TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

^Agreed. It seems unlikely they would make some major announcement with so little advance notice. Definitely interested to see what it is.

On another note, is King's Island similar to other parks in that the crowds increase as Haunt goes along? I am thinking of making a trip out the first or second weekend of Haunt and was curious, as when I went Oct. 21 last year it was absolutely packed.

Not to stir the SOB pot again, but I visited the park yesterday and took some photos of the mystery wood that appeared by the SOB memorial in Banshee line.

IMG_0184.thumb.jpg.9005ce4b4ed565ef5110108232f74f62.jpgIMG_0186.thumb.jpg.0b75fc8802c54ccc3f277955baf764d2.jpg

I'm thinking this announcement is most likely the long-rumored antique cars, unless it could be some kind of show or event that's returning? I'm actually off tomorrow so I might try to turn up for it. I was already considering going to KI tomorrow but now this gives me another reason to go!

On another note, is King's Island similar to other parks in that the crowds increase as Haunt goes along? I am thinking of making a trip out the first or second weekend of Haunt and was curious, as when I went Oct. 21 last year it was absolutely packed.

Last year I visited Haunt at least half of the Fridays it was running, and I can confirm that it does tend to get busier closer to Halloween! Also, Fridays are better than Saturdays, by far, and maze lines get shorter later in the evening.

That's a good find.

While it could obviously mean nothing, I don't think combining something like antique cars with an announcement about Racer upgrades is all that farfetched. If they want to do some general maintenance and play it up as part of the announcement then I'd be all for that. The only notable upgrade I could think of that seems at all realistic is running one of the sides backward again. They could tie it all together with the antique cars as a nice big nostalgiagasm.

I have been hearing rumors about a lighting package for the Racer for a while now. Plus a flat ride.

Likely the old is new is the Racer and the return portion is talking about a flat ride the park has had in the past. Flyers or Antique cars feels like the most likely. Very possible the Racer gets more than just lighting.

Although I am prepared to be disappointed.

I’m not sure how likely this would be but with RMC spotted earlier this year and the tour tomorrow my thought was RMC giving it a topper track treatment and getting Racer new trains.

I’m cool with antique cars too.

Any updates to the Racer will be great.

Do we know what team worked on Racer 75? That was running like brand new. Whoever was behind that project needs to be sent out to any wooden coaster that needs a refresh because it ran beautifully - smooth and had some airtime.

But let's be real. We know what we all want to return the most...

bic.thumb.jpg.28ef1d12c3536224b7b25ed81385754b.jpg

BANSHEE ICE CREAM!!! (credit pintrest)

I doubt RMC for Racer, even topper track. Probably a refurb and hopefully a return of the original paint scheme, and maybe, even more hopefully, the restoration of the last bunny hops before the brake tunnel

Edit: I just remembered there has apparently been some teasing about "the 5" or something on some posters at CP (possible Outpost 5 reference) which has caused some speculation that they might be overhauling and maybe extending Adventure Express, so I guess that's also a possibility. I'd rather see Racer get a nice restoration, though, personally

Screw tomorrows announcement, take a look at 2018-022702 Notice of Commencement

Let's see, "2018, 2019, 2020 Additions & Modifications to Kings Island Park"... Interesting, so this is likely for a project that is not being announced tomorrow but is going to take a lot of time to build.

"has executed contract(s) for the Project with" .... construction companies etc, none of which are that interesting... oh wait "Bolliger & Mabillard"

Well looks like Kings Island is getting a B&M in 2020...

Screw tomorrows announcement, take a look at 2018-022702 Notice of Commencement

Let's see, "2018, 2019, 2020 Additions & Modifications to Kings Island Park"... Interesting, so this is likely for a project that is not being announced tomorrow but is going to take a lot of time to build.

"has executed contract(s) for the Project with" .... construction companies etc, none of which are that interesting... oh wait "Bolliger & Mabillard"

Well looks like Kings Island is getting a B&M in 2020...

This should help people

rx5gn8gbxbg11.png

Not to stir the SOB pot again, but I visited the park yesterday and took some photos of the mystery wood that appeared by the SOB memorial in Banshee line.

