TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Looks like KI is under way getting Haunt set up. I know this means we are approaching the end of the season, but for me it is one of the most exciting times of the year, nothing better than coasters and haunted houses!

"Sorority House"? Geewhiz, I can't imagine what the actors will be wearing in there...

Looks like KI is under way getting Haunt set up. I know this means we are approaching the end of the season, but for me it is one of the most exciting times of the year, nothing better than coasters and haunted houses!

"Sorority House"? Geewhiz, I can't imagine what the actors will be wearing in there...

Costumes aside, that is typically one of the better houses in the park. Now and before it was changed to Delta Delta Die.

I'll be making my first trip to Kings Island this Sunday. Did a quick search on here for the best plan of attack, but couldn't find anything recently. Can anyone give me some tips about the best order to knock things out (like hitting Maverick first at CP and Nighthawk first at Carowinds)? And I read that The Beast is best at night, but sunset isn't until after close (8pm), so I might try to hit that last. But then I read it closes early and during fireworks. So what should I expect? Thanks!

Sundays tend to not be that busy, however I would suggest hitting up Firehawk and Flight of Fear first.

Beast, Invertigo, and Diamondback wait times may get to 25mins, but shouldn't exceed that.

Banshee, Racer, Vortex, Bat, Adventure Express should have 10mins or less waits.

I suggest riding Vortex in the 2nd to last row (7-1), and finding middle row of a car on Beast/Racer.

Since the park closes at 8pm there will be no fireworks.

Have a good trip!

Sunday, I will be making my second visit to King's Island. I last visited in 2011 and had a great time.

During my first visit, I read up on all the specs and I so badly wanted to ride the SOB, which was still SBNO at the time. Than I read about the Beast, who's specs seemed to pale in comparison. I could not believe the size of the massive wood structure that stood over almost everything in the park. So I gave the Beast a try and I loved it, right from the first drop. It virtually tied with the Boss at Six Flags St. Louis as my favorite wooden coasters at the time. Both were unseated only last year when I rode Hades 360 at Mt. Olympus Theme Park. I also like Goliath at SFGAM just as much has Hades 360, but I'm not counting it as it doesn't have the real wood feel. These rides make SFGAM's American Eagle feel more unremarkable like CP's Mean Streak.

I'm excited about trying out Mystic Timbers. It is a strange choice for them, but perhaps Cedar Fair is trying to make King's Island the King of wooden coasters track. The type of coaster is similar to SFSTL's American Thunder, which I thoroughly enjoyed. But this Mystic Timbers is significantly taller and a little faster than American Thunder, which is why I think it will still be a great ride. This will mark King's Island's first time as a park with 15 coasters, which will put them in 4th place behind SFMM, CP & CW. They certainly have the land and the crowd attendance to support it, as well as the acreage. As for those who would like to see King's Island become more like Cedar Point or Magic Mountain, With Cedar Point being so nearby, I think it is in their best interest to remain balanced as a family-oriented park, like Six Flags Great America. Us coaster enthusiasts will prefer Cedar Point, but several others, especially families with children, seem to prefer King's Island. Both parks have an attendance that is almost equal.

I'm looking forward to visiting both Cedar Point & King's Island this weekend. Hopefully the driver doesn't loose their keys on the Diamondback this time around. LOL I didn't get to ride the Bat, Flight of Fear, Backlot Stunt Coaster or Adventure Express last time, so I must ride those this time. I purposely skipped Woodstock Express thinking it was a junior coaster, but may ride it this time if my group wants to. I'm also looking forward to Banshee, which may actually make me a little dizzy.

Thanks. I'm guessing you're suggesting Firehawk first for low capacity...same as Nighthawk here at Carowinds.

For maximum darkness on The Beast, I want to ride as late as possible. Is KI like other CF parks, where you just have to be in line at closing (8pm), then they rope it off?

Also, anyone have any food suggestions? Any hidden gems? Would I regret getting Skyline Chili?

Costumes aside, that is typically one of the better houses in the park. Now and before it was changed to Delta Delta Die.

That seems like an awesome concept! No offense to anyone who is/was a part of Greek life, but I'm not a huge fan of it. So whatever murder and mayhem this house suggests, I approve

I'll be making my first trip to Kings Island this Sunday. Did a quick search on here for the best plan of attack, but couldn't find anything recently. Can anyone give me some tips about the best order to knock things out (like hitting Maverick first at CP and Nighthawk first at Carowinds)? And I read that The Beast is best at night, but sunset isn't until after close (8pm), so I might try to hit that last. But then I read it closes early and during fireworks. So what should I expect? Thanks!

