TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Dammit.

The park was really hoping that this announcement of a small family ride would give people in Germany the incentive they needed to finally pull the trigger on that trans-continental flight to Mason they had been dreaming of for years and years. Oh well.

Edited by coasterbill

Is it a nice addition? Yes. Will it be good for families? Yes. Will it hopefully begin to bring some life back to the old Midway area of the park? Sure.

Did it need to be announced on National Roller Coaster Day? Probably not. I think if they had made this announcement yesterday, people probably wouldn't be getting quite so worked up about it.

Personally, I kind of expected something like this (especially once I saw the press kit that went out with a tiny little Ford key in the back of the scrapbook), but I was also kind of hoping for it to be part of a full Midway area revitalization with some love on Racer (and maybe a backwards train again?) and some more flats and landscaping and lighting and stuff like Cedar Point did around Gemini. I understand that we can't always get what we want though, and I'm now looking forward to whatever B&M goodness comes in 2020.

Dammit.

The park was really hoping that this announcement of a small family ride would give people in Germany the incentive they needed to finally pull the trigger on that trans-continental flight to Mason they had been dreaming of for years and years. Oh well.

giphy.gif

Literally yesterday, Kings Island said that they were going to make an announcement today. I'm absolutely laughing at the people who say that this announcement is "over-hyped", especially in the Facebook/Instagram livestream comments.

But with that said though, the more antique car rides in this world, the better.

but I was also kind of hoping for it to be part of a full Midway area revitalization with some love on Racer (and maybe a backwards train again?)...

I eventually ruled out the "backwards Racer" idea since at this year's Coasterstock event during Q&A, they said Racer was never really designed to be running backwards in the first place.

Between 19:50 - 20:40 mark in this video:

but I was also kind of hoping for it to be part of a full Midway area revitalization with some love on Racer (and maybe a backwards train again?)...

I eventually ruled out the "backwards Racer" idea since at this year's Coasterstock event during Q&A, they said Racer was never really designed to be running backwards in the first place.

I've heard that before, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be done. No idea how many hoops it would take (or how much it'd cost), but if they really wanted to, I'm sure there's a way.

People tend to forgot how awesome these rides are for kids. I absolutely loved all these types of rides when I was young because all I ever wanted to do was be able to drive something.

Of course when you get older and end up driving all the time and have to deal with traffic your interest isn't going to be there for something like this but this is still an awesome addition and families will love it.

I thought it was a bad decision when Paramount took the antique cars out so I'm very pleased they are coming back. I cringed at some of the comments I read on Facebook - sounded like people are already bored with Mystic Timbers and want that new coaster already.

I do remember when they used them for Haunt (I believe it was 2002 or 2003 as Route 666) and it was one of the best haunt attractions I've experienced with the scareactors jumping out at you.

I honestly feel a bit bad for the park, Don, and whoever else runs all their social media. I mean, these screen shots below on our Twitter just point out some of the "false hype" and "fake news" that coaster fans have been fabricating on their own and then blaming the park for. I can only imagine if TPR is getting some of this what the park must be going through. I don't even want to open up their Facebook comments or Twitter responses.

The fact that we've already had to block two people on our Twitter and one person from our forum over "Antique Cars" just proves how low humanity has sunk. I mean, if you're going act so stupid and childish as to get yourself banned from a social media platform, holy crap make it over something more significant, please!

2000838925_ScreenShot2018-08-16at5_37_47PM.png.3185128372d86c5d720d2719ceba564a.png

1908278707_ScreenShot2018-08-16at5_37_54PM.png.7dafb490972514cc349c3542040a844b.png

1972109298_ScreenShot2018-08-16at5_38_03PM.png.3331f1a61260e4909a805d11f24dbb78.png

I love it. Great announcement and just enough to piss off people that rushed to judgement.

2020 seemed the likelier year for another big coaster, and they will likely get it...just gotta have patience.

