TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I finds it really strange that they are putting the Giga really close to Diamondback? Canada and Carowinds have their Gigas at the other end of the park from their Hypers and I would think they would put it at the former location to SoB

Actually, the distance from station to station at Carowinds is about 1900+/-ft, at Wonderland 2000+/-ft and at KI it should be around 1500+/-ft. So technically they will all be around the same linear distance from each other. Not as strange as you think . . .

^^

I finds it really strange that they are putting the Giga really close to Diamondback? Canada and Carowinds have their Gigas at the other end of the park from their Hypers and I would think they would put it at the former location to SoB

Hmmn. Not so sure about that. They're both on opposite sides of the park. The only other alternative would have been to use SOB's station and that area just got ramped up with Banshee. The pathway there narrows down that way so it might have gotten pretty congested between Banshee, Bat, and the new Giga.

I could see your point if they were right next to each other, but look how close Fury gets to Intimidator. They practically touch tips...

When you'll look at the skyline from the front of the park it will look like the new giga is to the left side of the park and Diamondback will be to the right. You also have to consider where the new giga's entrance will be. It'll work out!

Edited by prozach626

Six Flags New England put two boomerangs next to each other. Silverwood put two wood coasters right next to each other. If the ride is good*, people will ride it even if it looks similar to another.

* Or I guess mediocre considering SFNE's Goliath has an hour wait when it decides to operate.

I try to avoid chain restaurants when I can. The Mason Grill (124 E. Main St.) was an excellent choice for breakfast Saturday. Huge portions, quite tasty, and reasonably priced. There is a craft beer store two doors down as well.

Edit: Just looked up the beer store. Turns out it is actually a brewery. The Common Beer Co.

Has there been any more teasers?

Technically, there actually hasn't been any official park teasers to begin with. Only "developments", of which the most recent one has been simply what color the track might be...

Similar to 3 out of the other 4 CF gigas, a nice blue color...

9061FD8C-EB9E-44CE-BB53-09691AE20AE0.thumb.jpeg.9ca89db7c8949a43cb05dec5d1c79ead.jpeg

(Source)

Supposedly, the support color (behind the track), is a light gray.

Thirteen years ago today, Cedar Fair purchased Kings Island along with the four other then-Paramount parks - for a an astonishing $1.24 billion...

What's crazy to think about is how long its been already that they've owned the parks. About one more year from now, and they will have owned these parks for as long (2006-2020) as the Paramount era was (1992-2006). Assuming they own the parks past 2020, this will make them the single-longest ownership of Kings Island...

I'll always look at the Paramount era with mixed feelings. On one hand, I have vivid, fond memories of growing up in the perennial "Award" winning Kid's Area that was Hanna-Barbera Land/Nick Central/Nick Universe etc. by which Paramount was responsible for expanding and improving multiple times throughout their ownership.

But on the other hand, when I look at many of the decisions/major investments made in the times long before I was old enough to know or care who B&M is or what a "world-class coaster" entails, I can't help but to think that this must have been a frustrating time to be an enthusiast.

I admire Paramount's ambition they had with Son of Beast and Tomb Raider, but my oh my is it a tough pill to swallow just thinking about $30,000,000 and $20,000,000 respectively spent on two things that:

A) Failed to see their 10th anniversary (and at a seasonal park)

B) Significantly and rapidly detoriated over time - one of which ending up as one of the infamous coasters of all time, and the other in its last couple years became denigratingly known as "a ferris wheel in a box" :/

C) Left behind painful reminders of what could have been in the form of year-round Haunt structures.

And this obsession they had with prototypes was not limited to KI. Flights of Fear, Volcano, Hypersonic etc.

And unfortunately for KD, neither Volcano or Hypersonic never worked as intended, and unfortunately no longer exist either.

It seems that they really did want to bring to KI and KD something special and world-class in SOB, TR:TR, Volcano, and Hypersonic, but came up short when it came to execution. If they had just gone with relatively unambitious/less "inspired" projects such as any steel hypercoaster, B&M floorless, invert, etc., things would have gone much more smoothly, both figuratively and literally.

Hinsdsight is 2020, but heck, an Intamin rocket would have ended up as a better choice than Hypersonic. As for SOB, a plug n' play in the 150-160 ft range (I've heard that Intamin was considered when SOB was in development, but either the price was not right and/or were not willing to go 200+ ft)

Xcelerator (2002) opened just one year after Hypersonic

Colossos (2001) - one year after SOB

What's crazy to think about is how long its been already that they've owned the parks. About one more year from now, and they will have owned these parks for as long (2006-2020) as the Paramount era was (1992-2006). Assuming they own the parks past 2020, this will make them the single-longest ownership of Kings Island...