Sundays tend to not be that busy, however I would suggest hitting up Firehawk and Flight of Fear first.

Last Sunday was my first time at the park, and I did arrive a bit late and leave a bit early, but it was a lot busier than I thought it would be. Several coasters reached hour+ waits, and most of them were at least 30-40. I think I'm gonna go back this Friday to ride the coasters I didn't get to, hopefully get night rides (esp Beast), and rerides of the ones I liked.

I never reported back after several of you wished me a good time (thank you) and then the thread got sidetracked with an unfortunate comment, but I rode Diamondback, Beast, Vortex, Racer (both sides), Monster, Adventure Express, Drop Tower, Banshee, and Bat. In general I enjoyed everything I rode, except Vortex which was a bit intolerable even for someone who can handle rough coasters usually well. It wasn't quite a "never again" like a coaster of the same name in California which will soon be converted, but bad enough I'll wait before giving it another chance. Banshee was very fun but not too intense and I'm not a fan of the vests. Diamondback had better airtime than I expected. Racer was rougher than I hoped, but better the 2nd time when I sat in a different row. Beast was less rough than I expected and very fun, although I do think it'll ride a lot better in the dark. Bat was a surprise gem, Adventure Express was a lot cuter and funner than I was expecting, and I loved Drop tower!

It's super weird for me to think this will be my new home park now after having SFDK as my home park my whole life, and they are such different parks, but I'm totally psyched because KI seems like an overall awesome park and I'm really looking forward to Haunt! Now, if only they had an RMC...

I'm looking forward to visiting both Cedar Point & King's Island this weekend. Hopefully the driver doesn't loose their keys on the Diamondback this time around. LOL I didn't get to ride the Bat, Flight of Fear, Backlot Stunt Coaster or Adventure Express last time, so I must ride those this time. I purposely skipped Woodstock Express thinking it was a junior coaster, but may ride it this time if my group wants to. I'm also looking forward to Banshee, which may actually make me a little dizzy.

When we were at Kings Island about 3 weeks ago we were walking over towards the white water rapids ride and noticed the netting over the walkway with the various items thrown from Diamondback. They definitely get a collection of items including a tennis shoe lol. I definitely recommend Backlot Stunt Coaster (my hubby isn't a coaster fanatic and he loves it) and Banshee. While I can ride a coaster, I can't do front row seats but I sat in the middle and I was impressed with it. It was a main reason I went to the park as I hadn't rode it yet.

I don't really see what the problem is with Mystic Timbers being like either Prowler or White Lightning. The former was a Golden Ticket winner. Though I do think that the park will eventually get an RMC wooden coaster. My guess is replacing Dinos eventually.

That seems like an awesome concept! No offense to anyone who is/was a part of Greek life, but I'm not a huge fan of it. So whatever murder and mayhem this house suggests, I approve

Last Sunday was my first time at the park, and I did arrive a bit late and leave a bit early, but it was a lot busier than I thought it would be. Several coasters reached hour+ waits, and most of them were at least 30-40. I think I'm gonna go back this Friday to ride the coasters I didn't get to, hopefully get night rides (esp Beast), and rerides of the ones I liked.

I never reported back after several of you wished me a good time (thank you) and then the thread got sidetracked with an unfortunate comment, but I rode Diamondback, Beast, Vortex, Racer (both sides), Monster, Adventure Express, Drop Tower, Banshee, and Bat. In general I enjoyed everything I rode, except Vortex which was a bit intolerable even for someone who can handle rough coasters usually well. It wasn't quite a "never again" like a coaster of the same name in California which will soon be converted, but bad enough I'll wait before giving it another chance. Banshee was very fun but not too intense and I'm not a fan of the vests. Diamondback had better airtime than I expected. Racer was rougher than I hoped, but better the 2nd time when I sat in a different row. Beast was less rough than I expected and very fun, although I do think it'll ride a lot better in the dark. Bat was a surprise gem, Adventure Express was a lot cuter and funner than I was expecting, and I loved Drop tower!

It's super weird for me to think this will be my new home park now after having SFDK as my home park my whole life, and they are such different parks, but I'm totally psyched because KI seems like an overall awesome park and I'm really looking forward to Haunt! Now, if only they had an RMC...

