TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

As somebody who freaking loves KI, I can't imagine being upset over any new coaster there, let alone a Giga! Sure, my feeling all along was that a Wing, B&M Flyer, or something else unique making use of the wooded terrain would be "better" than a Giga, but that's merely semantics. A Giga is awesome, and KI is awesome, and pairing the two only stands make even more awesomeness! Can't wait to get out to KI next year and ride whatever this ends up being!

There's a difference between the people who are slightly disappointed and the people who keep crying like little bitches. I was slightly disappointed when the Mystic Timbers clearing ended up being a GCI, instead of something closer to what we're looking at now. But, in no way did that stop me from realizing that Mystic Timbers was still going to be a great addition and something to appreciate, because I'm grateful.

We're also seeing the reliable return of people complaining about the layout being dull before the ride even goes vertical. They're the same people who think they can tell the good rides from the bad rides just by watching youtube POV's.

Regardless, you also have one constant factor. Hypothetically, this new roller coaster could put Steel Vengeance to shame and people would still discount it because it's a B&M. And when I say people, I mean spoiled little keyboard warrior super coaster nerds who are perfectly satisfied gorging on heaping handfuls of cheap 20ct Chucken McNuggets on the way to the park, but for some reason a 20+ million dollar 300 ft 90 mph coaster is less than satisfying to them. It's also not cool if mass numbers of the general public enjoy the new coaster.

This culture reminds me of high school when there were groups of people that had a greater interest in music and it lead them to lesser known underground bands in order to maintain a false sense of intellectual and creative exclusivity. They would get together in their little anti-social clicks and talk shit on all of the people who were perfectly content with having a good time listening to basic bitch Pop Culture hits and not giving two ffcks about taking music more seriously.

These people are a strange breed and for some reason they hold a personal grandiose image about one of the few things in life where they actually have a (useless) one up on Average Joe, who is just looking to have a fun care-free time. And I love it. Why? Because I troll the ffck out of their facebook posts while sitting on the crapper, on some of the terrible facebook coaster nerd groups.

... And I love it. Why? Because I troll the ffck out of their facebook posts while sitting on the crapper, on some of the terrible facebook coaster nerd groups.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who trolls these groups!

The way I look at it, once a ride is built and you actually ride it, then and only then does it make sense to form an opinion. Sure, stating mild disappointment over stats is one thing. But flat out bitching and moaning cause a rides stats don't live up to your enthusiast wet dream standards is ridiculous and at that point why are you even in this hobby?

Rides like Mako and Oscar's Wacky Taxi prove that if you just sit back and enjoy a ride for what it is you can have a ton of fun in this hobby! Rides don't have to be YUUUUGE record breakers to be fun!

I've been drooling for a B&M Giga at KI since I first rode Fury. Was I hoping it would be similar to Fury in height and length? Sure, but I'm not gonna bitch and complain cause a ride didn't meet that hope, I'm going to be grateful that KI and CF are investing tens of millions of dollars in a new attraction and that I'm lucky enough to now have 5 giga coasters within an 8 hour drive of my house and I'm gonna enjoy the new addition! I've never once gotten off a B&M hyper/giga without a smile on my face.

There's a difference between the people who are slightly disappointed and the people who keep crying like little bitches.

Agreed completely with all of this post.

I enjoy music, I enjoy a few rather obscure bands just because I enjoy their music. I used to go to some forums and other sites to try to find information about those, and I just don't go there anymore because of gatekeepers. Spotify is great for that now. Spotify doesn't judge, just lets you listen to what you enjoy no matter what it is. You can find some fun new bands that aren't necessarily all over the radio without anyone judging you for just discovering them now when they've OBVIOUSLY been touring small town coffee shops since 2006 and a REAL fan would support them BEFORE they had a hit song. Whatever, man.

I also love the Beatles and U2 and Radiohead and several other huge bands. Sometimes things are popular because they're good, and hating things that are popular leads to also hating things that are good. Vampire Weekend is good. Lady Gaga is good. And this B&M giga is definitely gonna be good, because they all are. Doesn't benefit anybody to hate on it, so what's the point? Just "virtue signaling," or as we used to call it, fronting. There's so much out there to love, why not just love what you love, and don't worry about the rest? Least that's how I see it.

Sure enough though, I did find full blueprints over there and it shows the lift and station starting at an elevation of 10-15ft just like I predicted. I’m pretty certain this whole 285ft rumor started as an oversight to this fact which is why I think it’s ludicrous.

The only good news is that I can state that the crazy individuals at KIC got that part right. The peak of the coaster is at 1035.9 feet, and the ground under the peak is 750, both numbers are from sea level, simply subtract one from the other and you get 285.9 feet.

All I want them to answer is one question, except for how tall the supports are how does that change the coaster? What difference does it make? Under this same logic, Lightning Rod is only 80 feet tall. This is part of the point of a terrain coaster, exploiting the height of the terrain to make the supports shorter.

The more I look at the blueprints the more excited I am for this coaster. The layout looks good and it’s always nice when the coaster is not next to a parking lot.

I’m personally psyched with this layout. It’s basically what you’d get if you took out the two lamest parts of Fury (the shallow hill after the stall-dive thingy and the helix) and that’s perfectly fine with me.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Fury325 has a couple of parts that just seem unnecessary and don't add much. This KI coaster may not be as long as Fury325, but if the fan-made rendering is close to the real thing, I'll be happy with it. It won't just feel like a "bigger Diamondback" and each coaster will have their place in the park.

