TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

If it's just Emily and I, we will most definitely hit you up!

If Emily's sister and her brother-in-law go, it depends on what they want to do. My brother-in-law, although my best friend who I've known since HS, can be kind of passive aggressive if we do something he doesn't want to do. If he gets bitchy it's always a real buzz kill by being quiet and shutting down on being fun. Last time we went he was pretty much into marathoning rides and drinking beer as much as possible, which was a surprise. (He's hooked, now.) They're not quite sure if they can go yet, because he may have to go out of town for work. We're shooting for 10/20.

Please be Vortex!

With Dorney having removed Stinger I also would not be surprised if Invertigo was removed. However, I doubt that would play into anything for the rumored 2020 B&M. Except maybe a turn around or station area for a "gate coaster."

It'll be fun to watch this develop over the next year until 2020 is announced.

Vortex can rot in hell...lol

Seriously though, it was my least liked coaster in the park. It's crazy I enjoyed all the Vekoma's more than that aging Arrow creation. I appreciate the history and look of it, as it's very picturesque. There are a lot of pretty coasters that are just horrible in regards to rider experience...Vortex is at the top of that list for me.

Even though Vortex's popularity has been declining gradually over the years, it still give more rides than people think (it's a people eater - so yes there will be many times when it's a straight walk-on, but lines don't necessarily indicate ridership!)

5a0c944c0934c_http_2F2Fbelle_zzxc.net2Ffun2Fki-ride-records-2014.thumb.jpg.d5da904a8fb6d0255db04f834c6c8587.jpg

As of 2014, it still got over 1m riders.

Granted, it's probably well below that by now, but I could imagine its still in the 750k range.

As far as I know, Arrow loopers are among the most inexpensive coasters to operate (as is most sit-down coasters with a traditional chain lift.)

Whatever Vortex's ridership is now, I still don't think the yearly total operating cost / # of riders is high enough to justify its removal.

Even though Vortex's popularity has been declining gradually over the years, it still give more rides than people think (it's a people eater - so yes there will be many times when it's a straight walk-on, but lines don't necessarily indicate ridership!)

5a0c944c0934c_http_2F2Fbelle_zzxc.net2Ffun2Fki-ride-records-2014.thumb.jpg.d5da904a8fb6d0255db04f834c6c8587.jpg

Granted, it's probably well below that by now, but I could imagine its still in the 750k range.

As far as I know, Arrow loopers are among the most inexpensive coasters to operate (as is most sit-down coasters with a traditional chain lift.)

Whatever Vortex's ridership is now, I still don't think the yearly total operating cost / # of riders is high enough to justify its removal.

Where does that ridership info come from? I love that.

Anyway, I generally agree with you but I also know most of the Arrow mega-loopers have been removed in recent years so I wonder if they just have a shelf life due to their design. I mean honestly couldn’t it come down to how thick the tubular steel track is or something as simple as that? At a certain point a steel coaster requires retracking or removal and obviously due to cost most just get removed. I wish they could just replace track easily like a wooden coaster.

I don't think it's for Invertigo. At least that ride is much more reliable than Stinger ever was. Besides, in order to make way for a "gate coaster" you have to do something with Bat and the old Timber Wolf site.

I have a feeling it could be Vortex and it would make sense if it is closing in 2018 to make way for what's coming in 2020. Kings Island has needed to focus on livening up that back corner of Coney Mall. Losing Vortex would be sad but given my last rides on it back in July I think it's time to retire it.

Thanks for the ridership table, really helps put things in perspective.

I like Vortex and Invertigo just fine. Neither is getting me to go to the park, but I ride both while I'm there and enjoy them. If they were to remove either one, I wouldn't shed a tear, especially if they get something as good as their last 3 coasters.

My guess would be Vortex based on the line "The air is eerily calm." That's a nice sized piece of land for a floorless to keep a "traditional" looper. That seems to me to none the most likely type of B&M. That or maybe a wing.

My guess would be Vortex based on the line "The air is eerily calm."

That has me thinking Vortex as well (unless it's Windseeker, for some reason). I have an irrational love of Arrow Megaloopers, so I'm hoping that's just a throwaway line, and not a hint.

Where does that ridership info come from? I love that.

Anyway, I generally agree with you but I also know most of the Arrow mega-loopers have been removed in recent years so I wonder if they just have a shelf life due to their design. I mean honestly couldn’t it come down to how thick the tubular steel track is or something as simple as that? At a certain point a steel coaster requires retracking or removal and obviously due to cost most just get removed. I wish they could just replace track easily like a wooden coaster.

I'm just glad to see Snoopy's Flume Dawg is holding strong at the middle of the pack. Keep it forever.

Edited by prozach626

I've seen a lot of comments on social media all but begging for it to be Firehawk. Am I the only one that loves that ride? I know most people aren't quite as much of a fan of it as I am, but I didn't think I'd see people wanting to see it torn down.

King's Island has such a good lineup though, there's really nothing I wouldn't be a little sad to see gone. Adventure Express would be tolerable, Vortex would only be missed a little, almost anything else would be pretty sad.

Anything but The Bat, though. We're losing those coasters too fast, and The Bat is definitely the best one we have left...

I've seen a lot of comments on social media all but begging for it to be Firehawk. Am I the only one that loves that ride? I know most people aren't quite as much of a fan of it as I am, but I didn't think I'd see people wanting to see it torn down.

King's Island has such a good lineup though, there's really nothing I wouldn't be a little sad to see gone. Adventure Express would be tolerable, Vortex would only be missed a little, almost anything else would be pretty sad.

Anything but The Bat, though. We're losing those coasters too fast, and The Bat is definitely the best one we have left...

I have no idea where the next project will be but I'd imagine it in that XBase area due to the forest right there. I hope Firehawk is out. Regardless if you like Vekoma Flyers you have to love the potential more.

I could see Drop Zone out because of the downtime in recent years. Hmm. Vortex nahh. Just not yet. Invertigo wouldn't be missed.

I hope it isn't Firehawk either. I just love that flying coaster as it is quite an adrenaline rush! As for the other coasters rumoured for removal, I would be sad to see them go too as I greatly enjoyed all of them during my July 2014 and June 2016 visits. Unfortunately nothing lasts forever, but thankfully I do have some wonderful photos and memories riding the coasters rumoured for removal at Kings Island during my two visits to the park.