TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

The weather looks kind of crappy, so we'll see. 50% chance of rain with temps in the mid 50's for the high. Not sure if I should buy FL+ ahead of time, or not.

The only day I can recommend you ever buy FL+ ahead of time is July 4th. Any other day is a gamble.

Quality Inn & Suites

4110 State Road 42

Mason, OH, US, 45040

I don't recall anything bad about the room in October 2015 other than Google maps took us through a neighborhood from the park and right where it hit the main road the bridge was closed so we had to backtrack quite a bit. Woops.

It's really cheap (especially prepay or AAA). It's 10 min away but we booked there again for June so I guess it couldn't have been horrible as I didn't write a scathing review on Google or an email to management. Staying there again in June and paying 63.99 + tax.

Seems like I recall reading a trip report from thrillrider talking about the interesting visit that he and his family had at the Super 8 near KI. I can't find the link to his report otherwise I would post it.

My opinion? Save your money and stay at the Hampton.

Yes...

It was one of the nastiest hotel stays we have ever had. Everything from bed bugs, to a very rude front desk clerk. If the bed bugs were not enough, the carpet looked like someone got shot and left a big pool of blood stain. They would not give us the crib that they confirmed we were supposed to get, so our 1yo at the time had to sleep in a wagon. Cigarette burns everywhere, cobwebs and a bunch of dead bugs, toilet was broken, hair all over the bathroom floor, moldy tub and shower, and so much more. This was the first time we felt the need to call the corporate number and complain.

A few weeks ago, we stayed at the microtel near the park and had no issues. Just as long as you know that they don't have an elevator. I think I paid around $70-$80 per night.

I would definitely rethink staying at that nasty super 8.

^Wow that Super 8 was pretty bad.They are definitely hit and miss, some are decent and updated while others are down right disgusting. We stayed in one with damp carpet and we had sores on our legs (I'm assuming from bed bugs) the next day.

I stayed at Comfort Inn during Coasterstock 2015. Can confirm a fairly comfortable visit with no complaints. They had to give me a handicap room due to room availability issues, so I had a king size bed all to myself! (so. much. bedspace. 0.0)

It all depends on weather. If you're getting a season pass I wouldn't get Fast Lane, but that's just me.

I understand your viewpoint, but I live a little more than 2 hours away from the park. So, I typically only get to go a few times a year and I want to make the most out of every trip. I'll check out the weather and see how busy the park is, and I'll go from there.

We stayed at a hotel at the Mason exit just south of KI and I wanted to think that it was a Holiday In Express and it was within walking distance to Carrabbas (for the win).

In checking Google Maps, it looks likes there is a Quality Inn and Suites there now...am I losing my mind or wasn't this a Holiday Inn Express before? Regardless, we stayed there one year and it was nice and quite reasonable.

And of course, we hit Carrabbas for a delicious dinner.

There is a Holiday Inn Express on Mason-Montgomery exit. It's actually on Natorp Blvd. We always stay at that one when we go to Kings Island. They have a decent breakfast plus there's a Graeter's Ice Cream parlor right out front. Only 2 more weeks and we'll be staying there.

Comfort Inn's are usually pretty good.

Jim

I'm going to be at KI on Monday and Tuesday, May 15 and 16. I have a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass for the first time this year, and I will get Fast Lane passes as needed. Since the park closes at 8:00, I know I won't get any true night rides on the Beast. Would rides on the Beast at 7:30 be noticeably better than rides earlier in the day? I was thinking of going to the Beast about 5:00 and spending the rest of the day riding it. What do you guys think of that strategy?

I am a wooden coaster guy, so my goal is to get as many rides as possible on the 4 wooden coasters. I rode Woodstock Express for the first time at KD last summer and loved it. I can't wait to try out Mystic Timbers.

There is a Holiday Inn Express on Mason-Montgomery exit. It's actually on Natorp Blvd. We always stay at that one when we go to Kings Island. They have a decent breakfast plus there's a Graeter's Ice Cream parlor right out front. Only 2 more weeks and we'll be staying there.

Comfort Inn's are usually pretty good.

Jim

So I wasn't losing my marbles...the HIE is the one we stayed at when we walked to Carrabba's. It was nice and quite reasonable.

I'm going to be at KI on Monday and Tuesday, May 15 and 16. I have a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass for the first time this year, and I will get Fast Lane passes as needed. Since the park closes at 8:00, I know I won't get any true night rides on the Beast. Would rides on the Beast at 7:30 be noticeably better than rides earlier in the day? I was thinking of going to the Beast about 5:00 and spending the rest of the day riding it. What do you guys think of that strategy?

I am a wooden coaster guy, so my goal is to get as many rides as possible on the 4 wooden coasters. I rode Woodstock Express for the first time at KD last summer and loved it. I can't wait to try out Mystic Timbers.

Since you have a platinum pass, make sure to take note of ERT after closing for Mystic Timbers on the 16th

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/play/events/mystic-timbers-tuesdays

I'm heading to KI this Saturday. I plan on getting the FL+, because we like to ride whatever and whenever we damn well please at this park. I usually feel pretty good about that decision, as long as it's not a complete waste of money. Any estimates for crowds this weekend?

I am curious how Saturday went for you sir, did you end up needing FL?

So assuming KI won't be getting one of the 4 coasters Cedar Fair has said some of the parks would get, I would personally love to see a Gerstlauer Sky Roller on the old Flight Commander pad. Maybe even name it Flight Commander?

So assuming KI won't be getting one of the 4 coasters Cedar Fair has said some of the parks would get, I would personally love to see a Gerstlauer Sky Roller on the old Flight Commander pad. Maybe even name it Flight Commander?

I missed seeing where Cedar Fair said that the parks will be getting 4 more coasters. Would you mind giving me a link to it? Sounds like great news. Thanks.

I missed seeing where Cedar Fair said that the parks will be getting 4 more coasters. Would you mind giving me a link to it? Sounds like great news. Thanks.

http://coasterforce.com/cedar-fair-new-coasters-2018/

Hopefully this turns out to be true, as I'd like to see smaller CF parks get some love.

http://Bojangles' Famous Chicken 'n Biscuits.com/cedar-fair-new-coasters-2018/

Hopefully this turns out to be true, as I'd like to see smaller CF parks get some love.

There's a very good chance that this is true. In the conference call they specifically said that one of the coaster types would be brand new and a chicken and biscuit coaster would definitely fit the bill. It's great to see Cedar Fair on the cutting edge of innovation. I'm also happy they seem to partnering with Bojangles'. While it's certainty not my favorite southern chicken restaurant, this partnership would allow the coaster to be open on Sundays and that's a major win in my book.

http://Bojangles' Famous Chicken 'n Biscuits.com/cedar-fair-new-coasters-2018/

There's a very good chance that this is true. In the conference call they specifically said that one of the coaster types would be brand new and a chicken and biscuit coaster would definitely fit the bill. It's great to see Cedar Fair on the cutting edge of innovation. I'm also happy they seem to partnering with Bojangles'. While it's certainty not my favorite southern chicken restaurant, this partnership would allow the coaster to be open on Sundays and that's a major win in my book.

Would the MCBR include a drive-thru window where you can buy chicken? If so, I'm sold.