But when that time comes, I wonder how many enthusiasts will get their panties in a wad if they announce that it's a dive coaster and not a 300' tall RMC remake of Son Of Beast? lol

Facebook has been a cesspool today. I’ve seen tons (and I mean tons) of posts calling for the entire PR team to be fired, I’ve seen tons of people complaining about the fact that the park had the audacity to announce this on National Roller Coaster Day (a holiday which falls somewhere between National Pancake day and National Thriftshop day on the list of American holidays by importance) and tons of people freaking out about the park overhyping this even though they didn’t even say that they were doing anything until YESTERDAY.

I mean look... I admit that I sometimes seek this sh*t out because it’s like watching a car accident in slow motion and it’s hard to look away. Boldikus and I have been known to invite eachother to the most cringeworthy enthusiast groups we can find as a joke just to see how long the other one can take it (looking at you “Hersheypark connoisseurs” and “Amusement Park Enthusiasts”) but the fact is these people live among us and aren’t in on the joke. They’re being completely serious and they’re horrible, horrible people. I have no idea how park PR departments put up with this sh*t on a daily basis.

I honestly feel a bit bad for the park, Don, and whoever else runs all their social media. I mean, these screen shots below on our Twitter just point out some of the "false hype" and "fake news" that coaster fans have been fabricating on their own and then blaming the park for. I can only imagine if TPR is getting some of this what the park must be going through. I don't even want to open up their Facebook comments or Twitter responses.

The fact that we've already had to block two people on our Twitter and one person from our forum over "Antique Cars" just proves how low humanity has sunk. I mean, if you're going act so stupid and childish as to get yourself banned from a social media platform, holy crap make it over something more significant, please!

Yuuuuuuup. I don't understand why people feel the need to hate on things. If it's not for you, then it just doesn't factor in your decision to go or not. That's the end of it.

This is a fantastic smack down.

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 5.37.47 PM.png[/attachment]

[attachment=1]Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 5.37.54 PM.png[/attachment]

[attachment=2]Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 5.38.03 PM.png[/attachment]

tons of people freaking out about the park overhyping this even though they didn’t even say that they were doing anything until YESTERDAY.

I don't frequent this thread that much so I had no idea that people were self-hyping the Racer or SoB rumors or any of that crap until today when I was doing more research. The first time I saw the park say ANYTHING about an announcement was yesterday. I assumed, based on how much lead time we normally get on a bigger announcement that this would be something fairly minor yet enjoyable. I also assumed since there have been some discoveries recently of a B&M possibly going in for 2020 that they wouldn't be putting in two major additions back to back.

Maybe I'm just smarter that your average coaster nerd (I doubt it) but I easily put two and two together thinking this wouldn't be anything huge and I most certainly didn't hear *ANY* hype for it at all!

Boldikus and I have been known to invite eachother to the most cringeworthy enthusiast groups we can find as a joke just to see how long the other one can take it (looking at you “Hersheypark connoisseurs” and “Amusement Park Enthusiasts”) but the fact is these people live among us and aren’t in on the joke. They’re being completely serious and they’re horrible, horrible people. I have no idea how park PR departments put up with this sh*t on a daily basis.

Why do you think we stopped catering to your stereotypical "coaster enthusiast" on the forums, closed our tours from having just anyone join, and are so quick to block and ban people from our socials and our forums? It's bad enough I'm seeing some names come through for West Coast Bash registrations that make me go "uggggghhhhhhh!" (we'll see just how long I have the patience to put on that event.)

Quite frankly, we don't WANT those people part of TPR at all. The further we can distance ourselves away from most coaster enthusiasts the better. And if that makes us more of a self-appointed "elitist" group (which I've heard people call TPR) then I'm 100% totally fine with that!

The older I get the less time and patience I have for idiot people who want to do nothing but "shitposting" (which is a thing I will still never understand. Why would you want to be dumb on purpose?)

Sorry, I ranted there for a moment. I'll stop now....

GO VINTAGE CARS! YAY!!!!

Edited by robbalvey

I read somewhere that they picked today because of this:

14 years ago on this very day, Les Taxis, the original antique cars ride, closed forever to make way for the Backlot Stunt Coaster. In memorial to the lost ride, they announced the new cars on the day the original cars closed.

So...I'm kinda happy for 'em. KI has one of the best kid's areas there is, and adding to it just makes it better, really.

