TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

My only concern with Orion is that I'm already hearing GP comparing it to Diamondback, saying the park is basically just adding another Diamondback.

I have no doubt that those comments are out there, but I'm sure they said the same with with Leviathan and that seems to easily be the crowd favorite.

JUST ANNOUNCED: Vortex will be retired at the end of the season. Get your final rides now.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2019/september/kings-island-to-retire-vortex-after-33-seasons

With this being said, whats the best time to go next month for minimal crowds? I am gonna plan a trip out there before the ride closes for good. I hate seeing another classic Arrow meet its demise.

^Wow! That kind of came out of nowhere! Interesting... Definitely opens up a HUGE plot of land for future expansion! I feel like they must have wanted to wait on its removal until they had another large coaster on the way in to "soften the blow" to those who may be frustrated at Vortex's removal. That certainly isn't me! I feel like it's been my prime target for removal for years, even more than Firehawk, so I'm not sad, per se, to see it go. However, it IS a classic coaster, and it was beautiful to look at, so in some respects, even an avowed "hater" of the ride like me will miss it somewhat.

Let the speculation begin on what will replace it, even though we have a brand new Giga that's not even built yet!

I am genuinely shocked. I was so relieved when Firehawk was revealed to be the one leaving in last year's "funeral" scene because the wording could also apply to Vortex, and then now they just announce Vortex departing a month out without anyone having had any hint it would be leaving, or at least not for a few more years at least.

I've never known KI without Vortex, it's one year older than me. One of my earliest memories from the park was watching it wind around, and the back of the park will never sound the same again without that signature Arrow chain lift.

I hope the station is kept and used for something, and whatever takes over that plot of land will be a suitable replacement.

With this being said, whats the best time to go next month for minimal crowds? I am gonna plan a trip out there before the ride closes for good. I hate seeing another classic Arrow meet its demise.

I wanted to respond to this, too, and say that while my experience is limited to Friday nights at KI Haunt, I've now gone 4 years running during this time, and I have experienced pretty manageable crowds every time I've gone. However, I've tried to go earlier, rather than later, and others have recommended that to me as well, saying it gets busier the closer you get to Halloween. So, I'd recommend getting out there the first Friday in October, if you're able to. Hopefully that helps!

To me this is an absolutely profound loss. It is my favorite coaster there and has always been part of my Kings Island experience. I too breathed a sign of relief when it was Firehawk announced last year, but I was thinking.. you know.. i need to be kind.. that was somebody's favorite ride.

With this said, I can't say I'm surprised in the least. The coaster is on the rough and violent side of things, I am always hearing complaints from riders when it pulls into the breaks, the age of course plays a factor, and I mentioned years ago to my freinds that once the park built a Giga, it was a matter of time before Vortex would be out the door, I was hoping it would last about 2 more years before a new mega looper could take its place.

Cedar Fair itself came out a new years ago and said the average lifespan of a steel coaster is about 20 years, and this has by far surpassed that.

Life is in constant change. Our bodies, the earth, the technology, our ways of thinking. It's a natural way of evolving. We are but a blip through history and time and it is our responsibility to be the best blip we can, enjoy the moments and cherish the memories. Nothing lasts forever, so let's enjoy the ride while we're on it.

Well that is certainly a surprise... there are so many older Arrows out there just plugging along and Vortex is pretty iconic. It is certainly one of, if not the best megalooper they created, and compared to the rest one of the least uncomfortable in my opinion.

I will miss this beautiful coaster, and it's great first drop. I can't really say I'm excited to see what's next, as looping coasters aren't typically one of my favorite types of ride, and this one holds a lot of sentimental value for all the reasons I've mentioned. I was probably going to make it to KI for haunt anyway, but now it's guaranteed.

This ride is awful. Good riddance.

The timing is very weird though, I almost wonder if it was a last minute decision to remove it this offseason based on maintenance needs or something. I personally don’t expect them to replace it for awhile so I doubt that it’s being removed because they need the spot for immediate expansion.

