TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

^ Is there more than one LaRosas inside the park? I had heard good things about it but the one time I tried it last year it was barely edible. I didn't end up finishing my slice because it was so bad, and I will usually eat bad pizza because bad pizza is still pizza. Just curious if I went to the wrong one or just got it on a bad day or something.

I'm excited about the new BBQ place though! I'll definitely give that a try when I'm there this year.

There's one down by Beast/Diamondback splash and one in the Festhaus; not sure elsewhere.

What was inedible about it? You probably got a stale slice? I rarely eat out at a LaRosas when in Cincy and prefer to get a slice at KI since they're usually so fresh. The pepperoni is consistently crispy on top of the cheese and goes well with the sweet pizza sauce.

Honestly I don't really remember why it was so bad. I think it wasn't cooked all the way and the crust was stale, and I didn't really care for the sauce. I think it was on International Street but I could be remembering that wrong. I'll have to try one of the other locations this year, hopefully it was just a bad day because it seems that everyone likes it.

I haven't been a local for 3 years now so my details about the park are starting to show, haha. If you don't care of the sauce then I'd skip it and go for a good that you really like. I'd say Cincinnatians are 50/50 on LaRosas (love/hate). But that seems to be the case with all of the Cincy based chains (people love/hate Montgomery Inn's sauce/rib style; people pick Skyline or Gold Star or Price Hill, PRC, etc) with the exception being Graeters. Everyone loves Graeters!

On the contrary I don't like Graeters I find it over priced and over rated.

I believe they use the queue as a haunt during their halloween season (and it was apparently used as an overflow queue for Mystic Timbers when it first opened).

Yes to both. Unless they change the Haunt maze this year (which I doubt, because that's one of the better ones), you will get to go through the Tomb Raider queue.

^ Is there more than one LaRosas inside the park? I had heard good things about it but the one time I tried it last year it was barely edible. I didn't end up finishing my slice because it was so bad, and I will usually eat bad pizza because bad pizza is still pizza. Just curious if I went to the wrong one or just got it on a bad day or something.

I'm excited about the new BBQ place though! I'll definitely give that a try when I'm there this year.

There's one down by Beast/Diamondback splash and one in the Festhaus; not sure elsewhere.

What was inedible about it? You probably got a stale slice? I rarely eat out at a LaRosas when in Cincy and prefer to get a slice at KI since they're usually so fresh. The pepperoni is consistently crispy on top of the cheese and goes well with the sweet pizza sauce.

Honestly I don't really remember why it was so bad. I think it wasn't cooked all the way and the crust was stale, and I didn't really care for the sauce. I think it was on International Street but I could be remembering that wrong. I'll have to try one of the other locations this year, hopefully it was just a bad day because it seems that everyone likes it.

I haven't been a local for 3 years now so my details about the park are starting to show, haha. If you don't care of the sauce then I'd skip it and go for a good that you really like. I'd say Cincinnatians are 50/50 on LaRosas (love/hate). But that seems to be the case with all of the Cincy based chains (people love/hate Montgomery Inn's sauce/rib style; people pick Skyline or Gold Star or Price Hill, PRC, etc) with the exception being Graeters. Everyone loves Graeters!

There is one in the main plaza. That one always has a line of people!

I ate La Rosas at the park I think twice and it was just okay. Ordering La Rosas out is a lot better, obviously. It's usually my second choice for pizza these days. There's a local place I like a lot better, but I choose La Rosas over Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, Dominos, Little Ceasars, etc.

Actually scratch that, third choice. I am eating Rapid Fired pizza as I type this. Not sure if there are a lot of other Rapid Fireds in other regions, but you basically can get whatever you want on a personal-sized pizza and they cook it really fast right there. I get almost every single veggie they offer plus 3 types of cheese plus several dipping sauces and it only costs a solid $7.75.

Back to the topic of KI food, there is also Red's, Subway, and Starbucks. I sure do hope the grilled cheese place returns, because it's one of the few good places for vegetarian food (besides Subway). Also, if this BBQ is a restaurant, I hope there is at least one vegetarian thing on the menu so my bf and I can both eat there, but I'd settle for more beer.

