TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

So IF Vortex ever gets replaced . . . what to replace it with?

Maybe a Floorless or Wing Coaster? (assuming there's a large enough footprint for either)

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing an Infinity coaster from Gerstlauer or something from Mack like Blue Fire to replace Vortex.

If they could just move the Bat's entrance/exit to the right of Invertigo and behind Congo Falls that would eliminate that long walk to and from the ride. It's not like Timberwolf is extremely popular or anything to prevent that.

Um yeah....I don't think that's going to work. That's a much further distance.

kibat123.JPG.f6677ca4a7b292b56bbc354968ea8e96.JPG

This is why TOPGUN's queue line is the way it is. Mainly due to the Wild Animal Safari Monorail and TOPGUN coexisting for only the 1993 season.

IMG_0003.thumb.jpg.ea30d50f4e7b8922bb3f658752122e35.jpg

1993 (Opening season for TOPGUN)

34e3wvo.jpg.png.1f73386b7d6c35e77ad21ee18c84e4bb.png

1991 (Opening season for Adventure Express)

25txjqf.jpg.999b2e0aace4c99b13cfb85948d3ca40.jpg

1994 (Removal of Monorail station in preparation for Xtreme Skyflyer in 1995)

cobra07.jpg.9a16cb2414de6dba7314cd5ef5ae692a.jpg

1996 (Opening Season for "XS Raceway" later renamed "Days of Thunder")

Thanks for posting that bit of history. We brought some first time guests to the park this weekend and our first stop was the Bat. I think the walk back through the long awkward queue set expectation low. I kind of planned it that way...

If The Bat is going to stay

Why wouldn't the bat stay? They just painted the entire thing and gave it a brand new name and logo a few seasons ago. There's no indication whatsoever that the Bat is going anywhere.

That Bat is awesome, and (contrary to your experience), I've never seen the thing without a line.

If The Bat is going to stay

Why wouldn't the bat stay? They just painted the entire thing and gave it a brand new name and logo a few seasons ago. There's no indication whatsoever that the Bat is going anywhere.

That Bat is awesome, and (contrary to your experience), I've never seen the thing without a line.

You’re right, there has been no indication that it is going anywhere. I was just joining the speculation of the future of the Bat and Vortex. I really do hope it stays, as it’s a great ride and one of the best suspended coasters left.

Also glad to hear it’s still popular with the GP. If it’s still getting a line way down there it must be a favourite with a lot of the public.

The first Bat was the first one if it's kind and they didn't bank the track at all, if I remember correctly. This led to the ride wearing out very quickly and not being sustainable, so they had to remove it after a season or two. They learned from building the first one and the subsequent ones worked better, obviously.

Arrow Suspended coasters are some of the most underrated coasters. They are an absolute blast and you can't help but laugh. It's sad that not many were built and now the more intense ones are closed. Eagle's Fortress and Big Bad Wolf looked like amazing rides. My rank is The Ninja, The Bat, The Iron Dragon. Shame Vekoma didn't expand on the idea after the Vampire conversion. Hopefully we'll continue to see them around for a long time. They all seem to do very well in their parks.

Thanks for the responses, guys!

Also, someone asked a KI-related question in the CP thread and I decided to bring my response here:

One more thing... I've never been to Kings Island so if Halloweekends is going to be ridiculously crowded would it be worth it to give KI a try instead?

Depends on what you want. KI is open an hour later and has more Haunt mazes and better Haunt mazes. Didn't see any shows at Halloweekends when we went but the shows at KI are great. Also: Beast, Diamondback, Timbers, Banshee, Bat, Adventure Express,... are all amazing at night during Haunt. Personally, I think KI has a better atmosphere during Haunt than Cedar Point does.

Of course, you don't get Maverick, MF, and the others (except Dragster) but you can go on a summer night during ERT (or CoasterMania!) for the night ride experiences if that's what you're after.

But yeah.... after going to Halloweekends once last year and once this year and KI Haunt many more times, I highly recommend KI Haunt over Halloweekends. Of the few mazes at CP, there are only a couple I'd really say are worth waiting a long time for, if any.

Sounds like KI may be a winner. Can I expect the lines to be as bad as Cedar Point?

They can still be very bad, but it always seems like things cut down a lot 12-1, especially the mazes. Plan your night so that you are in the vicinity of what you want to do towards the end and you might be able to stuff quite a few in last minute (especially mazes). For example: Slaughterhouse is right by Beast and I always see it with almost no line as it gets closer to closing. Cavern of Terror is nearby too. Timbers and Diamondback are right across from each other but it's doubtful if you could fit in both of those + front row of Beast in that hour (and you DEFINITELY should end the night with a front row ride on Beast, but recognize that if you get in line just before 1, you'll get on it but most likely not in the front row).

Beware of Field of Screams. It's definitely one of the best mazes, but the length of the queue can be deceiving since the queue goes through a lot of Dinosaurs Alive. If you see the end of the queue from the entrance, that is going to be a long wait. You also have to recognize that you have a decent walk from exiting the maze to get back. I definitely recommend this maze, but don't try to do it when you're pressed for time for anything else.

Haunt doesn't start until 8, so obviously if you get there earlier in the day, you have plenty of time to ride coasters before Haunt starts and then focus on mazes more once it starts.

Save Field of Screams, Wolf Pack, and the bayou maze for when it's darker. The lines I see get the longest are Blackout, Field of Screams, Cavern of Terror, and CarnEvil. I wouldn't recommend waiting too long for anything else since A. IMO those four are the best and the others aren't worth waiting too long for and B. most likely as the night goes on, the lines for the other mazes will thin out a lot more anyway.

