TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

It’ll be interesting to see if CF is on a mission to rid their parks of fliers in the same way they are hellbent in ridding the parks of stand-ups. For those hoping Firehawk will be replaced with a B&M version... I think if CF had any interest, they would have jumped on that bandwagon back when fliers were in vogue. It just ain’t happening, and the removal of Firehawk just solidifies that.

While I don't see KI getting a new flyer, I don't think we should jump to the conclusion that the whole chain is going to rid the parks of fliers. They do provide a very unique ride experience. I'm sure the issue for KI was mostly just capacity and maintenance. That being said, there aren't very many other fliers in the chain, and if the others have maintenance issues the individual parks may find it more profitable to remove them than to keep them around. I don't think it'd be related to a chain decision, but it may happen. Like it has been said, if Firehawk gets scrapped it will likely provide parts for Nighthawk, hopefully improving the ride experience and keeping it profitable for Carowinds.

Plus, there's always the possibility that Firehawk moves somewhere else in the chain. Other parks with lower attendance and fewer big rides could definitely use it, as has been pointed out.

However, if Firehawk gets scrapped and Nighthawk closes within the next couple of years, I'll stand corrected.

It’ll be interesting to see if CF is on a mission to rid their parks of fliers in the same way they are hellbent in ridding the parks of stand-ups. For those hoping Firehawk will be replaced with a B&M version... I think if CF had any interest, they would have jumped on that bandwagon back when fliers were in vogue. It just ain’t happening, and the removal of Firehawk just solidifies that.

I don't think it's going to be a flyer, but I don't think your point is necessary valid with CP not choosing fliers, because they're past their peak. Parks had pretty much stopped building inverted coasters when KI built Banshee.

I also don't think CF is on a mission to get rid of flyers. Firehawk was costly to maintain, but more importantly, KI may be using that land for a future addition. It will be even more dead over where without Firehawk, so I would imagine we'd see a new ride entrance exactly where Firehawk is. It will be even more indicative of this if the station and queue stay after the ride is removed. It's also smart to send the Firehawk trains to Carowinds to use them for parts.

I guess the conversation is irrelevant either way.

So, it seems like Fury 325 really hit the mark. I think there's a pretty good possibility of KI getting a B&M giga, as many others think. If that's the case, when should we expect to see signs of land clearing?

A Vekoma flyer meets its demise?

[attachment=0]dirtoffya.gif[/attachment]

IMO Flyers were one of the (very) few things Vekoma actually did well, particularly Firehawk, which was the smoothest of three.

I thought the ride itself was fine. However, its "overall experience", factoring in capacity and reliability, was pretty bad, which is why I'm ok with it leaving.

Though I'm certainly not going to be dancing on its grave like many others are already doing.

----

Now if some SLC's were to bite the dust, that's something I could celebrate.

I don't think it's going to be a flyer, but I don't think your point is necessary valid with CP not choosing fliers, because they're past their peak. Parks had pretty much stopped building inverted coasters when KI built Banshee.

True, but CF has a long history of building inverts. Almost every one of their parks has one, most of them built when CF owned the park. CF themselves have built exactly zero fliers. That’s what I was getting at. I don’t think they have any interest.

I mean after Firehawk leaves (and I realize it could be sent to another CF park, we don’t know yet) the entire chain will only have two fliers left. All I ever said was it would be interesting if the others followed suit. Before the hints started getting dropped, I would have thought Firehawk was the safest of the three fliers in the chain, being the most modern model. Just goes to show parks have a lot more data on this kind of stuff than us enthusiasts can imagine

I honestly don't think that flying coasters ever peaked. Paramount bought Stealth, Six Flags bought Vekoma's other two. Ever since Six Flags installed the three Superman coasters, there's always been a new flying coaster or two popping up every few years.

You know how Six Flags is, they like to take a coaster concept and copy-paste it everywhere. The fact that three Superman Ultimate Flight flying coasters were built at the same time isn't really evidence that flying coasters were "the cool new thing". They've always been "just another coaster type", though a coaster type that's pretty freaking fun.

I'd be shocked if Nighthawk goes anywhere for the foreseeable future.

Please don't take away my hope.

Plot twist: Firehawk replaces Nighthawk and Nighthawk gets scrapped

So, it seems like Fury 325 really hit the mark. I think there's a pretty good possibility of KI getting a B&M giga, as many others think. If that's the case, when should we expect to see signs of land clearing?

