TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

So, everyone seems to be hyping up this shed thing.... What happens if this 'whats in the shed' turns into a huge let down?

We'll have to wait for media day (that is if coaster groups can go) or opening day to find out. I honestly hope it's not a let down.

Does anyone else say that these pictures are taken from a drone? They where removed from KICentral and they said "It looks to be shot from a drone".....

What happens if this 'whats in the shed' turns into a huge let down?

It won't be a letdown if people keep their expectations semi-reasonable but they won't and I can't wait to watch the b*tching.

PS: After looking at those aerial shots and getting a better idea for the ride's location within the park I'd be welling to bet pretty confidently that Mystic Timbers will be running for Winterfest along with Diamondback. This may have already been obvious to people who were more familiar with the park's layout than me but I figured I'd throw in my two cents anyway.

Does anyone else say that these pictures are taken from a drone? They where removed from KICentral and they said "It looks to be shot from a drone".....

The second picture has something white / blurry (like a window / wing) in the lower left corner so I thought it was taken from a plane... but I have no idea. It's very plausible since the park is only about 30 miles from a major airport. Plus if it was a drone it's very possible that it was over Western Row Rd, the nearby housing developments and not over the park.

Edited by coasterbill

I'd be welling to bet pretty confidently that Mystic Timbers will not be running for Winterfest along with Diamondback.

Fixed that for you. The park has already said that the train and carousel will be open. Im pretty sure Cedar Fair and Kings Island care about their rides Unlike a certain chain called six flags.

The park has already said that the train and carousel will be open. Im pretty sure Cedar Fair and Kings Island care about their rides Unlike a certain chain called six flags.

Saying that the train and carousel will be open doesn't mean that nothing else will. Since the train is open the path by Mystic Timbers and Diamondback will be open and I fully expect them to run.

The average temperatures for the Cincinatti area are over 40 degrees daily through the end of December so on any average day in December they would be able to run them even if they did follow the manufacturers recommendations (which at Carowinds, Kings Dominion and Cedar Point means a 40 degree start up temperature for a B&M and less for a wood coaster so I assume the same is true for all of their parks).

Unlike a certain chain called six flags.

Just in America, Dollywood, Silver Dollar City, Luna Park, Six Flags Great Adventure, Six Flags St Louis, Six Flags America, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Sesame Place, Hersheypark and others run coasters in December in cold climates.

Also, Worlds of Fun (a Cedar Fair park) has stated that Spinning Dragons and Patriot will run for Winterfest and they have slightly lower average temperatures in the month of December than Kings Island.

Running coasters when it's cold doesn't mean that the parks don't "care about their rides". That's one of the single dumbest things I've ever heard.

I'd be welling to bet pretty confidently that Mystic Timbers will not be running for Winterfest along with Diamondback.

Fixed that for you. The park has already said that the train and carousel will be open. Im pretty sure Cedar Fair and Kings Island care about their rides Unlike a certain chain called six flags.

so more than two rides can't be open?

Different owner, different style. I expect DB and probably one other coaster to be open. Maybe backlot?

Possibly FOF?

I doubt it. They need to cut paths off for staffing / budget, plus every area you have open is an area you have to decorate. Most parks cut off a lot of areas for their winter events. Flight of Fear would be able to operate of course, but to get to it you'd have to open up a ton of areas they won't otherwise want to open.

lol.thumb.jpg.7023ec1079af5fb11415faef6c452241.jpg

This is my guess. The paths are easy to cut off in the areas I selected with fencing, you know the kids area and most / all of the kids rides will be open so that path will be open, plus they have to get back to the train which they stated would be open. With this plan they have a few outdoor show venues for smaller shows and the Kings island theater for their big Christmas show.

Edited by coasterbill

^Yeah I'm pretty confident in this or something very similar. They could even cut a little more if they wanted (like Viking Fury). They could also easily cut the path under Surf Dog and cut the pathway to the waterpark a little further up so they could cut Surf Dog and the 3 rides behind it for staffing.

We know the carousel will run, we know the train will run. I'd almost guarantee Eiffel tower will run and it'll probably be very popular because people love tall observation style rides where they can see the Christmas lights from above (Skyway and Big Wheel get longer lines during Holiday in the Park than any other time of year at Great Adventure). The kids area will need to be open (every holiday event has the kids area open, and those rides run in all weather conditions) and I feel like Diamondback and Mystic Timbers will run since the nearby paths will need to be open to allow people to get to the train anyway.

They Ran Banshee on Media day when I believe it was something like 30 degrees that morning.

I can attest to this! That day was so freaking cold! Probably the coldest weather I've ever been at an amusement park in...

BTW, I loved seeing those pictures of Mystic Timbers, and I am definitely looking forward to riding it with my kids come April!

Why are people so obsessed with the old Winterfest? That was over a decade ago and was put on by an entirely different company with a different ownership group. You should really be more focused on what the current ownership group is doing with Winterfest at their other parks since they'll be the ones running it.

Worlds of Fun (another Cedar Fair park) has confirmed (go to 6:33) that they're running a B&M invert and spinner in a colder (but comparable) climate. The average high is above the start up temperature every single day of the event at KI even if they do decide to listen to that crap for some reason.

What's the chance they will hang lights off the top like they used to?

100% since they mentioned it on the website.

The focal point of WinterFest will be the world’s largest Christmas tree display with the park’s iconic 314-foot tall Eiffel Tower decorated with thousands of lights which will be seen for miles.

And it's the focal point of the concept art.

I really don't care what is open for Winterfest, I love that I'll be able to take the kids to the park for an even longer season even if it is just to take in the lights and atmosphere. Any rides that may be open are just a bonus.

So, everyone seems to be hyping up this shed thing.... What happens if this 'whats in the shed' turns into a huge let down?

If that is in fact drop track being installed in the shed, it would be the best kind of 'let down' there is, another drop! The one on Verbolten is great every time IMO. Even though you don't drop far it still surprises me every time. I am hoping it is a drop section with even a little bit of SFX.

I loved seeing those aerial photos, Mystic Timbers is going to be a great addition to an already stellar line up of coasters.

I just don't think that will be the case. Brakes - Slow roll to the shed - 10 foot drop - slow lift back - slow roll into the station... It just seems pointless, as opposed to the launch immediately following the drop on Verboten in a high themed building. That, and I would have thought we would have seen some type of construction aside from your standard building. I would imagine the drop track would be constructed before the building is placed around it.

If that is in fact drop track being installed in the shed, it would be the best kind of 'let down' there is, another drop! The one on Verbolten is great every time IMO. Even though you don't drop far it still surprises me every time. I am hoping it is a drop section with even a little bit of SFX.

I loved seeing those aerial photos, Mystic Timbers is going to be a great addition to an already stellar line up of coasters.

I was about another foot or two on that drop from completely sh*tting my pants when I first rode Verbolten.