TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I would imagine some type of screen based thing done by the company who did Mystic and Copperhead.

Both Copperhead and Mystic Timbers were pretty forward about the heavy (for CP) themeing involved. I wouldn't expect much.

The best thing to hope for on the entrance and queue are comments like, "It looks surprisingly better than I thought, despite all of the Concrete." or, "There are a few nice touches." Cross your fingers for other nerdy positive comments that we make when we do trip reports. Personally, I really don't care much. "It looks fine" is good enough for me. There's never any themeing in the fastlane lines, anyway...

Hopefully KI can polish all of the rust off for the opening in 2021, unless there's a bad stomach flu going around. I'm still holding out for that POV. Maybe Christmas time.

Here’s a new drone video, very good look at the overall Area 72 section.

My number one thought: what’s with all the plywood fencing in Area 72? It would have looked better and more consistent with the theming if it was all metal fencing. You can see that they put up new metal fencing where Firehawk’s brake run turn was. Why not extend that to the whole area?

I'm totally gonna be that guy, and question whether they had permission or not to fly that drone over private park property (I'm leaning on "doubt" because of hovering the drone on the lift hill at 00:00 of the video). As much as we all want to grasp anything involving the coaster or any amusement park in general during widespread closures, I'm pretty sure there's some legality issues with flying drones into private park property, regardless if its open or closed or if the airspace is technically open for it.

^^^ As usual, great drone footage. I love your "flying under" the lift hill. This isn't the first post of your drone footage, so I'm sure you're good. K.I. would've shut you down by now. Thanks again, and I wish I was riding in person...

^^^ As usual, great drone footage. I love your "flying under" the lift hill. This isn't the first post of your drone footage, so I'm sure you're good. K.I. would've shut you down by now. Thanks again, and I wish I was riding in person...

It’s not me, I’m just sharing the news and videos on this project that get uploaded. My home park is Kings Island and I’ve been keeping close tabs on the stuff people have shared online about Orion. If it was me doing the videos, all the videos would be on the same channel. It seems to be three or four different people doing the drone videos.

Understandable. I didn't mean to point it out at you specifically, and don't mean to sound rude.

I only point it out since it only takes one idiot to cause heightened security and enact new rules for professional drone flyers to jump thru. It's happened in my whole city years ago already (someone crashes drone into stadium during football game, crashes drone on tallest building in city, basically can't fly anywhere until you get actual permission).

Also, it's already not allowed:754458827_ScreenShot2020-05-30at5_11_21PM.thumb.png.c1c54986f23f3a035e1fd2f237b8d7d9.pngYeah, I'm being a stringent party pooper. But it is something folks should know about in case someone else get any ideas as if it IS allowed.

Yeah, I'm being a stringent party pooper. But it is something folks should know about in case someone else get any ideas as if it IS allowed.

Not being a party pooper at all. I'm sure there are rules in place at the parks to shut everything down if there is a drone in the area. Think of all the people who would have a field day if Orion's construction was delayed because someone wanted a better view of it.

I don't see there being an exceptions for amusement parks. The only thing I can see is a commitment from the state perhaps, that gives the operators a heads up that July 1st or whatever day will be the day they can open, 2 weeks or so in advance, so the parks have a little time to prepare and get ready to get open as soon as they are allowed. But who knows!

^Agreed, amusement parks are very clearly called out in the new health order, so we'll have to wait until at least next month. Stricker's Grove also recently announced via their Facebook page that they will not be opening for the 2020 season.

I found the article linked below to be interesting as well. It does seem somewhat likely that Ohioans could head over to Indiana or Kentucky as their attractions start to reopen.

Article: https://www.cleveland.com/business/2020/05/ohio-tourism-industry-losing-patience-with-gov-mike-dewine-lack-of-timetable-for-reopening-zoos-museums-amusement-parks.html

Good news for zoo lovers in Ohio: Gov. Mike DeWine promised he’ll have an answer on Thursday for when the state’s zoos, museums and other tourist attractions can reopen.

“And I think for most of these facilities, it will be good news,” he said.

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2020/06/gov-mike-dewine-says-hell-reveal-thursday-when-zoos-museums-and-amusement-parks-can-reopen.html

I'm not even concerned with this year's activity, anymore. I'll wait and see how the guest satisfaction is before I make the decision to attend any parks. When I do, I'll probably stay local, or visit another city within close reach, with the park visits being the smallest portion of entertainment during the trips.

