TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I love how Kings Island fans have been clamoring for a giga and when they finally get it, they complain.

Literally every fan base ever for every park. Too many people in this hobby are entitled and ungrateful. Even when rides like Steel Vengeance or Yukon Striker get announced there are people who have to complain cause it wasn't EXACTLY what they wanted or assumed it would be.

The b*tching will increase once it's officially announced and we have all the details.

Edited by WolfBobs

I love how Kings Island fans have been clamoring for a giga and when they finally get it, they complain.

Literally every fan base ever for every park. Too many people in this hobby are entitled and ungrateful. Even when rides like Steel Vengeance or Yukon Striker get announced there are people who have to complain cause it wasn't EXACTLY what they wanted or assumed it would be.

The b*tching will increase once it's officially announced and we have all the details.

The one thread I don't suspect this would be an issue in is the Michigan's Adventure thread. I remember last year when they were begging for Knott's old Boomerang and Firehawk. They'll take anything at this point.

Also if everyone's main gripe is about the length, I just think back to Twisted Cyclone. When it was announced, everyone complained it was missing the third lap. But once it opened, the conversation switched to how awesome and insane that ride is.

That's assuming all these leaks are real, which is a big assumption.

It looks pretty different to Diamondback so I think I’ll be pretty happy with it if this turns out to be true. If I want a longer ride I’ll just walk across the park and ride Diamondback; hopefully this while shorter will give a more intense and relentless experience that I can’t get on Diamondback.

Also, a top-down view of a coaster's layout hardly does it justice. Any coaster's layout (especially hypers/gigas) look uninteresting from that view. It is very difficult to judge the scale of the lift hill, airtime hills, etc. I remember first seeing a plan view of Fury's layout and being underwhelmed, but of course my opinion has VERY much changed!

Regardless if that is the layout (and, honestly, I really do think it is), I can't believe I would see the day a giga is actually coming to Kings Island. I always thought it would never happen since this park "fills the gaps" of Cedar Point's ride collection, such as having a plethora of woodies, a B&M Hyper, previously a flying coaster, indoor coaster, family coasters, etc. Hopefully this ride separates itself from Millennium Force, Fury, and Leviathan.

I think 2020 is going to outdo 2018 as one of the best years for new roller coasters in the US.

Plus we know nothing about the theme at this point. It sounds like Copperhead Strike has good reviews, and I'm fairly impressed with Mystic Timbers. Maybe that's what'll make this ride, but again, we know virtually nothing at this point. I'm still decently skeptical about the leaked layout prints.

I guess I should point out part of the reason everyone on KIC is freaking out is that they have the foundation layout for the lift hill and drop. According to the document the lift is at 40 degrees with no way to determine the drop but people are assuming something between 80 and 85 degrees. The footers have locations accurate to fractions of an inch.

According to trig the lift is only 285 feet tall. It’s a giga style coaster and not even a real giga. The document was filed with the city so they could start construction soon, so it pretty much has to be real.

And if it's not a "true giga" who cares? It's a new B&M hyper/giga. It'll be a fun ride even if it doesn't shatter records.

I would love for CP to even add another one. Rides can offer completely different rides and experiences even having near identical stats on paper. My fanboy wet dream is for CP to add a B&M Giga to compliment Millennium Force.

And if it's not a "true giga" who cares? It's a new B&M hyper/giga. It'll be a fun ride even if it doesn't shatter records.

Because its.... wasted potential?

I mean yes, obviously any B&M is going to be a good ride, but the disapointment is stemming from that it might not do enough to separate itself from the B&M hyper the park already has.

You already have enough of the general public (and even some enthusiasts), who find it weird to have Leviathan and Fury in the same parks as Behemoth, and Intimidator.

If this really does come out to be only 285 ft, with a drop barely scratching 300 ft, with a length that could end up being even shorter than Diamondback, I feel you're going to have even more people, whether the label is justified or not, view this as "just a taller Diamondback". Its bad enough Leviathan is comparable to hypers in length (without the intesnity of I305 to make up for it), but this? Might even be shorter than that?

Don't get me wrong, I'll be willing to reserve full judgment until we truly know all the details via official announcement (and I actually ride it), but I I am kind of puzzled on what I've seen so far...

I believe it is justified to be concerned with this.

