TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

^And I also love how they make it a priority to build coasters with at least three trains to begin with (and often times more)

The fact that a 3,265 ft long GCI with no MCBR in MT runs with three trains I've always considered to be quite remarkable. (All thanks to the #theshed)

And because of the shed it doesn’t feel like you’re waiting long even when you’re stacked and waiting. It’s hard to hear the music from the back row (where we usually ride) but I still make a point of singing and swaying to the music.

Those who were disappointed with the shed were simply victims of unrealistic expectations...

I don't go into a Cedar Fair ride expecting Disney/Universal level theming just as I don't ride Space Mountain expecting CF/Six Flags thrills...

----

But onto the topic of next year, what I find funny/ironic is that like its sister park in Doswell, VA, Kings Island will end up with a giga right next to a Flight of Fear, and towering over 70s racing woodie. Not only that, but a Backlot Stunt Coaster and Arrow mega looper not too far away as well...

Oh how these things turn out!

----

Amusement Insiders posted this. He says a POV and offride footage of this rendering will be posted in the next day or so.

09C2B784-1194-45D9-8EC8-3B536133C65E.thumb.png.1b4f4ce433b1648371bf2a048b174f5b.png

I was disappointed for about 2 seconds but then I bought a “what’s in the shed?” T-shirt and I say, “whatever you do, don’t go in the shed!” From the top of wooden coasters (and some water rides) whenever I’m feeling especially hype.

It’s a disease. Don’t hate.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Here is the off-ride footage and front row pov.

A thing I would like to note... There's not necessarily any indication at this point, that the name would be Polaris instead of Orion. That's just what he decided to pick. Personally I would prefer Orion, but Polaris is fine too.

One word - with no numbers added on is mainly what I want name-wise...

I expressed my doubt at the last predicted layout but having studied the leaked blueprints I think this is ridiculously close to what we'll be seeing next year. I personally love the colors they chose for this render. The space theme fits really well with FoF as well. Hope the park chooses something similar!

That first element is intriguing, though. It's not really a turn, but it does curve a few degrees off to the left. I wonder if we'll be seeing a cool lateral-airtime element like the treble clef on Fury.

It will be very interesting to see both Hersheypark and Kings Island add their large B&M Hyper/Giga simultaneously. Despite the height and speed differences, they are the same type of coaster and even have very roughly similar layouts, and the two parks aren't *that* far from each other in a big picture view. Very interesting, for me at least.

Praying to the coaster gods that CGA is next to receive one...

This addition confuses me. This is the best a park of this caliber can come up with? Even using B&M? Ugh.

Can't believe what higher ups in the chain are willing to "sign off" on as a legitimate addition with so many other amazing roller coaster manufacturers providing much more unique thrills at a cost similar or less than B&M provides. Mack, Intamin, Premier all come to mind.

Kings Island deserves much better, IMO.

Sometimes I can't tell if you're serious or not.

Love them or hate them, large scale B&M coasters are established as problem free high capacity crowd pleasers. Kings Island signs off on the additions because they offer great return on investment. Case in point: Fury 325 and Leviathan. The parks are out to please the majority of guests and they care much much less about enthusiasts who stick their noses up at anything other than RMC or coasters that offer blackout forces.

Face it, dude. You're a coaster snob. You hate on anything that doesn't meet your stamp of approval. It must be exhausting. I'm sure people love having conversations with you in queues...

Face it, dude. You're a coaster snob. You hate on anything that doesn't meet your stamp of approval. It must be exhausting. I'm sure people love having conversations with you in queues...

Sometimes I wonder why some people are in this hobby if they're so miserable.

Not every new coaster needs to have mind blowing stats (on paper since this isn't built yet) to be amazing. I'll keep using I305 as my example as this ride has similar unconfirmed stats. Enthusiasts LOVE I305, most drool over it. Yet, this ride, which appears to be similar in height and length is being s**t on left and right by enthusiast snobs just because it doesn't meet their wet dream expectations.

Can we at least wait until we ride rides to judge them? And not s**t all over a park, a park who has numbers and research to justify their CapEx spending as well as a budget to work with before the ride is even built, let alone announced officially.

^And Leviathan totally blew a lot of enthusiast's minds when it was announced. KI's giga is being hated on simply because of the fact that Fury 325 exists. I'm sure we'll all love it when we finally get a chance to ride.

(I feel like this thread keeps going in circles)

Haha. Even as someone who was rather disappointed upon initial viewing of the layout and predicted stats (but have certainly come around since then), I do find it quite hilarious how its already been established by some where this will rank in the hierarchy of gigas, and hierarchy of coasters in general....

And there isn't even teasers yet.... let alone it being announced, let alone it opening, or anyone having ridden it...

Just curious, if you removed Fury's helix wouldn't it be about the length of this ride? By all accounts, that helix is the weakest part of Fury.

Good question. I had been wondering the same thing myself, and actually looked into this a couple of weeks ago...

Upon using the Google Earth measuring tool, the raw length from an overhead view came out to be ~700 ft. Taking into account the elevation of the track I think it would be anywhere from ~750-800 ft.

So if you were to take out the helix alone on Fury, the length might be down 5800-5900 ft

This addition confuses me. This is the best a park of this caliber can come up with? Even using B&M? Ugh.

Can't believe what higher ups in the chain are willing to "sign off" on as a legitimate addition with so many other amazing roller coaster manufacturers providing much more unique thrills at a cost similar or less than B&M provides. Mack, Intamin, Premier all come to mind.

Kings Island deserves much better, IMO.

This post confuses me...

Just curious. Were you not aware that B&M was listed on official NOC documents as early as August of last year?

You sound as if you just found it that's going to B&M, and that other manufacturers were even rumored as potential builders of this ride.

We get it. You don't like B&M. And yes, there happen to be a lot of great coasters being made by other manufacturers as well. If you like Mack and Intamin so much, just move overseas.

People being upset or nit picky about Kings islands new addition next year are hilarious to me and I’ve already had a few friends that aren’t enthusiasts reach out asking why they are building another diamondback. Lately I’ve been sending them the video eltororyan made (thank you) and then sending them video of fury vs intimidator at Carowinds.

I can’t wait for this no matter the stats or the name or colors but if I am seeing things right the next two elements after a 301 foot drop top put at 173. That should lead to some good pops of air and by the time you hit that weird turn around towards the end you should be carrying good speed for some force entering and exiting it. While the ride seems short by giga standards it should pack a punch.

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful day at the park today. Except Diamondback went down when we would have been on the next train. All three trains are off and there appears to be no activity over there. Video screen out front reporting it down for the day. Daughter is a bit bummed to miss it, but we are having a great day otherwise. We did the tower and there are some footers poured for the new coaster. Full TR next week.