You should also try Pieology. There is three locations around the area I think. Florence, Anderson, and Clifton.

On the contrary I don't like Graeters I find it over priced and over rated.

UDF guy?

I know it's been answered but there are three LaRosa's locations - International Street, Rivertown near Beast, and the Festhaus. I always try to go to the Festhaus location just before the big lunch crowds hit and I've never had a bad slice of pizza from there.

Skyline Chili is awesome but I find it a little lackluster in the park (overcooked spaghetti at times) but there is one nearby on Waterpark Drive (next to The Beach water park across I-71) that is better quality.

I wish they would reopen the old International Restaurant above the main gate. While it is used for special events I think it's a missed opportunity for the park to offer a place that could offer a higher quality food option.

Regarding LaRosa's: I think it's just a preference thing. For me, I've never understood the hype. I don't enjoy the sauce and have always found the pizza bland. But I know others absolutely love it!

With the advent of a new head chef for the overall park dining experience, I'm hopeful that we might see some quality changes to 'some' of the food offerings. I'm not expecting there to be some sudden, amazing change (it's Cedar Fair and this isn't Knott's by any means) but something has to be done about a lackluster Panda Express being on my shortlist of places good enough to eat (so long as it isn't sweltering out in which case Chinese food is probably 'not' gonna be your friend.) International was... a good view, at least, for Winterfest. If things spice up enough I'd like to see it open for more than just special events.

Oh, and Tom and Chee (that is it, right?) That's pretty good.

Friday can't get here soon enough. The wife and I plan on hitting the preview day without the kids and either Saturday or Sunday I will take my son up to the park.

If weather holds up I plan on making the long trek to KI on opening day. This year I got the Platinum dining for the first time. Just wondering what everyone's go-to is on the dining plan. I'm not all that familiar with the park. I've seen the pizza get thrown around a lot on this thread, but are there any other recommendations of things on the dining plan? I believe I read Panda and Chick-fil-A were on the plan so worst case I can eat something I "know".

Anything really unique to this park that's worth getting? Anything REALLY good / must try? And don't say Skyline because I finally tried it outside the park last year for the first time and it just wasn't my thing...

Thanks in advance

^It honestly doesn't look good opening day, outside of the temperature. Sunday doesn't look too promising either. Preview night on Friday looks good though. Of course forecasts can change. It said 90% earlier today for Saturday.

KIweatheropeningweekend.JPG.764f34d5df8020c9d5feed65d54be23e.JPG

80% chance for rain means that it could be forecaster for the evening and not necessarily mid day. I'd take a look at the hourly forecast when the time nears. It's been my experience that rain/snow/storms are always predicted to occur at an earlier day or time than expected when the predictions are this far out.

Nope, doesn't look open on the 15th (outside of another event I'm not aware of.) Sunday hours begin on the 22nd. Friday is gonna be the best time, but I might still go Saturday if it's not going to rain 'too' bad. Might knock down the crowd a bit, but it'll still be Opening Day Mania regardless. Tempted to go out just to get some food and take some pictures.

That was one busy night. Goodness. Enough gold/plat passholders to fill the lot all the way down to the water park. Got some fun pictures in, though! Also tried out the new BBQ place. Lots of Winterfest-centric lights still up... are they planning on using those throughout the normal operating year? Honestly, I liked them up; lot more coherent, tied into Coney Mall well... just made all the old bulbs look that much further out of place.

Also after trying a few different spots on Vortex I'm in agreement that it's due for a retrack... or maybe new restraints? I still want to love this ride.

Hmmm, interesting thought. Though Vekoma has moved on and created a whole new track and train style for themselves I wonder if they could use their old style track, which I believe they still use for their boomerangs, and retrack Vortex and put their new style trains on it.

Who am I fooling, that hard slam to the right before the corkscrews would still be brutal and CF would rather just demolish it and replace it with something else.