TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I've heard that answer about them installing Christmas decorations going up being why the camera is down a couple of times, and it's certainly possible that's the case. However, it sure seems like they picked the absolute worst time they could have to put those decorations up, and take the camera down, and with almost three weeks still to opening weekend of Winterfest, there is plenty of time to put them up, where it won't interfere with the construction of the lift hill. As such, it seems to me, that for whatever reason, KI has decided to not make the construction of the lift hill available to people to view on the webcams. I can't speculate as to why, as it doesn't make any sense to me, but I do think it's a conscious decision on their part.

Let me also make it clear I don't personally care, as I can count on one hand the number of times I've ever looked at an amusement park webcam, and leave it to others to religiously follow roller coaster construction in general. It's fun to see progress pics as they go up, and are posted, but I can take them or leave them personally. I'm just commenting on this to point out that I don't think this is due to Winterfest prep, or an oversight on the park's part. I think it's an intentional decision by the park, for whatever reasons, which I will refrain from speculating on here. That's my perspective on this at least.

^^Word

Now...

Feast your eyes on this hyper coaster:

#notmygiga

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Space Odyssey music would or something have been more appropriate, but you know. Leave it to a Midwest city to ffck everything up just right. Not mad about it.

1ANXBro.jpg

fUZa1Um.jpg

Photo credit: Amusement Insiders FB page

Edited by prozach626

Okay... Can someone explain to me how this is not a “true giga?”

Not trying to be an ass here. I feel like I’ve missed something.... I’ve seen “fake giga,” or “not a real giga” a couple of times, and I’m confused!

Not trying to be an ass here. I feel like I’ve missed something.... I’ve seen “fake giga,” or “not a real giga” a couple of times, and I’m confused!

Its a running joke since its not 300 feet tall. Its like 286 but with a 300 foot drop

Considering it's only 57 feet taller off the ground, the visual difference in height between Orion and Diamondback isn't going to look incredibly staggering, I'm certain. (That was even my thought seeing its construction of the lift and drop in person, although it wasn't topped off, so doesn't really count). Still, again, it's going to come down to the actual ride experience in the end, not the stats.

Edited by Midgetman82

We'll have to see when the lift is all topped off and we can get right up close and personal with it. The overall diameter of the lift is more and the supports will be wider and more spread out. The lift may not be that much taller, but I think when it's topped off it will look larger and more imposing. Despite only 70 feet of height difference, Leviathan's lift looked much larger than Behemoth's lift. Although 20'ish feet shy from that example height difference, it should still have a similar affect.

With the TPR poll coming back to life, I'd love to know where everyone had Vortex at on their list and where they are rating it this year.

Vortex was in the bottom quarter of 300 something coasters among Cannonball at Lake Winnie, Iron Dragon, the Gerstlauer spinners.

With the TPR poll coming back to life, I'd love to know where everyone had Vortex at on their list and where they are rating it this year.

Vortex was in the bottom quarter of 300 something coasters among Cannonball at Lake Winnie, Iron Dragon, the Gerstlauer spinners.

Been #1 for me since I was 14 years old. I just don't get all the hate for old Arrows. Sure they are a little jerky, but I think it adds to the charm. I just don't get the same enjoyment out of a B&M looper as I do an arrow and I'm really gonna miss it. I know they can't all be saved but I think Vortex was the best of the big arrow loopers and was worth being preserved.

^^^ It wasn't worth being preserved. It's been repeatedly explained from a common sense financial point of view that parks keep attractions based on ridership and cost. King's Island is a business, not a museum. At this point, I can't tell if you're trolling.

American Airlines retired one of their airplane models from their fleet just prior to Vortex closing. We saw banners and tributes in DFW when we were coming home from a trip. A week later, I saw a long segment on a news network about it. The planes were outdated and they didn't deliver as much rider comfort and efficiency as other modern aircraft. However, there were a ton of pilots, crew members, and maintenance techs who were pretty sad about the aircraft being retired. For quite a while, the airplanes were an icon for American Airlines. Despite some actual tears, not one person interviewed made mention of the possibility of preserving the airplanes.

