TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

The great operations at Knoebels have more to do with having a lot of staff and incredibly simplistic loading procedures than actual hustle. On Phoenix and Twister it takes no time at all to check the lap bars (especially on Phoenix since they're just buzz bars) and since they don't have seatbelts. On rides like the flyers they actually check the restraints while the ride is moving just by looking to see if the belt is clipped, and unlike the corporate parks you can easily unlock them yourself when the ride is over (though you can do that at a corporate park too with a set of car keys).

Knoebels is more of a display in how over-the-top safety checks have become at corporate parks than it is in actual outstanding operations. If you want to go somewhere and watch crews really hustle then you'd be more impressed by a park like Cedar Point. The Gatekeeper crew for example has to follow a ton of safety procedures, check seatbelts, check restraints, go run to a stupid rubber pad, do a circle of clears and a visual scan before sending the train and they often do it in less than 60 seconds. On Phoenix you just walk around, push down like 4 bars, let people throw loose articles wherever they want and then the guy at the panel sends the train once they're all down. They're only limited by how fast people can get to their seats if they run one train. When they run 2 they usually sit around for awhile once the train is clear and ready so they don't block stop it at the top of the lift by being too fast.

It's at the end of this video.

This is a pretty average dispatch time for Phoenix.

Jeezum Crow, they're not even rushing it. Makes me wonder how fast they could really get it out over there. It would take some running around and some really cooperative enthusiasts, but I think 15 seconds is realistic under the right conditions.

Wow thats a fast dispatch time! Why cant major parks be like that? It would go so much quicker...it seems major parks make a project out of it....thing is seems corporate parks listen to much to the sue crazy soccer moms where as family owned are like "just as long as they have the lap bar down they are ready to go!" Family owned parks want to make money just as any other business however they also care about people enjoying their time there too instead of only worried about crazy things they will cost them their precious dough....

Okay, I know I was told to not make any more Busch Gardens jokes, but come on! Construction for Mystic Timbers is just flying along. It's just weird that the larger, more complex coaster, whose construction was started well after InvadR's, will quite possibly get done months before the other.

Kings Island is closed, BGW is still open. I'm sure they have to be extra careful when guests are around and that probably slows things down. But who cares? As long as it opens at some point, does it really matter that another coaster was further along in construction in December? I'm sure BGW is fine with what has been completed so far, which seems to be a decent amount.

Okay, I know I was told to not make any more Busch Gardens jokes, but come on! Construction for Mystic Timbers is just flying along. It's just weird that the larger, more complex coaster, whose construction was started well after InvadR's, will quite possibly get done months before the other.

One could almost argue that when kings island was in operation, they still got more done. I'm not sure how secluded bushes coaster is, but kings islands construction never really got that close to the midways.

Kings Island is closed, BGW is still open. I'm sure they have to be extra careful when guests are around and that probably slows things down. But who cares? As long as it opens at some point, does it really matter that another coaster was further along in construction in December? I'm sure BGW is fine with what has been completed so far, which seems to be a decent amount.

Construction for Mystic Timbers is just flying along. It's just weird that the larger, more complex coaster, whose construction was started well after InvadR's, will quite possibly get done months before the other.

I think a large factor in the construction progress lies in attention to detail. That of which IvadR seems to have much more, as it is a terrain hugging machine. Let alone any other themeing surprises BGW has in store.

Edited by prozach626

Construction for Mystic Timbers is just flying along. It's just weird that the larger, more complex coaster, whose construction was started well after InvadR's, will quite possibly get done months before the other.

I think a large factor in the construction progress lies in attention to detail. That of which IvadR seems to have much more, as it is a terrain hugging machine. Let alone any other themeing surprises BGW has in store.

Not my quote but yes, I agree with you. InvadR has much more going into it than just a shed.

Not my quote but yes, I agree with you. InvadR has much more going into it than just a shed.

speaking of the shed, construction near the shed has started, Footers seem to be in place and ready for track installation! http://pixelcaster.com/live/kingsisland/diamondback.html

Kings Island sent out a survey and this one was very interesting to me and would make me happy if it went through. It was asking about the souvenir bottle and if the person would prefer to have a bottleless unlimited drink program similar to how the all season dining works, scan your pass get your drink in disposable cup instead of having to carry around the bottle all summer. I am fully on board with parks going to it being on the pass vs carrying a bottle.

IMG_8546.thumb.PNG.61c4f591d3089e4d3e5bf3aad2d2a847.PNG

On of the pages from the survey.

My environmentalist/sustainability side wants to say "No! It saves the environment more if everyone reuses their cups!"

However, it's been such a pain in the you-know-where to have to carry those darned cups around. I really enjoyed the free drinks all day when we went to Kentucky Kingdom, and it was similar in that when you wanted a soda, you just went up and showed your wristband and got one. Then, when we were done, we would throw away our cup and board the ride. No need to put a reusable cup in one of the bins.

And, when you want to join coasterbill in an adult beverage, you can toss your sugary drink for a different kind of sugar.

My environmentalist/sustainability side wants to say "No! It saves the environment more if everyone reuses their cups!"

However, it's been such a pain in the you-know-where to have to carry those darned cups around...when we were done, we would throw away our cup and board the ride. No need to put a reusable cup in one of the bins.

As a ride op at Valleyfair, getting people to throw away the disposable cups was incredibly annoying as they couldn't be taken past the turnstiles. And as someone who has cleaned up many a garbage bag full of liquid, this just seems like a big mess, especially on busy days at the turnstiles--because someone has to go get those bags. Again, there's the environmental factor and I have no idea what the recycling policies are at Kings Island so they must know what they're doing. But the cups do seem like a good idea on paper instead of the bottles for the passholders. I wonder if it would be the same for the single day bottles or not. In any case, I'm interested in hearing what the KI staff have to say on this topic.

I had this same thought but I just decided to keep it to myself and started wondering when the hell I became such a tree-hugger. Then again if someone told me that it was worse to produce slightly less huge plastic souvenir cups that all end up in the garbage than slightly more recyclable paper cups I wouldn't question it. I don't know how this stuff works.