TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I dunno, it could be because it's the only coaster available so it would naturally have a lengthy line? It appears we would never know since I doubt they would open more coasters (which I think they should have at least 3, especially the one in the controlled environment).

I dunno, it could be because it's the only coaster available so it would naturally have a lengthy line?

Right, because the demographic of the event seems to really want to ride coasters (despite the common response as to why they don't run them).

I think you're seeing what is happening and assuming it's what must happen.

This

Here's a little TR from 12/26 with some more pictures.

Arrived a little before 5 and thankfully we got there at opening because we only waited 15 minutes for Mystic Timbers. By the time we got off the ride the queue was full and nearly overflowing and the staff were giving 2 hour estimates. My mom rode and had an okay time on it. She hadn't been on a coaster since Top Gun nearly gave her a heart attack when she rode with me in probably 2002ish

The artisan village around the Eiffel Tower was unexpected. How do I know they were artisan crafts? Well, one of the shop merchants yelled "We are local artisans selling artisnal crafts!!" at us when they overheard us discussing who would buy brooms or log fire grates from Kings Island.

The lit up Eiffel Tower is pretty mesmerizing and the park looked good, but there were some really dark spots in the park which made it hard not to bump into people/little kids at times. Without the rides lit up and stuff it was dark!

We skipped the tubing hill. It looked like an operational disaster.

Skipped Antiques. The queue was full and overflowing down to the arcade.

Skipped the train. The line was overflowing.

Skipped the bumper cars. We're not that easily entertained.

Waited a full queue for the Zephyr/swings, haha.

Luckily got on Shake Rattle and Roll before the queue filled up.

Waited 20 minutes in the SRL for Mystic Timbers.

This event is not for me and I'm not sure I'd suggest going if you have to pay with the same offering next year. I'll gladly go back when there are more attractions and there's no way my family would come back either unless there was more to do. Even my Mom wanted to ride the Viking Ship and Adventure Express, and she hates coasters!

20191226_174350.thumb.jpg.1603bdb1658b112a7084c5d2fb405a9b.jpg

She held hear breath after the first drop, haha. But survived.

20191226_174811.thumb.jpg.88e697aa5a19a4649830bc804bddfd4b.jpg

So long pal.

20191226_174934.thumb.jpg.e67e5d303425cda815d7f7c803c2bbc7.jpg

I'll miss seeing you but I'm ready for something new and better.

20191226_175936.thumb.jpg.bc8b6dbe1c5c7c7ac06aa762b7fe7cb3.jpg

New 2019 hotness!!

20191226_180953.thumb.jpg.b27c1c691a909452338ae907e94d0dd4.jpg

New 2019 decoration hotness!!

20191226_185055.thumb.jpg.08cb3d7bd0250255ac7089c4f958d939.jpg

Sadly, we skipped because the lines were insane.

20191226_185101.thumb.jpg.b5ab5d7d44be655691b114dd75ff582b.jpg

Looked great, though.

20191226_185454.thumb.jpg.2b4b89d1d1bde78f5ad433667cfc10ab.jpg

Probably 80% gold pass members and 100% of those pass holders seemed to have meal plans

20191226_193443.thumb.jpg.432b141071f5c39e1018f09a592a120e.jpg

What's with no blue ice cream? Another reason why this event is not for me.

Just catching up on this thread after being MIA for a while. I visited WinterFest four times this season and while it is a bummer that more rides aren't open, it was still a nice event. There were a lot more lights and pretty displays this year compared to last year. Still, I don't think we would have visited if we didn't have passes.

I have a lot of photos I haven't shared due to laziness but maybe in this boring Ohio offseason I will catch up on posting TRs and share them.

Also, this year I visited Kings Island more times than previous years with 17 total visits! It helps that I'm dating someone who visits the park allll the time. He went over 60 times this year!

Here's a pic from our visit on NYE. We didn't stay until midnight mainly because the rides closed at 10, it was really cold, and we wanted to go to Fountain Square to ring in the new year. Here's our last coaster ride of 2019.4def367a-c671-459e-b5a1-5d4d72906dee.thumb.jpg.4a62d446f55037fa59eff221a2d3bd67.jpg

Last ride of the decade for us!