Related: According to every other coaster enthusiast Facebook user, Vortex was their #1 coaster on its final day of operation. It's going to land a solid #7 on the list.

^^^ It wasn't worth being preserved. It's been repeatedly explained from a common sense financial point of view that parks keep attractions based on ridership and cost. King's Island is a business, not a museum. At this point, I can't tell if you're trolling.

American Airlines retired one of their airplane models from their fleet just prior to Vortex closing. We saw banners and tributes in DFW when we were coming home from a trip. A week later, I saw a long segment on a news network about it. The planes were outdated and they didn't deliver as much rider comfort and efficiency as other modern aircraft. However, there were a ton of pilots, crew members, and maintenance techs who were pretty sad about the aircraft being retired. For quite a while, the airplanes were an icon for American Airlines. Despite some actual tears, not one person interviewed made mention of the possibility of preserving the airplanes.

Related: According to every other coaster enthusiast Facebook user, Vortex was their #1 coaster on its final day of operation. It's going to land a solid #7 on the list.

It would be nice though to see a park retrack an old arrow, or put enough money into one to have it see the future. I understand from a financial standpoint, but having a park with a great blend of Modern and classic rides provides a very well rounded experience. I'd love to see arrow loopers revived with modern technology. Seeing where they were headed towards the end with rides like Tennessee Tornado makes me wonder what they could do now. It's a pipe dream, but one can only wish

It would be nice though to see a park retrack an old arrow, or put enough money into one to have it see the future. I understand from a financial standpoint, but having a park with a great blend of Modern and classic rides provides a very well rounded experience. I'd love to see arrow loopers revived with modern technology. Seeing where they were headed towards the end with rides like Tennessee Tornado makes me wonder what they could do now. It's a pipe dream, but one can only wish

Didn't Shilke Design TT? By that logic, it could be said that RMC's are the "modern Arrow loopers" . If you want some company continuity, S&S Sansei just built Steel Curtain, which definitely falls in the category of "mega-looper." The same people stayed in the industry for the most part. Had Arrow not gone bankrupt I don't think we'd be seeing anything too different than what we're seeing today. Design can always be improved upon, and for the most part it has been. Look at Vekoma and what they're doing these days!

I was personally a fan of Vortex, but you can't deny that it had it's awkward moments, like the rapid track banking before the loops that punched you in the face, or the hairpin turn brilliantly placed before the MCBR. It was the quirkiness that made it what it was, and that can't be replicated because it's simply not practical; even the GP would think it's dumb. If you want intentional quirkiness, look at RMC. It's very different from what you see on old Arrow coasters, but it's so much more comfortable.

It's sad to see a legendary coaster like Vortex go, but we can't sit here forever and mourn it's loss. We have the technology now to make rides that are so much better! I have no doubt that the park will put something in that will more than make up for the loss. For now, let's look forward to our giga!

Speaking of Vortex, has demolition started yet? Word on the street is the park wants it gone by the beginning of Winterfest, but there was a similar rumor floating around about Firehawk last year, so who knows?

Its a running joke since its not 300 feet tall. Its like 286 but with a 300 foot drop

Not a Giga . . .

136.jpg

Can anyone explain to me what's inside an enthusiasts head?

Would a 300 ft lift hill with a 286 ft drop be a giga? And why? It's 14 ft. less of a drop than Orion. What about 325 ft lift with a 250 ft. drop? Is that a giga? What about a 350 ft lift with a drop of 60 ft, a little hill of 10 ft, another drop of 60 ft and so on? What if it's built on a cliff, has no lift, but a 350 ft drop?

Seriously people. It's a giga.

Well the TPR poll doesn't include defunct coasters, but if it did I honestly would rank Vortex a little higher than I did last year. News of its closing got me on it again and I got some better rides on it as a result, but it still wouldn't top my best 100 or even 150.

People make up their own rules and in the end none of it matters anyway because all that matters is that the ride will be awesome.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]