TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I'm sure Robb would really appreciate you throwing using his name to continuously bitch about new attractions that are an absolute hit with your average park goer.

Nope. And he's been banned because of it.

The Madmax was strong with that dude.

This is my favorite post of the day.

This is what it says on why he was banned when he logs back into the forum:

"Banned for being an asshole. Let me make it clear... You are NOT being banned for "having an opinion", you are being banned for being an asshole."

Is that your new favorite post of the day?

Orion looks like it will be a lot of fun to me! Looking forward to trying it next year. I will never understand the complaining of adding another Giga to the coaster universe without actually riding it yet.

In other news, Flume rides everywhere were very disappointed to hear this.

...I'm still convinced that the sun rises and sets with Millennium F*cking Force...

The brake runs are high like this because they are very efficient, which is a huge factor for the park. In fact, I wouldn't at all be surprised if they're the ones who asked for this design again. Starting the brake run high means you'll have less kinetic energy entering the brakes, and having a flat section first means the brakes won't be working against gravity to slow the train initially. And then of course, the inclined transfer section eliminates the need for drive wheels which are a considerable running cost.

Fury 325's brake run is lower but it also has an extra 1300 feet of track to dissipate speed. This thing would come blazing into the brake run if it wasn't elevated.

When you are going to be operating hundreds of cycles every day, using gravity (which is free, btw) instead of extreme braking force and electricity is extremely attractive to a park.

Less cost to run also means higher ROI, just the same as how someone possibly did the market research and saw that Fury 325 was too intense and wanted to increase the appeal of this ride by turning down the intensity. It's all about money.

Good lord, I'm glad this thing actually has a 300ft drop so we don't have to have THAT discussion.

In addition, starting the brake run up high when the train is moving more slowly causes less stress to be put onto the train. The point of the brake run that puts the most stress on a train the start, since the front of the train is being slowed while the rest of the train is still barrelling ahead. Any additional stress on the vehicle can increase maintenance costs, due to more frequent repairs, or just more frequent inspections being required.

As for the ride itself, I don't love the layout and would change a few things if I was to design it, but I'm sure it will be a heck of a ride regardless. I will have to make a trip out to KI next year once it opens.

"Banned for being an asshole. Let me make it clear... You are NOT being banned for "having an opinion", you are being banned for being an asshole."

It's my favorite.

And here I was thinking the giga coaster announcement was going to be the best part of the day!

My final predictions before the ride is announced.

Name: Doesn't matter; people will b!tch.

Height: Doesn't matter; people will b!tch.

Speed: Doesn't matter; people will b!tch.

Length: Doesn't matter; people will b!tch.

Ride Time: Doesn't matter; people will b!tch.

G-Forces: Doesn't matter; people will b!tch.

Color scheme: Doesn't matter; people will b!tch.

Number of bolts used in the construction: Doesn't matter; people will b!tch.

About a million other useless statistics: Doesn't matter; people will b!tch.

I'm gonna ressurect this post because literally any and every year a new major ride is announced, even if the roller coaster was crafted by the hands of God himself, people will still find something to complain about. You can't please everyone. Steel Vengeance announced? People complained. Fury 325 announced? People complained.

300 foot tall first drop, 91mph, a mile of steel track, "the single largest investment KI has ever made since opening the park", and it's still not enough...? Please consider another hobby.

Was there much complaining with Steel Vengeance? Maybe the name. I remember that announcement being pretty well-received. It was a coaster designed for enthusiasts after all.

And as with every announcement, I feel like there are more people complaining about the complainers than there are complainers in the first place. There are literally two people who haven’t said “Looks great! So excited!” And then two dozen people complaining about their ungratefulness. Oh, well. Looks great! So excited!

^^ maybe not as much complaining, but certainly more debate beforehand. Mainly whether it was going to open 2017 or 2018, the height, speed, drop angle, if it was going to be a launch, etc. You know, really cool stuff that only the coolest of the cool can understand.

I am very excited about this ride.

1. I love the color scheme. It will be an imposing structure, but not an eye sore.

2. I love the wave turn.

3. Love that it will have a 300 foot drop and a 200 foot drop in one ride.

This ride will definitely make me travel back Ohio to check this out and visit the Mecca, Cedar Point.

Of course it's gunna be awesome.