Something about this just.... doesn't seem right....

Edited by Intamin_coyote

Imagine a world where people are concerned about getting a 285-ft B&M

I think also based on my understanding of those plans the scale is way off, showing a station that's like 25 feet long or something. So it's most likely still going to be a Giga and the armchair math is just wrong. However, the general concern is that if the layout leak is legit, it's won't be as long or complex as people are hoping.

I still think a lot of this could be complete red herrings. We know absolutely nothing about those "leaks." Plus, as others have said, those top-down images don't do justice to what the ride will actually be like.

You already have enough of the general public (and even some enthusiasts), who find it weird to have Leviathan and Fury in the same parks as Behemoth, and Intimidator.....

You do? I, personally, have not ran into anyone at carowinds who feels like that. I have ran into people who prefer one over the other and they both seem to keep a line so I don't think as many people as you think find it weird and virtually everyone is glad that they both are in the same park as they offer two totally different experiences.

If 15' will make or break a new coaster for you in a park packed with great rides it may be time to take a break from this hobby.

Or if you're disappointed in a ride before the first footer is even poured. It may be time to start knitting or something.

Now I'm kinda hoping it is JUST 285' tall. Then in 10 years KI can add a true 300'+ B&M Giga just to watch enthusiasts minds explode.

This thing isn't stopping at 285 feet. It's going to be within the giga classification. CF/KI wants to be able to market this roller coaster as 300 feet, or at the very least the drop will be 300 feet.

I could never imagine being upset with a Giga even if it dropped right into the brakes.

Yeah... That's a little excessive.

Also, a top-down view of a coaster's layout hardly does it justice. Any coaster's layout (especially hypers/gigas) look uninteresting from that view.

After you said that I looked at a lot of top-down views of other hypers/gigas and you're right.

You already have enough of the general public who find it weird to have Leviathan and Fury in the same parks as Behemoth, and Intimidator.

GP? Nah. Even very few enthusiasts thought it was weird to have those combinations in the park after the first week Leviathan was open and the reviews came out. I also don't hear anyone who visits Holiday World who are puzzled because there are three similarly constructed wooden coasters in the park with different layouts. This will work.

Imagine a world where people are concerned about getting a 285-ft B&M

I think also based on my understanding of those plans the scale is way off, showing a station that's like 25 feet long or something. So it's most likely still going to be a Giga and the armchair math is just wrong. However, the general concern is that if the layout leak is legit, it's won't be as long or complex as people are hoping.

I still think a lot of this could be complete red herrings. We know absolutely nothing about those "leaks." Plus, as others have said, those top-down images don't do justice to what the ride will actually be like.

I think that discrepancy has already been accounted for. The lift according to the scale used on the sheet shouldn't even be 200ft tall and in fact maybe pushes 150. Someone measured a footer and found it to be off by a factor of 2, putting the lift right about where people think it is now at 285-300ft.

Ask yourself... When was the last time professional GA drawings were leaked and were *NOT* real?

Exactly…

Don’t buy into the conspiracy theories. Those drawings are the real.

The drawings with just the footers on them are from the Mason city hall and are 100% real, but apparently flawed as I just mentioned above. The layout drawings were "accidentally" leaked by some guy on KIC who supposedly violated an NDA and ended up causing a lot of drama on there. I had personally bought into the idea that they were a fake leak, but given the level of detail in the drawing I have to agree with you. I highly doubt they're faked.

GP? Nah. Even very few enthusiasts thought it was weird to have those combinations in the park after the first week Leviathan was open and the reviews came out. I also don't hear anyone who visits Holiday World who are puzzled because there are three similarly constructed wooden coasters in the park with different layouts. This will work.

They'll certainly notice and will definitely think it's weird at first. Give the GP some credit. Will they hate the old hyper because of the new giga? No. Will they skip out on the giga because they've already ridden the hyper? No. They'll like both of them still because they're both good rides. They'll end up picking their favorite of the two because they're very different rides. Of course it'll work, but you can bet your bottom dollar a good percentage of them will think its weird.

My math says the lift is just about 300, could easily be a few feet off so its possible its like 310. But either way there is a small slope in front of the lift. I think that slope is where the records will come from and the drop is likely around 330, might hit 340 feet, could even give it a higher top speed then Fury.