TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Was at KI yesterday for the first time, and I really loved it. The park is really nice, with a great atmosphere.

My home park is CW, and I was really surprised at how spread of everything is at KI. I guess when there's not urban sprawl closing in on you from all sides, you have the luxury of spacing things out.

This is my first trip to a park other than CW in more than 15 years, and the first one since I would even begin to consider myself an enthusiast. Being at KI gave me bittersweet feelings about CW. Wonderland really doesn't have its coaster game up to snuff in comparison, but it sure has a much wider selection of flats. Honestly, I'd say I like the parks about the same, but man, I really wish CW could get some more quality coasters. We enjoyed every coaster at KI, though certainly some more than others.

Our day looked like this :

Banshee x4

Invertigo x1

The Bat x1

Adventure Express x1

The Racer x1

Flight of Fear x2

Firehawk x1

Vortex x1

Backlot Stunt Coaster x1

Diamondback x1

The Beast x1

Mystic Timbers x2

My personal hell was going in the "2017 gold pass" parking lane with my Cedar Point platinum pass and not having the gate open. Everyone honking at me. And then I had to do the dreaded cedar fair platinum pass backup maneuver to go into a lane with an attendant as everyone loudly huffed behind me when the reverse lights came on.

So the moral of the story is you need a Kings Island pass to use the automated Kings Island gate.

Oh, and mystic timbers was great.

That is strange because I know someone who also has a Cedar Point platinum pass and it works fine for the self scan lanes. Did it give you an error message or did it never seem to scan? Because I have seen problems with people not getting the machine to scan the barcode. The scanners are a little picky.

I can affirm that the self scan lane worked fine with both our platinum passes (we left and returned so I scanned the girlfriend's the second time). But I also saw the car ahead of us having trouble with scanning (eventually worked).

Weird that you guys had no issues. Maybe it had to do with early entry (the sign specifically said Kings Island gold pass)? Or I just have bad luck. No idea. It definitely scanned just gave me an error about not being in the system or something to that effect and to see an attendant. I keyed it in manually as well. Of course no issue when the attendant scanned it. Oh well.

Banshee and the bat rode better than I remember in the past, them cutting the caramel apples for you is awesome, and I did my first slingshot for $10 but it didn't do much for me. Adventure Express still makes me laugh everytime and Diamondback is a ton of fun and better than I remember as well. Overall a great visit.

What's in the shed? Delicious caramel apples that are bigger than my head! My apologies to the guy behind me for getting caramel all over his face.

3783fd9b69c8533b5a0be5ec7198169f.jpg

Had a fun weekend with Bernie:

9603f737435a94faa5077cf5cdba12d0.jpg

It kind of depends on what you want out of the park. KI is a great park for the FL+, because most of the FL+ lines go directly to the station. You're usually on Banshee within three minutes tops. It truly is the "ride whenever the hell you feel like it pass," vs. Cedar Point or SF parks.

I've been here for an hour and a half and I've already been on Flight of Fear, Racer (red), Firehawk, and Adventure Express (all walk-ons or less than 5 minute waits) and also had some downtime to sit in the shade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^That's where I was in the morning. Lines weren't all too bad there at that time either. Although once the afternoon hit, the flood of people came pouring in and I gave up on waiting in the significantly longer lines. Had a great day though! 25-ish minute wait for Diamondback, 30 for Mystic Timbers, walk-on and 5 minute wait for Banshee, and some other credits.

Side note: I think I'm starting to like both the Mystic Timbers/Diamondback duo more than Banshee. MT is just... wild! Still super smooth, and provides those sudden lateral + airtime forces no other coaster in the park achieves.

Diamondback confirmed my statement of it being pure bliss. Comfy open seats plus floater airtime heaven.

Diamondback is still definitely my #1 coaster at KI, without a doubt! The airtime, especially in the very back, is certifiably nuts, and I love the setting! The big question for me right now, is whether Mystic Timbers has beaten out Banshee for the #2 spot! It's close, and it may be there. I think a few more rides at a later date may be needed just to seal the deal - especially some more night rides!

I typically ride Diamondback just because my wife likes it. I have always found it to be mediocre but I also like intense coasters that throw me around or speed coasters. It is fun but not my favorite.

Comfort and re-rideability play a huge role in my top favorite coasters. Diamondback just so happens to be a roller coaster I would have no problem marathoning if given the chance. For coasters that throw you around, Mystic Timbers certainly helps fill that void at Kings Island (unless maybe you include Vortex)

I realize the back row might be the best thing on the coaster, but I almost always opt for 2nd row. It's almost as good as a front seat ride due to the V-shape cars, and usually has a shorter wait there so I get on quicker. Love the feel of the wind up there.

Just checking in to say that my Kings Island visit started out fun, but turned not so fun with me spilling protein all over my clothes about 2:30pm, which ended my day early. Still got on six unique coasters (including both sides of Racer). Of the coasters I got on, Banshee was my favorite, while I didn't get over toward Beast, Diamondback, or Mystic Timbers. Definitely incentive to come back to KI when it's not 95 degrees and humid.

Just checking in to say that my Kings Island visit started out fun, but turned not so fun with me spilling protein all over my clothes about 2:30pm, which ended my day early.

Haha, wtf? That sucks.

Just checking in to say that my Kings Island visit started out fun, but turned not so fun with me spilling protein all over my clothes about 2:30pm, which ended my day early.

Haha, wtf? That sucks.

Glad I'm not the only person that laughed at this.

I'm visiting Monday, June 19th with a Fast Lane Plus pass. I'm by myself and looking for another single rider with a Fast Lane Plus pass that would like to spend the day riding coasters and other rides.