I think some are just a tad let down because we know what Fury is like, and it's so glorious, while this looks like a more "standard" but bigger B&M so I think many are just assuming it will be less furious than Fury, more of a mild big ride. Also enthusiasts same to hate floater air and demand only ejector, so I think some are let down by the big, drawn out hills. Personally I love floater. Long as its solid, and sustained. Great feeling, and Goliath honest to god rivals Twisted Cyclone for me because it just has so many loooong floater hills.

That's the make or break for the ride for me. If the hills are mild, the ride will be kind of meh, if they are strong sustained floater hills (with a speed hill thrown in there) it's gunna be epic as hell. And I love sense of speed. This thing will be fast, but its not gunna have the feel of speed that Fury or MForce have. BUT THATS OK BC YA KNOW NOT EVERY RIDE CAN BE THE SAME, PERFECT AND TAILORED FOR ME lol

OH also B&M attempt at a wave turn? Helix in the middle? They are taking stabs at branching out, I'll give it that

All I know is KI was probably not on my 2020 list...and now it 100% is!

I am very excited about this ride.

1. I love the color scheme. It will be an imposing structure, but not an eye sore.

2. I love the wave turn.

3. Love that it will have a 300 foot drop and a 200 foot drop in one ride.

This ride will definitely make me travel back Ohio to check this out and visit the Mecca, Cedar Point.

And since Diamondback was such a let down for me, I can finally get my B&M hyper at KI!!

Yeah, with Hershey opening its new ride, Steel Curtain I'm missing this year and Maxxforce I am already planning an epic 2020 Norther Trip...Hershey to Chicago, with CP in the middle

I haven't been to Kings Island in a few years, but this and Mystic Timbers have me itching for a return trip. I think this ride looks better than Leviathan and probably better than Millennium.

When I last visit Kings Island, my main issue was that they lacked a stand out attraction. The park had a lot of good coasters but no great coasters. I thought Diamondback was the closest. A night ride on Mystic Timbers, I thought, could change that. This looks even better.

The term "cookie cutter" is used as an insult it seems...but if the cutter is being used to make choc chip cookies...then I am fine with it!

The guy who started the misery complained on the Wonderland thread that "Yukon Striker" was cookie cutter!? World's Tallest dive coaster with a vertical loop that drops into a lake through another coaster = cookie cutter. Right!

Anyway...Orion looks great (I love Leviathan so I know how good a B and M Giga can be). We look forward to getting out to Kings Island in the near future (might tie it in with "The flying pig!").

Will look forward to construction updates and hope the Kings Island parkgoers enjoy a great ride.

My final predictions before the ride is announced.

Name: Doesn't matter; people will b!tch.

Height: Doesn't matter; people will b!tch.

Speed: Doesn't matter; people will b!tch.

Length: Doesn't matter; people will b!tch.

Ride Time: Doesn't matter; people will b!tch.

G-Forces: Doesn't matter; people will b!tch.

Color scheme: Doesn't matter; people will b!tch.

Number of bolts used in the construction: Doesn't matter; people will b!tch.

About a million other useless statistics: Doesn't matter; people will b!tch.

Sorry to quote my own post here, but now that the ride has been officially announced, above all I think that it will be fun. It's a great addition to the park and one that most parks could only dream of. I've been wanting to get out to Kings Island for a while now, and while that may yet be a few years away, I am very excited to have another world-class coaster being built. Congratulations to Kings Island on your announcement!

Lol the negative people are hilarious. Oh what I would give to have a coaster like this in my backyard. (within 3 hours driving) A similar example is currently happening with my home park (SDC obviously if you seen my username) with people complaining on their social media pages that the new river rapids ride is either unoriginal or too intense and scary or they are complaining about how the height requirement went from 36" to 40". *eyeroll*

Edited by sdcfan88

Was there much complaining with Steel Vengeance? Maybe the name. I remember that announcement being pretty well-received. It was a coaster designed for enthusiasts after all.

And as with every announcement, I feel like there are more people complaining about the complainers than there are complainers in the first place. There are literally two people who haven’t said “Looks great! So excited!” And then two dozen people complaining about their ungratefulness. Oh, well. Looks great! So excited!

There are readers over on some of the Six Flags discussion pages resisting the strong urge to throw things right about now....

