TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Sorry that annoyed you. It is just as annoying for us because it takes that much longer to get everyone out of the station and to send the next train.

That was really what was annoying. It would just lead to a group of people crowded around pushing on a gate that wasn't opening.

I finally got to visit Kings Island today and am I the only one who thinks Mystic Timber is just "okay"? I rode it twice (row 5 and row 2) and both times I got off the ride I wasn't in any hurry to get back on again. They also need to make the shed a little darker to make the effects look better.

Also where was the line control person at the top of the stairs on Banshee? On my one and only ride there was no one there to direct guests so it was basically a free-for-all.

I finally got to visit Kings Island today and am I the only one who thinks Mystic Timber is just "okay"? I rode it twice (row 5 and row 2) and both times I got off the ride I wasn't in any hurry to get back on again. They also need to make the shed a little darker to make the effects look better.

Also where was the line control person at the top of the stairs on Banshee? On my one and only ride there was no one there to direct guests so it was basically a free-for-all.

I really loved Mystic Timbers. It has everything I love in a good roller coaster: It feels fast, it has lots of airtime, it has some laterals (mainly on the first drop, turnaround, and the turn on to the brake run), and it doesn't feel too short. Plus it had some good themeing. And I don't usually care about themeing, but I really like the themeing on Mystic Timbers. I do agree that maybe adding a garage door type door at the entrance of the shed would be a good idea. I did think it was a bit too bright. But I still loved it!

And I don't know about Banshee but it seems wonderful that the person wasn't there to assign rows.

I think Mystic Timbers is a middle of the road GCI but that still makes it an absolute blast to ride. I prefer Diamondback, Banshee, Bat and (if it's night time) Beast by a large margin but it's still a great coaster IMO. I just think people are over-hyping it since it's new.

I wouldn't be surprised that five years from now people will be screaming for an RMC makeover due to the condition of the ride by then.

My GCI experience has only been the ride formerly known as Roar at SFMW/SFDK and the two at Hersheypark so I'm a bit limited in their designs. I really wanted to like MT more than I do.

I think the question of how popular Mystic Timbers remains depends how well the park can maintain it. Some of the GCI's I've been on haven't aged too well.

I rode Prowler and Worlds of Fun maintains it terribly. So rough! But I'm sure Kings Island could keep it smooth. I mean they've kept the Racer and the Beast smooth and the Racer is forty-five years old and the Beast is thirty-eight years old.

You rode it on the wrong spot. It's way better back 2 rows. Banshee doesn't use a "grouper" if the line is really short and/or when they have people on breaks and it's also not busy. I was there last week multiple days and it was 5 minutes or a walk on 90% of the time. It was like 10 minutes once when I massive group of day camp kids came all at once.

I think Mystic Timbers is a middle of the road GCI but that still makes it an absolute blast to ride. I prefer Diamondback, Banshee, Bat and (if it's night time) Beast by a large margin but it's still a great coaster IMO. I just think people are over-hyping it since it's new.

Bat? LOL. If you want to talk over hyping look at The Beast. It's greatness is nostalgia base, the trims have killed the ride.

Bat? LOL. If you want to talk over hyping look at The Beast. It's greatness is nostalgia base, the trims have killed the ride.

The ride has been trimmed since year 2, y'know.

We rode in the very front and the very back. I don't have a preference other than the fact that the shed is slightly cooler in the back. It's very good, but still the 4th or 5th best coaster in the park in my opinion.

100% agreed. The ride absolutely hauls and it's feels like you're going even faster at night. I think I prefer the front, but the drop in the back is surprisingly above average. It's just a really fun ride and let's get real, the walk back to it isn't that bad.

What's GCI's do you like more?

I'm kinda curious about that as well. Mystic Timbers was my favorite, easily, and actually one of my favorite woodies in general. I said it my review of it that I may be biased because that is exactly what I'm looking for in a woodie.

My GCI top 5 probably looks like:

Mystic Timbers

Thunderhead

Apocalypse

Kentucky Rumbler

InvadR

I'm missing many of the Midwest GCIs though, so I can't speak to Renegade, American thunder, Gold Striker, Prowler, etc...

I haven't been on a ton of GCIs but I prefer Lightning Racer and Thunderhead for sure, I liked Apocalypse better when I rode it a few years ago but I've heard it's running like crap now. I'd say it's on par with Roar at Six Flags America (at least the way it was running during Holiday in the Park, though in previous years I really didn't care for that ride and it can definitely be tempermental).

