TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

My math says the lift is just about 300, could easily be a few feet off so its possible its like 310. But either way there is a small slope in front of the lift. I think that slope is where the records will come from and the drop is likely around 330, might hit 340 feet, could even give it a higher top speed then Fury.

I'm not sure that everyone's so sure about the drop being bigger than the lift. The pictures I've seen of the land clearing make it look pretty flat to me, and I recall someone on KIC pointing out that there's actually a 10ft elevation gain between the station and where the bottom of the first drop is thought to be. I'm not going to say they're NOT going to break records; they certainly could (adding a tunnel, a big 2nd drop, etc), but I wouldn't get my hopes up. We're not going to know that kind of thing until announcement time anyway.

According to trig the lift is only 285 feet tall. It’s a giga style coaster and not even a real giga. The document was filed with the city so they could start construction soon, so it pretty much has to be real.

Everyone is freaking out about this, but did we remember to add the 10-15 feet off the ground the lift it will start at just like Fury 325? It has no pre-lift section, just a transfer by the blueprints like Fury, and if nearly every B&M can be evidence enough, the station is going to have a platform height of ~15 ft alone.

Give a couple feet for error in all our estimates plus the terrain and I’d say we’re looking at 300ft here still and no less.

F9ED9C10-1381-49DB-8C13-082728759547.thumb.jpeg.ec5410b59bbee384313f18742c5aa376.jpeg

Just a question out of interest. I could imagine that there were more than one possible layout for the same cleared and they have made more than one blueprint, maybe because some sort of a decision to be made by the city council. And this leaked obe is one of them. Maybe it's the final one.

Another thing I thought: Maybe the track in the plant wasn't for KI, the blueprints were the right ones and we're not looking a a trditional sit down coaster here, so it doesn't matter for record purposes to hit the 300 foot mark? If (!) it would be a 285 foot, non inverting WIng Coaster (remember, if!), the short overall length, would make sense. You could theme it to a flying creature hunting the beast, though.

I don't think any of this might be the most likely possibility, but I want to point out that we don't know everything about this coaster yet and there will come some informations that will make the puzzle pieces fit.

This is so silly of an argument. Cedar Fair already has two other parks with paired B&M coasters of 200/300 ft with a clear history of success in drawing guests. There's no reason to assume that the people going to Kings Island are going to be concerned with this because they're extra smart. I mean, if that was true, why are they living in Dayton/Cinci/Northern Kentucky to begin with?

I kid, I kid. (Maybe.)

Also: Yeah, it isn't going to be as intense as I305. I'm gonna go on record and say that's a conscious decision from everyone in part because I305 isn't a popular attraction with the general public and doesn't even have universal appeal among enthusiasts.

Another thing I thought: Maybe the track in the plant wasn't for KI, the blueprints were the right ones and we're not looking a a trditional sit down coaster here, so it doesn't matter for record purposes to hit the 300 foot mark? If (!) it would be a 285 foot, non inverting WIng Coaster (remember, if!), the short overall length, would make sense. You could theme it to a flying creature hunting the beast, though.

That's a possibility I've been thinking too, but the main problem I see with that is that we'd have to see some other park out of nowhere announce a new B&M hyper or giga in order for that track to be headed somewhere besides KI. Obviously the Hershey track has already been identified so it can't be for that, and those other two B&M hypers are almost completely built. And then, IIRC CGA's rumored hyper was supposedly cancelled?

But as you said, wing coaster probably isn't all that likely, but it would explain the short layout if that was the case.

Fortunately, overhead layouts don't do true justice, so I'm actually really liking what I see from the NL2 recreation...

And I for one am definitely hoping for a Millennium Force blue track - not that baby/sky blue they've been pushing with Gatekeeper, Leviathan, and Fury (sort of).

Fairly busy at the park today. Missed a Mystic Timbers lift hill evac by a couple minutes. Dang it. Otherwise, good time today.

Also, rode Woodstock. They stopped us at the top of the lift hill. Employees walks up the hill and gets a cell phone from guy in the front row. Security was waiting at the exit when we returned. Think they just scolded him a bit. They should have booted him. Ride OP even told him to put it away right before we left the station. Multiple kids crying as we sat on top of the hill waiting.

it would be a 285 foot, non inverting WIng Coaster (remember, if!), the short overall length, would make sense.