Wow, that's crazy. All things considered I think Cedar fair has been the best owners of the park, for many of the reasons you stated. From a theming standpoint, I remember being a bit upset by how generic Cedar Fair with the big rides and the loss of the Nickelodeon theme in the kids area. The Italian Job suffered (suffers) the worst, but I have friends who, probably to this day, still refer to Invertigo and Drop Tower as Face/Off and Drop Zone.

13 years later I'm really impressed with what Cedar Fair has done. Generic rides are ok if they're good rides, and it's not like the park was anything like Disneyland or Universal before. While I still prefer the Nick themes for the kids rides, the park has done a pretty good job with the Peanuts rebrand and kept the rides in good working condition (although, wouldn't it be great to get the pre-Paramount name "Beastie" back on Woodstock Express). Most of all, though, I'm really happy with the coasters Cedar Fair has added. They bought a park that's a four hour drive from and a competitor to their flagship park and still added some awesome, world-class thrill rides. The addition of Diamondback in 2009 was what really sparked my enthusiasm for the hobby and quenched my thirst for an awesome first drop that was previously satisfied by Son of Beast, whose only good moment was the first drop. Banshee and Mystic aren't too bad, either. Now we're looking forward to a B&M giga next year, something I doubt Paramount would have built.

I miss Son of Beast; I wish they could have smoothed it out and actually made it a good ride, but it looks like that simply wasn't possible. I miss the backwards racer. I miss Nick Universe. I'm sad that I never got a chance to ride Volcano. I regret that I never rode Tomb Raider. I think Backlot really doesn't live up to its potential. But all in all, I'm happy with where the park has come.

There are pictures and videos circulating from outside of the manufacturing plant of blue colored track similar Lightning Run at Kentucky Kingdom. It's not quite as bright but it looks like a true blue. It should provide a nice color variety of track throughout the park and skyline.

I'd posted a picture of what I thought was a small support installed... but I'm pretty sure it was a crapper. fail.

Plenty of concrete footers being poured. Mostly are a at the brake run.

I just realized that I was watching the block testing procedure of Diamondback for way more than a quarter of an hour via the webcams. I was so amazed and fascinated that I forgot everything around me!

Awesome, how slow the train crawles from the MCBR to the brake run. It seems like you can stop it with you bare fingers.

Oh yeah coming out of the MCBR from a complete stop with an empty train is nerve-racking to see. It crawls through the final helix and you'd think the water splash would bring it to a stop but it surprisingly makes it back to the final brake run.

From someone on r/rollercoasters

Kings Island roller coaster announcement and small event will be on August 14th.

RUMOR

Not sure if you consider this an unreliable source or not, but I work at the park as a contractor of sorts, and have been notified by upper management that a few of my stands will be effected by the announcement event coming the 14th. Just figured I'd give people a heads up, heard it here first.

Take it for what you will. Could be a troll, could be legit, idk...

Either way, I have to say I'm disappointed in how there has yet to be any teasers yet (whatsoever). And the more time that passes, the less likely we'll be seeing any teasers save one stating the announcement date. Yes, we already pretty much everything there is to know, even down to track color and two possible names, but it would have been nice to have some sort of story built up/attached to this ride.

The teasing campaigns for both Mystic Timbers and Banshee were done phenomenally well. So I don't understand why they've chosen to go about this coaster the way they have.

It was understandable not having teasers up on Opening Day since they wanted the focus to be on everything that was new or improved for 2019, and maybe wait until Grand Carnivale ends. But at this point...what are they waiting for?

It's because everyone already knows. Everyone. The local news has featured multiple stories on the 'giga' coaster. Even my grandmother and her neighbors know what a giga coaster is, where the steel is coming from, and the fact that it's coming next year.

Or, it's quiet before the storm.. I haven't heard a peep about the project since the layout was submitted and shared on the forums.

KI and CF and Don like to toy with enthusiasts but I'm not sure many people care about teasers outside of forums like this. As far as the GP is concerned, the news outlets and word of mouth have done plenty of "teasing" already. Why waste breath when you could just, you know, announce the thing?

Also are these kinds of events normally open to the public? Sorry if it's a dumb question but I've never been to one and this time around I'll actually be in the area.

Both Banshee and Mystic Timbers had public announcements, after park close. I'm pretty sure DB and every other ride in CF ownership has had public announcements as well. This will likely be the same.

It's because everyone already knows. Everyone.

Right. But I still having a teaser campaign would help add to the excitement, and get even more people talking. Yes, mostly everyone knows, but I'm sure there are still plenty that don't.

Its just kinda lazy imo. We already know whats coming to BGW but thats not stopping them from doing a formal teaser campaign.

Simply put. With KI's history of teasing rides so well, I'm surprised that they've taken this "nothing to see here" approach that they have.