TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

So, now that I've been to Cedar Point during ths past CoasterMania! weekend...this is my question for Kings Island...

IMG_4013.JPG.a7604b170a4e5b23c77a8c980587db49.JPG

#whatsinthisshed? :p (Cedar Point, are you reading this suggestion? Add tunnels to both ends, enclose and you got it!)

Flight of Fear occasionally surprises me when it's sometimes okay to stuff your bag under your legs when hopping on the train. Only coaster there that lets ya do that, it seems. Don't go in expecting this, though. Person outside the ride queue might get you to rent a locker.

Honestly, we thought paying a buck an hour was cheap, and so just spent $6 bucks, and kept anything important/fragile in it all day. We returned to it once or twice, but it didn't seem like a big deal to me.

I had an extra set of clothes and towel for the water park and a camera for the dry side when I was last there. Since I hardly pulled my camera out of my bag though, I'm probably gonna leave it at home the next time I'm at the park and go bagless. It's hard to photograph at the park anyways when you're too busy enjoying the rides.

Flight of Fear occasionally surprises me when it's sometimes okay to stuff your bag under your legs when hopping on the train. Only coaster there that lets ya do that, it seems. Don't go in expecting this, though. Person outside the ride queue might get you to rent a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo.

FoF hasn't required lockers in years. Even before they allowed bags at your feet, they had bins at the rear of the station, that were accessible upon exit. Backlot and Bat also allow you to keep bags at your feet.

Mini trip report from my kid free visit to my home park with no pictures because I didn't have time for that sh*t.

The park was empty with it being a Thursday and the threat of storms all evening. We got there at 4 and stayed until close finishing out the night on Mystic Timbers while the fireworks were going off. Things I saw of note a protein spill that went from the top of the exit of the Banshee station all the way down the steps and to the gift shop. Whoever this person was They packed in the food I have never seen so much puke. I also saw whom I believe to be a member of this forum that most recently on here made a processing in video for Cedar Point. I cannot remember his name but he was taking video and chatting with friends and as I am not overly awkward enthusiast I let this person be and enjoy their day.

The longest we waited was 15 minutes for a front seat night ride on Beast yes that is how empty the park was and we timed it well enough to be the last train before they suspended operations for the fireworks. Very few if any elements on a coaster can match the Beasts double helix at night after all these years it still blows me away.

I had a weird urge to take pictures and point at stuff while I was at the park but it never manifested.

This was the first time I believe since 2014 where my wife and I got a legitimate day to enjoy the park kid free and because of that we appreciated every single thing we rode and had a blast. Even though we grew up with this park things felt fresh new and exciting to us.

Mystic Timbers is still an incredible coaster I cant seem to get enough of it and outside of Beast night rides it is my favorite in the park.

ride count:

Banshee 2x

The Bat

origins show

Delirium

Adventure express

Scrambler

Bumper Cars

Shake Rattle and roll

Flight of fear

Windseeker

Backlot Stunt coaster

The Beast ( night ride)

Mystic Timbers 2x

Diamondback 2x

Race For Your Life Charlie Brown

The last time I was at Kings Island was in 1984. There are only a couple rides that are still in operation from that time and the rest will be new to me. The ride selection looks pretty good. Not as good as Cedar Point, but decent. Highly looking forward to it.

I'm genuinely curious what people without kids carry around where they would need fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo, with the exception of photographers. I guess I'm a minimalist.

Wallet, car keys, phone. If I'm by myself at a park, then I'll get a fluffy bunny so I make sure not to lose those things. If I'm with family, then my wife usually hangs on to that stuff while I'm riding, then I take the stuff in the parent swap. No fluffy bunny needed.

I'm genuinely curious what people without kids carry around where they would need fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo, with the exception of photographers. I guess I'm a minimalist.

Wallet, car keys, phone. If I'm by myself at a park, then I'll get a fluffy bunny so I make sure not to lose those things. If I'm with family, then my wife usually hangs on to that stuff while I'm riding, then I take the stuff in the parent swap. No fluffy bunny needed.

Lockers are looking more and more appealing to us as we've lost items at parks several times recently (keys, phone). The annoyance of a locker is nothing compared to the annoyance of losing your keys and having to wait for a tow or locksmith (shoutout to Kentucky Kingdom and Holiday World for allowing us to chill in the parking lot while we waited for AAA).

We usually try to secure our items in zip/button/velcro pockets (or as a woman, boobs hold items pretty nicely) but things can go wrong. With every mistake, we've learned. The last two losses were from my boyfriend, so hopefully he'll learn too.

Glasses are the big one. I can't risk putting them in a pocket or anywhere there's any chance of them being lost or damaged, since there's no chance of me driving home afterward without them. Phone too, since I like my shiny new expensive phones and would not be happy to lose one.

fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo are looking more and more appealing to us as we've lost items at parks several times recently (keys, phone). The annoyance of a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo is nothing compared to the annoyance of losing your keys and having to wait for a tow or locksmith (shoutout to Kentucky Kingdom and Holiday World for allowing us to chill in the parking lot while we waited for AAA).

And what people don't seem to get is that is a hassle for the parks, also. Whether it be endless harassment of guests wanting the park to look for lost items immediately or extra time employees need to put in at the end of the day.

I also want to say (as i am a ride op), not having Bins in a station moves operations a little faster. We don't have to wait for guests to take ten thousand years to put their stuff in a bin and sit down. It really does improve capacity and efficiency sometimes! Just look at Mystic!

^I've noticed also that operations are much smoother & faster without the bins in the station. I'll use Fury 325 vs. Intimidator at Carowinds as an example. People get in their seats immediately and don't clog up the station to gather stuff when they get off the train.

When I go to parks I will sometimes have a small drawstring bag that I can throw all my loose articles, water bottle & camera in, but that's only when I'm with someone who isn't going to ride anything and can hold it. Otherwise I make sure I have secure pockets for my phone & wallet. If I have my camera, it will end up in a l-o-c-k-e-r if we're all riding...along with anything they have. I don't even bring my souvenir cups to the park anymore for the cheap (or free) refills since I don't drink a lot of soda anyway and hate walking around with more than I really need.

I also want to say (as i am a ride op), not having Bins in a station moves operations a little faster. We don't have to wait for guests to take ten thousand years to put their stuff in a bin and sit down. It really does improve capacity and efficiency sometimes! Just look at Mystic!

I know where you're coming from, but if each guest were diligent enough to know what they're going to put into the bin BEFORE the gates open, it doesn't take more than a few seconds to do. I will gather both mine and and Michael's stuff and place it in the bin to cut back on time. It usually takes Michael a bit more time to get adjusted with the restraints, but I can do this very quickly most of the time.

It's when you get "those people" that put something into a bin and then get into their seat and realize that they forgot to take off their hat, glasses or flip flops...or "forgot" that they were carrying a refillable soda bottle half full of soda...that's when trains get stacked and capacity suffers.

You would have loved the TPR group on Twisted Colossus at WCB. People were hustling to stash stuff in bins, jump back in their seats, and get the restraints fastened as quickly as possible. They told us over the PA how much under interval we were, and used those terms since they knew we'd know them. I had one ride op tell me she wished every train went out just like we had done it.

Edited by ytterbiumanalyst