Welcome to the area, Kings Island is a fantastic park. That might a little biased, seeing how it is my home park as well. I was at the park this passed Sunday as well, it was a crowded day, I believe due to the last "operating day" with school starting back up and the wonderful weather that we had. Vortex is a tough ride, but for some reason I keep going back for more and more. There are many great things at the park, once Haunt comes around it gets even better. If you ever have any questions about anything, don't hesitate. Again, welcome and hope you enjoy the area.

P.S. You do have to ride The Beast at night, once Haunt starts up, you can get some great midnight rides on The Beast.

Thanks. I'm guessing you're suggesting Firehawk first for low capacity...same as Nighthawk here at Carowinds.

For maximum darkness on The Beast, I want to ride as late as possible. Is KI like other CF parks, where you just have to be in line at closing (8pm), then they rope it off?

Also, anyone have any food suggestions? Any hidden gems? Would I regret getting Skyline Chili?

If you can, Firehawk is a great place to start, low capacity is an understatement, plus Flight of Fear is right next door and that line tends to get rather long as well. They will leave the line open until closing, so you have up until then to get in line, and yes The Beast you need to ride at night. If you are visiting on an 8p close, then yes try to wait as late as you can to ride it. It's a great ride no matter what, but a lot better at night then during the day. There are two places that I eat at when I eat in the park

1) Skyline Chili, you can't pass it up. However, I have grown up in Cincinnati and have grown up with Skyline Chili. When I lived in Florida for a little time, I had a roommate from Georgia and New York, both of them thought the chili was too spicy.

2) Chicken Shack. If I had to compare this place to another restaurant, it closely resembles Raising Cane's. But, still great food.

P.S. Don't forget to try the blue ice cream. You have to do it. There is one located in Planet Snoopy. Trust me on this one.

Edited by CoasterRench

Soon. Very soon. #verticalconstruction

ALSO would like to address a couple rumors I've been hearing.

1) no bin diamondback- personally hope this is true. Operations and capacity has gone down since the seat belts where added.

2) race For Your Alice Charlie Brown removal - not true by any means. If we where to be torn down the crew (which I am on) would have been notified already. They would've announced it already to.

image.thumb.jpeg.36345f65fce69ee4a68f76fadf69b0e3.jpeg

Photo cred to the parks Twitter

I think the seatbelts on Diamondback are pointless. If Nitro can run without seatbelts, so can Diamondback.

You're correct, but after riding multiple times with TONS of room between myself and the lapbar I'm happy to report that the seat belts don't affect the ride experience at all. No difference between 2016 and 2009 floating around in your seat. Capacity? Different story.

Absolutely. But Cedar Fair loves seatbelts more than life itself.

This.

I can't think of many rides that don't have seatbelts at Cedar Fair parks.

That's very true. The only rides in the Cedar Fair chain that don't have seat belts and redundant belts are swinging ships, shoot the chute rides, log flumes, flying coasters, and carousels.

This.

That's very true. The only rides in the Cedar Fair chain that don't have seat belts and redundant belts are swinging ships, shoot the chute rides, log flumes, flying coasters, and carousels.

CF added seatbelts to the Carousel at GL in 2004. Does anyone know if they are still on the Carousel now that it's located at WOF?

EDIT: CF also added seatbelts to Grizzly Run in 2004/5.

This.

CF added seatbelts to the Carousel at GL in 2004. Does anyone know if they are still on the Carousel now that it's located at WOF?

EDIT: CF also added seatbelts to Grizzly Run in 2004/5.

Yes but, I don't think there are any seat belts on any carousels anymore. But yes, they do have seat belts on river rapids rides. But, that is something a lot of parks have done over the years which aren't in the Cedar Fair chain as well. Another ride I know that doesn't have seat belts is Wonder Mountain's Guardian. It's a dark ride 4-D ineractive coaster which features a roller coaster hill and a 30 foot drop track at the finale.

I wouldn't worry about the seat belts ruining the Diamondback ride experience. There are seat belts on Fury 325. Despite my belt, I slouched back in the seat until we were out of the station, and that drop hand me standing up.

Fury has good capacity with seat belts, too. I'd expect Diamondback to be able to do the same.

Why did they feel the need to put in seatbelts? Did guests complain about feeling "unsafe" (even though they are safe)?

I guess the seat belts were added due to the rattling that the trains produce and also to make some guests feel safer. But, since the seat belts don't tighten as they ratchet and can stretch throughout the ride after being locked I don't see a huge point in them. But, since it doesn't affect the riding experience, I don't mind them.