While CF can be a bit predictable in that way, I hope not. I'm holding out for an RMC hyper. A ground-up topper track coaster. The world's tallest wooden coaster(again)! Yes, CF loves B&M a little too much, but recently Twisted Timbers and Steel Vengeance have proved to be hits, so I could see them working with RMC again. Seeing as they're installing a Mack multi-launch looper in 2019, I could really see anything happening.

While CF can be a bit predictable in that way, I hope not. I'm holding out for an RMC hyper. A ground-up topper track coaster. The world's tallest wooden coaster(again)! Yes, CF loves B&M a little too much, but recently Twisted Timbers and Steel Vengeance have proved to be hits, so I could see them working with RMC again. Seeing as they're installing a Mack multi-launch looper in 2019, I could really see anything happening.

Even though yes B&M seems more likely to be their next coaster, an RMC hyper would tie into the crazy rumors of the SOB revival.

I honestly don't think that flying coasters ever peaked. Paramount bought Stealth, Six Flags bought Vekoma's other two. Ever since Six Flags installed the three Superman coasters, there's always been a new flying coaster or two popping up every few years.

You know how Six Flags is, they like to take a coaster concept and copy-paste it everywhere. The fact that three Superman Ultimate Flight flying coasters were built at the same time isn't really evidence that flying coasters were "the cool new thing". They've always been "just another coaster type", though a coaster type that's pretty freaking fun.

Maybe F.L.Y. will change this?

I could be imagining things, but weren't there documents to suggest that there was a B&M coming to KI?

I'm sofa king tired if everyone constantly jizzing over RMC.

You are correct the park filled documents with the county which states they have a contract with B&M for a project which will be completed in 2020. The last time the park filled this paperwork was with GCI which turned out to be Mystic Timbers.

I could be imagining things, but weren't there documents to suggest that there was a B&M coming to KI?

I'm sofa king tired if everyone constantly jizzing over RMC.

You are correct the park filled documents with the county which states they have a contract with B&M for a project which will be completed in 2020. The last time the park filled this paperwork was with GCI which turned out to be Mystic Timbers.

The documents were for additions and enhancements for 2018-2020. The park got something from B&M this year....new seats for Diamondback. Doesn't mean there won't be a B&M for 2020, but it was brought up elsewhere.

With regards to the removal of Firehawk, I am in the camp of being happy that something bigger and better will replace it. It was an okay ride, so if they relocated it to Michigan's Adventure, Valleyfair, KK or Worlds Of Fun, I would likely ride it if I went to one of those parks.

But that awfully sloooooowwwwww dispatching though...yuk.

The documents were for additions and enhancements for 2018-2020. The park got something from B&M this year....new seats for Diamondback. Doesn't mean there won't be a B&M for 2020, but it was brought up elsewhere.

The only people who believe that it is referring to the seats do not understand the document, did not read it, or did not look at the dates on the document. But in short it was filled months after the seats were replaced and it is a warning that work with the following companies would begin soon.

While it’s possible it is not a new coaster I have yet to read a single credible alternate explanation.

The only people who believe that it is referring to the seats do not understand the document, did not read it, or did not look at the dates on the document. But in short it was filled months after the seats were replaced and it is a warning that work with the following companies would begin soon.

While it’s possible it is not a new coaster I have yet to read a single credible alternate explanation.

I'm interested. Were these documents posted earlier in the forum/are they available to view somewhere?

This popped up in the KK forum. I'm starting to doubt my doubts, the timing seems a little too impeccable...

(Sunday, September 30th)

kkannouncement2019.jpg

I hope Firehawk doesn't get scrapped. I thought it and Batwing were good rides. Good, not great. Definitely unique and I love that flying loop. Nighthawk on the other hand...oof. You can tell it's the prototype...ouch.

It would be interesting if they could somehow save the ride and reconfigure it. We all know maintenance and capacity were two big factors in it being removed. If somehow those wacky trains could be improved I think it would be a good coaster for Worlds of Fun, Valleyfair or Michigan's adventure. Maybe get rid of the dual loading station and change the trains to have simple pull-down vest type OTSR's like the B&M flyers and they could fly again somewhere else.

Wishful thinking I'm sure...