TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I rode Vortex for first time last year and I didn’t think it was that bad for a Arrow mega looper. I’ve always found it interesting that the last inversion on Vortex was the batwing and not the double corkscrew. Honestly I think Anaconda was worse. Other those two I’ve only ridden one other Arrow mega looper and that was Shockwave in its final year if operation so 17 years ago I think.

To fix some of these early Arrows, it seems like someone would need to take some math and a hammer to the track and round out some of the more coat hanger-style transitions they're known for. Some of the old Arrow designs are really cool and it'd be interesting to see a resurgence of old layouts done in a more modern / smooth way.

That was due to the engineering at that time. Loch Ness, Vortex, Steel Phantom, Anaconda, etc. They all had that Arrow quirkiness with flow, transitions, trains and restraints. By today's standards it's all antiquated technology and engineering.

I'm an Arrow fan- I'd love for parks to keep them around as long as possible. They can't, I know. I hate to see Vortex go, it's a classic, it's a big part of KI, it's picturesque, and it's a coaster I've known about since before the coaster bug bit me (thanks, RL Stine). That said, it's time was limited, and it wasn't the most pleasant ride ever- and I'm a huge B&M Standup fan, so, do the math... It'll suck much more when Anaconda gets the axe.

I've been playing calendar twister in an attempt to get another trip out to CP in the limited time left this fall, since I've only gotten the chance to use my Platinum Pass once this season. With this news, I'm thinking about calling an audible and heading to KI instead, even though I'll be there at some point in 2020 for the new Giga.

After riding on the new-generation Vekoma trains with the vest restraints, I feel that every Arrow looper needs these desperately. I get that roughness complaints probably didn't lead to Vortex's demise, but yeah...

Count me in with the Arrow fans who will be sad to see Vortex go. I understand the decision to remove it and we all know a 30+ year old Arrow that tosses you around will never win against any contemporary, modern coaster.

The first and only times I rode Vortex was back in 87 or 88 when it was virtually new. It really is too bad there isn't some economical way for the parks to fix the flaws in these old beasts but I am sure the cost of doing that versus building something entirely new doesn't make sense.

Just booked my travel out to KI for the first time in a long time to get a last ride.

Get your rides in on these old Arrows folks. Love them or hate them, they are only going to continue to disappear and probably at a faster rate than anyone thinks.

You know, being right on the Coney midway and having that classic design feel to it, I think the station would be a nice venue to be converted into an in-park history museum. They could even leave that small fixed part of Vortex track that leads into the "shed" part in place alongside the old Bat footer right next to it. It would fit right in with how they've paid homage to past rides in the Antique Autos theming.

KI will have to open the museum in 2021 so it won't take the attention away from the opening of Orion... The kids are going to love it.

Love them or hate them, they are only going to continue to disappear and probably at a faster rate than anyone thinks.

Except for Ninja. That ffcking pile of suck will probably be there until the end of time, knowing SFSTL.

It will be interesting to see if they'll be dismantling Vortex immediately or if it will stick around until they know what to do with that spot (if they don't know already).

It would be a funny plot twist if it would stick around for some time until there's a RMC like company using the footers and supports, put new track on them and get the ride some life again.

It will be interesting to see if they'll be dismantling Vortex immediately or if it will stick around until they know what to do with that spot (if they don't know already)

Probably going to do the same with what they did with Firehawk. Once the ride closes for good no work might happen until after Winterfest closes. None the less they could end up stripping the mechanical and electrical hardware before and during Winterfest and everything but I dont know how they do it all.

That moment when KI gets rid of Vortex but KD gets rid of Volcano and not Anaconda.

Interestingly enough Screamscape actually thinks Anaconda’s removal is on its way. But he doesn’t think it will happen until Volcan is replaced.

Lets hope so. Anaconda is worse than Vortex IMO, at least Vortex is intense Anaconda is boring.

^I mean they did predict X-Flight at SFGAm by about 10 years

It would be cool if they kept some of those old arrow support towers and did an RMC iron horse layout using those. Don't know if it's actually possible, but would be cool.

I've mentioned this before, but I don't think it would be possible. Steel coaster supports tend to be more specifically designed for the track. If anything, I think a single-rail conversion would be more possible.

That's the bottom of the first drop.

Yep!! Bottom of the first drop for sure.

Don’t they build these similar to how they build dive coasters. They construct the lift hill, and the drop, then connect the two by adding the “crown” piece(s)?

Yeah, that would be the go. Now I realize how big this baby will be.. I really didn't assume that to be the bottom. Awesome. I wonder how huge it will look in the webcam once it's topped of.

Yesterday I thought that was just a couple sections of track that had been assembled and laid over there, but in better light today I realized it was the base of the drop. Probably trying to get everything they can with the small cranes into place, which won't be much more since they've got a bunch of gravel built up for the crane's "pad" over there (at least for the lift and surrounding area, not sure where they'll park it for further out sections).

I know I'm late to the party, but while I always complain about Vortex being my least favorite coaster at the park, I'm still shocked by this news. Not that I didn't think Vortex's lifespan would be coming to an end soon, I just didn't expect it quite so soon.

How much truth is there to the rumor that Vortex is sinking? If that's true, I wonder if it reached a point where the choice was no longer up to KI but rather it has sunk enough that it is no longer deemed safe according to safety standards.

While it isn't a huge loss to me, I know a lot of people who still love Vortex and will be devastated by its loss. I'll make sure to hit it up in its last days, with plenty of Ibuprofen on hand.

How much truth is there to the rumor that Vortex is sinking?

From what I can tell every Cedar Fair park has a signature 'sinking' ride. It's actually impressive how many people 'know' about Vortex. No joke, people used to talk about it at my middle school. As far as urban legends go it's pretty widespread.