TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

^ Well appently weren't not going to get Fastlane now. Instead we're going go Saturday and Sunday. This is one of the troubles I have with my friends they never want to pay extra for the line pass only because one them can't afford it. So I guess I should ask what we expect from lines on a Saturday and Sunday now since we aren't getting fastlane.

Well (pulling up queue times)...

Diamondback hit 105 minutes yesterday and wasn't much better on Saturday, Mystic Timbers hit 120 both days, Banshee (which never has a line) was between 40 and 50, Beast, Firehawk, Flight of Fear were generall over an hour. Tons of other rides had lines between 30 and 60 minutes. Vortex hit 45 and it's a pile of hot garbage.

Nothing like going to an Amusement Park to spend a day with your friends... Only to ditch them for all of the coaster lines because you want to get more rides in! I mean, to each their own, but I never go to a park alone, and part of the fun and point of going to a park is to spend time with the people I'm with. If I went to a park with a group of friends, and one of them ditched us to use a fast lane, I'd think of them as a douche, and not a very good friend. But that's just me...

Plus, they have the best Amusement Park Halloween Haunt, in my opinion! I'm planning to take my kids and girlfriend there this year, for their first time, in what will probably be my only remaining coaster trip of the year. It's become an annual tradition, as it's SO great!

If you consider Knott's a theme park, then definitely!

Well, I've never been to Knott's Haunt, so I really shouldn't have an opinion on it! However, when I refer to the Haunt experience - at least to me - I'm including the experience of the park ambiance, and especially the coasters I'm able to ride in the dark. Given KI has the best collection of coasters to ride in the dark, that weighs heavily on that statement of mine, and would probably mean I would still prefer it over Knott's, even if I did experience Knott's. I mean, you know me, and my typical lack of interest in the haunt mazes first hand!

Nothing like going to an Amusement Park to spend a day with your friends... Only to ditch them for all of the coaster lines because you want to get more rides in! I mean, to each their own, but I never go to a park alone, and part of the fun and point of going to a park is to spend time with the people I'm with. If I went to a park with a group of friends, and one of them ditched us to use a fast lane, I'd think of them as a douche, and not a very good friend. But that's just me...

Plus, they have the best Amusement Park Halloween Haunt, in my opinion! I'm planning to take my kids and girlfriend there this year, for their first time, in what will probably be my only remaining coaster trip of the year. It's become an annual tradition, as it's SO great!

If you consider Knott's a theme park, then definitely!

Well, I've never been to Knott's Haunt, so I really shouldn't have an opinion on it! However, when I refer to the Haunt experience - at least to me - I'm including the experience of the park ambiance, and especially the coasters I'm able to ride in the dark. Given KI has the best collection of coasters to ride in the dark, that weighs heavily on that statement of mine, and would probably mean I would still prefer it over Knott's, even if I did experience Knott's. I mean, you know me, and my typical lack of interest in the haunt mazes first hand!

^ To be fair I never said I was going to ditch my friends. I could buy FL+ so I can skip the lines then once on I'm off the coaster I can wait at the exit for them. I'm not going to ditch my fiends unless they suggested I do it.

So instead of spending X amount of time standing in line with your friends, you're going to spend X amount of time standing at the exit by yourself waiting for them. Still doesn't sound like a very good friend to me. ::shrug::

If you wanted to be a good friend, you'd buy the FL pass for those who couldn't afford it. Just sayin'.

Does FL+ at Kings Island cost significantly more than a second day's admission? Maybe opt to go to the park just one day and offer to pay the difference between what they would have paid for a second day and the cost of FL+?

I think it starts at $75 for most days, so yeah quite a bit more expensive than the $30 bring a friend tickets for Platinum Pass holders.

Edit - I was thinking of Kings Dominion. FL+ at KI starts at $70 and bring-a-friends start at $16.

Yeah I'm not going to rush to decide what I'm going to do right now. I'll just wait until right before we arrive at the park to decide. Now thanks to Bill I know I can use queue times to check how long the wait times are before we arrive. If they're too long then I'm buying Fastlane plus. However all of this will also depend on what the weather is like.

During our 2016 CP and KI trip...

We were able to ride every coaster at Cedar Point without fast lane (ditto the year before). After being used to the operations of Six Flags Great America, the waits seemed fairly minimal. The year before, I remember Maverick having a 1-hour wait, which was double any other wait.

Although we went to King's Island on a day when they closed at 5PM (private rental?), we rode every roller coaster, many twice, and 3 rides on the Beast, and 9 times on the Flight of Fear. A storm had blown in around 4pm and were among the last people left in the park, hence the Flight of Fear marathon.

Our 2015 CP trip and our 2016 CI/KI combo trip were both late August, just after schools were resuming. Many coasters were practically walk-on and coasters were all we did.