Edited by coasterbill

I'm one of the few that is sad to hear the news. I have fond memories of riding Vortex. I wish I could make it out for a final ride.

It is exciting to see what will be coming. I'll speculate either a B&M Dive, or an RMC Raptor. Perhaps for 2022.

I can see the sentimental attraction for those who grew up with the thing, but no real loss here personally. It was a matter of time. Rode it once every few visits and that was enough for me. It will be a far more exciting plot of land with something better utilizing the space within a few years.

I’ve skipped this the last few years I’ve been going. I love Tennessee Tornado. I would’ve likely given it a go a few weeks back if I knew it was going away. I’ve always thought about how rides are designed now vs back then. it’s a little hard to articulate, but they don’t make rides like this. So clearly centered around the inversions. It was certainly a good looking coaster.

I do wonder 20 years from now what kind of lineup all these big parks will have. Once SLC’s, Boomerangs, Vekoma Flying Coasters, Stand-Up Coasters, Volares, etc. what is there going to be? For Kings Island, 20 years from now, I’d expect Invertigo, Flight of Fear, Backlot Stunt Coaster, The Bat, and Adventure Express (maybe) to be gone. What do you replace them with? Can’t all be flagship type rides.

I know most of these rides kinda suck. But it’s just something I think about time and again.

Edited by Taylor Finn

I'll be the first to admit, vortex is actually my favorite roller coaster. As a kid I grew up with Great Adventure's Great American Scream Machine. I was crushed when it closed. Arrow coasters never hurt me and are actually my favorite roller coasters, so for the past decade Vortex has filled the void in my heart. I thought losing volcano this past year was hard, but this downright tears me apart, there will never be another like it.

This ride is awful. Good riddance.

The timing is very weird though, I almost wonder if it was a last minute decision to remove it this offseason based on maintenance needs or something. I personally don’t expect them to replace it for awhile so I doubt that it’s being removed because they need the spot for immediate expansion.

for the past decade Vortex has filled the void in my heart. I thought losing volcano this past year was hard, but this downright tears me apart, there will never be another like it.

Anaconda? Viper? Rolling down hill in a shopping cart and getting hit by an Escalade?

for the past decade Vortex has filled the void in my heart. I thought losing volcano this past year was hard, but this downright tears me apart, there will never be another like it.

Anaconda? Viper? Rolling down hill in a shopping cart and getting hit by an Escalade?

Yeah, that's pretty much the Vortex experience in a nutshell, right there!

Damn. I would trade Carowinds' Vortex for KI's any day. I love Arrow loopers and Corkscrew at CP is probably the only one I've ridden that I'd never ride again. Glad I got to ride Vortex a few times. I wish there was an easier process for rehabbing old steel coasters. Can't all be Schwarzkopf, I guess. :shrugs:

I'll miss it because I grew up with it. Of course this is one of two seasons in my life that I didn't go to KI

I'll get over it because to be honest I have skipped it on a handful of visits because yeah it's a jerky old Arrow.

The park will definitely experience some love/hate from Cincinnati but in the end people will realize it's 30 some years old and they will do justice when they replace it. Obviously it will take some time due to Orion (easy way to make you forget about an old Arrow!).

RIP to that very decent first drop, which for a long time was the only good source of airtime on a coaster at Kings Island until Diamondback showed up

Why is it though that the Loch Ness Monster is still doing so well? if a steel coaster has an average service life of 20 years and it's been open 41 years, it's interesting.

Loch Ness Monster is good.

People act like coasters have finite service lives but 99% of the time removing a coaster because it’s “at the end of it’s service life” is just code for the park not wanting to spend a ton of money on maintenance for a ride that’s not popular enough to make doing so a sensible financial decision.

just woke up to the news and im still like WTF. I honestly dont think its that bad of a ride but i understand why its being removed. I remember working the ride in '16 and checking restraints gave me some good blisters on my hands haha. Im sure gonna miss it. Crazy to think in 3 years the skyline has changed with two coasters gone and one replacement. Wonder if with the removal we will see a new coaster in 2021 or 2022.