TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

What a f%cking total disappointment to walk in and see a pizza place, ice cream, an arcade and a Burger King or whatever crap was in there!

even less German than a Burger King. Panda Express!

And elsewhere in Oktoberfest there's also Hank's Burrito Shack.

But to be fair, IIRC during Winterfest they had some kind of shcnitzel or authentic German food stand set up. So yes, current management thankfully is at least TRYING to bring back much of the original charm it once had (as with other areas of the park).

We'll be making our first visit to KI in a month at Coasterstock. We've done ACE events at several parks but never a park sponsored event before. It was my son's choice for his 16th birthday. Have enjoyed all the other CedarFair parks we've been to, so looking forward to the weekend.

Anyone else see this? People on the first 40 trains of Beast get a commemorative T-shirt.

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 1.13.36 PM.png[/attachment]

Instagram

Man I really want to get that shirt but I'm wondering how crazy early I'd have to arrive to get on the first 40 trains? At least KI is good with organizing crowds (such as when Timbers was new) so I feel pretty confident that they'd lead people down so it wouldn't be a mad rush.

The Beast is the only coaster open for early entry in April so I assume if you get there at 9:30 and if you head straight there it should be no problem getting on one of the first 40 trains. I know I'll be on one of the first 40, if not the very first one!!

Another year of amazing fun at Kings Island is here! If you’re ranking sentences, that one is probably pretty high up there on your list, right?

With the countdown to Gold and Platinum Passholder Preview Night on April 19 and Opening Day on April 20 down to single digits, here are some storylines that have made the 2019 season one of the most highly-anticipated in Kings Island’s 47-year history.

Antique Cars return

When Kings Island’s guests were asked in recent years what they would like to see return to the park, the most popular response, by far, was the antique cars, an attraction that operated from the park’s opening in 1972 to 2004. For many, it was an attraction they remembered riding with family and friends, or it was their first “driving” experience as a child, and one of the reasons why it held a special place in their hearts. The beloved attraction has returned this year with the new Kings Mills Antique Autos. The ride will be similar to the original Les Taxis, but with a few new enhancements. Guests will board 2/3 scare replicas of the 1911 Ford Model T and enjoy a leisurely three-minute journey. The ride’s name, along with its theming, will make the experience even more nostalgic for guests.

International Street reimagined

When Kings Island opens for the 2019 season, guests will notice that International Street has undergone a major makeover. Buildings have been refreshed, pavers have been replaced, and the Royal Fountain will delight park guests when the new fireworks finale and day and night fountain shows make their debut over Memorial Day weekend.

The Beast 40th anniversary

This year marks the 40th anniversary of the world’s longest wooden roller coaster, The Beast, and Kings Island will celebrate the anniversary in a special way by turning back the clock with a throwback to the original “flame-themed” color scheme on each of the coaster’s three trains and the return of the paw prints on the midway leading to the entrance of the ride. On Opening Day, April 20, riders on the first 40 trains after the park officially opens at 10 a.m. will receive a free Beast 40th anniversary t-shirt.

Miami River Brewhouse

Kings Island will continue to build on its dining experience in 2019 with the opening of a new restaurant. The Miami River Brewhouse is located in the Rivertown area of the park directly across from the award-winning Mystic Timbers roller coaster. The menu, personally crafted by Kings Island’s Executive Chef, James Major, will feature taps from the finest local breweries and well as appetizers, gourmet sandwiches and premium burgers.

Restored Festhaus Glockenspiel characters

When Kings Island opens for the 2019 season, guests will get a glimpse of the fully-restored Festhaus Glockenspiel characters and new clock. For 10 years, the memorable features sat dormant. More than 100 hours were put in to restoring the Glockenspiel and main entrance. The restored items include stencil work on the characters and on the new The Verdin Company clock.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2019/april/top-storylines-as-kings-island-begins-2019-season

A recap of all the nice little touches being added this year.

While I won't be there opening weekend, Friday/Saturday can't get here soon enough because I'm excited to see what teasers, if any, are present by Firehawk's old spot.

You want to know why Kings Island doesn't want to pay to paint a 7000+ foot long wooden coaster that nobody can see?

Cant see?

Sure you can. The lift. Turnaround from the station, view of it from the tower/wind sleeper. There are other wooden coasters in the woods that are painted as well.

Besides that, doesn't painting the wood extend its lifetime?

images.jpg.ff86238b32b1280d930c6ed4797acbf0.jpg

This year marks the 40th anniversary of the world’s longest wooden roller coaster, The Beast, and Kings Island will celebrate the anniversary in a special way by turning back the clock with a throwback to the original “flame-themed” color scheme on each of the coaster’s three trains and the return of the paw prints on the midway leading to the entrance of the ride. On Opening Day, April 20, riders on the first 40 trains after the park officially opens at 10 a.m. will receive a free Beast 40th anniversary t-shirt.

Based on this I'm guessing early entry riders will not get shirts until after 10? But if we're already in the area I guess we can snag one ASAP when the park opens.

I'll be there Friday and Saturday morning with friends so if you see me, say hi!

Besides that, doesn't painting the wood extend its lifetime?

Once upon a time, yes. That's why you see most of the classic coasters as well as old picket fences, etc. painted white. The paint provided a layer of protection to the wood. However, these days we have treated lumber so the paint is no longer necessary for the durability of the wood.

And as far as the land clearing goes; with it being this early, it really does make one believe this could be quite the sizable project.

I'm calling it to be an entirely new kids/family area right now. Cedar Point has 3, Dollywood just put one in...this is the way of the future.

98% sarcastic, but this would piss the enthusiasts off something fierce.

Some on here might find this interesting. Invertigo is now using the train that was on Stinger at Dorney Park. You can even still see the outline of the logo sticker on the train. I always hated invertigo and found it rough but it was super smooth with the Stinger train! Still not the biggest fan of the ride but at least it's rideable now.

Since I never rode Stinger do I get the credit now that I rode in its train?

And so it begins...

A small part of me is hoping it's something totally unique and different and not found anywhere else, but if this indeed turns out to be a massive B&M Giga that can match (or top) Fury's awesomeness, I won't complain a single bit.

Per the NOC documents unearthed last August, we can pretty much 99.9% says its a B&M at this point, only question is what kind...

And needless to say, most fingers would be crossed for a Giga. Based on how much of an improvement Fury was upon Leviathan built 3 years earlier, I can only imagine what B&M would have in store for a giga built five years after Fury.

Some on here might find this interesting. Invertigo is now using the train that was on Stinger at Dorney Park. You can even still see the outline of the logo sticker on the train. I always hated invertigo and found it rough but it was super smooth with the Stinger train! Still not the biggest fan of the ride but at least it's rideable now.

Since I never rode Stinger do I get the credit now that I rode in its train?

That is interesting. I'll have to look for outline of the logo sticker. That is, when I take my annual obligatory Invertigo ride.

I'm calling it to be an entirely new kids/family area right now. Cedar Point has 3, Dollywood just put one in...this is the way of the future.

98% sarcastic, but this would piss the enthusiasts off something fierce.