TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

The construction crew has a curved track piece and two supports at the bottom of the first drop with the crane in position. When I checked about an hour ago it looked like the crew was looking over everything. I'm guessing this track piece will be put into place tomorrow.

So strange I was there on the 21st of October last year and the park felt practically empty.

Of course, it was super cold, I think around 50 degrees, and we were there right in the morning until about 5pm. Got on absolutely everything (even Firehawk! RIP) with very very minimal lines. So glad Vortex opened later in the day, got my one and only ride on it. Such a shame the ride is closing, I don't remember it being that bad, and I sat in the very back seat!

I feel rides like Vortex should be recognized and renovated to keep them around as long as possible, tearing them down literally is removing history of the park, and the history of coasters. Why Cedar Fair is not doing everything they can to keep the ride around, it really is a shame.

What are the odds that they will get the next lift hill support, and the next few pieces of lift hill track installed tomorrow?!?!

[attachment=0]giga.png[/attachment]

Orion's brake run looks like the angle of Racer's lift, and Orion's lift looks like the angle of Racer's drop. Coaster evolution.

I feel rides like Vortex should be recognized and renovated to keep them around as long as possible, tearing them down literally is removing history of the park, and the history of coasters. Why Cedar Fair is not doing everything they can to keep the ride around, it really is a shame.

This sentiment is getting really annoying to me. How much of an important piece of history is Vortex in the grand scheme of pieces of history? Can't everything be classified as a piece of history? I flushed my toilet this morning after doing my business instead of keeping it around, despite it technically being an enjoyable piece of history... (special thanks to coffee)

I buy fun cars and every vehicle I've owned has given me great pleasure to drive. They have all been very important in keeping up with the day to day routine in my life. In the Midwest, they've been vital to my employment, getting necessities to live, and recreation. Every vehicle I've owned has been somewhat of a significant piece of my own history and I can separate segments of my life's timeline and memories by which vehicle I had. Almost all of them have been my own personal record breakers for speed, handling, fun, and amenities compared to my previous cars.

Many of my previous vehicles have life altering importance, such as my first ever vehicle which gave me freedom of transportation and knowledge of how to drive a manual transmission. It made it possible for me to get my first job bagging groceries. I even had one very important piece of shit Hyundai Elantra that I traded in a very nice car for, in order to pave the way to pay off all of my financial debts. I remember the first car my wife and I purchased as a unit, when we were engaged. It was her primary car and that Honda Fit 1.6 liter engine took her to work, took us to get groceries for our first apartment, hauled boxes to our first house, took wedding presents home from the reception, and transported us across the country in the dawn of our traveling hobby. Both of the aforementioned made vehicles were emotional to get rid of. Some of my vehicles even represent financial milestones, such as the first new car I ever purchased by myself, the first one I ever paid off, or the first one I ever purchased in full straight from the showroom floor. There were feelings of sadness with every vehicle I got rid of. (except for the 350z) Even the car I have now will likely take our first child from the hospital to its first home.

My point is, although being somewhat of a car guy and making so many memories traveling in our vehicles, despite their sentimental value and historical significance our lives, my wife and I didn't keep any of them around. Sometimes you just have to get rid of one of your favorite toys and move on, when it makes the most sense to do so.

They're not a museum. If you want to gift them a not-even-remotely-tax-deductible 10 million dollar donation to keep it running for a few more years then they might reconsider.

If the ride is costing them more money to maintain and operate than they believe that it's making them (which is obviously hard to quantify) then they're not going to keep it. Why would they do that?

It sucks that they're removing it but they're a business and unfortunately that's how it is. Oh, and by "it sucks that they're removing it" I mean that it would suck if the ride was good but I actually don't care at all because we're talking about Vortex at Kings Island which is an awful ride.

Edited by coasterbill

They're not a museum. If you want to gift them a not-even-remotely-tax-deductible 10 million dollar donation to keep it running for a few more years then they might reconsider.

If the ride is costing them more money to maintain and operate than they believe that it's making them (which is obviously hard to quantify) then they're not going to keep it. Why would they do that?

It sucks that they're removing it but they're a business and unfortunately that's how it is. Oh, and by "it sucks that they're removing it" I mean that it would suck if the ride was good but I actually don't care at all because we're talking about Vortex at Kings Island which is an awful ride.

My guess is if a new ride replaces that coathanger coaster the park will keep the station (historical continuity and cost reduction). Wasn't the station originally built for the original "Bat" (great idea that didn't quite work).

Last time I went to Kings Island I made a side trip to this historical site, close enough to KI it might be visible from the Orion lift hill.

https://fortancient.org

Fort Ancient State Park

now that's historical ...

Did the Skycoaster at Kings Island this weekend. It was $5. With pass discount, less than $5 after tax. First time. Loved it.

Park was busy Saturday. We had great visit. Got another couple hours in Sunday before hitting Stricker's. Enjoyed the Halloween atmosphere and the mazes. For awhile the lines everywhere were sizable. FLs were great on this day.

Do they still set stupid cheap prices for the Skycoaster in the morning and then raise them throughout the day? I feel like we rode a few years ago for like 5 bucks early in the morning and then walked by later to see that they had bumped the price way up.

This, yes it "sucks" when "classic" rides are removed. But amusement parks need to constantly evolve to grow as a business. People need to stop thinking with a narrow mind and realize that parks are only on this earth to make money for the company and or shareholders. If the land a ride sits on becomes more valuable then the ride itself it's time to remove that ride and use that land for something else. Be it a new coaster, restroom, food stand or bench. Sometimes that is better for the park financially then a ride that is old and unpopular among a large portion of the parks guests.

Eventually, maybe even 30 years from now rides like Banshee, Diamondback and Orion will be on the chopping block. It's just a matter of time. Nothing will last forever.

RE: Slingshot and Skycoaster - They do adjust pricing. It was $10 Sat morning, $5 Sun morning. Slingshot $15, $10. Seems like later in the day they removed the special pricing. Not sure if they lower it again late night.

KI is the only park I've noticed this summer that does this regularly.