TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I've never had a phone or car keys fall out of my pockets on any ride. I guess to be safer on Monday, I'll wear cargo shorts with buttons to make my keys and phone even more secure.

Firehawk is the worst if you have unsecured pockets. The awkward angle makes everything fall right out. I won't ride it unless I'm wearing pockets that can button or snap closed.

I went to the park on Monday for the first time, and finally got around to mentioning it on here. Save for a few rain clouds that passed through and closed the rides for a bit, it was a great day! I loved the feel and atmosphere. I look forward to returning someday (hopefully sometime soon)

Some notes:

-Firehawk was much smoother to me than Nighthawk. It was a great surprise.

-Mystic Timbers was AWESOME!

-I was not prepared for the 2nd half of Beast

-Banshee is definitely my favorite ride in the park

-The ops for Banshee, Diamondback, and Mystic Timbers were hauling. Awesome job!

-Boo Blasters was the only disappointment. We sat down and picked up out blasters and found that none of them worked. So, we sat through the ride, and were told by the op when we returned that the specific car we were in was having issues all day. We were debating on going back in line, but the 45 minute wait and the stories of other people riding with bad blasters deterred us. The ride looked great; I wish KD had the same one.

-Boo Blasters was the only disappointment. We sat down and picked up out blasters and found that none of them worked. So, we sat through the ride, and were told by the op when we returned that the specific car we were in was having issues all day. We were debating on going back in line, but the 45 minute wait and the stories of other people riding with bad blasters deterred us. The ride looked great; I wish KD had the same one.

Glad you had a good visit, unfortunately this seems to be a common issue with KI's boo blasters. It's more of a game to see if your actually going to get a car where all the guns work versus the actual game itself, my son loves that ride and is almost in tears whenever we get a car where the guns don't work, good thing there is plenty else to do, he forgets about it rather quickly.

I have bad no luck with the Boo Blaster games on my last couple visits to KI, KD, and CW. IIRC, the guns at KI are the worst. It's a shame, because Emily always really wants to ride, but usually my gun doesn't work. When my gun does work, I crush her and it feels good to silence her crap talking... When my gun isn't working well, I frantically try to shoot at whatever possible, while she kicks my a$$. It always seems like when we do get a car with shitty guns, it's always mine that craps out. That's Karma, I suppose.

Has anyone seen the Doberman dog show at the park? I was pumped when I saw it advertised on FB, because Emily loves these types of animal shows! I hate all of your typical park shows involving actors, as I have no taste for any kind of live Theater. (and largely poor tastes in general) However, I enjoy animal shows of most variety.

Interesting, I have never had issues with the Boo Blasters guns. I guess I'm just lucky! During my last visit, I scored a personal best: 1560.

As a side note, I'm enjoying the improvements around the park. Boo blasters broken effects have been fixed. International Street now has thematic music. FoF has the show lighting in the queue working again. Although, the whole "my pleasure" thing feels a bit awkward this far North.

I too had a great time at KI when I went, and loved Banshee the most as well, such a solid coaster, with seven good inversions.

Tbh, I didn't do a single flat while I was there as I wanted to ride all the coasters and then re-ride Banshee and Mystic Timbers. But, if I went regularly, I'd probably be disappointed with the selection of flats, especially because I'm used to the assortment at CW.

As much as any park really benefits from more coasters, I'd love to see KI get some more flats in the future, as the coaster collection is really solid already.

Hey everyone! I'm going to Kings Island for the first time in a long time, so I was wondering what everybody thought the best plan of attack for the park is. I was maybe thinking about starting out at Banshee and the Bat and working my way clockwise around the park. Also, as far as food is there any place or food item is a must try? Thanks!

Strategically that might be the worst plan possible, but if you're just eager to ride Banshee then do whatever you want.

The rides where you'll have the biggest issue with lines are Firehawk, Flight of Fear, Backlot Stunt Coaster and Mystic Timbers.

If you have a Platinum Pass I'd get there for Early Entry, go right to Mystic Timbers, then at park open hit Firehawk, Flight of Fear and Backlot (probably in that order, but if you're coming from Mystic Timbers you could just hit Backlot on the way to Firehawk since you'll pass it). If you don't have a Platinum Pass then save Mystic Timbers for later and head for Firehawk when the park opens. Lines are rarely an issue at Banshee because of it's incredible capacity.

Hey everyone! I'm going to Kings Island for the first time in a long time, so I was wondering what everybody thought the best plan of attack for the park is. I was maybe thinking about starting out at Banshee and the Bat and working my way clockwise around the park. Also, as far as food is there any place or food item is a must try? Thanks!

