TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

My instinct is to just mock these people but if I'm being totally honest I actually almost feel bad for them. It must suck.

Look on the bright side... I still feel like the TPR forum is far less toxic than any other roller coaster nerd forum, subreddit, or Facebook Group I've seen. We at least have mostly constructive discussions here since I've tried my hardest to remove the obvious trolls and horrible people.

And sure, some people may argue that we are just trying to silence certain opinions (they aren't wrong) but I personally feel there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between someone who makes constructive arguments and someone who is just being a toxic asshole for the sake of trolling.

I don't think we've ever banned anyone from the forum for having a constructive opinion...

I think it’s crazy to suggest that I'M TOO MUCH OF AN IDIOT TO SPELL STEEL VENGEANCE

I love this forum

edit: Also, I'm not sure I've said it but this ride looks AWESOME and shout out to whoever said this ride wouldn't get them to Kings Island because as far as I'm concerned this is the ride that is definitely going to get me to finally go to this park. Can't wait.

Edited by boldikus

^^ Oh, I totally agree with all of that. Normally I'd be piling on those people too but for some reason I woke up feeling nice today.

And yeah, this is easily the least-toxic coaster forum I've seen. Sure you have to piss some people off to accomplish that but I mean, it's a privately owned website not a democracy.

I’m really looking forward to Orion! I’d much rather have a shorter ride that is relentless from start to finish than a ride that gets noticeably slower at the end. And it looks like this is exactly what Orion is! I love Fury, but I think it would be better without the helix. Looks like there are some really good airtime moments too and the turnaround looks like it could be a very forceful element. So yeah I’m psyched for this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've reached a point where I am happy when a park is building "A" coaster period. I just like when they improve their overall value by adding a new attraction period. I must admit being somebody with no kids when the addition is entirely kid-friendly I am very...……..unexcited but I see the big picture and I see it as good for the park. The details like height, speed, etc. aren't crazy relevant I just like when parks build fun rides.

Orion looks absolutely awesome. If Kings Island was my home park I would be absolutely thrilled. I like that it has the big wave turn and some clear elements that distinguish it from the other B&M Gigas. Kings Island was already very appealing as is and now I REALLY want to go there.

Dont get me wrong, this looks like itll be a great ride, id ride it, itll be fun and id love to have it at my home park. The only part I was agreeing with was that a lot of B&M's seem to be very similar. That said, their cookie cutter is amazing compared to Vekoma's or Arrow's terrible cookie cutter. Wegman's (B&M) vs. Walmart (Vekoma) if you will.

I don’t think it’s showing “hate” to point out that this is a downgrade in every way from the other older B&M Gigas. Fury showed that they can do massive steeper drops and the ride doesn’t have to end 100’ up with a mile long brake run.

What do you mean? Can you seriously not see that Fury 325's brake run is even longer than this? It also comes in with less speed. They probably could've crammed in another hill on Fury 325 and kept the same brake run design by ridding the flat transfer section immediately after the incline, but I don't see any space on Orion where they could've done the same. It's incline then immediately turn into station here.

The brake runs are high like this because they are very efficient, which is a huge factor for the park. In fact, I wouldn't at all be surprised if they're the ones who asked for this design again. Starting the brake run high means you'll have less kinetic energy entering the brakes, and having a flat section first means the brakes won't be working against gravity to slow the train initially. And then of course, the inclined transfer section eliminates the need for drive wheels which are a considerable running cost.

Fury 325's brake run is lower but it also has an extra 1300 feet of track to dissipate speed. This thing would come blazing into the brake run if it wasn't elevated.

When you are going to be operating hundreds of cycles every day, using gravity (which is free, btw) instead of extreme braking force and electricity is extremely attractive to a park.

Less cost to run also means higher ROI, just the same as how someone possibly did the market research and saw that Fury 325 was too intense and wanted to increase the appeal of this ride by turning down the intensity. It's all about money.

Good lord, I'm glad this thing actually has a 300ft drop so we don't have to have THAT discussion.

I am fully supporting another Giga in my home state! The layout look great. Kings Island is already a great park and Orion only helps to improve the park. It should be a big hit with the public and will make me visit next summer.

I have looked at the ride again and it will be a fun ride. The discussion about hyper and or giga is whatever to me now. KI Fans you have a brand new thrill coaster that will be a lot of fun. To answer the point of Fury with the long brake run, I feel part of the reason in most cases is obviously slow it down but to allow it to keep moving so the trains will not stack. Obviously based off current operations it still stacks but thats another topic.

Oh - And you all should have known that Cedar Point wouldn't actually let Kings Island get anything that would outshine them!

Except with Banshee

In all seriousness. This looks amazing and I can't wait to ride. Cedar Fair has done an amazing job with Kings Island.

Except with Banshee

Banshee wishes it could be as awesome as Raptor!

(I like Banshee, but no contest for me!)

This giga looks like great fun. I don't love the ending, but the rest of it looks awesome. Not a big fan of Diamondback, so i'm excited to have this at the park to pair up with Banshee, Mystic Timbers and Beast. Quite a collection they have now compared to pre-CF days!

Oh - And you all should have known that Cedar Point wouldn't actually let Kings Island get anything that would outshine them!

Except with Banshee

Do you feel better now? Did that help your insecurities by proving her wrong? Did it? Good...

Just wanted to give an update on the site.

For those who didnt get to watch the stream or had difficulty watching the park's live stream (yes i know it was bad, I had people commenting on mine that my stream was better) check it out here: [youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Onto the pictures!