Good luck and let us know how you like KI! Maybe someone who has been recently on a Saturday can weigh in as well, since I've only been on Fridays this year. However, I think the general popularity trends still ring true whichever day you go.

Thanks for the responses, guys!

Also, someone asked a KI-related question in the CP thread and I decided to bring my response here:

One more thing... I've never been to Kings Island so if Halloweekends is going to be ridiculously crowded would it be worth it to give KI a try instead?

Depends on what you want. KI is open an hour later and has more Haunt mazes and better Haunt mazes. Didn't see any shows at Halloweekends when we went but the shows at KI are great. Also: Beast, Diamondback, Timbers, Banshee, Bat, Adventure Express,... are all amazing at night during Haunt. Personally, I think KI has a better atmosphere during Haunt than Cedar Point does.

Of course, you don't get Maverick, MF, and the others (except Dragster) but you can go on a summer night during ERT (or CoasterMania!) for the night ride experiences if that's what you're after.

But yeah.... after going to Halloweekends once last year and once this year and KI Haunt many more times, I highly recommend KI Haunt over Halloweekends. Of the few mazes at CP, there are only a couple I'd really say are worth waiting a long time for, if any.

Sounds like KI may be a winner. Can I expect the lines to be as bad as Cedar Point?

They can still be very bad, but it always seems like things cut down a lot 12-1, especially the mazes. Plan your night so that you are in the vicinity of what you want to do towards the end and you might be able to stuff quite a few in last minute (especially mazes). For example: Slaughterhouse is right by Beast and I always see it with almost no line as it gets closer to closing. Cavern of Terror is nearby too. Timbers and Diamondback are right across from each other but it's doubtful if you could fit in both of those + front row of Beast in that hour (and you DEFINITELY should end the night with a front row ride on Beast, but recognize that if you get in line just before 1, you'll get on it but most likely not in the front row).

Beware of Field of Screams. It's definitely one of the best mazes, but the length of the queue can be deceiving since the queue goes through a lot of Dinosaurs Alive. If you see the end of the queue from the entrance, that is going to be a long wait. You also have to recognize that you have a decent walk from exiting the maze to get back. I definitely recommend this maze, but don't try to do it when you're pressed for time for anything else.

Haunt doesn't start until 8, so obviously if you get there earlier in the day, you have plenty of time to ride coasters before Haunt starts and then focus on mazes more once it starts.

Save Field of Screams, Wolf Pack, and the bayou maze for when it's darker. The lines I see get the longest are Blackout, Field of Screams, Cavern of Terror, and CarnEvil. I wouldn't recommend waiting too long for anything else since A. IMO those four are the best and the others aren't worth waiting too long for and B. most likely as the night goes on, the lines for the other mazes will thin out a lot more anyway.

Good luck and let us know how you like KI! Maybe someone who has been recently on a Saturday can weigh in as well, since I've only been on Fridays this year. However, I think the general popularity trends still ring true whichever day you go.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I will be sure to report back on how my night goes at the park.

I went Saturday. Our longest wait for the haunted houses was probably Blackout, which took about 20-30 minutes. All of the haunt lines seem to move really quickly. Slaughterhouse looked like it had a long line, but it only took us 20 minutes. I can't comment on field of screams or how the rest of the lines would typically progress throughout the night. This is because at 10 there was a complete down pour that shut down every ride except for Flight of Fear for the rest of the night, which was a huge bummer. However, it cleared the park out and we were able to pretty much walk straight through every remaining open haunt attraction.

If you want to ride coasters under an hour wait, get a Fast Lane Plus. Fast Lane plus at King's Island is incredible, even on the most busy weekends. We were able to pretty much go right into the station on every ride except one time on Beast where we had to wait five minutes. Mystic Timbers was running well over an hour wait and we were on the ride within a minute of approaching the station. It was always the same with Diamondback, as well.

I went Saturday. Our longest wait for the haunted houses was probably Blackout, which took about 20-30 minutes. All of the haunt lines seem to move really quickly. Slaughterhouse looked like it had a long line, but it only took us 20 minutes. I can't comment on field of screams or how the rest of the lines would typically progress throughout the night. This is because at 10 there was a complete down pour that shut down every ride except for Flight of Fear for the rest of the night, which was a huge bummer. However, it cleared the park out and we were able to pretty much walk straight through every remaining open haunt attraction.

If you want to ride coasters under an hour wait, get a Fast Lane Plus. Fast Lane plus at King's Island is incredible, even on the most busy weekends. We were able to pretty much go right into the station on every ride except one time on Beast where we had to wait five minutes. Mystic Timbers was running well over an hour wait and we were on the ride within a minute of approaching the station. It was always the same with Diamondback, as well.

Yeah, the coasters definitely get longer waits during Haunt than the mazes. The maze lines really do move fast.

Bummer about the rain, but it sounds like it worked to your benefit as far as the Haunt mazes go. More chance for scares too if there's no one else in there. I still get pretty nervous about going through Haunt mazes alone (or with like one other person, since I still end up being the target) so I actually prefer to go through when there's a minimal wait.

Doesn't look like there is rain in the forecast for this weekend, but that could change.

Does anybody know if the 10ckers at the front entrance of the park are the kind you can rent all day? Or if they are only for a couple of hours, like the ones at Banshee, and Firehawk? And if they are for all day, what do they cost? Thanks in advance!

Is Back Lot Stunt Coaster a tight squeeze? Judging from the pics, the seating looks very cramped.

It's pretty typical, except knees are well bent and legs can be an issue like with FoF. The lapbar itself is looser than some.