All i have to say to all the complaining folks is that if the Kings Island crowd ain't happy with it, they can send that bad boy down here to Dollywood. It would fit in real nice with our current line up. No wait, that big wave turn after the first drop goes to the left just like the one on Lightning Rod, and the color scheme is way to similar to that of Wild Eagle. I mean it don't go backwards at all like Firechaser does. Nevermind, they can just keep it!

Thanks to anybody who actually read this epic tome, and if you did, hopefully you found it interesting, and thought provoking!

Absolutely! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Your passion and enthusiasm is super uplifting and appreciated. I don’t think anything you had to say was too “out-there”, and hopefully, to the benefit of all of us, you’re right about some of your guesses!

Intelligent speculation is always fun when it comes to coaster announcements. But regardless of the specific details Kings Island unveils tonight, I hope we can all agree that this is going to be a world-class coaster!

Thanks for your kind words, and thanks for reading it, and letting me know my hour and a half spent writing it was not in vain! I just love coasters, and amusement parks, and everything surrounding them, so it's fun for me to spend time thinking about them and coming up with imaginative ideas! Been doing it ever since I went to CP as a 4 year, old, and don't plan on stopping anytime soon, just because some people don't care for it! Virtually none of my predictions/suggestions came to be (at least not that we know of, or not yet), but that's no big deal to me, and Orion definitely is a world class coaster, and fits my definition of having FUN, above all else, on a coaster!

I swear I heard the crowd chanting "Kiga." I hate my life.

Yikes! If other people enjoying this announcement and expressing themselves in a fun and humorous way makes you feel that way about your life...

I went with RAWKIN and DIL to the announcement and we had a blast! People here are hyped; this is going to be a good ride! The park was nice and dead today, too, so we got on quite a few rides. Guys this forum is a cool place.

Anyway, someone pointed out a backward blue racer train from the animation on their insta story. Could it be true...?

It was great meeting you, and I hope we can hang out at a park again sometime! The day really was a blast, and the deadness of the park was unexpected, but amazing! Also, I'd love to see blue racer backwards again! When I rode it backwards back in the early 2000's, it was a blast, and one of my favorite coasters in the park! It's definitely not that anymore, so turning it backwards couldn't hurt!

This hobby has to remain FUN and positive. I can't tell you how much more I've enjoyed our trips and park visits since I stopped counting 'credits' and stopped riding crap! I wish that I could convince all of the enthusiasts to do the same and it would really improve your park time!

Oh - And you all should have known that Cedar Point wouldn't actually let Kings Island get anything that would outshine them!

I agree completely about the importance of FUN in this hobby, and that's what I'm always looking for when I go to a park, typically with my growing kids. I also no longer ride crap, or just credit whore for coasters I'm not interested in, and my coaster counting is somewhat casual, as I have three lists, all with different numbers, and different things counted as coasters, and not counted as coasters, and I don't actually know how many I've ridden, nor do I care. It definitely leads to an improvement in overall experience, at least in my opinion.

And yes, I think you've hit the nail on the head with your last comment there!

I think it’s crazy to suggest that I'M TOO MUCH OF AN IDIOT TO SPELL STEEL VENGEANCE hasn’t helped their bottom line. It’s a huge draw and pulls 2 hour lines all day. It’s known worldwide as the best coaster.

There is no denying that swaths of people worldwide consider Steel Vengeance to be the #1 roller coaster in the world. However, Cedar Point received a larger percentage gain in attendance in 2016, the year that Valravn opened, than they did in 2018, when Steel Vengeance opened (2.8% in 2016 vs 2.0% in 2018, according to the TEA Theme Index). I don't think it's too far off for casual park-goers to think that A) Steel Vengeance is a little TOO crazy and B) it's in essence the new and improved version of Mean Streak, which some older people may "have ridden before".

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm NOT suggesting that Cedar Point shouldn't have built Steel Vengeance at all.

I think some of us underestimate the appeal of a roller coaster that LOOKS imposing, and monstrous, and scary, to the general public. People dare their friends to ride the biggest and baddest coaster in the park. It's the stuff that casual YouTube viewers look for reactions to. If a scary-looking coaster that happens to be smooth and re-rideable is what the park wants, then that's what the park gets. They certainly know how to run their park better than most of us do.

