TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Kings Island sends their wooden trains back to PTC every off-season, so I wonder if they couldn't have them back in time. But again, other parks are able to put these winter events on with limited rides.

But yes, I think having a major E-Ticket ride open will help gain more traffic to the park during this time. We'll wait and see.

I don't get the complaining. The original Winterfest they held basically had the same attractions open - carousel and the train - and it was still very popular. This is basically what they are doing here. Given that winters up here can be harsher compared to places like Dollywood and Carowinds, this will at least be something to look forward to during the holiday season and would be worth the drive from Cleveland.

I think the complaining is due to the fact that we've seen places like SFGAdv run a bunch of coasters in the extreme cold, so now we are expecting other places to do the same. I think a lot of people are thinking, "If Great Adventure can run Nitro during the winter, why can't KI run Diamondback in the winter? The temperatures are about the same for both parks

Kings Island sends their wooden trains back to PTC every off-season, so I wonder if they couldn't have them back in time.

But they don't need to open the wood coasters if they don't want. Diamondback should really run though. It's right in the kids area (which should really be open).

Adventure express could be an option. And let's not forget that they have an indoor coaster as well. Backlot coaster and the kiddy coasters might be another option.

Rides that could run in the weather regardless of the cold temperatures...

Boo hill....could also do a Christmas overlay

Bumper cars

Scrambler

Monster

Flying eagles

Pipe scream

Kiddy rides

Pirate boat

Triple play

Rides I wouldn't want to ride in sub zero temps...

Wind seeker

Delirium

Any coaster over 100 feet

Water rides

Adventure express could be an option. And let's not forget that they have an indoor coaster as well. Backlot coaster and the kiddy coasters might be another option.

Rides that could run in the weather regardless of the cold temperatures...

Boo hill....could also do a Christmas overlay

Bumper cars

Scrambler

Monster

Flying eagles

Pipe scream

Kiddy rides

Pirate boat

Triple play

Rides I wouldn't want to ride in sub zero temps...

Wind seeker

Delirium

Any coaster over 100 feet

Water rides

They'll need to section off the park so they don't have to staff / decorate / plow all of it so anything near the back of the park is probably out, but things near the front (like Diamondback sans splashdown) should really run. Windseeker has no chance of opening because of it's location but Sky Screamer at Great Adventure was very popular due to the desire to see the lights from above. The ferris wheel had huge lines for the same reason.

A ride like Windseeker feels much colder than a coaster. You'd be surprised how the cold doesn't bother you much on a coaster since you're focused on enjoying the ride (until you hit the brake run when you realize how cold you really are), but with a ride like Windseeker / Sky Screamer it's freezing. I'd still take it for a ride though.

Kings Island sends their wooden trains back to PTC every off-season, so I wonder if they couldn't have them back in time. But again, other parks are able to put these winter events on with limited rides.

But yes, I think having a major E-Ticket ride open will help gain more traffic to the park during this time. We'll wait and see.

Kings Island does the PTC maintenance in house. Cedar Point sends the trains off.

^ Really? I swear I saw it somewhere that PTC rebuilds the trains for them every year.

Anyway, I've been to the parks on enough cold days in october to where it took well into the late afternoon before the steel coasters could run but all of the wood ones were operating, so naturally, I'd figure the park would at least have those operating. But if winterfest is a afternoon to evening event, it could be warm enough.

Just thinking, people.

A ride like Windseeker feels much colder than a coaster. You'd be surprised how the cold doesn't bother you much on a coaster since you're focused on enjoying the ride (until you hit the brake run when you realize how cold you really are), but with a ride like Windseeker / Sky Screamer it's freezing. I'd still take it for a ride though.

My wife and I rode Windseeker last year during a cold, Haunt night... It was a HUGE mistake! Almost as soon as we started up, we regretted the decision, and couldn't wait for the ride to end!

^^ It is actually easy to check. PTC provides a list complete with pictures and dates on what trains have been sent back on their website. They currently have details going back to 2011.

I do not remember Kings Island ever running any of the coasters during Winterfest in the past. With the event 15 months away the park has plent of time to add additional attractions. If the park wants they can run the coasters when it is below freezing if they add brake heaters and heaters below the station to keep the wheels and lubricants on the train hot. Assuming they can get permission from the manufacturers. Ohio state law requires parks to follow all manufacturers guidelines.

(Diamondback sans splashdown) should really run.

Or they could let the pond freeze and take down the fence so people could go out there. Sell cups and flavored syrup. Boom: Build your own Sno-Cones.

Or they could fill the pond with Hot chocolate since it'll be cold and it's self-serve hot chocolate.

Step 1: sell cups - step 2:? - step 3: profit! The options are endless!

