TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

TRACK WORK DONE ON KINGS ISLAND'S ORION ROLLER COASTER

oriontrackdone14.png

Construction workers set the final piece of track on the new Orion roller coaster Thursday at Kings Island.

Track piece No. EL 122 was the final piece installed on the 5,321-foot long steel ride. It was set into place at 12:56 p.m.

It took SkyHigh Coasters Inc. 168 days to erect the ride after the first piece of track was delivered to the 364-acre amusement and water park Aug. 16, 2019.

Set to debut when Kings Island opens for the 2020 season April 11, Orion will be one of only seven giga coasters in the world. Coasters in that category have a height or drop of 300 feet to 399 feet.

Themed to the park’s new Area 72, the ride features the latest prototype vehicle developed by the Project X initiative. Scientists are in a race against time to develop technology capable of weaving transport vehicles through a coming meteor storm and traveling to a new planet within the Orion constellation. For the program to be successful, it needs volunteers to help with testing.

Riders on Orion will plummet down a 300-foot first drop at an 85-degree angle and then traverse over seven more hills at speeds up to 91 mph along 5,321 feet of track on the tallest, fastest and longest steel coaster at Kings Island.

One of the most highly-anticipated new rides in the amusement and theme park industry this year, Orion was exclusively designed for Kings Island by Switzerland-based Bolliger & Mabillard, which also designed the park’s popular Banshee and Diamondback roller coasters.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Source.

This coaster looks so awesome. I can't wait to give it a go later this year! This will be my first B&M Giga, so I'm probably more excited for this than I should be!

Well I got the Coasterstock tickets today since it's on the boy's birthday. So, we will be on it the first morning of the event which is Fri 5/15. It kind of cracks me up that they are even gonna have other rides open during the morning ert of the first day. I can't imagine too many of the Coasterstock crowd are gonna go to the antique cars (even though they are very well done) over Orion that morning. On the other hand I guess they have to have something for those that are stuck going but don't do coasters.