I'm not sure if it's in your budget, but Kings Island is probably the best park (at least in the CF chain) for skipping the lines. Their Fast Lane+ basically takes you to the very front of each attraction, and you won't have to wait hardly at all. No plan of attack is needed if you get one. It is 100% worth the money, especially at this park.

The last time I was at Kings Island was in 1984. There are only a couple rides that are still in operation from that time and the rest will be new to me. The ride selection looks pretty good. Not as good as Cedar Point, but decent. Highly looking forward to it.

Honestly despite having a better ride lineup than KI, I prefer KI over CP. KI to me has a much better atmosphere around the entire park, wheras CP felt a bit more cluttered/cramped. I guess that's a sacrifice you've gotta make if you're striving to have the most coasters at one park though Both are fantastic parks nonetheless.

All depends on what you want to ride the most, which day you are going.

If you have a Platinum Pass I'd get there for Early Entry, go right to Mystic Timbers, then at park open hit Firehawk, Flight of Fear and Backlot (probably in that order, but if you're coming from Mystic Timbers you could just hit Backlot on the way to Firehawk since you'll pass it). If you don't have a Platinum Pass then save Mystic Timbers for later and head for Firehawk when the park opens. Lines are rarely an issue at Banshee because of it's incredible capacity.

This is the best plan if you don't want to wait in lines, if you want to limit your walking, then start at one side of the park and just go from ride to ride.

As for places to eat, are you from Cincinnati? Being a local to people that aren't from around here, I always suggest Skyline Chili, or Larosa's, both are local chains. If neither of those interest you, I would suggest either the Red's Hall of Fame Grille in Rivertown or Chicken Shack in Action Zone.

That being said, try to avoid eating during "peak" times if at all possible. Kings Island has issues with their food service and the crazy wait times to get anything to eat.

All depends on what you want to ride the most, which day you are going.

This is the best plan if you don't want to wait in lines, if you want to limit your walking, then start at one side of the park and just go from ride to ride.

As for places to eat, are you from Cincinnati? Being a local to people that aren't from around here, I always suggest Skyline Chili, or Larosa's, both are local chains. If neither of those interest you, I would suggest either the Red's Hall of Fame Grille in Rivertown or Chicken Shack in Action Zone.

That being said, try to avoid eating during "peak" times if at all possible. Kings Island has issues with their food service and the crazy wait times to get anything to eat.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going on the Monday or Tuesday (26th or 27th) which I figured would help with the lines. I have only been to the park once before and that was the year Diamondback opened. My main goal is to get on Banshee and Mystic Timbers, especially since MT will be my first GCI!

Just buy a line skipper.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going on the Monday or Tuesday (26th or 27th) which I figured would help with the lines. I have only been to the park once before and that was the year Diamondback opened. My main goal is to get on Banshee and Mystic Timbers, especially since MT will be my first GCI!

Enjoy your visit, weather looks to be nice both of those days. Start with MT first, should be ok with Banshee anytime throughout the day.

When I was at KI a few weeks ago, Banshee was practically a walk-on during the lunch-rush times, as everybody and their brother was in hour-plus lines for Chicken Shack, and Panda Express! So if you time it to hit Banshee around lunch time, that might be your best bet! (You just might want to skip eating at the park that day - fair warning! )

We're headed to the park next Saturday, with FL+ in hand. I've never been to this park on a weekend, outside of the Haunt. Are FL+ lines still pretty much walk-on, during Saturdays?

You should have no problem with lines if you have FL+. Even if the park is super busy I've noticed not many people buy FL/FL+

^ Although I am sure that Firehawk would be the usual slow-loading, super low capacity coaster - even with FL+. You could walk right up to the air gates with FL+ and it'd still be a 15 minute wait!

Just wondering about why I am reading how horrendous the food and beer lines are at this particular park this year? Is it the combo of new (slow) staffing, combined with people that think that they have to eat at noon and 6:00 every day? Are there less restaurants now?

I don't seem to recall this being an issue when we went a few years ago for the Halloween event when the park was pretty slammed. Heck, we practically had a front seat at the bar (which was where we pretty much spent the afternoon because the lines were so long) and never had to wait for a beer/drink.

^The park did not add enough infrastructure to support the new unlimited drink plan. This is really clogging up the lines at the food stands. Also, I have yet to see the train station Coke Freestyle machines operating this year, and I've visited on a Thursday, 2 Fridays a Saturday, and a Sunday, the most recent of which could not be considered early-season.

^^ Amen, brother!

I will sometimes break down and buy a bottle of water for Michael and I to split if the park only hands out the really tiny cups of water...and if the water fountain water is tepid and tastes like it was pumped out of the local stream (usually the norm).