TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I think B&M's all have good to great forces, and Banshee absolutley is snappy and intense! Ya'll crazy! Lol If anything, the early B&M Inverts and Stand-Up weren't engineered as well as the newer models, which is why they have stronger, and not as pleasant to the average person forces. The newest B&Ms I've ridden have shown me a maturity in design, that they deliver strong forces, without being too intense for the average rider, which is who parks are installing coasters for, remember.

^^^ To be honest I think B&M had better rides in the earlier years. Look at Afterburn, Alpengeist, Raptor, Apollo's Chariot, etc. Those are all superior to me than some of the newer rides. Carowinds is my home park and Fury is the exception for sure. It is a fantastic ride minus the long drawn out part near the MCBR. I haven't ridden Banshee but it looks fun. Hoping to get to Kings Island soon.

Classification: Giga

Height of Hills: 287 feet

So am I correct in assuming we have collectively broadened the definition of a "giga?"

A giga roller coaster is a complete circuit roller coaster that is built for height, speed, and airtime. These coasters are between 300 and 399 feet (91.4 and 121.6 meters) in height.

Termed a "giga-coaster" for its extreme height, Millennium Force will be the first and only roller coaster in the world to break the 300-foot-tall barrier.

^It's basically the same for hypers who do not have a 200 foot or higher lift, but have at least one drop of 200 or more; Apollo's Chariot for example. Orion has a 300' drop...so it's a giga. Either way, if we are talking about models, they are still a hyper model according to B&M, regardless of what we call them.

Phantom's Revenge is a hyper due to the 2nd drop that uses the terrain. No one ever second guesses that, but it's not a B&M so no one cares enough to criticize it. Then again, maybe it was just constructed before people cared about stupid bullshit like roller coaster classification differences between 13 feet.

https://rcdb.com/123.htm

Length 3,200.0 ft

Height 160.0 ft

Drop 228.0 ft

Speed 85.0 mph

Inversions 0

Duration 1:57

Elements Chain Lift Hill

I'm glad the ride height is only 287 feet tall just to give people something pointless to cry about.

I am in the camp that thinks that adding 13 more feet would have been advantageous for the park. Oh well, i'm sure it will be a hit for the park no matter what.

But would it have been advantageous for the chain? Remember that Cedar Fair isn't trying to make KI a destination park; it's doing just fine by drawing in locals. Remember, there's a 310 foot tall coaster 4 hours north...

^^Exactly, KI has a HUGE pass base that comes out in big numbers for new coasters. Look at the crowds it drew for Banshee, Diamondback and Mystic Timbers. Two of which didn't break any records. Lose the mentality that coasters are built for enthusiasts and you'll understand more of the business decisions parks make. Why 300' is just as marketable to locals as 310 or 330'. Would making this ride 326ft tall really effect the experience all that much? Enthusiasts are the only ones complaining (and not all of us) that this ride isn't setting records. I'm sure this ride is helping season pass growth and that's all the park cares about right now until it opens.

Personally I'm stoked that this ride seems to be designed to be nonstop action from drop to brakes with some low to the ground elements. I think this has potential to be the most flat out FUN ride in Ohio. There I said it! lol

I think B&M's all have good to great forces, and Banshee absolutley is snappy and intense! Ya'll crazy! Lol If anything, the early B&M Inverts and Stand-Up weren't engineered as well as the newer models, which is why they have stronger, and not as pleasant to the average person forces. The newest B&Ms I've ridden have shown me a maturity in design, that they deliver strong forces, without being too intense for the average rider, which is who parks are installing coasters for, remember.

Aside from the initial whip on the first drop, maybe, Banshee is farrrrrr from snappy. It's like the anti-snap.

It's still intense, but intense =/= snappy.

I think that over time it would have been better to actually make a statement with a larger coaster. That is just my opinion. I definitely am not complaining as I have never been to this park nor do I have plans to visit anytime soon. If this had been a bigger more intense layout I sure would have made my first visit. I think a lot of other would have done the same. Just look what Fury did for Carowinds in terms of media coverage, attendance, and respect amongst enthusiasts and GP.

In the case of Cedar Fair not wanting the park to be a destination park I disagree because I don't think they would be disappointed with new customers coming in from other areas. I think they would love that. I do see your point where they didn't go the extra mile because that is not their main goal. My issue is that I think they could have really gone the extra mile and made this a standout coaster. They already have Diamondback and I think it would have been a smart move to really set a new standard at the park.

