TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Re: guests blacking out on a low-level giga

Not necessarily. The whole ride doesn't need to be low to the ground after the main hill. Just space out the hills a bit and keep the low-level stuff in between. Also, Intimidator 305 proved that a lot of high hills to bleed off speed aren't a total necessity for a gigacoaster. I think the perfect blend is somewhere in the middle: enough terrain hugging to keep things interesting with the massive hills sprinkled in for good measure and variety.

I think this will be a solid ride, but I can understand the sentiments of those who maybe wish it used the terrain to its advantage a bit more.

Cool, man. Make sure to create it in No-Limits with KI terrain so we can all see. I'm fascinated.

Stop wishing. It's not going to happen. It would be a dumb investment, because The Beast is currently, and likely always will be, popular with guests. Even the Cedar Fair recognizes that it's an icon and guests love the nostalgia. It makes zero financial sense.

Not to mention the fact you'd have to reconstruct most of the ride just to make the conversion interesting. Beast is mostly flat straightaways aside from the final helix. You'd have to rebuild most of it from the footers up with lateral and vertical movement to make it interesting as an RMC.

IMHO the only real improvement I'd like to see would be slight profile changes to allow it to run faster. Otherwise I think they're better off just leaving it as-is.

Looking forward to whatever the new coaster turns out to be...

The only changes I’d want to see done to The Beast are...

1. Ease up on the trim brakes or remove where possible

2. Add small airtime hills to some of the straight stretches

3. Headrest free buzz bar trains

Among any other small improvements. It’s a great unique ride but honestly during the day most of it isn’t that great. At night the darkness makes it better but I definitely don’t think the experience meets the hype. That being said it is a one of a kind experience and I appreciate that. Oh and please never RMC it or any unique classic woodie.

^Yep. On one hand there's so many great coasters to ride. But because of reference dependence, these great new coasters make the coasters of years' past seem less impressive, and/or there creates a sort of jadedness among some where anything thats not uber-intense RMC or Intamin seem "meh".

Case in point, Fury ranking #13 overall in the latest poll :/

The only changes I’d want to see done to The Beast are...

1. Ease up on the trim brakes or remove where possible

This for certain would not be feasible.

And contrary to some belief, the Beast runs no appreciable amount slower than it did Opening Day 1979. The degree to which its braked has remained the same, only the method has changed. Used to be skid brakes which would slow the train gradually, where as the magnetic trims more abruptly, thus creating the feeling that its being slowed down more when in reality it isn't.

Let the record show that I think Beast is still the best (and by far the most fun) ride in the park! I thought that it'd start to feel dated by now, but I've enjoyed it every time. It still feels bonkers to me, even with trims, and rides like SkyRush haven't changed that. Please, no touching Beast or other classics like the Coney Island Cyclone, aside from more traditional rehabs.

Let the record show that I think Beast is still the best (and by far the most fun) ride in the park! I thought that it'd start to feel dated by now, but I've enjoyed it every time. It still feels bonkers to me, even with trims, and rides like SkyRush haven't changed that. Please, no touching Beast or other classics like the Coney Island Cyclone, aside from more traditional rehabs.

Yup. Basically, GCI is the only outside company that should be touching rides like these...

And I agree about Beast. Always has been my personal favorite, and probably always will at KI. The other top ones are great in their own right, but the Beast is just so unique and one-of-a-kind in every way.

I couldn't agree more and I'll add Screaming Eagle to that list.

I was thinking about the complaints of the length of the new Giga. This isn't SF Great America where every ride is 30 seconds long, so I take that into consideration when looking at the park as a whole. Diamondback and Mystic Timbers have pretty good length. Banshee is long for its coaster type. Beast is exceptionally long. They can't all be four minutes long.

There's a difference between the people who are slightly disappointed and the people who keep crying like little bitches.

Great way to put it. I have experienced some level of disappointment for it not being as tall/record-breaking/long as my pipe dreams had hoped, but I'm still overjoyed for the park getting a coaster like this and I will still be there and happily marathon the thing, and I can't wait to ride it during Haunt no matter how it turns out.

This culture reminds me of high school when there were groups of people that had a greater interest in music and it lead them to lesser known underground bands in order to maintain a false sense of intellectual and creative exclusivity. They would get together in their little anti-social clicks and talk shit on all of the people who were perfectly content with having a good time listening to basic bitch Pop Culture hits and not giving two ffcks about taking music more seriously.