However, our 2017 CP/KI combo trip was during Labor Day weekend. Fast Lane would have been nice at both parks. Again, all we did was the coasters, but we didn't get a chance to cover all of them. The remnants of hurricane Harvey also led to Cedar Point's rides being grounded for some time, and we got soaked as well! I was so disappointed that we didn't get to ride Maverick. Despite the chilly, rainy day, CP was a packed in comparison to our first 2 trips.

We hit KI the next day. The hurricane remnants had long passed Cincinnati and the weather was beautiful and sunny. The park became packed! We ended up skipping both of their Vekomas as well as anything smaller. We ended with a night ride Mystic Timbers, which was an awesome ride. I knew it would be as I am familiar with SFSTL's CCI, American Thunder.

This year may be the odd year out. My group has sort of disbanded, at least temporarily. People have moved on and are busy with their own lives. There is talk that we may still do a CP/KI trip later in the fall, but I know things don't always work out. If we don't get to go this year, and who knows about next year, it will be a real let-down for me. Especially since I have been stoked over Steel Vengeance for over a year now. And I have also been able to hit at least one of my local Six Flags parks each year since 2013. It appears that string will end this year as well.

But this year won't be a total let-down. Back in June, I went on a trip around Lake Michigan with my other group. We climbed lighthouses and sand dunes, went on a catamaran cruise, hiked to waterfalls, etc. Toward the end of the 6-day blast of adventure, I added Michigan's adventure to my amusement park dossier, which becomes the third Cedar Fair park I have visited. Of the 3 of us, we each had a different favorite coaster. Mine was Shivering Timbers. My one friend, the youngest, preferred Thunderhawk, while my other friend, the oldest, preferred Corkscrew.

Give me the busiest Saturday of the summer, and I'll ride every "adult" coaster (save Face Off) by 2 pm.

Just be in line at the gate at least 15 minutes before early entry and tackle the rides in this order:

Mystic Timbers

Diamondback

Flight of Fear

Firehawk

Stunt Coaster

Beast

Vortex

Racer

Adventure Express

Banshee

Bat

As much as I would like for us to get there before opening I know we aren't. We're heading out at 6am and it's a 5+hour drive at least plus the time change. So there's no way we're going to get to the park before 10. I expect were arrive a hour or two after opening. That's why I wanted us to leave Friday since I'm off work and the friend that's driving only works till 10am. I think right now I'm not totally worried about crowds it's the predicted weather for Saturday that concerning me the most.

Although we're going part of the day Sunday so thanks for tip.

I've been at the park for the past several days. The ride operations have been great! Soooo much better than that place to the north... There has been major land clearing behind the Great Wolf Lodge. Not sure if this is the hotel or KI. It's really off the beaten path, behind The Bat. Should be interesting... I love this park so much more than Cedar Point - the food, rides, and most of all the employees. They know customer service!

The park's social media account just tweeted that tomorrow they'll be making an announcement about "what's returning to King's Island."

Granted, there are definitely plenty of things that could "return," but, after those teaser posters and all...

Vortex is front and center in that picture on the tweet. Maybe it's getting the new style trains and a fresh paint job? Doesn't correspond with the aforementioned land clearing, but could be a good solution to revitalize it and keep it around in the long term as one of the dwindling number of big Arrow loopers. A smaller enhancement for next year before whatever larger project comes the following year.

Vortex is front and center in that picture on the tweet. Maybe it's getting the new style trains and a fresh paint job? Doesn't correspond with the aforementioned land clearing, but could be a good solution to revitalize it and keep it around in the long term as one of the dwindling number of big Arrow loopers. A smaller enhancement for next year before whatever larger project comes the following year.

This was my initial thought too, but they did say "find out what's returning to Kings Island" so that would imply something that used to exist is coming back. I guess we'll find out soon.

I'm not super familiar with KI history. What rides were beloved but have been removed?

3f5a12e4d89b7bb2be21bd7cd1b8748c.jpg

There's a 0% chance of that happening though. Oh well, I can dream.

Antique cars make sense, especially because they probably have cars sitting around somewhere ready to go that were removed from some park somewhere in the chain. There's also that Flight Commander pad and the Skyhawk ride they bought for Wonderland a few years ago would be pretty similar and could pay homage to that.

That said... that ride killed someone. Do they really want to pay homage to it?

I'm on the antique cars bandwagon.

Other rides that have been removed that I can think of:

Tumble Bug (no chance of returning, I know!)

Intamin Der Spinnen Keggers

Chance Rotor (no chance of returning unless they are moving Finnish Fling to KI!)

Intamin Flying Dutchman (now at Kentucky Kingdom)

Huss Skylab (nope)

Intamin Zodiac (Double Ferris Wheel, no chance)

Giant Slide (possible...)

Arrow Shuttle Loop (nope!)

Arrow Hydroflume (nope!)

Eli Bridge Ferris Wheel (possible)

and the one ride that would get me to dance down the aisles of my office if it made a return although it has 0% chance of happening- a Bayern Kurve.

I'd be totally fine with the Antique Cars returning. I'd be even more fine with the return of the Sky Ride!