Forgive me... it's a slow Friday at work...

I'm going to the park this weekend with a friend for my sister's soccer tournament. We'll be there both Saturday and Sunday. How crowded do you guys think it'll be? Would we need a fast lane? It's supposed to rain quite a bit Saturday so I'm hoping that might scare off crowds.

As a worker at the park and I've talked to people from other rides. IM GLAD TRAIN AND CAROUSEL ARE THE ONLY RIDES OPEN. the last day in 2014, nothing was opened because it was like 20 degrees. 3/4 of the rides at Ki cannot operate under either 35 degrees or 45 degrees. We'll leave it at that.

As a worker at the park and I've talked to people from other rides. IM GLAD TRAIN AND CAROUSEL ARE THE ONLY RIDES OPEN. the last day in 2014, nothing was opened because it was like 20 degrees. 3/4 of the rides at Ki cannot operate under either 35 degrees or 45 degrees. We'll leave it at that.

Nah they can run, you just have to want it bad enough. Six Flags Great Adventure blew that whole "minimum temperature limit on B&M's" thing all the way to hell where it belongs last winter.

image.thumb.jpg.c5097e39f5ba1097fd8c0bea96013b2d.jpg

Maybe our coasters are different because they're Jersey Strong. Lol (spoiler alert: they're not, man up Cedar Fair, stop listening to B&M. That's boring).

PS: 30 degrees is a god damn heat wave. We ride it when it was in the 20's too. They didn't close a single ride because of low temps for the entire event and the world didn't end.

Kentucky Rumbler and Thunderhead run in December

It would be a huge plus for the park to have Mystic Timber's first season extended like that into Winterfest! And I'm sure with it under construction during the same time as WinterFest planning, it would be easier to pull off.

And besides, who doesn't want to ride a brand new GCI in the winter?!?

Nah they can run, you just have to want it bad enough. Six Flags Great Adventure blew that whole "minimum temperature limit on B&M's" thing all the way to hell where it belongs last winter.

The difference between New Jersey and Ohio is that Ohio has a law which to my knowledge no other state has which requires parks to follow all manufacturer recommendations. I do not know that B&M does have a minimum temperature. It is very possible they just have guidelines such as needing brake heaters at a specific temperature. I would bet this is a problem which the park can work around. But Kings Island will need permission from B&M for Diamondback or Banshee.

What a great couple of days. While today had much longer lines, there was much more to tell about. So, my two stories from today:

First one, not exactly a story but anyway, we rode Diamondback when we got there, around 11:00. Wow, both the ride and its crew were HAULING. William from Diamondback, if you ever see this, God bless you, you're amazing. If any of you were watching this morning, and maybe even now, (I don't know, we ended on Banshee) they were dispatching around the time that the train in front hit the MCBR. William was on the mic, and he constantly repeated "Everyone in the station, see those brakes over there? We don't want a train to ever have to stop on those. If they do stop, that means a longer wait for you, so get on quickly, etc." This really did work, it increased the overall energy of riders, and promoted them to move much faster than normal. Yesterday, I know it was stacking every time, so this was a major improvement. Huge props to William, leading everyone, and the other ops, who were also running extremely quick.

Second story happened on Banshee. We were waiting in line for the front when someone on the teal train barfed. They had to clean that one up, taking about 5-10 minutes. Well, they finally got it cleaned and dispatch. The blue train rolls in. A bigger lady, who had to be slammed into the seat with the full body weight of a man. So, he also has to push her restraint down to get it to release. Well, she gets up in a rage of fury, storming over to the operator room/door, pounding on the door, ready to kill someone. She screams "YOU F*CKER!", only to receive no response from that operator. So she storms down the stairs that lead up into that room, and stops the next worker. She screams in his face saying that she was having an asthma attack. She said that he "ignored her cry for help" and didn't let her out. She said goes on to say, to every op, and scream it, "You should be ashamed! All of you! Shame on you!" This also included backup from her smaller friend, saying things like "Yeah! Ashamed!" As both of them furiously wave and point their fingers at everyone. They finally quit, and leave. I'm pretty sure they harassed the picture people in the gift shop too, as we saw her outside of the station while we were being loaded. She was screaming something at people around the area. Probably telling people around not to ride, or something along those lines. Now, I get asthma and all that is very nerve wracking, and all, but what would you like him to do!? He obviously has to clean that up, and unless you would prefer barf all over everything, you might wanna stop. Also, they warn you about risks that you're taking by riding and when to avoid it if you have certain conditions. Gotta love GP people. This belongs in the GP thread I'd say. Maybe I'll post this story there too But there was a positive to this story. There were two ops together as my train pulled in. I heard him say "Shaaaaaaame!" and that honestly made my day

So there was my #kibestday !!