[attachment=0]IMG_0184.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]IMG_0186.jpg[/attachment]

I'm thinking this announcement is most likely the long-rumored antique cars, unless it could be some kind of show or event that's returning? I'm actually off tomorrow so I might try to turn up for it. I was already considering going to KI tomorrow but now this gives me another reason to go!

Last year I visited Haunt at least half of the Fridays it was running, and I can confirm that it does tend to get busier closer to Halloween! Also, Fridays are better than Saturdays, by far, and maze lines get shorter later in the evening.

I work at Banshee... THIS IS NOT A TEASER...

This has been there since the beginning of the season. A member of my crew who was supposed to be looking for lost articles found it down the hill and in the trees, and thought it would be nice to have actual part of the ride by the Eternal Flame The flowers were put there by SOB fans.

I repeat, this has NOTHING o do with a new ride or attraction. It was just the Banshee crew paying respect to the former occupant of that area.

Repeat again... BANSHEE CREW FOUND THE WOOD.....

I'm going to throw my official hat in the ring for what's old being new again, being the backwards train on Racer. Additionally, I could see refurbishments to it, and enhancements, such as the lighting package.

I do think that the Antique Cars could be a possibility as well, though it really seems to me that those types of rides have been making their way OUT of parks, not into them - mostly due to maintenance issues. That makes it seem unlikely to me they'll be returning. However, if they do, I definitely agree that the old Dinos Alive area would make a lot of sense for their location!

Regarding the seemingly increased likelihood that B&M will be coming to the park in the next couple of years, I'm still of the opinion that it won't be a Giga, even though it seems that what most enthusiasts want. Personally, I think a Wing coaster, back in the trees, would be a fantastic new coaster, that could feature plenty of "near misses!" Now, that would be more unlikely if the old SOB station is being used, as that cleared out area there wouldn't offer much in the way of "forest". But if they were to either place it in the old Dinos Alive area, or even back where the old Spongebob Show was. Regardless of what is coming, it sounds like KI is going to be getting even more awesome than it already is!

I'm not super familiar with KI history. What rides were beloved but have been removed?

3f5a12e4d89b7bb2be21bd7cd1b8748c.jpg

There's a 0% chance of that happening though. Oh well, I can dream.

Of course.

Antique cars are always fun and good for kids, I would love fpr someone to build a new one. Backwards Racer sounds likely too, something small to tide people over until the big coaster is built.

As for B&M being involved in a 2020 project that begins this year...Giga, dive, or wing? The chance of it being anything else in their catalogue can be rounded to zero.

As for B&M being involved in a 2020 project that begins this year...Giga, dive, or wing? The chance of it being anything else in their catalogue can be rounded to zero.

How about a 300-foot winged dive coaster?

In all seriousness, I'm having a hard time thinking of one too. I think we can rule out a wing coaster with GateKeeper and Thunderbird (arguable the two best) pretty close by, and even X-Flight and Wild Eagle to some extent. I suppose a Dive is possible (maybe a smaller one like Valkyria), but with Valravn and now Yukon Striker, I also have a hard time imagining this as well.

I suppose that leaves Giga, unless they would go with a modern vest-restraint version of a sit-down or floorless looper (because this is CF and we all know they would opt for the vest restraints). Or maybe a new type of family coaster from them. This is a toughie, assuming this whole "B&M 2020" thing isn't just nonsense.

Banshee is in the way of using the SOB station for another coaster

You're right. There is no way there would ever be enough space.

Oh. Wait.

gronalund.jpg

Both comments are equally well done.

The dream is to utilize the wooded area north of Racer that stretches from Flight of Fear down past Racer's turnaround.

Everyone seems to be fixed on that first page, but there are 5 pages. Page 3 of the documents has tons of geographical locations on them, is that detailing where the work is going to be?

3.JPG.7f5e4408505c01190f740679799dec86.JPG

None of the links to the specific doc work, you have to go to http://www.co.warren.oh.us/recorder/ and search for "Kings Island" and you'll get tons of KI docs.