TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Vortex and other mega loopers put more stress on track and trains then Loch Ness monster and a few of the smaller ones if I had to guess. Probably future plans come into play here as well.

I’m just bummed they waited until the end of the season. I’m a huge arrow megalooper fan and I’ve never been to kings island. If they announced in the spring that this would be the last season I would have put together an Ohio trip. It’s too late for me to get there now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe they did some foundation work on Vortex a few years ago. I am sure this thing has been welded glued and tapped back together so many times that all the kings horses and all the kings men cant put bumpy back together again.

I am going to try to fly out for a ride on it before its removed though all joking aside

I was definitely not expecting this at all. I never particularly liked the ride, but I know it has a place in history and many coaster fans enjoyed it. RIP.

Cedar Fair is really dishing out these ride removals pretty easily. Stinger, Boomerang, Volcano, Firehawk, and Vortex all in the last 3 years.

Definitely seems like it was a late-season decision. I get that nostalgia is a thing, but if us SFGAdv can admit that Rolling Thunder and GASM were hot garbage, then you can do the same for Vortex, too.

Which it is.

Hot garbage.

F

Those who know me know that this is very upsetting for me. I'll admit, though, I'm not really too surprised. It wasn't until recently that I started hearing about people who actually liked Vortex, and that was about when I started appreciating it as well. I certainly don't know any GP who say they even like the ride.

I'm super glad I got my last rides on it this August. DILinator was calling me crazy for riding it three times in a row but I definitely have no regrets now. The first drop, the floating corkscrews, the snappy transitions, the overall quirkiness...like people have said, they just don't make them like that anymore.

You will be missed, Vortex.

Decent ride but nothing to get hurt over since it is probably leaving for something better down the road. Since they are removing a 1987 Arrow could CP possibly take it a step further and start removing Corkscrew's from CP parks soon? (CP-1976, MiA-1979 and VF-1980).

Hopefully Racer just so I can watch the comments.

... but in all seriousness I wouldn't be shocked if they don't remove another ride for a decade. There's no telling.

They need whomever fixed Racer 75 to work their magic on every older wooden coaster in America!

Kings Island has a lot of tired old coasters, I'm happy to see the park finally making moves.

I hoped it was Vortex and not Firehawk that would be leaving last year, so I won't miss it. But then I'll also be saying something completely different when the day eventually comes that SFMM removes Viper, so I get the sentiment.

I think many of us who started becoming enthusiasts in the 90s have the big Arrow loopers like this to thank for it, so losing them can be bittersweet.

Not at all bummed to see this go. I really didn't enjoy the ride at all. My buddy pointed out they had a funeral set up again within their Haunt decorations. Same one they set up for Firehawk. We debated if it was this or Invertigo. Glad to see it was Vortex.

Also, won't be surprised if Invertigo is removed within 5 years.

I'll throw my hat in the ring now for a Mack multi-looper in 2023. I do hope they reuse the station though. That would be nice. 3 coasters that have all used the same station! But CF has a love for wide open stations and Vortex's station may just be a little too cramped for a future addition.

It is also interesting to note the timing of this removal. Assuming the ride doesn’t sit and rot, they will be removing this coaster while simultaneously constructing their largest coaster yet.

I know it’s crazy to talk about what may replace Vortex while an awesome B&M Giga is currently being built, but I would love to see it replaced with a new-generation looper a few years down the road. It would be great to see Cedar Fair work with Vekoma on a crazy new looping coaster like Lech Coaster.

I'll throw my hat in the ring now for a Mack multi-looper in 2023.

A Copperhead Strike-like coaster with airtime and a few inversions would look good there down the road.

Well that's one less iconic "clackety-clack" Arrow in existence, but I admit that my rides on Vortex were brutal. Once in a while I can find a seat that's not so bad on those old Arrows, but I had no such luck with Vortex. Some of these bigger parks have been doing a purge and/or retool of their lineups in recent years, and I don't altogether mind it. It's sad to see classic-ish coasters go, but if the goal is for riders to have fun while these coasters cost money and cause pain, I'm not against replacing them.

• Like 1