Let me say from personal experience, as somebody who rarely ever goes to parks with enthusiasts (well, other than my own kids!), this is spot-on, what I've experienced! I went a bunch the year Valravn came out with non-enthusiasts, and then again last year with SV. It honestly doesn't surprise me, based on what I heard from the people I went with, as well as the other people around the park, and near the new coasters, that Valravn's year brought in more people than SV. There's just something about imposing B&M Dive Coasters the GP eat up, and this new Giga is no different! At the announcement last night, I was surrounded by soccer moms and dads, and their kids, and when the animation started playing and the kids saw it, they went nuts, and their parents were excited too. As much as I think SV is the best coaster out there, I totally understand it being a bit much for your average park-goer, and them preferring something like Valravn, or Orion.

DIL mentioned in his prediction post about tunnels and theming and the like. We who went to the announcement were all a little surprised that Orion doesn’t appear to have that much theming. From a marketing standpoint, I think the ride itself is a big enough draw compared to a ride like Mystic, so I get why there isn’t more theming. I also get why KI might not spend the extra money to spice up Area 72 this year after spending so much on this beast of a coaster. But looking to the future, how likely do you think it is that they’ll add a tunnel like on Leviathan and some more theming in Area 72? I’m already impressed with how well Orion’s theme matches FoF, and I think the park could do a ton with the area. I personally would love to see a tunnel but looking from a practical standpoint I’m not sure how much of a draw it would have.

Personally, I think we will see some other "themeing" elements over time, and that could certainly include tunnels, and possibly a few other surprise touches they wanted to save for people's first actual experience on the coaster. There is going to be a brief "show building" the queue goes through, so that's something, and it wouldn't surprise me if there are other minor things that will complement the coaster that didn't need to be mentioned at the announcement.

In all honesty Robb, you were incredibly patient, and tolerant of him, for quite a while now! Every time I saw him post something else, I was a little surprised he hadn't been banned yet! So nobody can say he wasn't given a fair shake. I hate to ever see anybody get banned, but I will NOT be sad to see that pervasive negativity go, so sometimes you've gotta do what you've gotta do, for the betterment of the forum. And yes, that was my favorite post of the day!

I agree with you here. I've actually been surprised by how few negative Nelly's there have been in here since the announcement, but that's great! I think the complaining about the complainers after a major announcement has almost become a more cliche and predictable epidemic than the complaining, at least in these parts! But now we're starting a new trend... Complaining about the complainers about the complaining!

Regarding a couple of other topics people have brought up:

I don't understand anybody saying KI doesn't have a standout attraction currently! For me, it's hard to decide which of their 3 standout coasters is my favorite, they're all so awesome! I'll never understand the minimizing of Banshee's intensity, because as I can attest to from my visit just the other day, it's definitely intense, and fun, with a great and unique layout. That's why I prefer it to the more notoriously intense Raptor and Batman clones, and will take it over any of them every day, and twice on Sunday! Mystic Timbers was absolutely hauling the other day, and dishing out airtime like there's no tomorrow! And while Diamondback pulled a no-show for its soon to be big brother's big day, I love that Hyper, and have had some of the more sustained out of my seat airtime on that coaster that I've ever had! So adding a Giga to this standout collection is almost unfair, and just keeps KI firmly planted as my #2 favorite park!

Along those lines, anybody complaining or even slightly disappointed about this coaster, should absolutely take a look to the West, as I'm sure anybody in the Western half of the country would absolutely love to have this coaster near them! Those of us in the Midwest/East are truly spoiled, when it comes to having insanely epic coasters all around us! Again, circling back to what Elissa and I mentioned above, it's all about having FUN, and that's what we should all be focusing on in regards to Orion, and this hobby in general!

Yikes! If other people enjoying this announcement and expressing themselves in a fun and humorous way makes you feel that way about your life...

'Twas just a joke to express my dislike of the term, that's all. I don't actually hate my life because of people using it.

'Twas just a joke to express my dislike of the term, that's all. I don't actually hate my life because of people using it.

Good to know!

But I still love KIGA, and plan on getting a shirt made to wear next year to KI just to annoy people who can't enjoy a little fun with the humorous nickname!

I think the lack of negativity in here is a result of the people swinging the ban hammer having enough of peoples shit and giving them the boot. If they were going to be an asshat about this, they were likely already an asshat about something else previously and got tossed off the cliff.

In corners of the internet where the powers that be feel that member count/views is more important than oxygen, negativity over Orion abounds.