TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

That is a rather odd looking footer for a wooden coaster

I believe that they are trying to reduce the amount on footers/concrete in the reservoir. Im interested to see at what points are White Water and Timbers interacting. I know where the first tower for watching/ train shed and patch station are are two interactions (one gong into tunnel and one going out of tunnel).

Heading out to Kings Island to take the Midgets to their first adult Halloween event. Pre-scare Boo-feet? Check! Skeleton Keys preordered? Check! Motel for Friday and Saturday? Check! Am I missing anything?

Enjoy it! I'd totally say hey if I was still in Cincy. Make sure to get some Skyline Chili and some Blue ice cream!

Diamondback in row 2 FTW. Bonus points for at night. The fog creates tunnels in the woods and it's pretty epic.

I'd start them off with Madam Fatale's (in the Crypt) indoor haunt since I found it not to be very scary, but more so impressively detailed. It's not too long either. It's not very bloody/gorey from what I remember either, which could be a good introduction compared to the Slaghterhouse/Board to Death mazes that are pretty intense.

I've been meaning to post the few pics I took last Saturday. But I just want to say...

I hath redeemed mine self!

I went to Haunt alone, and managed to go through Cavern of Terror (which I still thought was pretty scary! I guess it just depends what you find scary... I'm not a huge fan of mannequins, but I'm cool with clowns, so I'd say CarnEvil would be a good starter maze). andddd...

I went through Board 2 Death! It was still scary but not as bad. I still hold to my memory that the first time it was darker, or at least, my eyes couldn't see as well. This time, I could see the path around the thimble and wheelbarrow a lot easier, and I could see that that's what they were. Didn't see the bunny/rat, I kinda rushed through that room.

Also, I met some cool guys who I joined for Blackout and Carnevil. Blackout...THAT TALL THING IS STILL THE MOST TERRIFYING THING AT HAUNT!! I couldn't even look at it!

Ended the night with front row Beast, and waited an hour. I heard Diamondback had a 2 hour line at some point. Needless to say, the park was pretty busy, with long coaster lines, but not too long of maze lines.

IMG_4188.thumb.jpg.27eb5e658b155e3e58191245e5245a2d.jpg

I would have loved to see this ride, the detail in here is fabulous!

IMG_4189.thumb.jpg.254a252077dac96825c8b8bc67ad2b5a.jpg

Why there sir, you look totally fabulous

IMG_4190.thumb.jpg.ef3825f96006337c970e57001f349910.jpg

Why, aren't you a fabulous spider?

IMG_4191.thumb.jpg.44a74371fbe37564485b3aaaefee4d09.jpg

Girl, you so fab!

IMG_4194.thumb.jpg.65ff1972cde36081ba62faceafca49fa.jpg

Work it, work it ancient alien creature that doesn't seem to go with the plotline of this maze! You so fab!

IMG_4196.thumb.jpg.dbdc0384f783b13d935697473325d844.jpg

Fabulous puking punkin

IMG_4198.thumb.jpg.a43985eb61e0b334610e2de486eae556.jpg

Fabulous pooping punkin (Seriously, who thinks of these things?)

IMG_4200.thumb.jpg.cc11dc4bbe295e34bb8367dc17106cb6.jpg

So fabulous! (Depending on whether you believe in the B&M rattle, subscribe to B&M rattle weekly, have sold your soul to the B&M rattle, or vehemently deny any B&M rattle, in which case you proudly ride Banshee in the back and declare it the best B&M invert in the world, despite other glaringly obvious contenders. )

Nothing wrong with Super 8. Super 8 and Motel 6 are about all I can afford when I go on coaster trips like I did this past May.

There are many things wrong with that Super 8, though. Super 8s are franchised, so they can vary widely from one to another. I've stayed in some that are great and some that are awful. I wouldn't recommend the one near Kings Island at all.

Heading out to Kings Island to take the Midgets to their first adult Halloween event. Pre-scare Boo-feet? Check! Skeleton Keys preordered? Check! Motel for Friday and Saturday? Check! Am I missing anything?