I don't mind wearing masks and I can comply with the other restrictions. It's whatever. But, if there are reports that the restrictions at the park are turning into chaotic buzz killed visits I'll pass all together. I'm going to assume that trips won't be worth it. If it turns out everything seems tolerable and still very fun, it will be a nice surprise. Until then, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Like everything else this year, I'm planning for the worst and any unexpected exceptions will be nice surprises. 2020 blows and I'm considering it a wash. Rant over.

Yeah, I'm being a stringent party pooper. But it is something folks should know about in case someone else get any ideas as if it IS allowed.

Not being a party pooper at all. I'm sure there are rules in place at the parks to shut everything down if there is a drone in the area. Think of all the people who would have a field day if Orion's construction was delayed because someone wanted a better view of it.

We don't know if the video was allowed or not. I don't think it's anyone's place to say.

^Same.

I have given up on theme parks this year. If I get to visit my local ones once they open, great! But I am fully expecting to ride a very minimal amount of rides this year. In fact, around the time we usually travel for theme parks (mid-late July), my family is planning a trip to Yellowstone, staying in a cabin and exploring the Tetons and the national park. We've been wanting to do it for a while, and with theme parks being a wash this year, it's the perfect time. Yay for expanding horizons!

Well things are heating up...

MASON, Ohio (FOX19) - Kings Island sued Thursday to reopen its amusement and water park off Interstate 71 in Warren County.

The lawsuit names Dr. Amy Acton in her official capacity as the director of the Ohio Department of Health and the Warren County Health District.

It asks a judge to order the immediately reopening of amusement parks and water parks and to prevent Acton from closing them again in the future.

Like other amusement parks and water parks throughout Ohio, Kings Island has been shut down all season due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Acton’s latest health order requires them to remain closed through July 1.

Most of the state’s economy and businesses already have reopened or can soon.

Gov. Mike DeWine announced Thursday zoos, museums, playgrounds cinemas and other entertainment venues can reopen starting June 10 with virus precautions and attendance restrictions.

DeWine: Cincinnati Zoo, playgrounds, museums, cinemas can reopen

It remains unclear if state officials will allow amusement parks and water parks to reopen before July 1.

A spokesman for DeWine’s office told FOX19 NOW earlier Thursday: “The administration is still working on guidance for those facilities.”

Kings Island is not alone in turning to the courts.

A similar lawsuit Thursday by the owners of the Sandusky water park Kalahari Resorts & Conventions. That one names Acton in her official capacity and the Erie County General Health District.

We are seeking comment again now from DeWine’s office in light of Kings Island’s lawsuits and will update this story.

Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost told us he wouldn’t have any comment on the Kings Island lawsuit because it was just filed and he hadn’t had a chance to review it yet.

The lawsuit was filed a few hours after Ohio House Republicans took action to try to reopen amusement parks and water parks.

“Our economic future depends on a swift reopening of these important venues which provide a constructive educational and recreational outlet for all Ohioans,” State Rep. Bill Seitz, R-Green Township, tells FOX19 NOW.

An amendment reopening amusement parks and water parks is now part of House Bill 665 regarding amusement park ride safety.

House GOP tries to reopen Ohio amusement parks despite health order keeping them closed

The full House was not expected to vote on the amendment and House Bill 665 Thursday, but Republican lawmakers tell FOX19 NOW they will try to pass it soon if DeWine doesn’t reopen them.

It’s not clear how far that would go, however.

Republican lawmakers already tried to limit her powers before and failed.

Last month, the Ohio Senate rejected their effort to limit Acton’s ability to issue stay-at-home orders to 14 days. They could only be extended if approved by a legislative oversight committee.

DeWine also said he would veto the legislation if it reached his desk.

Cedar Fair, which owns Kings Island in Warren County and Cedar Point in Sandusky, announced on their website they hope to reopen soon.

“Cedar Fair fully supports the amendment to HB 665 that was adopted today in the House Agriculture and Rural Development Committee. The amendment provides for the immediate re-opening of Ohio amusement parks and water parks,” reads the statement from Richard Zimmerman, CEO of Cedar Fair Entertainment Company, which owns Kings Island and Cedar Point.

"We fully anticipate and expect having the same opportunity granted to other businesses in Ohio to operate our business in a safe and manageable environment.

"As professional amusement park operators with an exemplary safety record, we are experts at managing risks and following protocols. The protocols we have developed to reopen our parks are in accordance with governmental and CDC directives, Erie County and Warren County Health Departments, medical professionals, Ohio’s Development Services Agency (DSA) and industry best practices. They are specifically responsive to the COVID-19 crisis.

Source Fox19