was that masks + water park =/= a functional solution. Wet cloth isn't exactly breathable (ever heard of waterboarding?). If the state requires masks EVERYWHERE, with no exceptions, then there's no point in opening a water park.

You can bet if Oceans of Fun opens, masks will be required for entry and in food lines and then when not on rides or generally walking around. This is the exact policy that has been implemented at CF's Schlitterbahn parks:

"Face coverings are required for entry into the park, in food and beverage lines, bars, merchandise locations, restroom facilities, and as you exit the park. Face masks are encouraged while walking throughout the park. For your safety, we ask that you remove face coverings when experiencing water attractions or pools. Face coverings are not required while waiting in line for water attractions, nor for guests under the age of two-years-old."

some wateer parks have opened in states with a mask mandate, like Raging Rivers in Grafton IL

some wateer parks have opened in states with a mask mandate, like Raging Rivers in Grafton IL

From their own website:

"We are limiting park capacity to 50% at this time, we encourage social distancing, guests are not required to wear masks and no reservations required."

From the IL Department of Public Health:

"Everyone over the age of 2 who can medically tolerate a face covering over their nose and mouth must wear one in a public place when unable to maintain a safe distance (6 feet) from others."

I couldn't find any exception in the IL rules for water parks, so it sounds to me like they're breaking the states own rules. Good for them resisting tyranny.

From their own website:

"We are limiting park capacity to 50% at this time, we encourage social distancing, guests are not required to wear masks and no reservations required."

"Everyone over the age of 2 who can medically tolerate a face covering over their nose and mouth must wear one in a public place when unable to maintain a safe distance (6 feet) from others."

I couldn't find any exception in the IL rules for water parks, so it sounds to me like they're breaking the states own rules. Good for them resisting tyranny.

CDC doesn't recommend masks while swimming

From their own website:

CDC doesn't recommend masks while swimming

Because its similar to waterboarding

Orion is good. It's fun but for me, it just seems like its missing something.

I also feel Kings Island is doing a great job at running the park with everything that is going on. i never felt not safe with when I was at the park yesterday.

Anyone who has gotten the chance to ride Orion had any issues with the restrains? My friend is able to ride any other B&M coaster with the clamshells (that he had tried to ride) but for some reason could not get the restraint secured on Orion and had to take the walk of shame. He was able to ride Dimondback later that day with no issues, and rode Mako a few days earlier no issue. Wondering if this is specific to all giga B&Ms or this is specific to just Orion.

Orion seems to be a hair different. I've seen quite a few people talking about this. You have to get 3 clicks but it seems they start slightly earlier. DB, Fury, etc you only need 2 clicks...or so I've read.

I didn't really notice a different in the two myself but it's not exactly a super tight fit for me. I did see a couple people that had to walk which I thought would have been ok. Best of luck.

These waterboarding comments are cracking me up. Nobody is suggesting wearing a mask WHILE SWIMMING, that would be absurd. The difficulty of wearing masks at a water park stems from the logistics of having to wear a mask in line for a water slide, and then what? Hold onto the mask while you go down the slide? Put it in your pocket? Now it’s soaked or lost. Nevermind the nightmare of masks clogging drains. Clearly wave pools and lazy rivers are probably a no-go because you know, you’re in the water, and at that point why open the water park to begin with?

Briefly pulling back on topic to the new coaster. Really enjoyed it! Got 16 total laps in on it with the help of my FL+ I bought during president's day sale.

Also, this may not always happen, but the operators ditched the ride access tickets at the last hour and let everyone on because there was a sharp drop in guests in the park and around Area 72 at that point. It might've been because Sunday was ridiculously hot and muggy and most folks were ready to go home at that point. Nonetheless, Flight of Fear went from 60 minute wait at noon to walk-on at 6pm and Orion was between walk-ons and in-station waits for the last hour.

An elderly lady was sitting behind me for one lap on Orion, and I quite enjoyed her comment on the brake run: "Wow, what a way to fly!" Not to say the coaster is weak, but praise the fact it's a crowd pleaser a LOT of people are gonna be able to enjoy without fear of losing their lunch (i.e. my dad after he rode SV last year). It's fast and tall, pure and simple, and very re-rideable. Not a top-10 coaster for me, but I still had a blast on it!

These waterboarding comments are cracking me up. Nobody is suggesting wearing a mask WHILE SWIMMING, that would be absurd.

One poster said "I couldnt find any exception in the IL rules for water parks, so it sounds to me like they're breaking the states own rules."

These waterboarding comments are cracking me up. Nobody is suggesting wearing a mask WHILE SWIMMING, that would be absurd. The difficulty of wearing masks at a water park stems from the logistics of having to wear a mask in line for a water slide, and then what? Hold onto the mask while you go down the slide? Put it in your pocket? Now it’s soaked or lost. Nevermind the nightmare of masks clogging drains. Clearly wave pools and lazy rivers are probably a no-go because you know, you’re in the water, and at that point why open the water park to begin with?

Schliterbahn doesn't require masks in the lines

Briefly pulling back on topic to the new coaster. Really enjoyed it! Got 16 total laps in on it with the help of my FL+ I bought during president's day sale.

Also, this may not always happen, but the operators ditched the ride access tickets at the last hour and let everyone on because there was a sharp drop in guests in the park and around Area 72 at that point. It might've been because Sunday was ridiculously hot and muggy and most folks were ready to go home at that point. Nonetheless, Flight of Fear went from 60 minute wait at noon to walk-on at 6pm and Orion was between walk-ons and in-station waits for the last hour.

An elderly lady was sitting behind me for one lap on Orion, and I quite enjoyed her comment on the brake run: "Wow, what a way to fly!" Not to say the coaster is weak, but praise the fact it's a crowd pleaser a LOT of people are gonna be able to enjoy without fear of losing their lunch (i.e. my dad after he rode SV last year). It's fast and tall, pure and simple, and very re-rideable. Not a top-10 coaster for me, but I still had a blast on it!

They reopened standby on Saturday when I was there. The last boarding pass finished an hour before park close so they reopened the queue for a bit afterwards.

For anyone planning a mutli-day trip with a season pass, the system now appears to be allowing unlimited reservations. I've got three so far and tried to make a fourth and it would have allowed it.

'That all sounds awesome, especially the ***16*** rides!, thanks for the update! I am excited to try it again.

I rode with a kid on Saturday that was obviously a fan. He also had fast lane. We was nearing 40 rides for the day and this was at 5ish. He had been there since First riders. He was well over 100 laps. Nice guy. We chatted for awhile sitting on the brakes.