Enjoy it! I'd totally say hey if I was still in Cincy. Make sure to get some Skyline Chili and some Blue ice cream!

Diamondback in row 2 FTW. Bonus points for at night. The fog creates tunnels in the woods and it's pretty epic.

I'd start them off with Madam Fatale's (in the Crypt) indoor haunt since I found it not to be very scary, but more so impressively detailed. It's not too long either. It's not very bloody/gorey from what I remember either, which could be a good introduction compared to the Slaghterhouse/Board to Death mazes that are pretty intense.

They have Graeters and you are telling people to eat the blue stuff?

And you won't like what I have to say about the chili...

They have Graeters and you are telling people to eat the blue stuff?

And you won't like what I have to say about the chili...

I'm a UDF chocolate chip cookie dough kinda guy.

I suppose there are UDF locations near the park?

Looks like there's one on Mason Montgomery not far from the park. They're all over Cincinnati. They make everything in Norwood right next to Xavier University and the UDFs by the HQ had great ice cream and shakes.

Greaters and the French pot way they make their ice cream is great, but I've never been in love.

Screenshot_20161012-080628.thumb.png.e41b4c224ec1a65a8b0e5389254dca12.png

I'm definitely looking forward to riding Mystic Timbers. I know many have been complaining about it because of it's small statue. Yes, it may be the slowest of KI's 3 full-sized woodies, but the twisted layouts of these GCI air time machines that pack a lot of punch for their size and speed. Thus far, the only one I've ridden is SFSTL's American Thunder, which I found to be awesome, and many people rate it as one of the the best at that park. And this one is going to be bigger and faster. GCI is not RMC, but they are still solid.

I visited KI & CP in August and I couldn't help but overhear some people telling ride ops to RMC the Beast. While that would be totally awesome, I think it would destroy a big part of what the beast is all about. I also find the Racer to be too classic for RMC treatment. King's Island is one of the few parks where NONE of the woodies, in my opinion, need to be changed. I would not be opposed to a future addition of an RMC coaster, just as long as they leave their existing woodies the way they are.

BTW, during our August visit, we rode every major roller coaster twice. We rode the Beast 3 times. And as storms threatened, we relocated to "Flight of Fear" and rode it 7 more times before gates closed, and we were about the last people left in the park!

I'm definitely looking forward to riding Mystic Timbers. I know many have been complaining about it because of it's small statue. Yes, it may be the slowest of KI's 3 full-sized woodies, but the twisted layouts of these GCI air time machines that pack a lot of punch for their size and speed. Thus far, the only one I've ridden is SFSTL's American Thunder, which I found to be awesome, and many people rate it as one of the the best at that park. And this one is going to be bigger and faster. GCI is not RMC, but they are still solid.

I visited KI & CP in August and I couldn't help but overhear some people telling ride ops to RMC the Beast. While that would be totally awesome, I think it would destroy a big part of what the beast is all about. I also find the Racer to be too classic for RMC treatment. King's Island is one of the few parks where NONE of the woodies, in my opinion, need to be changed. I would not be opposed to a future addition of an RMC coaster, just as long as they leave their existing woodies the way they are.

BTW, during our August visit, we rode every major roller coaster twice. We rode the Beast 3 times. And as storms threatened, we relocated to "Flight of Fear" and rode it 7 more times before gates closed, and we were about the last people left in the park!

Surprised by Mystic Timbers. KI is the only top CP parks without a Giga, thought that would be their next coaster. They have plenty of space. They are on about 3 to 5 year schedule about..2009 Diamondback, 2014 Banshee. 2017 Mystic Timbers, Giga..2021?