Cheers to even more KI trips and coaster trips in the Screamin' 20s!

This might be the first time a hockey team has ever done a theme night for a roller coaster.

If you're a fan of The Beast, you won't want to miss this night! The @CincyCyclones become the Cincinnati Beasts for their game on Feb. 28 in honor of the iconic wooden roller coaster and will wear specialty jerseys that will be auctioned off after the game.

ENtZEYXXsAAHow9.jpg:orig

The turnaround on Orion is 204ft! Going right down into that long speed hill. I'm hoping it's like Titan or Goliath in that it's a solid 2-3 second 0G float.

Probably along the lines of Mako's or Leviathan's (although with a slight turn/bank) little hills, which are probably my favorite portions on both rides. I was kind of hoping when I heard KI was getting a giga that it would be loaded with a few of those low, high speed airtime hills. Happy to see Hershey's get a small bump, too.

^ The only thing that I would change about Orion (without getting crazy and adding 50 feet and 2,000 in length) would be to replace the big airtime hill with just another small speed hill - just because Diamondback already has plenty of big hills. But otherwise, I think the ride is perfect as far as the length and area can allow it to be. Looking great!

^ But how do you know what you want to change about Orion when you've never ridden it?

I give Orion 11/10. They're all good coasters, Brent.

The same way any hobbyist of any kind can judge and talk about the ‘wish list’ they had for a particular item.

A photographer may see a lens just released they never used, but can prefer a different feature set, build quality, aperture or zoom range based on their experience with similar products.

A car guy can see a new Toyota Camry announced but wish it didn’t have the weird grill, a different wheel aesthetic, wish for a different engine or transmission used.

A gamer can see a new release he has yet to play, but can make comment on specific graphics or the storyline based on information released.

A gardener may see a new shovel and hate it’s shape compared to others, even though they never used the thing.

And so on and so forth…

Just because nobody has ridden this thing, most have ridden other B&M’s and can make judgement based on what they see at this point. You don’t need to have ridden a ride to have an opinion on the features, layout and whatever else. It’s just part of any hobby… I don’t know why coaster enthusiasts get defensive about those who comment on something they have yet to ride. It may be more or less fun that one might expect, but why does that matter to one’s wish list on a particular ride?

I'd personally change a lot about Orion if I had the super powers to do so, but I don't. It looks fun, but yeah... So maybe the next giga!

OK then.

It’s a forum… People discuss/bicker/complain… I can see if you go to one extreme saying the ride will completely suck and rant about how terrible the park or whatever is for building whatever, but the comment by southpuddle was positive statement with a change they would have liked to see in the design. Big whoop.

I think Orion's layout looks great, but I don't think there's an issue with simply wishing it had a certain element, more length, more height, etc. I think as long as you don't scorn the ride it doesn't mean you're being negative about it. I welcome the conversation. Just be careful about using the word "bickering." I'm sure someone will get triggered...

I don't mind being avoided. It's flattering.

A car guy can see a new Toyota Camry announced but wish it didn’t have the weird grill, a different wheel aesthetic, wish for a different engine or transmission used.

I get what you're saying, but we give zero shits about Toyota Camrys.

It's a pretty excellent day to check out the webcam! https://www.visitkingsisland.com/explore/live-video

The big airtime hill is going up.

The turnaround on Orion is 204ft! Going right down into that long speed hill. I'm hoping it's like Titan or Goliath in that it's a solid 2-3 second 0G float.

Probably along the lines of Mako's or Leviathan's (although with a slight turn/bank) little hills, which are probably my favorite portions on both rides. I was kind of hoping when I heard KI was getting a giga that it would be loaded with a few of those low, high speed airtime hills. Happy to see Hershey's get a small bump, too.

I haven't gotten on either of those yet, but yeah I'm all for the high speed hills!

Capture.thumb.JPG.83cf4cb515658992680bed0cd20dc2d6.JPG