Like I said I have never been to this park so maybe they don't need a 300 ft coaster and a 287 foot coaster will suffice.

Ultimately I think it will be a good addition to the park. I just think that making this a show stopping coaster, like they did with Fury would have been good for them, the chain, and coaster riders in general. I don't think it would have broken the bank to do so and I believe that it would have gotten them a bigger return on investment. I'm looking forward to hearing what people say about it. Maybe it will be better than I am assuming.

(...) If this had been a bigger more intense layout I sure would have made my first visit. I think a lot of other would have done the same. (...)

Like I said I have never been to this park so maybe they don't need a 300 ft coaster and a 287 foot coaster will suffice.

(...)

I understand your point.. But you DO know, that Orion will be the same length as Fury until the MCBR, and that after the MCBR there's not much track that adds to the ride experience?

And truly NOBODY out of the GP, which is over 99% of the total attendance of any amusement park, cares how many inches short of 300 feet a coaster is? I would assume that 90% of all riders don*t even care (or know) how high the lift hill is.

So no, it really doesn't matter for CF, KI or anyone besides some (!) enthusiasts if there are 13 feet more difference between station terrain and the top of the lift hill then there will be now. People will come to the park because of Orion. And those enthusiasts who care will come and ride it, too. 300 feet or not.

^^ I disagree that the portion after the MCBR doesn't add to the ride experience. You get a decent helix, an awesome head chopper moment, and 2 more airtime moments.

As for the 13 foot part of the debate...I was just using that as a frame of reference. I expected this coaster to be at least 300ft, but thought, in the beginning, it would be even taller. With all that said, a good portion of those who go to Kings Island probably also go to Cedar Point. A 287ft coaster isn't really something that awe inspiring when you have a park in the same state with 2 other coasters topping that. If they had beaten Millenium Force's height I would feel different. I think that a lot of people would love to see at least a 300 ft coaster and 287 ft to me just isn't cutting it when you have Diamondback in the same park. Not to mention adding height would also make Orion faster...which I think it should be as well.

I think there are actually quite a lot more "enthusiasts" out there than people think. Just look at the view counts on youtube of people watching reviews, speculation, and vlog videos. On top of that look at comments, social media feeds, and how things have changed. Since social media has taken over, the enthusiast base has grown significantly. I don't think they are as hard core as some of us but there are a lot more people interested in parks and coaster than ever before.

^ For real. No one is gonna be able tell the difference between 300ft and 287ft just looking at it. The sheer size of this ride will be awe inspiring to look at in person. For example, Valravn is a smaller ride in terms of height, but I couldn't get over just how big and imposing that ride looked from the humongous track and steep lift. To me, that's one of the things B&M does best. They build the huge, beautiful imposing rides that you could sit and watch all day long.

I think there are actually quite a lot more "enthusiasts" out there than people think.

No. There aren't. Even then, the financial relevance is the overwhelming percentage of the general public to enthusiasts. Enthusiasts aren't the bread and butter.

Also, Pro tip: Visit a park before having such a strong opinion about their brand new extremely expensive roller coaster. Diamondback vs. Orion: You're comparing one coaster you've never ridden to another coaster that hasn't been constructed.

There are a lot of enthusiasts in the sense they'll travel a bit to ride a gigacoaster in a good park. Not so many that will make a trip specifically because the new coaster beats a sort-of record by 1 foot or so.

I think classifying a coaster due to the drop height is less a cheat than claiming a height when the whole coaster is elevated. E.g. Big Apple isn't really a hyper. But still Magnum is hyper despite the drop being less than 200 feet, partially because they still pushed themselves.

Fury isn't nonstop because there's the MCBR itself. The last hills are good but still feel a little tacked on.

I think there are actually quite a lot more "enthusiasts" out there than people think.

No. There aren't. Even then, the financial relevance is the overwhelming percentage of the general public to enthusiasts. Enthusiasts aren't the bread and butter.

Also, Pro tip: Visit a park before having such a strong opinion about their brand new extremely expensive roller coaster. Diamondback vs. Orion: You're comparing one coaster you've never ridden to another coaster that hasn't been constructed.

Thanks for the PRO tip!

Steel Vengeance was built for enthusiasts and every enthusiast in the whole world went to Cedar Point last year to ride it. Yet 2018 still ended up being one of the lowest-attended years in the history of Cedar Point. Kings Island even had a higher 2018 attendance after adding nothing significant. Coaster enthusiasts make up a very insignificant minority. If they were the majority, Cedar Point would have had a record-breaking year. Instead, it was the complete opposite.