^ I agree, it’s a nice addition. Plus Kings Island got an awesome wood coaster last year and a Christmas event that looks to be beautifully done and cut their offseason almost in half. That’s an amazing year. People can’t expect them to duplicate it every single year.

As for the posters, I think everyone should have learned from Twisted Timbers (and the previous year’s outburst over the Planet Snoopy thing) that sometimes Cedar Fair teases things over a year in advance and a little patience is occasionally necessary.

I think it can be interesting to look at the teasers and have fun with them (that is the point) as long as you have the mindset that all the park did was put up a few pictures and any “hype” is being generated in your own head and it’s not the park’s job to live up to your ridiculous pipe dream.

Personally I think these posters *might* mean something... eventually... but if I’m wrong then I’m certainly not going to bitch about it.

Edited by coasterbill

I am beyond happy about this announcement!

This just gives our family another ride option at the park. I think that lately, parks have put family type attractions on the back burner for the big coaster installations.

I always thought if this ride were to return, that it would occupy the old paramount star walk(or whatever it was called) next to the Eiffel tower. It will be interesting to see how they weave it around the racer.

I read somewhere that they picked today because of this:

14 years ago on this very day, Les Taxis, the original antique cars ride, closed forever to make way for the Backlot Stunt Coaster. In memorial to the lost ride, they announced the new cars on the day the original cars closed.

So...I'm kinda happy for 'em. KI has one of the best kid's areas there is, and adding to it just makes it better, really.

Their twitter account just posted that a few minutes ago, so looks to be official.

The uproar really is ridiculous. I admit I was hoping for /something/ to do with the posters and hints at CP, because I'm a sucker for those kind of little hidden clues and such (don't really care if it's RMC, B&M, whatever...I just love the little insider games), but people getting this worked up over it when it was obviously a long shot to start with, acting like the park owes them something...

People just suck sometimes, I suppose?

I like to look at pictures and teasers and try to guess what might be coming or what my ideal addition based on the information given might be. People often act like you're a dumbass if they don't agree with you for some reason, even if it may be a bit of a pipe dream.

I really do not understand how people are going to get upset with the park for not installing a ride they think they should get or deserve for some reason though. Especially in this case. As has been mentioned numerous times, they literally announced this announcement yesterday. How are people going to expect that they were going to announce Grandson of Beast or something after the marketing leadup to Cedar Fair's other major projects the last couple years? Much less get pissy about it? Come on.

Everyone is hopeful for big projects, or even some meaningful work for Racer, which I suggested could be the case along with others. But they are bringing back a family ride, and that's just fine, it is what it is. It's good for the park and I don't get how anyone is mad about this...ridiculous. Especially to be going after the park about it and not just bitching to other echo chamber enthusiasts. I'm pretty far down on the end the spectrum as far as "enthusiasm" goes, and I'm embarrassed by this.

Seeing KI's announcement, how cool would it be for Cedar Point to actually get back their Vintage Cars ride that they took out for Valravn? Taking Witches' Wheel spot and extending them into Gemini's structure would be a nice way to troll enthusiasts.

Facebook has been a cesspool today. I’ve seen tons (and I mean tons) of posts calling for the entire PR team to be fired, I’ve seen tons of people complaining about the fact that the park had the audacity to announce this on National Roller Coaster Day (a holiday which falls somewhere between National Pancake day and National Thriftshop day on the list of American holidays by importance) and tons of people freaking out about the park overhyping this even though they didn’t even say that they were doing anything until YESTERDAY.

I mean look... I admit that I sometimes seek this sh*t out because it’s like watching a car accident in slow motion and it’s hard to look away. Boldikus and I have been known to invite eachother to the most cringeworthy enthusiast groups we can find as a joke just to see how long the other one can take it (looking at you “Hersheypark connoisseurs” and “Amusement Park Enthusiasts”) but the fact is these people live among us and aren’t in on the joke. They’re being completely serious and they’re horrible, horrible people. I have no idea how park PR departments put up with this sh*t on a daily basis.

How can this post make me die laughing and then want to cry?

Quit fucking with my emotions, Bill!