I definitely prefer Mystic Timbers to White Lightning, Wildcat and (obviously) Gwazi. I really liked it a lot and thought it was a ton of fun, I just think there are other GCI coasters that are better.

These are my thoughts as well. A solid coaster for a park with a solid lineup.

The ride had trims in the same locations they are today on opening day. According to one of the designers of The Beast they only took one ride around the track without trims.

You might be thinking about the tunnel around the helix which was added for the second year.

The ride had trims in the same locations they are today on opening day. According to one of the designers of The Beast they only took one ride around the track without trims.

You might be thinking about the tunnel around the helix which was added for the second year.

Yeah, you're right. Still makes my point even more valid then.

You rode it on the wrong spot. It's way better back 2 rows. Banshee doesn't use a "grouper" if the line is really short and/or when they have people on breaks and it's also not busy. I was there last week multiple days and it was 5 minutes or a walk on 90% of the time. It was like 10 minutes once when I massive group of day camp kids came all at once.

How short is short? I went last Thursday and the line was only to the top of the stairs and they still had the grouper, a not very effective one at that. He kept assigning only two people per row. I rode it three times hoping that by some chance he'd let me sit in the front or back since there were some empty seats, but each time I ended up sitting in the middle. Oh well though. Still a fun ride. I love the theme! Not too much but not too little.

Well if the grouper tells me a specific row I go there. I don't make a fuss asking for a special seat however I do understand what you're saying as I hate that at Diamondback. First ride was in the middle as the grouper told me which line to go in but the second time the grouper just let me in and I made a mad dash to the back seat (the only place to ride D-back).

As for the Banshee situation the line was going all the way back towards the ride entrance but they never opened up the queues as it wasn't a very crowded day at all. With no grouper at the top of the stairs I did go for my second front seat ride ever. I wasn't complaining about the lack of a grouper just that it was odd not to have one there when all the other coasters I rode had one.

BTW I forgot about Evel Knievel/American Thunder as being one of the GCI's I've ridden. That and Lightning Racer are probably my two favorites from them.

How short is short? I went last Thursday and the line was only to the top of the stairs and they still had the grouper, a not very effective one at that. He kept assigning only two people per row. I rode it three times hoping that by some chance he'd let me sit in the front or back since there were some empty seats, but each time I ended up sitting in the middle. Oh well though. Still a fun ride. I love the theme! Not too much but not too little.

My strategy for dealing with groupers is to request back or front before they have a chance to say anything. I go back 95% of the time b/c there are only a few coasters where I like front better than back. My first few times on a coaster I try both. In my experience it's very rare, like 1 of 10 times to not get your choice unless there is a huge back up. The backups usually are for front. It's been extremely rare for me to request back and not get it with a grouper. I've ridden Mystic 50+ times and have gotten grouped not i the back or 2nd to back like 2 or 3 times.

Well if the grouper tells me a specific row I go there. I don't make a fuss asking for a special seat however I do understand what you're saying as I hate that at Diamondback. First ride was in the middle as the grouper told me which line to go in but the second time the grouper just let me in and I made a mad dash to the back seat (the only place to ride D-back).

As for the Banshee situation the line was going all the way back towards the ride entrance but they never opened up the queues as it wasn't a very crowded day at all. With no grouper at the top of the stairs I did go for my second front seat ride ever. I wasn't complaining about the lack of a grouper just that it was odd not to have one there when all the other coasters I rode had one.

BTW I forgot about Evel Knievel/American Thunder as being one of the GCI's I've ridden. That and Lightning Racer are probably my two favorites from them.

Lol. I always get too scared to ask a grouper for a specific seat. The one at Banshee seemed nice enough but I was still super scared to ask. I absolutely hate to ask people for favors. But I agree, the back seat on the Diamondback is the best place to ride it. Luckily that grouper stuck me in the back or close to the back every time. The front is great for visuals, but the back is the best for airtime. And I've ridden American Thunder. It is definitely an underrated roller coaster. It reminds me a lot of one of the other GCI's I've ridden, Ozark Wildcat. At least that it is a compact layout and has multiple low to the ground airtime hills. But I still like Mystic Timbers the best. It will probably be a couple of years before I get to ride Lightning Racer. But it looks like a blast! I tend to like wood coasters more than steel coasters.