TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Thanks for the heads up. I was looking at the wait times in the app and noticed it went down quite awhile ago. My fiance is still sleeping after a long long morning of driving since 430am and being at the Cincinnati Zoo so I think I will wait it out until tomorrow. Thinking of doing soak city as well since we will have the whole day. I guess we'll play it by ear.

How do you guys think the crowds are going to be this Tuesday? I'll be heading to the park for my first time ever and they're open till 10, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get there right at opening. Just want to know what to expect.

I'm planning to go to Kings Island for 3 days during my Cedar Point trip at the end of June. I was looking at map quest I didn't realize how close Camden Park is to Kings Island I'm going to Kings Island for three days staying at Baymont Inn mile from the park. According to map quest Camden Park is only 2 hours east of Kings Island. Can you do both Kings Island and Camden Park in one day? Is Camden Park worth a couple of hours visits and to ride the Big Dipper? I'm planning to hit Camden Park real early in the morning then do Kings Island in the late afternoon and evening for the first day.

Edited by Lightning Rod

How do you guys think the crowds are going to be this Tuesday? I'll be heading to the park for my first time ever and they're open till 10, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get there right at opening. Just want to know what to expect.

If you happen to have a gold or platinum pass, Tuesday nights in May and June they keep Mystic Timbers open an extra hour.

First time at the park tomorrow! To Fast Lane or not to Fast Lane? Hoping I make the right decision.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Probably won't need FastLane on a Monday or Tuesday. Make a lap around the park first before you decide.

Thanks for the TR, DILinator! Glad to hear your kids had a good time.

I was a bit disappointed with the shed the first time I rode it. I think I put my expectations too high, and I wasn't even one of the ones who thought it was going to be a drop track! Since then, and especially because of Coasterstock, it has really grown on me. I was saying, "Don't go in the shed!" before the Maverick tunnel (as was the employee working Maverick during Coastermania), and I've been putting on those old 80s tunes to reminisce about one of my favorite new woodies. During Coasterstock night ERT on Saturday, we were clapping and singing and swaying along to the music. I do seriously feel the shed and all the theming for MT really adds flair to that ride. I totally get what you mean about the front not getting the full experience, but the back's where it's at anyway.

I'm planning to go to Kings Island for 3 days during my Cedar Point trip at the end of June. I was looking at map quest I didn't realize how close Camden Park is to Kings Island I'm going to Kings Island for three days staying at Baymont Inn mile from the park. According to map quest Camden Park is only 2 hours east of Kings Island. Can you do both Kings Island and Camden Park in one day? Is Camden Park worth a couple of hours visits and to ride the Big Dipper? I'm planning to hit Camden Park real early in the morning then do Kings Island in the late afternoon and evening for the first day.

The Whip is the best ride in the park.

Another question for folks familiar with the area around KI.

What kind of traffic can one expect on a friday between 4 and 6 headed north from the park to Yellow Springs? Google Maps gives it a travel time of roughly an hour, but that's without much of any traffic. Should I expect dramatically higher travel time, or little to no change? Really not familiar with the area at all.

Kind of thinking about making a run down to Kings Island on Sunday for the day (I live about 3.5 hours away). If I go, would I need Fast Lane (or Fast Lane Plus)? I've never been to KI before. Checked the weather and it's supposed to be around 90 degrees but dry.

Another question for folks familiar with the area around KI.

What kind of traffic can one expect on a friday between 4 and 6 headed north from the park to Yellow Springs? Google Maps gives it a travel time of roughly an hour, but that's without much of any traffic. Should I expect dramatically higher travel time, or little to no change? Really not familiar with the area at all.

Normally the traffic is worse to the South so while I would expect a little longer than an hour it should not be extremely bad.

Kind of thinking about making a run down to Kings Island on Sunday for the day (I live about 3.5 hours away). If I go, would I need Fast Lane (or Fast Lane Plus)? I've never been to KI before. Checked the weather and it's supposed to be around 90 degrees but dry.

You could ride everything in a day without Fastlane, but it would definitely be beneficial for re-rides.

Do you have a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass (I know you're closer to Cedar Point so I assume you might)? Are you planning to get there at opening?

Speaking of Sunday, I'm going to be there on Sunday and was wondering if anyone has gotten familiar with the Mystic Timbers crowd patterns. Does it stay pretty steady all day long or does it tend to drop off later in the day like Banshee does? I've been to KI so many times that I'm not really concerned about prioritizing what order I hit things up, but I'd rather not wait in a huge line at 10:00 if it gets quieter later in the day.

My experience the day I was at KI the other week, was that while Mystic Timbers' wait time was longest early in the day, it didn't go down significantly throughout the day, but remained steady around the half hour mark. Of course, being out in the woods, you're going to have a healthy line for it at the end of the day, just like The Beast does at that time.

^ We were just there a couple days this week and found it to be similar. Held a steady line pretty much all day. The lowest seemed to be in the late afternoon and early evening (unless you have a gold or platinum pass). Since it's open for early entry, even right at park opening it's got a line that stays pretty steady all day. It seemed to grow later in the evening as well.

We were there a few weeks ago and Mystic Timbers had a full queue all day. I highly suggest taking advantage of the Platinum Passholder Early Entry on it. We did end up waiting in the full queue later in the day though and it was only about an hour.

You could ride everything in a day without Fastlane, but it would definitely be beneficial for re-rides.

Do you have a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass (I know you're closer to Cedar Point so I assume you might)? Are you planning to get there at opening?

I don't have a CF Platinum Pass (I'll likely get one for next year; I just moved down to the Ann Arbor area three weeks ago). Also I would plan on getting there near opening or close to it. If it's anything like that Sunday morning I experienced at Cedar Point last year (10 rides in less than three hours), I would be in good shape without FL.

If you get there at opening and don't have Fastlane I STRONGLY suggest riding Firehawk, Flight of Fear, and Backlot right away. They're all sort of near eachother. After that lines won't be a huge issue. You might wait awhile for Mystic Timbers and Diamondback but at least those lines move at a decent pace.

You might want to ride the hang and bang boomerang sort of early too since it's low capacity can impact it's wait times but if you don't need the credit just skip it because it's terrible.

It was great that when we went recently, my kids took my word on the hang n bang boomerang being terrible, and then weren't interested in Firehawk or Flight of Fear, so we didn't even need to worry about those coasters' lines!

If you get there at opening and don't have Fastlane I STRONGLY suggest riding Firehawk, Flight of Fear, and Backlot right away. They're all sort of near eachother. After that lines won't be a huge issue. You might wait awhile for Mystic Timbers and Diamondback but at least those lines move at a decent pace.

You might want to ride the hang and bang boomerang sort of early too since it's low capacity can impact it's wait times but if you don't need the credit just skip it because it's terrible.

Thank you for the tips! I've never been to KI before

My personal hell was going in the "2017 gold pass" parking lane with my Cedar Point platinum pass and not having the gate open. Everyone honking at me. And then I had to do the dreaded cedar fair platinum pass backup maneuver to go into a lane with an attendant as everyone loudly huffed behind me when the reverse lights came on.

So the moral of the story is you need a Kings Island pass to use the automated Kings Island gate.

Oh, and mystic timbers was great.

The last time I rode the hang 'n bang boomerang, my restraint opened up a notch going into the cobra roll and I about had a heart attack. Don't plan on riding again anytime soon.

The same thing happened to me on BTR at SFOG releasing from the chain. I know now that it was just not latched in that position, and is perfectly normal and I wasn't in any real danger, but at the time I was terrified lol!