I don't know why they haven't added a giga to KI, other than business sense? It could potentially steal the thunder from their other coasters, which would not be a good thing. Also, I do believe CF may be worried that a KI giga would cut into nearby CP attendance. I believe CF gave KD "Intimator" only as a way to try and bolster their image, which has been struggling, as well as in competition against Busch Gardens. Otherwise, KD hasn't received anything major in recent years, and their "Hurler" looks like it may be closed through next year. I believe Carowinds received one because they are 5 Hours from the next nearest CF park. They are also the CF location nearest to Georgia & Florida. I'm willing to bet their placement of Fury 325 was done, in part, in hopes of drawing some of the populous Georgia and Florida crowd. Canada's Wonderland addition of "Leviathan" made the most sense of all, and it gives Cedar Fair bragging rights for bringing the first giga to Canada. But I don't think that Knott's Berry Farm, CF's most attended park, has a giga either, unless it happened in the last 2 years.

Do you know if Mason, Ohio has a building height limit? Guernee's building height limit, as well as no room to expand, are what have really kept Six Flags Great America from becoming Cedar Point.

Surprised by Mystic Timbers. KI is the only top CP parks without a Giga, thought that would be their next coaster. They have plenty of space. They are on about 3 to 5 year schedule about..2009 Diamondback, 2014 Banshee. 2017 Mystic Timbers, Giga..2021?

I must say too that I Banshee became my favorite inverted roller coasters.

Inverted Roller coasters can sometimes leave me feeling slightly queasy. I've felt slight queasiness on SF's Batman the Ride Clones with CP's Raptor being even worse. So I was a little worried about Banshee, being that same style, but having more inversions. And feeling slightly off from lack of food, sleep & rest before getting onto Banshee, I was really sweating it. But it didn't add to my "off" feeling at all. In fact, we rushed right back and rode it a second time. The inversions are gradual and gentle. You will feel the blood rushing to your feed with all the swoops, but that's no big deal at all. Banshee is also one of my favorite coasters in KI, behind the Beat & Diamondback.

I don't know why they haven't added a giga to KI, other than business sense? It could potentially steal the thunder from their other coasters, which would not be a good thing. Also, I do believe CF may be worried that a KI giga would cut into nearby CP attendance. I believe CF gave KD "Intimator" only as a way to try and bolster their image, which has been struggling, as well as in competition against Busch Gardens. Otherwise, KD hasn't received anything major in recent years, and their "Hurler" looks like it may be closed through next year. I believe Carowinds received one because they are 5 Hours from the next nearest CF park. They are also the CF location nearest to Georgia & Florida. I'm willing to bet their placement of Fury 325 was done, in part, in hopes of drawing some of the populous Georgia and Florida crowd. Canada's Wonderland addition of "Leviathan" made the most sense of all, and it gives Cedar Fair bragging rights for bringing the first giga to Canada. But I don't think that Knott's Berry Farm, CF's most attended park, has a giga either, unless it happened in the last 2 years.

/quote]

Im sure the nc/sc tax credits also helped with Fury alot

With the success of Fury, I wouldn't be surprised if KI gets a giga eventually. However, they really don't need it right now with such a wide selection of decent roller coasters. Diamondback, Banshee, and Beast are the 'big 3' crowd favorites. Flight of Fear, Bat, Stunt Coaster, and Firehawk are great supporting coasters to the big three. Not only that, but their wooden racer still rides pretty well, their mine train is quirky as hell, but fun, and Vortex draws a decent 'love it or hate it' crowd. Now, they're adding another great, but smaller, attraction to round out their collection.

Compare this to Carowinds. Prior to Fury they had Afterburn and Intimidator combined with a Boomerang that still mostly sucked, and a bunch of other completely forgettable coasters. They also don't have a flume or a train in comparison to KI. Carowinds needed a well received giga coaster a lot more than KI does.

A giga at KI wouldn't nearly be as good of an investment at this point as it was at Carowinds. As far as CF worrying about KI competing with CP, I don't think that concerns them. Having two incredibly well rounded parks within close proximity will only give people living nearby and people traveling to the area more of an excuse to buy season passes to be able to hit both massive parks.

Edited by prozach626