IMG_1335.thumb.JPG.92f3b972232d2e236d115bf542b728ab.JPG

Crane is on site. Actually the larger part rolled right in as I was over taking pictures(:

IMG_1338.thumb.JPG.70ccebe4ba3fba43492a17efa1ff6b0c.JPG

Transfer area and exit out of the Main brake is done.

IMG_1341.thumb.JPG.751b22180d9b47f3958629849a69ea78.JPG

A look over at the location of the final turn into the path of the main brake as well as a close spot of the drop.

IMG_1345.thumb.JPG.d2a52c2e61ea7c917f2981123723295a.JPG

The lone footer trying to hide.

IMG_1346.thumb.JPG.99701754323448d7ffaf3abe299c6d42.JPG

Work continues on the concrete pouring down near Racer

IMG_1348.thumb.JPG.98b7e446bea81f9c9a6bfa189704219c.JPG

SkyHigh Coasters will be in charge of I believe erecting the steel. Don't quote me on that though.

IMG_1351.thumb.JPG.e63e31a4c628e632b99d23b994f22425.JPG

Firehawk trains just sitting around

IMG_1357.thumb.JPG.054d5f37a0591ebeeff3a12b94d8f1c8.JPG

Heavy machinery and or track looks to be moved soon as they have concrete barriers down near Banshee. The barriers where up two weeks ago but it looks like they where moved from the road for now.

IMG_1985.thumb.JPG.62149f991f57c0235828f8eb354fb5de.JPG

Finally the crane is assembled and just waiting for the tires to be installed then onto the site it will go!

Just my opinion, yes I have seen the stats of the ride, I have seen all the comments about the ride on Facebook and everywhere and honestly? I say who cares what the comments say! As a regular that goes to Kings Island almost weekly, I am personally excited to see this project evolve throughout its construction and cannot wait till Spring of 2020!

So we didn't get any surprises or twists for the announcement, but that's okay! Seeing the renderings of this coaster made me even more excited for this. That wave turn and those airtime hills... did anyone notice the large height differential between I think it's the 3rd and 4th hill? I'd expect to have some awesome airtime on that hill. And because this thing will be a people eater and most likely not be broken down all the time or thigh crush to an uncomfortable extent... we'll be able to ride it a ton of times even on busy days!

Could the park have made something bigger, better, broken records, first-of-its-kind, etc.? Probably. Should they? Who knows. But I think this statement provides an accurate description of one reason they didn't:

Kings Island is already an amazing, top-10 park and this will just make it even better. The park's skyline is going to change dramatically and the colors of this ride look great and will be an amazing complement to their other rides. They're also going to completely revitalize and retheme that area and improve it a lot from X-Base, which will be another welcome improvement to the park.

I think this ride will end up surprising a lot of people with how good it is, but even if it doesn't, "cookie-cutter" B&Ms are still a ton of fun and worth riding. And all of you planning to visit when this thing opens, come say hi to someone who enjoys the hobby and doesn't have a stick up their butt!

Also, last night's event was a ton of fun and I have some pictures I can post from our day and evening whenever I get the chance.

DIL mentioned in his prediction post about tunnels and theming and the like. We who went to the announcement were all a little surprised that Orion doesn’t appear to have that much theming. From a marketing standpoint, I think the ride itself is a big enough draw compared to a ride like Mystic, so I get why there isn’t more theming. I also get why KI might not spend the extra money to spice up Area 72 this year after spending so much on this beast of a coaster. But looking to the future, how likely do you think it is that they’ll add a tunnel like on Leviathan and some more theming in Area 72? I’m already impressed with how well Orion’s theme matches FoF, and I think the park could do a ton with the area. I personally would love to see a tunnel but looking from a practical standpoint I’m not sure how much of a draw it would have.

It's exactly what we thought based upon what we saw already. And that's a good thing! I think this ride looks great. It is short but it packs a punch for the length that it does have. I'll be happy seeing this at my home park.

You're acting like the park owes you something.

No, I'm acting like this is the exact same ride I can go on in many different parks throughout the US or North America, or the World: hell, even pretty much in the exact same park, which is why there's no incentive to visit once this ride opens.

You know it, I know it, Robb Alvey knows it, people who consistently ride coasters know it. Hell, even my family and friends know this B&M cookie cutter crap just does not cut it or warrants additional visits to the park. Orion is a Mako, Diamondback, Fury, Leviathon, Behemoth, blah blah blah all the same. Trim brakes on airtime hills, blah blah blah all the same. This is the same crap B&M has been doing for about 20 years now. Enough is enough.

Parks dropping $20+ Million on coasters need to do better than this, because it's a joke, and I don't know why that is a problem for some of you "enthusiasts" to hope for instead of applauding the next turd they crap out. And I don't know why wanting parks to create better rides than this is frowned upon. Yeah I'm critical of ride additions at times, I think Kings Island could have created a much better ride experience than this for the money, and I think they should have instead of just bending over to the constituency!

I don't see why there's anything wrong with having that opinion.

Dude, you're so miserable and all you do is spark controversy and piss people off every time someone looks forward to a new B&M. I'm sure Robb would really appreciate you throwing using his name to continuously bitch about new attractions that are an absolute hit with your average park goer. There's a difference between expressing your disappointment and throwing a huge buzz killing temper tantrum while people are trying to get excited about this.

If your life is lacking thrill that much deactivate your account and go join the fucking marines.

Enough is enough.