You just described me in high school I will not reveal the names of the other forums I joined around '07 but they may or may not have involved "emo" culture and us forum regulars frequently tearing into the n00bs to set them straight that emo isn't a style, it's a type of music and you've probably never heard of any true emo bands.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115ced86f731783466363eee66&rid=giphy.gif

on another note, I may or may not have resembled the high school students you were referring to I was the master of being "tragic and misunderstood," but in my defense - it was the 80's.

But neither of you spent your angsty teenage years during the mid-2000s "emo era".

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115ced881c477732503686ddde&rid=giphy.gif

Also I'm going to see Emery and Hawthorne Heights play a 15-year reunion next week so I'm getting into the spirit early...

Also if you asked me in '07 I would have said neither of those bands are "true emo"

There's a difference between the people who are slightly disappointed and the people who keep crying like little bitches.

Great way to put it. I have experienced some level of disappointment for it not being as tall/record-breaking/long as my pipe dreams had hoped, but I'm still overjoyed for the park getting a coaster like this and I will still be there and happily marathon the thing, and I can't wait to ride it during Haunt no matter how it turns out.

Personally I will be disappointed if it's not better than Fury. But just because it's not taller, faster and/or longer than Fury doesn't mean it can't be better. Look at Millennium Force and Expedition GeForce...

We already know that the setting for this coaster is much different than Fury as it's located in the back of the park. I think many of the elements will be really similar, but, just like Fury, I think we'll see some innovative things. Look at the helix on the blueprints (Not posted here yet but someone from KIC scanned these high-resolution images: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DSj3IBP1_GI9h7JhU7217zdiO-LQbNU9/view) The spot labeled "top #6" is an a really interesting position. Also, the fact that the drop is 300ft and the second "top" only 183ft above the low point of the drop tells me something funny might be happening there.

KI and Carowinds are hardly competitors. I think they'll try to keep this coaster as different from Millennium Force as they can, but also different from Diamondback. I don't think Fury will play into the equation that much at all.

I think one thing to keep in mind when comparing this to Fury is that B&M really looks at the aesthetic of the ride. Fury is at the front of the park and goes over multiple walkways where the guest can see the train. Therefore that ride didn't need tall elements for the guests to look at. This Kings Island ride seems to be towards the back of the park off in a wooded area. Therefore they're using taller elements that pop in out of the tree lines to make the ride more visually appealing. Since the ride is using taller elements, they're keeping the ride length shorter so it maintains its speed. I think when you get this tall with a ride, there's gonna be a number of guests who won't ride and would rather just watch than ride.

^You make a very good point. I never really considered that, but it makes sense.

I would be thrilled if I lived near Kings Island. Being from the West Coast, I am very jealous that North America is getting its FIFTH giga coaster, all of which are located in the same time zone. Whether it's more similar to I305, or Fury, or Leviathan, or Millennium Force, us Californians would *gladly* take this giga off your hands!

I think one thing to keep in mind when comparing this to Fury is that B&M really looks at the aesthetic of the ride. Fury is at the front of the park and goes over multiple walkways where the guest can see the train. Therefore that ride didn't need tall elements for the guests to look at. This Kings Island ride seems to be towards the back of the park off in a wooded area. Therefore they're using taller elements that pop in out of the tree lines to make the ride more visually appealing. Since the ride is using taller elements, they're keeping the ride length shorter so it maintains its speed. I think when you get this tall with a ride, there's gonna be a number of guests who won't ride and would rather just watch than ride.

That's a good point with the taller elements. This ride will have a totally different feel to it than Fury because of location alone. I was thinking the theme will match that aesthetic, but I never considered it playing a role in the layout.

I've been following this because my son and I attended Coasterstock this year and it was our first time at KI. We loved the park! Several unique coasters and since it's about a 6 hour drive for us probably a once a year trip. Coasterstock was his requested birthday present and I'm guessing it will be next year as well with the new Giga.

With SFStl as our home park I would not be complaining about ANY new coaster. Seriously. And although we have a nice little collection of woodies, it does not come close to the coaster collection you guys have.

^And I also love how they make it a priority to build coasters with at least three trains to begin with (and often times more)

The fact that a 3,265 ft long GCI with no MCBR in MT runs with three trains I've always considered to be quite remarkable. (All thanks to the #theshed)