Wow, that thread is stunning awful. This coaster looks like a lot of fun. Not everything can be Steel Vengeance.

Well I mean if Kings Island really wanted their own version of Steel Vengeance there's 7400 feet of existing wooden coaster track they could use to do so, but that would be sure to tick off all kinds of other people......

Wow, that thread is stunning awful. This coaster looks like a lot of fun. Not everything can be Steel Vengeance.

This is one of the reasons that I have been keeping my distance from a lot of coaster enthusiasts as of late. They are just a bunch of whiny cry babies that are never happy with anything.

there's a difference between being passionate about something, and just being an a-hole.

it's like arguing with a Cedar Point fanboy. In their minds, the park can do no wrong and no other Park is any good.

No matter the length of this ride,I'm sure it's going to be amazing! I'm really looking forward to seeing what the park has up its sleeve.

On another note, wouldn't it be hilarious if these blueprints are just a fake distraction that the park purposely leaked out to screw with coaster enthusiasts?

^ lol wait until July or August, when Cedar Point announces "New for 2020: New LED lights on Corkscrew!", the fanboys who have convinced themselves that they were getting two 400 ft dueling coasters start freaking out. That will be quite entertaining.

On another note, wouldn't it be hilarious if these blueprints are just a fake distraction that the park purposely leaked out to screw with coaster enthusiasts?

These blueprints are filed with the City of Mason (I know because I went and checked). I'm pretty sure it's illegal for anyone to file false paperwork with the government. Plus, it's signed off on by the city engineer. No way this is a fake. If it is, it's illegal.

Edited by KIEnthusiast

These blueprints are filed with the City of Mason (I know because I went and checked). I'm pretty sure it's illegal for anyone to file false paperwork with the government. Plus, it's signed off on by the city engineer. No way this is a fake. If it, it's illegal.

Screenshot_20190523-191658_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3f6bc59023f6511af723e3bb3dfb7cc8.jpg

the moaning over the Giga is indeed annoying. It will be fun no matter what.

But I do understand some "mild" disappointment if indeed the ride is mostly high off the ground and a very short ride experience. In particular, Kings Island has a pretty unique wooden, slightly hilly landscape, that is perfect for terrain coasters (like the Beast) -- why not take greater advantage of it? If *I* were designing the ride (and I should be!), I would have kept as much as possible low to the ground, with low turns, to be a Beast-like counterpart through the woods, which would be amazing. It may also reduce costs to have fewer high supports (but see below).

That said, the obvious problem is that at these giga velocities you can eat up a ton of track and space in the blink of an eye (and there goes your cost savings). Probably the only way a low-to-the-ground design could work with a giga would be to have the first have more traditional "hills" and then bleed a lot of speed out of it in a mid-course brake (shudder) and have the second half be the extended low-to-the-ground experience.

But, jeez, some parks don't get anything like this -- ever....

As a side note, is it sacriligeous to secretly wish for an RMC conversion of the Beast?

It feels wrong to even type that, but there is a part of me that would think they could do an amazing thing with that layout and track length. To be honest, the only thing I would miss would be that out-of-control feeling on the helix which would be hard to replicate with steel track, but imagine what RMC could do with the first leg through the woods, peppering it with bunny hills, surprise inversions, and other goodies.

Maybe I'm just getting older, but I have absolutely nothing to say about the giga until it opens and I get to ride it. I've learned that plans and POVs don't always reflect the actual ride experience, so why bother psyching myself up or out over what may be an incredible or underwhelming ride? I'll be looking forward to trying it out when it opens.

I find that there are two different types/personalities of "coaster enthusiast" that I've encountered. There are the ones you encounter online that are just awful, whiny, pissy, insert-insulting trait here, that I have rarely ever actually encountered at parks - then there are the rest of us that probably know more than we need to know about the hobby, but can laugh at ourselves and generally enjoy it.

on another note, I may or may not have resembled the high school students you were referring to I was the master of being "tragic and misunderstood," but in my defense - it was the 80's.

On the Kings Island front - good for them! This will be yet another reason why I need to get back there (as if nighttime Beast rides were not enough.)

David

As a side note, is it sacriligeous to secretly wish for an RMC conversion of the Beast?

It feels wrong to even type that, but there is a part of me that would think they could do an amazing thing with that layout and track length. To be honest, the only thing I would miss would be that out-of-control feeling on the helix which would be hard to replicate with steel track, but imagine what RMC could do with the first leg through the woods, peppering it with bunny hills, surprise inversions, and other goodies.

Stop wishing. It's not going to happen. It would be a dumb investment, because The Beast is currently, and likely always will be, popular with guests. Even the Cedar Fair recognizes that it's an icon and guests love the nostalgia. It makes zero financial sense.

As far as your Giga coaster goes, your guests are going to blackout with all of that speed and none of it killed off by any significant hills. Congratulations on your new job at Schlitterbahn.

Here's the perfect place for your ideas:

https://www.planetcoaster.com/en-gb

Re: guests blacking out on a low-level giga

Not necessarily. The whole ride doesn't need to be low to the ground after the main hill. Just space out the hills a bit and keep the low-level stuff in between. Also, Intimidator 305 proved that a lot of high hills to bleed off speed aren't a total necessity for a gigacoaster. I think the perfect blend is somewhere in the middle: enough terrain hugging to keep things interesting with the massive hills sprinkled in for good measure and variety.

I think this will be a solid ride, but I can understand the sentiments of those who maybe wish it used the terrain to its advantage a bit more.