TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

The removal of Vortex had me thinking about how pretty much the entire ride takes place pretty high off the ground. I would never believe it's sinking, but I would believe the stress on every single one of those supports and footers is what is ending the life cycle. Just thinking out loud.

The removal of Vortex had me thinking about how pretty much the entire ride takes place pretty high off the ground. I would never believe it's sinking, but I would believe the stress on every single one of those supports and footers is what is ending the life cycle. Just thinking out loud.

But even though the coaster is high off the ground, if the supports are sinking, I would imagine that could still cause problems.

I'm just processing as well. I could be way off.

I could have sworn I heard the KI sinking rumor began with the original Bat.

source.gif

Oh god yeah I'm really not trying to give any attention or fuel to the sinking thing. It's a GP rumor just like Magnum is sinking. It's definitely not a real thing. Please no one take that as a serious rumor

^

Changing topics for a moment, for those who went to WinterFest at KI last year, what were your thoughts? Was it a fun event? I have older kids for the most part, but could bring my 5 year old as well. Do you feel there's enough to do for a family that's normally into thrills, to justify the 4 hour plus drive? We all love Mystic Timbers, so I imagine we'll be marathoning that a ton, assuming it doesn't close if it gets too cold. It looks like a nice event, and I'm inclined to check it out this year since we have the Platinum Passes already. I also was wondering about how crowded it was, if you went last year. Thanks in advance for any info!

What can KI really put in to replace Vortex? I honestly don't see another major coaster coming anytime soon cause of Orion.

It's the ultimate spot for a Dive Coaster. Said it for years. Imagine standing on the walk where Vortex's batwing rises up right in front of you? Now replace that Image with the view of a 250ft+ Dive drop leading to a massive Immelmann loop coming right at ya! Its the perfect spot for this type of coaster.

I also think some kind of blitz coast would be sweet sitting down in that valley as you watch from above. I can't imagine they'd remove vortex only to leave that magical plot of land to sit empty.

Thats just my Friday 2 cents brought to you by screamscape, the ultimate website for getting pissed off at he most ads ever jammed into one page.

^

Changing topics for a moment, for those who went to WinterFest at KI last year, what were your thoughts? Was it a fun event? I have older kids for the most part, but could bring my 5 year old as well. Do you feel there's enough to do for a family that's normally into thrills, to justify the 4 hour plus drive? We all love Mystic Timbers, so I imagine we'll be marathoning that a ton, assuming it doesn't close if it gets too cold. It looks like a nice event, and I'm inclined to check it out this year since we have the Platinum Passes already. I also was wondering about how crowded it was, if you went last year. Thanks in advance for any info!

It's a nice event, IMO, but knowing you all I'm not sure if the 4-hour drive is worth it just to ride Timbers and the flats that are open. It wasn't too crowded but cold as FFFFFF on some of the days so I think that helped keep crowds out. There were some nice shows, the lights are pretty, the 12 Days of Christmas Train ride was nice, the skating looked fun (but it was crowded and an upcharge), and there were other things I didn't do that the kids might like (decorating cookies, for example). Timbers FL queue was changed to a single rider line, and even the regular line wasn't too long, so you can definitely marathon the sh*t out of it if that's what you want to do.

Shameless plug, but here's my 2017 Winterfest TR.

What can KI really put in to replace Vortex? I honestly don't see another major coaster coming anytime soon cause of Orion.

It's the ultimate spot for a Dive Coaster.

That would be my first guess, but things could change within a few years.

After reading this thread, I was expecting to come off Vortex needing a chiropractor. After riding it last night, I wonder if you guys have been riding the same ride. Now it was by no means smooth, but definitely not the worst ive ever ridden. I thought Cedar Point's Corkscrew was much worse. It probably snaps more than the other Arrow's ive ridden but it wasnt terribly uncomfortable.

^I think a lot of roughness is overblown nowadays. Vortex is one of the smoother Arrows out there, but theres a segment of the population that will complain about anything that isnt glass smooth. When I see complaints about some b&m's having rattles and headbanging I'm generally confused. Aside from the one particularly awkward tight turn after the loops, I find vortex to be pretty smooth and enjoyable.

I gave Vortex a spin a few years ago after not riding it for many years. Through the first half I was thinking that this ride isn't too rough. Then I hit the 2nd half and remembered why I skipped it for so many years. That was the last time I rode it. BTW, I don't ride Cork Screw either.

Jim

For the record, I had two rides on Vortex this morning; first one was front-row with the entire train to myself. The second was in the very back row with maybe 10 other people in the train. There is nothing wrong with this coaster. Yes, it's not glass smooth like a brand-new RMC, but its still less brutal than Racer is. Using the "Arrow trick" of keeping your head in front of the restraint to avoid headbanging helps.