I am no engineer but I don't know if the stress of the forces would be suitable for a wing coaster car.

it would be a 285 foot, non inverting WIng Coaster (remember, if!), the short overall length, would make sense.

I am no engineer but I don't know if the stress of the forces would be suitable for a wing coaster car.

The stress on a wing coaster train has nothing to do with the height or drop of the ride the train is mounted on. It's all in the design of the ride itself. You can design a 400ft coaster that puts less stress on the train than a 100ft ride if you so desire.

The stress on a wing coaster train has nothing to do with the height or drop of the ride the train is mounted on. It's all in the design of the ride itself. You can design a 400ft coaster that puts less stress on the train than a 100ft ride if you so desire.

Ok, i'll update . . . without it having a long, drawn out layout to reduce the forces.

Fairly busy at the park today. Missed a Mystic Timbers lift hill evac by a couple minutes. Dang it. Otherwise, good time today.

Also, rode Woodstock. They stopped us at the top of the lift hill. Employees walks up the hill and gets a cell phone from guy in the front row. Security was waiting at the exit when we returned. Think they just scolded him a bit. They should have booted him. Ride OP even told him to put it away right before we left the station. Multiple kids crying as we sat on top of the hill waiting.

The park is implementing a new policy on cell phones now. The big 3 coasters now have signs like this in front of their stations (Mystic, Diamondback and Banshee). The new policy is exactly how it was stated above about what happens if someone does not put their phone away.

IMG_9273.thumb.jpg.22ac06d4716f6b6b9067ee449d557551.jpg

New signs

I'm expecting measures to increase in all parks and chains over the next several years. Except for maybe Knoebels... I know there are exceptions where phones accidentally fell from pockets which were believed to be secured, but this is another prime example of a few people ruining things for everyone.

I think the enforcement of these policies is hit or miss though as I noticed yesterday at Kings Dominion while the whole metal detection policy is going strong none of the ride ops actually seemed to enforce the policy they just took the cards and went on with things people still had loose articles in pockets and such, and this was consistent, while the way loose articles are handled is changing in the industry I do believe there are still many kinks to be worked out.

Phones are the most prized possession of people, yeah? So I'm assuming those who haven't been to parks in the past couple years don't understand how easy it is to lose them or items on newer coasters with strong ejector/hangtime. Soon enough people will realize that a pocket isn't good enough for roller coasters.. maybe maybe not, haha. I'm not trying to wear a special outfit to theme parks to keep my phone with me at all times so paying a dollar or two is just common sense.

^Special outfit? Most people I see at parks don't even properly dress for the weather let alone forces of a ride. Even at Winterfest I saw people walking around in shorts/hoodies and flip flops. Then bitching about how cold it is. I was behind a girl in line for Skyhawk at CP on opening day wearing a short summer sundress. Temp wasn't even predicting temps over 50f that day. All she did was shiver and complain.

At one point Saturday they had 4 or 5 workers and security standing in front of Banshee. It was kind of nuts. Everyone just left stuff at the gate. Might be the norm.

I see a few trips to lost and found here.

Hoping to visit this park for the first time soon, I had originally planned the last week of May to visit along with visiting Holiday World though I forgot schools will all likely be letting out plus memorial day weekend is during this time, would this be a good time to visit or should I do it the week before or the week after to avoid crowds? I was looking at visiting during the Tues-Weds timeframe.

I vote don't worry about the timing and take advantage of one of the best bang-for-buck fast pass systems there is at this park. I can't really comment on the crowds during those times.

Hoping to visit this park for the first time soon, I had originally planned the last week of May to visit along with visiting Holiday World though I forgot schools will all likely be letting out plus memorial day weekend is during this time, would this be a good time to visit or should I do it the week before or the week after to avoid crowds? I was looking at visiting during the Tues-Weds timeframe.

Keep in mind that if you do this you'll literally drive right by Kentucky Kingdom. They're open that week, they have a great out of state special and they have an RMC, a new family wood coaster that's probably great based on the other ones and a great little Morgan.

I used to have fanny pack , my daughter would scoff until it came time to get in a ride , then she was handing me her phone. Shorts with zipper pockets are the way to go go

Ironically fanny packs are back in fashion for girls. I go to parks frequently with my 17 & 21 yr old female cousins and they always wear fanny packs.